Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > October 2013: Alphabet Books (Master List and General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Sep 14, 2013 09:46AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5767 comments Mod
In October, we will explore alphabet books. If you would like to help select the books we will read as a group, please choose your five choices from our official nominations list (below) and post your choices in a comment. Votes will be accepted until September 23rd. Thank you!

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments After discovering Neil Gaiman in his new book The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I went onto Amazon to see what else he'd written. I found many children's books, one of them being The Dangerous Alphabet. It's a piratical ghost story in 13 rhyming couplets. Great illustrations by Gris Grimly. So since I still have this one on my desk, I will nominate it until I can do a search on my shelves for other alphabet books.

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Throw out a name or word and there will be an alphabet book about it! I guess that's good for children with varied interests. Anyway, here are some books I've used or have on my shelf:

Ape in a Cape: An Alphabet of Odd Animals
I Spy: An Alphabet in Art
"A" Is for Angry: An Animal and Adjective Alphabet
LMNO Peas
Jambo Means Hello: Swahili Alphabet Book
The Disappearing Alphabet
H Is for Home Run: A Baseball
Alligators All Around

message 7: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Sep 14, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

One of my childhood favorites: A is for Annabelle by Tasha Tudor

Another one I enjoyed, Into The A, B, Sea: An Ocean Alphabet Book (this one is good for older kids; there is a good variety of sea creatures featured with additional information about them in the back)

message 8: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Kathryn wrote: "One of my childhood favorites: A is for Annabelle by Tasha Tudor"

Yes, definitely! And I know right where my copy is!

message 9: by SamZ (new)

SamZ (samwisezbrown) | 220 comments Alligators All Around
Museum ABC
AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First (my maiden name started with a Z and I often got tired or lining up last, too!)
"A" Isn't for Fox: An Isn't Alphabet Nothing makes my daughter laugh more than when I get things wrong.
The Alphabet Room
Those are my votes!

message 10: by Dolly (last edited Sep 04, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments M IS FOR MISCHIEF: An A to Z of Naughty Children

G is for Goat

"A" is for Aloha

There's a whole series of Alphabet books for each state in the United States (see list here), but for the purposes of this group, the best one of the series would likely be A is for America

P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet

D Is for Dinosaur: A Prehistoric Alphabet

Ashanti to Zulu: African Traditions

"A" is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women (perhaps a bit long)

The Freshwater Alphabet Book

The Furry Animal Alphabet Book

The Yucky Reptile Alphabet Book

The Beetle Alphabet Book
(Jerry Pallotta wrote these last four books, so between these and The Icky Bug Alphabet Book, which was already nominated, I highly recommend we pick one of his books)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chicka Chicka Boom Boom yet...

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments Here are a few with lovely illustrations:
A Gardener's Alphabet
My Beastie Book of ABC
New Alphabet Of Animals
Also, for those who want to look at more alphabet books, here are two blog posts listing a lot more:
http://readaloudsforallchildren.wordp...
http://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogs...

message 12: by Rochelle (last edited Sep 11, 2013 04:19PM) (new)

Rochelle Sondae | 4 comments I am rather fond of Matthew A.B.C.. It is rather gross though at times. We recently recieved My Foodie ABC: A Little Gourmet's Guide which is kind of fun.

I was thinking that one of the recent construction books had a hidden alphabet in the illustrations. We don't have a copy of Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site on hand for me to check. The only one I see that has rather obvious letters in the illustrations is Alphabet Trucks.
The book I was thinking about is Bang! Boom! Roar! A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs. We just got it in!

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda M. (haygram) My Alphabetby Carole Stevens Bibisi is a wonderful and colorful book for young children. The Alphabet is told by a black cat and is a favorite of my three year old grandson.

message 15: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Here's one that earned a Caldecott Honor: The Graphic Alphabet

message 16: by Jenny (last edited Sep 08, 2013 08:09PM) (new)

Jenny | 16 comments A Is for Musk Ox is quite silly.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Olswanger (olswanger) | 6 comments I nominate the stunning The Amazing Animal Alphabet of Twenty-Six Tongue Twisters by Robert Pizzo, just published last month.

message 18: by David (new)

David | 101 comments Another older Caldecott Honor book to consider is Alphabatics.

message 19: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments This book came recommended from another book I'm reading: Z is for Zeus: A Greek Mythology Alphabet; it's too bad our library doesn't have it...

message 20: by Aliona (last edited Sep 10, 2013 09:02PM) (new)

Aliona L. | 1 comments This is a beautiful book!!! My four year old loves it (his name is Justice and of course he is "J"...GREAT book! A is for Activist by Innosanto Nagara

message 21: by Michelle (last edited Sep 11, 2013 12:20PM) (new)

Michelle (mmolevin) | 5 comments There are so many lovely ones out there but a few of our favorites are:

A is for Salad A is for Salad by Mike Lester

Dr. Seuss's ABCs Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss

Z is for Moose Z Is for Moose by Kelly Bingham

and

LMNO Peas LMNO Peas by Keith Baker

Can't wait to check out the recommendations of others!
Best,
Michelle

message 22: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for the amazing nominations! This is going to be such a fun month. The voting period is now open until September 23rd. Please choose your top five picks and post them in a comment below. Thanks.

message 23: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments My votes:

"A" is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women (this one seems to be a bit long and wordy, but I was hoping to find one that our girls wouldn't consider too babyish.)

Animalia

The Z Was Zapped

The Freshwater Alphabet Book (or another alphabet book by Jerry Pallotta)

The Graphic Alphabet

message 25: by Londa (last edited Sep 15, 2013 10:36AM) (new)

message 27: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Jenny wrote: "A Is for Musk Ox is quite silly."

We just read Musk Ox Counts and it was hilarious. We are definitely going to read A Is for Musk Ox very soon!

message 29: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for the votes! Looks like we'll have a very interesting selection of alphabet books:

Animalia

The Z Was Zapped

The Graphic Alphabet

The Queen's Progress: An Elizabethan Alphabet

Many Nations: An Alphabet of Native America

Sixth/Alternate:
The Bird Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta (this is the wild-card for Pallotta because it's one that is at my library!)

message 30: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

This thread now becomes the Master List and General Discussion for Alphabet Books. Please feel welcome to post reviews here for books not selected as our top six, or additional books to add to the list!

message 31: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Our oldest just brought home the book A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns from her elementary school library. I noticed that it wasn't mentioned here. We really liked it and it is yet another fun alphabet book for older children.

message 32: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Dolly! Love the title :-)

message 33: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2333 comments Mod
One of my favorite alphabet books for little ones (toddler, preschool) is Apple Pie ABC. Very simple and appealing, with an adorable dog character.
The companion book to this is: One Two That's My Shoe!.

message 34: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6248 comments Mod
Oh, those do look adorable.

message 35: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Beverly wrote: "One of my favorite alphabet books for little ones (toddler, preschool) is Apple Pie ABC. Very simple and appealing, with an adorable dog character.
The companion book to this is: [..."

Adorable, indeed! I may have to check that out for my eight-month-old, even if he's a little "young" yet ;-)

message 36: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6248 comments Mod
He's eight months already?! Gosh time flies.