Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > June '09 BotM: Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (last edited May 29, 2009 08:43AM) (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the June '09 Book of the Month:

Witchling (Sisters of the Moon, Book 1) by Yasmine Galenorn Witchling (Sisters of the Moon, Book 1) by Yasmine Galenorn

message 2: by Sam8 (new)

Sam8 | 1857 comments I picked up my copy from the library this week . . looking forward to it!

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 43 comments Just started the book. Vamps Anonymous, hilarious!

message 4: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T Hope to get my copy this week.

message 5: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 09, 2009 04:00PM) (new)

Soon as I finish Lover Avenged, I'm on to Witchling.

message 6: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T Starting tonight.

message 7: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T I've been struggling with this book for over a week and still hasn't really grab me, but I'll keep reading.

message 8: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 19, 2009 09:11PM) (new)

SPOILERS . . . . . SPOILERS . . . . . . SPOILERS . . . . . SPOILERS

I finished Witchling tonight and believe that this book is an excellent first published novel for a new author. I definitely want to read the others in the series. Galenorn made a few mistakes common to a new author. She gave so much information on the mythos of her universe that my head was swimming in the first few chapters. It would have been a bit smoother to provide all that infomation over the course of the first few novels rather than the first few chapters. In her favor, she provided her background information conversationally which made for smoother reading. In the second half of the book the plot moved along nicely for an action-packed finale.

Witchling was an easy, fun read, but not a conventional romance. Camille is half-faerie and half-human which means a relaxed attitude to multiple sex partners. She loves and hates Trillian, but doesn't like him. She likes Morio, enjoys her relationship with him, but there is that pesky detail of loving Trillian. Both are still around at the end of Witchling.

The next book in the Sisters of the Moon series, Changling, will be about middle sister, Delilah, a werecat, and whatever nefarious plot Shadow Wing, a demon bent on marauding through Earth and Otherworld, concocts. The excerpt for Changling read as smoothly as the best parts of Witchling. I can easily understand why the fourth book in this series, Dragon Wytch, was nominated for a RITA. Galenorn has shown creativity, and great world-building. As she honed her skills in subsquent novels, she undoubtedly reached her full potential as an author. I would recommend this series to other readers who enjoy paranormal romance.

I am giving this book four stars.

message 9: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T I finally finished this book. I could not stay focused on this book or the story line. I don't plan on reading the rest of this series.
I gave it two stars.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue | 43 comments I enjoyed the book enough to seek out the rest of the series.

I do agree with Kathleen, the background info could have been spread out through the books. It was a lot to take in at the beginning and nearly turned me off of the story.

message 11: by Sam8 (last edited Jun 23, 2009 03:20PM) (new)

Sam8 | 1857 comments I tried to read this one, but couldn't get into it and finally just gave up as there were other books that I wanted to read.

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 1537 comments I really liked this book. I did not mind all the background info at the begining. It was the perfect summer escape for me. I needed a light, funny, and thoughtful book to take my mind off things. Witchling was it. There was tears in my eyes when Tom and Maggie were cuddling up together. Trillian was an exciting character, but I am routing for Morio. There is just something about that "fox" that makes me get all steamy. I was always attracted to animals. LOL

When I an caught up with my group reads I would like to finish this series, I enjoyed all the cahracters.

message 13: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 3325 comments Mod
I have to wait to order this one, but I'm liking the differences of opinion.

message 14: by Kathleen (last edited Aug 16, 2009 04:34PM) (new)

Finished Changeling (Sisters of the Moon, #2) by Yasmine Galenorn Changeling, excellent second book in the Sisters of the Moon series by Yasmine Galenorn Yasmine Galeorn. Just loved it. Galenorn launched directly into the story of Delilah D'Artigo, second born of the three half-human, half-fae D'Artigo sisters. The mistakes of the first book in the series, Witchling, were not repeated in this book. You did not have to wade several chapters of background before the story started to develop. This story took off from the first page and didn't let you go until the conclusion. Although this volume in the battle with Shadow Wing had a satisfying conclusion, the final pages perfectly set up the third book, Darkling, the story of Menolly D'Artigo, third born of the sisters. Great read!

I am giving this book five stars.

message 15: by Kathleen (last edited Aug 20, 2009 07:05PM) (new)

Darkling (Sisters of the Moon, #3) by Yasmine Galenorn Darkling (Book 3) is another excellent book in the Sisters of the Moon series by Yasmine Galenorn. This book is the story of Menolly who was tortured, raped, and turned into a vampire by Dredge of the Elwing Blood Clan. Dredge has crossed over to Earth and is terrorizing the human population of Seattle. Menolly has to find the strength to both sever her connection with her sire and vanquish him. This book was darker than the first two books in the series, but Menolly comes with a lot baggage and a lighter story would have been unrealistic for this character as she has been portrayed. Although Menolly hasn't been with anyone since her turning and she has encounters with Nerissa of the Rainier Puma Pride and Jareth from the Temple of Reckoning in Aladril in Otherworld, the focus of this book is not on relationships, but on Menolly facing her own demons. By the end of the book, Menolly is freed from her nightmares, and the sire of another vampire who will be guided into her new life far differently than what Menolly's experienced. Menolly's vampire child will be taught to not feed on innocents and act with a conscious. Althought still a vampire, Menolly is finally at peace in her dreams.

message 16: by Kathleen (last edited Aug 31, 2009 01:01PM) (new)

Really great books seem to defy pigeonholing and Dragon Wytch (Sisters of the Moon, #4) by Yasmine Galenorn Dragon Wytch, Book 4 in the Sisters of the Moon series, and a nominee for a 2009 RITA for Best Paranormal, is a phenomenal addition to fantasy, romance, or whatever field you would call this one. Galenorn is rotating the narration among the sisters, and Book 4, as with Book 1, is told from the perspective of the eldest D'Artigo sister, Camille. The unicorn crown prince comes to Seattle to find his missing messenger, who was transportating a gift for Camille from the Black Unicorn, the father of the unicorn race. This magical gift will assist the sisters in their battle with Shadow Wing. Like any good Galenorn book there are plots and subplots, but all center on stopping Shadow Wing. Morgaine and Tatiana are back, as well as all of Camille's lovers and potential lovers. One of Camille's lovers ends up missing and the solution to finding him will may surprise some readers.

Unquestionably deserving of a RITA nomination, I can't wait to read the novel that beat this book because I would have given the RITA to Dragon Wytch. Galenorn has hit her stride as a writer and this book sweeps you along and keeps you breathless with eyes glued to the page. I inhaled this book in under a day and have already started [image error] Night Huntress , Book 5 in the series.

message 17: by Gina (new)

I'm reading it now - currently on page 46.

message 18: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 04, 2009 06:26AM) (new)

Book 5, Night Huntress [image error] , is yet another excellent volume in the Sisters of the Moon series by Yasmine Galenorn. Book 5, as with Book 2, was told from the point-of-view of Delilah, middle D'Artigo sister and werecat. Once again there is a race to find a spirit seal before forces from the Subterranean Realms; Karvanak, a general in Shadow Wing's army, is among those seeking it. No spoilers, but subplots include the kidnapping of someone close to Delilah, and info on both Camille's missing lover and the sisters' father. Another breathless ride from Galenorn and a fantastic read. Five books in this series and it is as fresh as the first book in a new series.

Hope to get ahold of Book 6, Demon Mistress (Sisters of the Moon, #6) by Yasmine Galenorn Demon Mistress, published June 2, 2009, very soon.

message 19: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 60 comments I am so glad for this thread, I had a group read for this book and all of the ladies who I discussed it with at the time HATED it and kept trashing the book so much I actually put it down lol

I am going to have to pick it back up.

message 20: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 04, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

The first book had problems with organization with too much background material slowing down the story. The second book had none of those problems. It was a fast-paced, action-packed, suspense-filled thrill drive. Dragon Wytch, the 4th book, was a nominee for a RITA and I guess I just had faith that the RITA committee did not nominate a turkey. FYI, Dragon Wytch did not disappoint.

message 21: by Gina (new)

Gee, Kathleen, you're on a roll, LMAO! I'll be picking up the next in the series in October, I think.

My Review:

The first in a new series, this one has its faults, just like quite a few first one do. However, I thought the ending made up for it.

Three half-fae/half-human sisters are Earthside, agents of the OIA. The demon, Shadow Wing, the leader of the Subterranean Realms, is moving into power. As most demons do, he is moving to bring the portals together, basically wanting them destroyed, so that demons my roam freely, to move between the Otherworld and Earthside freely. He wants to destroy Earth, and no one can let that happen.

He has sent three scouts through a portal, Earthside, in search of legendary artifacts: 9 pieces of the spririt seal. If all 9 pieces are put back together, the portals will shatter, and the three realms will once again become intimately bound.

The three sisters, Camille, Delilah and Menolly, along with some help, can't let that happen. The have to find the 9 pieces before Shadow Wing does.

As with most first books of any series, the reader is bombarded and overloaded with information; too much information right off the bat, leaving your head slightly dizzy. But once the 'information session' has passed, you're good to go.

I found the book fast-paced (after the info overload), the action was great, the plot somewhat original. A couple of things about the Fae reminded me of Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series, mostly about sex being enjoyed and given freely. One part of the novel, though, irked me a little. Camille just destroyed a demon, is on her way back to her store, and decides to stop for a little lingerie shopping? It had absolutely no use to the story and made me roll my eyes, wanting to slap Camille upside the head. It had me feeling that the character was somewhat of a twit; her mind should be on matters at hand, of stopping a bad-ass leader who wants to turn Earth and the Otherworld his personal playing field, and yet, she's in the mood for new lingerie? Neither the store owner, nor the patron she meets in the store has any bearing on the story, and if it hadn't been for events/action that happened afterwards, I'd have lost faith in the book.

As it stands, the characters are interesting and diverse, the plot somewhat original, fast-paced, and definitely worth the read.

4 stars.

message 22: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 05, 2009 12:34PM) (new)

Gina, Galenorn was foreshadowing things to come in future books with the bit about the lingerie shop owner, Erin. At that point in time Erin is also president of the Faerie Watchers Club. Erin's role in the series will change in book three. No spoilers, but you will come to realize that scene wasn't about Camille, but Erin, who is a close friend to all three D'Artigo sisters.

message 23: by Gina (new)

Foreshadowing is all well and good, but lingerie? Couldn't have been something else, like ... I don't know ... bumping into her on the sidewalk while Camille was on her way back? I just felt the entire scene was out of place. Readers who may not decide to continue with the series will never know about Erin.

message 24: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 10, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

I guess it didn't bother me. I remember vividly the days each of parents died. Sometimes running normal errands makes the horrific seem less so. Each of us handles these things differently, but my own reaction would have been similar to Camille's. I would have forced myself to handle every task including the shopping as I had planned.

message 25: by Gina (new)

I can see that, and I know when it comes to something horrific like that, I continue what I have planned anyway, no matter how hard it is. But her little trip into the shop had been a spur-of-the-moment thing; she was walking by on the way to her own store when it hit her to go in. I think that's what through me off. A demon had just gone splat off the top of the Space Needle. Had it been me, I'd have had my mind on the significance, not side-stepping.

I do know what you mean, though. I clearly remembering, after findind out my grandfather died, going to work to take care of a few things, like the banking, creating invoices and the like, while my mom and aunt dealt with what needed to be dealt with. I was balling my head off, waiting in line to get to a teller, but I was still there. I guess sometimes it helps, even when doing the mundane things, but not when something wasn't in my to-do list. *shrug* To each their own, I guess, LOL! I'm not half-fae, half-human, so I guess my mind doesn't roll that way. Ha!

message 26: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 18, 2009 12:21PM) (new)

Demon Mistress (Sisters of the Moon, #6) by Yasmine Galenorn Demon Mistress,Book 6, is another excellent volume in the Sisters of the Moon series by Yasmine Galenorn. Told from the point-of-view of Menolly, youngest of the the D'Artigo sisters and a vampire. Menolly is still recovering from her torture, rape, and death at the hands of the Dredge, leader of the Elwing Blood Clan. She braided her hair after she returned home from experience at Dredge's hands and finally at the end of this volume decides, that maybe, it is time to unbraid her hair. This is a very symbolic gesture that reflects her new acceptance of her condition.

The protagonists are a nasty group of humans who call themselves Dante's Hellions. They are not above torturing, raping, and murdering humans as well as others. The group is completely destroyed by the end of the volume and another spirit seal is recovered.

No spoilers, but there are developments on the relationship front as well. Plots, subplots, good guys, bad guys, romance, this volume had something for everyone. Fans of Galenorn will not be disappointed.

message 27: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 07, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Inked (Includes World of the Lupi, #4.5) by Karen Chance Inked - An anthology by Karen Chance, Marjorie M. Liu, Yasmine Galenorn, and Eileen Wilks, which was released in MMP January 5, 2010, contains a prequel to the Sisters of the Moon series. Galenorn's novella, Etched in Silver tells the story of how Camille, eldest D'Artigo sister, met her Svartan lover, Trillian.

message 28: by Gina (new)

Thanks for the heads-up, Kathleen! I've added it to my Must-buy shelf!

message 29: by Kathleen (new)

The novella Etched in Silver in the anthology Inked (Includes World of the Lupi, #4.5) by Karen Chance Inked is a wonderful addition to the Sisters of the Moon series. This exceptionally well-done short story explains much of Trillian and Camille's relationship and you finally understand why he is her alpha lover. After this story you almost want to see Smokey and Morio drop out of the picture.

I am givng this novella five stars.

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Bone Magic (Sisters of the Moon, #7) by Yasmine Galenorn Bone Magic (Sisters of the Moon, Book 7) Trillian has returned, Camille receives a promotion, a close friend of the sisters is killed, and another is critically injured. Another nailing biting, exciting chapter in the Sisters of the Moon series.

I am giving this volume five stars.

message 31: by Kathleen (last edited Dec 09, 2010 05:09PM) (new)

Point of view for Harvest Hunting (Sisters of the Moon, #8) by Yasmine Galenorn Harvest Hunting (Sisters of the Moon, Book 8) is from the perspective of middle sister, Delilah D"Artigo. Delilah is no longer with Chase or Zachary and has begun training as a Death Maiden for the Autumn Lord, Hi'ran. Luke, werewolf and bartender at the Wayfarer Bar & Grill, asks for Delilah's help in finding his missing pregnant sister, Amber. During a scrying for Amber, it is discovered that Amber possesses the sixth spirit seal. This volume of the Sisters of the Moon series concentrates on finding Amber and searching for any leads on the demon general Stacia Bonecrusher who always seems one step ahead of the sisters. Delilah meets someone new who has a profound affect on her. The sisters' father drives a wedge bewteen himself and his daughters.

I think that Delilah is my favorite sister and I enjoyed the growth her character experiences in this volume. Glad that we finally met Arial in human form and hope to get to know her character better in future volumes. Wonder if this series will continue after the sisters recover the last spirit seal. I gave this volume five stars.

message 32: by Kathleen (last edited Apr 01, 2011 11:55AM) (new)

Blood Wyne (Sisters of the Moon, #9) by Yasmine Galenorn Blood Wyne (Sisters of the Moon, Book 9) is probably the best of the Menolly books to date. Blood Wyne is the queen of the vampires and mother (biologically and vampirically) to Roman, vampire power broker of Seattle. Blood Wyne is discussed, but does not make an appearance in this book. I think that the title is a reflection of the place that Menolly has reached in her life. Still a vampire with a need for blood, but secure in herself and her relationships. Camille is involved in an action that will likely have a serious impact in future stories. Delilah is still recovering physically in this book and there is very little action that involves all three sisters simultaneously. Nothing new on the spirit seals in this volume. Looking forward to Iris' story, "Ice Shards," in the anthology Hexed to be released in June 2011. I gave this volume five stars.