Start by marking “Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood

Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood

The True Face of Love

Ruth's grandmother lives in the forest, banished there for the "evil" that the townsfolk believed she practiced. But if studying the stars, learning about nature, and dreaming of flying is evil, then Ruth is guilty of it too. Whenever Ruth took food and supplies to her grandmother, she would sit with the old woman for hours, listening and learning.

Published April 1st 2004 by Simon Pulse

Start your review of Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

I liked Stephan!! I wanted a awesome brother\sister relationship where Stephan helps her figure out what to do about William and is there for her and protective and awesome.....But no. Just kill off the brother and all the potential for greatness. Thanks a lot.

So I like the idea of the wolf being a were wolf, or something really similar, but I wish that it would have been more of a mystery to figure out. As it is, you can tell by reading the back cover and by page 3. Real subtle.

I wa
Ann
Jan 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
I generally enjoy re-tellings of fairy tales, so was excited to hear about this young adult version of the Red Riding Hood story. I regreat to say, I was wrong. This is your basic Harlequin romance with a werewolf in it. Poor, but feisty young woman meets rich, handsome man and they fall instantly in lust. But wait... he has a terrible, deep, dark secret - once a month, he turns into a wolf and rips people's throats out - gasp! But he's so handsome and charming and he bites her lips when he kiss ...more
Rebecca
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I loved other books in the Once upon a time series, but this one.. No just no. Red riding hood is my favorite fairytale, but it is my least favorite fairy tales to read retellings of, Why? Because everyone thinks it is a bright idea to make the wolf love interest!!!
( Author, "Hmm, I am writing a books based on Red Riding Hood, and I need a love interest for Red. Hmmm let me see, There was this woodsman guy, who came in and saved Red and her Grandmother and left without a reward, he just wanted
Tiffany
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: q3-2009
2-6-08
Debbie Viguie is an established author with several books under her belt and she is the co-author of a successful book series called Wicked. She has her bachelor of arts degree in creative writing, and she says she has been writing most of her life. Most of her books fall into the fiction/fantasy genre and that is precisely where her book Scarlet Moon can be found. Scarlet Moon, along with her book Midnight Pearls, is part of the 'Once Upon a Time Series' published by Simon Pulse. This is
Kathy
This is a retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood, a story that I have never really been that found of. However, I actually loved this book! It really brought the whole fairy tale to life, and gave the characters so much more depth. Ruth isn’t your typical girl. She is very pretty, but knows how to fight. She has a love of learning and nature, but works as a blacksmith. William is a great character and you really feel for him and the trails he has to live through. They have great chemistry toget ...more
Mary Bronson
I thought this was such a great re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood. I loved Ruth as a main character. I thought she was different and fierce. How she loved working along her father in the blacksmith shop and how she would learn about healing from her grandmother. I have a little bit of problem with William and Ruth's romance like it was rushed but in the end it worked out.
Marija
3.5
Sweet little retelling of Little Red Riding Hood with a romantic twist and couple of additional background and plots. On the whole I'm satisfied.
Michele
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a short, quick read. It great for a quick read when on vacation or an airplane ride.
Kelsy
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Hahahaha!!

I'm sorry, but this is the second "Little Red Riding Hood" retelling I've read whose synopsis ends with "facing their destiny at Grandmother's house" and I think it is the most hilarious thing ever. When I think of my grandmother's house, I do not envision any "showdowns" happening. Funny stuff.

Anyway... Scarlet Moon is a really neat retelling of a fairy tale that you don't know much about. Besides the obvious "don't talk to strangers" lesson in "Little Red", we don't know much about
Mel
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Samantha
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
It's not a bad version of Red Riding Hood, but it wasn't anything amazing either.

It is nice to read fantasy with a sprinkling of historical fiction, and I like that Ruth had a reason for being different from other girls, with her brother off fighting the Holy War. Her wearing more manly clothes and being skilled at blacksmithing were out of necessity, and not just because she didn't want to be feminine.

As for the romance, it was kind of eh... I liked where it was going until Ruth and William h
Kathryn Cooper
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on Kathryn Cooper Writes

I love the Once Upon a Time Fairytales! They are so much fun to read. Some I give 4 stars, and some I give 5. This one was a 5 star book! It was such a fun read.

Ruth was so entertaining to read about. She had learned so much in her life. William was so cute. Their relationship was the best. The romance was amazing and took my breath away. There were a few cheesy romance lines, but I loved them.

Scarlet Moon was a book I loved! I wished it wasn’t such a short rea
May 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Amy
Jul 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: retellings
I now understand why Bethany sort of looked abashed when I asked her if this book was any good. Didn't care much for this one, and Elevetha sums it all up perfectly in her review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

This is the author who brought us:
Midnight Pearl (eww...why did I give that 3 stars? got to change that)
Violet Eyes (disappointment of the year)
And now I've read Scarlet Moon. Not that impressed. Romance was mediocre until they confess their love for one another and then the cut
Clare Holman-Hobbs
Okay, so I read more of this than I did Beauty Sleep (part of the Once Upon a Time series), but although it was worthy of 2 stars rather than 1, I still had some serious issues with the development of the story. I loved that Ruth was a blacksmith and her badass Grandmother Giselle, but that was sort of it. When the Wolf was revealed to be [SPOILER] William, to us the reader, it was then revealed to Ruth a few pages afterwards and it felt just like a rehashing of the information we'd just been gi ...more
Chelsea
This is a wonderfully written Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood filled with love and Romance as well as a touch of mystery and some unexpected twists and surprises that will keep you entertained and interested throughout the story. All the characters are very well written as well as all the different relationships that are present throughout the story. I particularly enjoyed reading about the relationship between Ruth and William and seeing how it developed.
Melanie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed

A very intriguing book! From the beginning crazy scene where Ruth got attacked (and nearly killer) by a wolf, to the final scenes were all was revealed about what had caused the murders in the forest, this book held my attention.

The one thing that I didn't care all that much for was the romance -- it just seemed to happen a little too quickly. Still, I enjoyed Scarlet Moon and, if you enjoy Fairytale Retellings, I think you might too.
Tammie
I really liked this retelling of Red Riding Hood. There were no big surprises in it, but I loved the story anyway. There was plenty of romance and passion but it was still a clean love story which was nice. Some of the dialog between the two main characters got a bit cheesy during the romance scenes, but I was able to ignore it. Overall I thought it was a fun, quick read.
Marcia Lynn McClure
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Scarlet Moon is probably one of my top three favorites in the "Once Upon a Time Series" of retellings! I love this unique, fresh twist on "Little Red Riding Hood." Don't let the Little Red Riding Hood thing scare you...this one is VERY romantic!
Jamie Kimmel
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This book was...OK. Short and quick read but felt kinda...meh? I didn't have it in me to write a summary because I didn't know what to leave out without making the story sound uneventful.

I noticed this is from a series called Once Upon a Time and the tone reminds me very much of the TV series of the same name. Very similar elements. Wolf is a werewolf, Granny knows what's up, and they snuck Peter and the Wolf in this story, like the TV show did.

The answers to the stories questions didn't seem
Marianne
3 stars!

Taking into account all the retellings I've managed to read in the Once Upon a Time series, I can safely say that Scarlet Moon is one of the better stories. However, I do feel that the book (similar to others in the series) suffers from not being as fleshed out as it could be. Firstly, I like the setting that was chosen; medieval Europe in the middle of the Crusades is always an interesting time period. This particular choice of setting helps differentiate this story from others of the
Alejandra
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before I get anywhere with this review i'm going to let you all know that I imagined William, one of the title character, as Dyson Thornwood from Lost Girl

description

Yummy!!! hahaha

Okie dokie back to the book, I loved Ruth and I loved her strong personality, the way they dove into her background in such a small book really made me more connected if you may say so to the character. I am a sucker for romance and the last two books I read in this series really didn't have the romance that I didn't even know I
Amy
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MLL
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was going to give it 3 stars because it wasn't really very good. But the end was so ridiculous it dropped to 2 stars. It was really violent and didn't make much sense.

It was like the book was accidentally published before all the details which would tie it together and let is make sense could be added.

Also the people were complete idiots. *Spoiler Alert* No one, not even the one who could turn into a wolf, recognized that the toothmarks on the victims were made by human teeth and not an anima
Sarah Chipman
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a bad story, but not the best. It’s overly angsty. If William (or any of his male ancestors for that matter) wanted to not worry about hurting his people, why wasn’t there a reinforced dungeon in the manor for the wolf to be kept in during moon nights? Self-discipline is all well and good, but to get moody about falling in love, hug each other so tightly you cut yourselves, and then go sweat over a bu ch of horses and their shoes without cleaning up or bandaging anything? Ridiculous. But asi ...more
Rachael Marsceau
Aug 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
The writing was poor, the romance unbelievable, and frankly, it was just too gory for me. "She tasted so sweet." Really? Just yuck.

I think after having my mind blown in the first season of the Once Upon a Time TV show (where Red is ALSO THE WOLF !!!!!!!!) I keep hoping for some originality with this fairytale, but it isn't to be here. The wolf is the love interest and, as others before me have said, it just isn't cool.

Most of the books in this series I just love, but this goes in the pile of n
Kim  Gregory
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very strange version of Little Red Riding Hood. A curse on a lord's family which is quite easily solved I'm surprised someone didn't think about it years ago; a young lady who is a blacksmith falls in love with the lord but doesn't know he's the one who's cursed and stalking the forest. The cousin comes home more damaged than anyone realizes. There were some quite violent sections and gory scenes described, but overall I did enjoy this story.

This is a clean although violent read.
Natalie Schloss
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Elizabeth
I think this is a high 3 for me, but not quite a 4. I enjoyed it for what it was, which is a very short retelling of red riding hood with some beauty and the beast vibes. I thought the ending part with the curse was super weak otherwise it would've gotten a better rating from me. It felt like an afterthought. I liked the majority of the characters in this tale. However, I feel like Ruth was the only decently developed character. Still a nice short read, just feel like it's missing development.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Diamond Secret:  A Retelling of Anastasia
  • Ever
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #1)
  • The Princess Fugitive: A Reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood (The Four Kingdoms, #2)
Debbie Viguié is the New York Times Bestselling author of more than three dozen novels including the Wicked series co-authored with Nancy Holder. In addition to her epic dark fantasy work Debbie also writes thrillers including The Psalm 23 Mysteries, the Kiss trilogy, and the Witch Hunt trilogy. Debbie also plays a recurring character on the audio drama, Doctor Geek’s Laboratory. When Debbie isn’t ...more