Start by marking “Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)

Inked

(Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon 0.5 (Etched in Silver))

Four of today's hottest urban fantasy writers together for the first time!

From today's most provocative authors come four tales of urban fantasy and paranormal romance exploring body art that is more than it seems-in a world of magic and mayhem that always leaves its mark.

This captivating tattoo theme surrounds each author's popular characters and worlds: Karen Chance
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published January 5th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Inked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inked

Jilly
This book should have been BEFORE the last one because we had to go back in time to read this. I hate going back in time. If I had a time-machine, I might go back to kill baby Hitler, but other than that, I have no interest in the past. Keep things moving, people!

So, I was reluctant to read this one because of this, but I forced myself to because I am in a buddy-read, and the first rule of Buddy-Reading is never to talk about Buddy-Reading. Wait, wrong club. The first rule in Buddy-Reading is no
Melindeeloo
Magical tatoos are the thread that ties together four substantial short stories by popular urban fantasy authors Karen Chance, Marjorie Liu, Yasmine Galenorn and Eileen Wilks. These stories are just the quick 'fix' to tide us fans over while waiting for the next books in our favorite series but with a nice mix of story, suspense and even a bit of steam they are also great introductions to these authors' wonderful urban fantasy worlds.

Chance's "Skin Deep" is the third short starring half werewol
Sophia
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr-uf
I raced through a few favorite Urban Fantasy series and skipped a couple of the themed anthologies that contained the shorter stories in the series. Finally, I'm going back for them. This anthology- which by the way has a cool theme- only contains two series I'm following so I'll read those first, but I do plan to read the other two as well since they are authors I am interested in.

First up, I read Skin Deep by Karen Chance 4.5 Stars
#4.5 Cassandra Palmer series

This story took side character, Li
Laura (Kyahgirl)
March 2016: I just re-read the Eileen Wilks story as part of my World of the Lupi re-read. This story runs concurrently with the events of book 4, Night Season. Great short story.

2010 review: I didn't like the Yasmine Galenorn short story but the Wilks and Chance stories were 4 star and the Liu story was a 3 star.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Review:
Skin Deep by Karen Chance. Karen’s story once again features War Mage/were Lia (who is featured on the cover) and her werewolf love interest Cyrus. If you want to read all of the stories about these characters (and you should because they are fantastic) the reading order would be:

1. Rogue Elements (included in the Wolfsbane and Mistletoe anthology)
2. Vegas Odds (included in the Strange Brew anthology)
3. Skin Deep (included in the Inked anth
Schnaucl
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a set of four novella length stories that deal in some way with tattoos.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance - Every time I read a story about Lia I think I'd like to read about her in a series but it seems that so far she's destined only to appear in anthologies like these. For some reason, the Cassandra Palmer series never really did it for me. Anyway, it's a good story although the tattoo aspect seems tangential to the story.

Armor of Roses by Marjorie M. Liu - This was probably my favorite stor
Jodi
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the Marjorie Liu Hunter Kiss story and that alone was worth the read. Having another Eileen Wilks Lupi story with Lily and Rule made reading through the end worthwhile. The other stories by Karen Chance and Yasmine Galenorn had hot sex and the Chance story made me put Touch the Dark higher up on my TBR pile. The Galenorn story had very, very hot sex but a confusing story. The Liu story takes Maxine back in time to save the lives of four children but that's not the real reaso ...more
Ivy
5 stars

All the short stories were very good. Liked all the characters.

Can't wait to read more stories from these worlds!!!
Julie
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: _from-library
Skin Deep, Karen Chance: 3.5 stars
Armor of Roses, Marjorie M. Liu: 5 stars
Etched in Silver, Yasmine Galenorn: 3 stars. This feels heavily D&D, but I really like Trillian.
Human Nature, Eileen York: 4 stars
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kiwi
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Four novellas featuring love and ink.

The Review:

This anthology contains four stories of love, loss, and tattoos that move, shift, kill, protect, empower and even turn into demons. If only my ink did any one of those things, well not kill, but still.

“Skin Deep” by Karen Chance

Skin Deep features a half-were-half-human heroine, who is also a mage and a member in the War Mage Corps, which is kind of like the magical police. Her mate is a full bl
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Inked is a collection of four short storys

Skin Deep by Karen Chance, pages 1-125
Lia de Croissets short story 3 - occurred after Curse the Dawn
other Lia short storys occurred:
short story 1 = Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
short story 2 = Strange Brew

Lia managed to get a dark mage ward stuck to her and even with the help of caleb and jamie (kick ass war mages) cant seem to get rid of the thing, between that and trying to save the werewolves from a skin hunter you could say lia is having a bad day.
all t
L-D
Eileen Wilks' "Human Nature" is a short story that takes place in the Lupi world. A Lupus has been murdered and another lupus, Jason Chance, is being accused of the murder. Lily and Rule must travel home to San Diego to help solve this mystery. This is Jason's first appearance but his character plays a minor role in Wilks' next novel in the series, Blood Magic. - 5 stars

Marjorie M. Liu's "Armor of Roses" - okay, my review may be a little biased but I read her Hunter Kiss series. The first book w
Lynn Calvin
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazon preorder.

I'm sort of torn about these anthologies that have "4.5" of this series, and 3.5 of another series. This anthology I don't mind, because I would buy an anthology for any one of three of the stories. (I just haven't gotten into Gaelorn.)This anthology I didn't mind, three excellent must buy authors, and one that was fine to pass the time. I'm glad, because sometimes I end up buying these for one story and feeling robbed. This was good value.

I love Chance, I love Liu and I love Wil
Christine
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, january
First things first: The blurbs at the back are EXTREMELY misleading. Don't base your expectations of the novella on them.

The anthology averaged 3 stars but let's spread it out...

Karen Chance: 5 stars. I love Lia de Croisset's stories and this one was well balanced (action and emotions). I re-read the ending several times.

Marjorie M. Liu: 2 stars. It was boring and heading nowhere and I developed a strong dislike of the heroine. The only reason it got 2 stars instead of one was the last page, whi
Diane ~Firefly~
Pretty good anthology. I enjoyed 3 of the 4 stories.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance - I really enjoy the short stories of the war mage, Lia. If she ever gets her own book, I will definitely pick it up. Although I wouldn't mind seeing her and Cyrus together for more of the story.

Armor of Roses by Marjorie M. Liu - first I've read by this author. Premise was intriguing (with demons who live on the heroine and protect her from danger). This story was so-so for me, but intrigued me enough to put The Iron
Archer
Apr 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Starting with the first book in the series with Karen Chance, I had actually tried to read her other stories before and I didn't like her writing style, and then I got to read this story Skin Deep, I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more of this story, still not a fan of her other books but this one was great.

And then came Marjorie M Liu, I really loved the dynamics of the story and the history that came with it, I have allready added the series to my must be read books..

As for Y
Lorre
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr
I've only read the Karen Chance story so far.

Skin Deep (Cassie Palmer 4.4) by Karen Chance
I just love Lia and Cyrus and was glad to see Skin Deep was another short story about them.
This story is set in the Cassie Palmer world with 2 characters that haven't appeared in the full novels (yet? I hope they will) so this short story can be read without reading the series. Although it might be easier to follow if you know what the Silver Circle is, the war and why the werewolves allied with the humans
Greymalkin
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Marisa
Skin deep by Karen Chance: I've liked it a lot (4). I don't like very much Cassandra's book but Lia de Crochet, yes, I do, I've read her story at "Strange brew" and I enjoyed a lot. I've to look for "Wolfbane and Mistletoes".
Armour of roses by Marjorie M. Liu: I've liked it, and I've finished with a little twitch in my guts (4). Perhaps I'll continue with the series.
Etched in silver by Yasmine Galenorn: I couldn't finish it. I don't know, I don't feel it right for me.
Human nature by Eileen Wilks
Carolyn F.
My review is 3.5 because two of the stories I loved and two I didn't. Well, at least I didn't like the Yasmine Garenorn story UNTIL I read the summary of her next book with Camille & Trillian. This story felt rushed with it's HEA but then the next book, it doesn't look like that all. Marjorie Liu's story was so confusing. Maybe if I'd read her other books, I would have enjoyed it more. I loved Eileen Wilk's Lily story and Karen Chance's story. Would recommend the book just for those two.
Sandra
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just read Skin Deep by Karen Chance and Human Nature by Eileen Wilks and both were excellent.

Skin Deep could be omitted from the Cassie Palmer stories and it wouldn't matter, except you'd miss some fine writing and storytelling.

Human Nature introduces Robert Friar in a more personal way, and reinforces Rule and Lilly's relationship, and should be read if you're into World of the Lupi.
Kerry
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Rating is for "Human Nature" by Eileen Wilks.

I nicely done story featuring Lily and Rule at set at the same time as Night Season. Probably not absolutely necessary, but I suspect also a good one to read as it has so interesting Nokolai background in it. I hope we see more of Jason and Mannie as the series progresses. Maybe even Mariah.
Shavonya
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-romance, fantasy
it only gets the four because on Wilkes. Chance's story was ok and the others i could have done without.
Aly is so frigging bored
5* for Karen Chance's SS
Liv
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was comprised of 4 novellas from 4 different authors. Quite frankly, I read this book because of Karen Chance, but I did finish reading the entire book. I gave 3 stars to this book overall. Individual ratings as follows... the reviews may contain spoilers so please proceed with caution.

Skin Deep – by Karen Chance - 4 stars

This novella was centered on a half-mage, half-shapeshifter character, Lia. I have read Lia’s stories before from other works by Karen Chance. Lia’s world was set in
Adam Duclos
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skye
I love tattoos. I have two, I’m going to get more. I love stories that feature tattoos. I loved this collection which was basically all about tattoos. Actually, the most disappointing thing about this was how quickly it ended. After all, there were only four novellas in this collection, and I would have happily enjoyed far more.

I’ve held off on reading this collection until I was up to the right stage in the World of the Lupi series, after all, that was why I bought this. But, then I got a littl
Bridget
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How do I rate an anthology? Some books are great, others not so much. The last book by Eileen Wilks, was like a homecoming. I have read the entire series and this fits into a nitch I didn't know I had. Lily joins Rule in investigating a murder of one of his longtime and close friends. Always beautifully written and full of surprises.

"Finished the second story by Marjorie Liu. "Armor of Roses" I have had some of her books for years, but haven't read them. I will now. From the Hunter Kiss series,
Shhh We're Reading Dirty Books
We read this book for episode 3 of our podcast. While not terrible, this collection was not quite what we were looking for. We were left with out many sexy, dirty topics to discuss. We really enjoyed Marjorie M Liu's contribution to this collection and appreciated the sex in Yasmine Galenorn's story. For more of our thoughts listen to episode 3 of Shhh We're Reading Dirty Books found on any podcast platform!
Debra Omiatek
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A major part of each story was a tattoo. The 4 stories were very different but involved couples with significant bonds. Each story had a different supernatural element for the tattoo. The stories were very good introductions to a writer's serial world. The stories were very entertaining and well written. This book is highly recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Karen Chance Fans: Skin Deep (Lia de Croissets #3) 28 143 Nov 12, 2017 02:25AM
help me 4 16 Sep 02, 2013 09:45AM
A Cyber Launch Party For Karen Chance's New Release DEATH'S MISTRESS 3 12 Aug 15, 2013 12:34PM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 8 Oct 04, 2010 11:30PM

• Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, #6)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Never After (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6.5)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • Nocturnal
  • Strange Brew
  • Burning Up (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Children of the Sea, #3.5; Iron Seas, #0.5)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2
  • Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more

Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Witchling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #1)
  • Changeling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #2)
  • Darkling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #3)
  • Dragon Wytch (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #4)
  • Night Huntress (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #5)
  • Demon Mistress (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6)
  • Bone Magic (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #7)
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • Blood Wyne (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #9)
  • Courting Darkness (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #10)
“He was a hot, hot former priest and she wanted to pull a Thorn Birds on his ass.” 15 likes