You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Newest buys. I think I need help.....

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) Alright folks, I am starting to think that I need way more help for my habit than just me. I PROMISED myself I wouldn't buy any books this year until I had gotten my to-read down to under 50, but in the ever imortal words of Britney Spears, "Oops I did it again"
Is it just that I have no control?? Why is reading so addicting?? Or more to the point, Why is buying so addicting?? Absolutely no control I tell ya. none! For example, here is the list of my recent purchases/aquireings *head hanging in shame* and keep in mind, this is only the last 2 months or so:

I Love Everybody (and Other Atrocious Lies) True Tales of a Loudmouth Girl
The Serpent's Tale
Quicksilver
A Canticle for Leibowitz
The City & the City
The Zookeeper's Wife A War Story
Comfort Food
The View from Mount Joy A Novel
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Mysterious Benedict Society
The Sugar Queen
Iron Council
In the Woods
The Blue Notebook
Tattoo Machine Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink
Rumo And His Miraculous Adventures
Children of the Vampire

Does anyone else have this problem?? Oh, and btw, I am starting to think that half.com may be the devil. :)

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelgirvan) | 13 comments I have completely given up trying to control my book buying addiction now. The books control me!
I really don't know why it's so addictive. But books are fairly cheap, so it's not too terrible an addiction ;)
I can't resist a bargain, that's my downfall. I go into a charity shop planning to quickly scan the bookshelves but before I know it I'm dropping a big pile of books onto the counter. Oops.

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Heather wrote: "Alright folks, I am starting to think that I need way more help for my habit than just me. I PROMISED myself I wouldn't buy any books this year until I had gotten my to-read down to under 50, but i..."

LOL-1/2.com IS the devil!! I am COMPLETELY out of control. I ordered myself a present for Mother's Day of eight books. Since then I've picked up a bunch at a used book store, paperbackswap, garage sales, a library sale, another order from Better World Books, Abebooks and I even bought one new at B&N. Tomorrow we have to travel to a neighboring city that has two great used bookstores across the street from each other. Do you think I'll get out of there without another bunch of books? Ha- fat chance. For me, it's an addiction to finding and owning the books I want to read. I love to spend time looking through them and organizing my bookshelves. I know it is a form of addiction (honestly). Isn't it called bibliophilia? But, I have to say, it's my only addiction and form of entertainment. It helps me relax and I'm not hurting anyone. My son is the center of my world and gets my undivided attention all day. I spend time doing "book stuff" when he is napping/sleeping AFTER I get all my stuff done around the house. I don't drink, smoke, drug, gamble or really even watch a lot of tv. I work hard all day as a mother. I don't see a problem with it!!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) I too am taken over with bibliophilia Jaime. I also spend a lot of time organizing my bookshelves, and I even have an obsession with keeping my excel spreadsheet horrificilly up to date with all kinds of math to see the avg length of my books, how long it takes me to read them, what I have left, the list goes on.

We have a problem alright, but perhaps it's a good thing. Jaime, what have you purchased in the last 2 months??

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 70 comments Hello Heather: My latest buys:

1. Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed.
2. The Bark of the Dogwood
3. The Uncommon Reader
4. The Guernesey Literary and Potato Peel Society
5. Whale Song

I am going downtown tomorrow night... we will be passing by the World's Biggest Book Store....I am hoping my friends will want to stop in just for a peek....
Happy reading.....

message 6: by Jaime (last edited Jun 04, 2009 03:58PM) (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Heather wrote: "I too am taken over with bibliophilia Jaime. I also spend a lot of time organizing my bookshelves, and I even have an obsession with keeping my excel spreadsheet horrificilly up to date with all ki..."

Okay. This is really not good and I TYPICALLY do not buy/swap this many books in this amount of time. I'm not sure what has gotten into me lately. Since May 1st:

Bought through ebay 1/2 books, AbeBooks, Better World Books-

Spinners
Scarlet Moon (once upon a time series) Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood
Sirena
Midnight Pearls A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid"
The Magic Circle
The Nightingale
The Old Wives' Fairy Tale Book
The Bloody Chamber
The Penelopiad The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus
Fitcher's Brides

Swapped through PBS-
Spindle's End
Tam Lin
The Storyteller's Daughter
Jack of Kinrowan Jack the Giant-Killer and Drink Down the Moon
Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast
Briar Rose
Unaccustomed Earth
The Turn of the Screw
Bittersweet
Ella Minnow Pea A Novel in Letters
The Sun, the Moon, & the Stars
Snow White, Blood Red
Black Thorn, White Rose
Hard Times An Oral History of the Great Depression

Library Sales/Garage Sales
Fools Crow
The Persian Pickle Club
Daughters
Two Old Women An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival
Billy Bathgate
Crossing California
Blue Rodeo
Breaking Her Fall
The Big House A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
Encyclopedia of North American Indians Native American History, Culture, and Life From Paleo-Indians to the Present

Used Book store/Borders/Barnes and Noble-
Transformations
Rose Daughter
Wonder Tales Six French Stories of Enchantment
The Beckoning Fair One
The Soul Thief A Novel
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Saul and Patsy
And the Norton Anthology of American Literature Vol A,B, D (Border's had a sale-buy two bargain books, get one free and I couldn't resist)

Yeah, it's a problem. But, in all fairness, I only paid full price for 3 of these- Sould Thief, Grimm's and Rose Daughter (and I had a coupon). I love PBS because I only pay for the cost to mail someone else a book.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) Wow Jamie...that's a lot friend. You have some gooduns in there though!

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Yup. And I'm getting my list together for the used stores that we'll hit up in Syracuse tomorrow!

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am seriously book sick after discovering GR and BookDepository. Book Depository has no postage fees, so you do not save on collecting a big order. The result is that I constantly buy the book immediately..... My books recently purchased are shelved as "available to read". I have so many there is is VERY embarassing. VERY. I tell myself to stop looking at GR b/c I have to read the books instead. However I am addicted to GR too. I might miss something.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2173 comments I have this problem too, I cannot go into a bookstore without buying at least 3 books. What I have started doing though is to set myself a monthly book budget to which I have actually managed to stick to so far. That way I can have my book fix without blowing all of my cash.

One other thing I was to go on a three day book buying blow out at Hay-on-Wye (the world's first booktown) and completely lost all control, guilt-free, which seems to have calmed my book buying (for the time being at least). So you could save up and do the same and get it out of your system for a while :-)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a very good library near me with an excellent loans system and I use that all the time as there are times when I have bought a book and then not enjoyed it.

Also, before my library frequently using days I would buy loads of books. I have got books that I bought several years ago that I just haven't had the time to read.

message 12: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) don't worry you are not the only one I have 450+ bpoks over 100 to be read

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Heather, I think it's clear you are not the only one with this habit.I'm not going to call it a problem as I don't think it is one.I trade a lot of my books through bookmooch and it is not unusual for me the post books and then on leaving the post office go into the charity shop next door and buy the same number of books that I have just posted.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen wrote: "Heather, I think it's clear you are not the only one with this habit.I'm not going to call it a problem as I don't think it is one."

I Agree whole heartedly