Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > What 2013 releases have you read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments So, seeing as how the nominations will soon start for the Goodreads 2013 Choice Awards (books in various categories that were published in 2013) I thought it might be nice to have a place where we all can list and share what new releases we have read this year, ie. what books we may be voting on :-)

My 2013 published book reads are:

Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard The Next Time You See Me by Holly Goddard Jones Adulting How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (anything published in November & December of 2012 is eligible for the 2013 Awards)
Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala The Seeds of a Daisy by Alison Caiola (published December 2012)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler The Symptoms of My Insanity by Mindy Raf William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher Nowhere But Home by Liza Palmer Joyland by Stephen King
The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls Wolves in the Land of Salmon by David Moskowitz Always Watching by Chevy Stevens The Revolution Was Televised The Cops, Crooks, Slingers and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever by Alan Sepinwall (published in November 2012)
Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison

I'm pretty sure I'll be adding more to this list in the next couple of months.

What new releases have you read this year?

message 2: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Cathie, a wonderful idea to set this thread, thank you. It is another great chance to share our opinions and find interesting books to read :)

I have to browse through my reads this year to remind me which are this year releases, as I tend to forget the date of publishing. :) So the update is coming soon LOL

message 3: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Looking forward to seeing what new releases you've read this year Anima (and maybe snatching a few of your choices to read myself, lol)

message 4: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Some are the same as yours ei:
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Joyland by Stephen King The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

but there are also, among others:

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer
Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1) by Richelle Mead The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

And there are still more to come :)

message 5: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments How did you like Gameboard of the Gods, Inferno and the 5th Wave Anima?

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5865 comments Mod
I've read:
Joyland by Stephen King Me Before You by Jojo Moyes The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I have more planned for the end of the year (and even more that I wanted to read and didn't get to).

I'm currently reading The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

message 7: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments To put them in order, I enjoyed The 5th Wave the most (rated it 5 stars), Gameboard of the Gods was really good, although had some minor drawbacks, especially in the romantic parts, and I didn't like Inferno, I found the book repetitive both within itself and in comparison to some other Brown's books.

I was thinking of reading Z A novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, how did you like it, Cathie?

message 8: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I really enjoyed Z: 5 stars enjoyed. It was well written and had lots of historical accuracy in regards to F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda and it was nice to hear "her" voice. I read it right after reading The Great Gatsby so the 2 reads flowed nicely with each other.

message 9: by Cathie (last edited Sep 02, 2013 12:17PM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments It looks like we have read a lot of the same books :-)

What are your thoughts on Joyland and The Ocean, Kristie? (I really enjoyed both of them.)

message 10: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Cathie, I'm adding Z to my TBR list, I'm really interested in hearing her story :)

Yes, we have a lot of books in common, so to speak. I suspect we are going to have some more within next three months :)

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I have these planned for the end of the year:
A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Plus, I won these on first-reads and they are 2013s (or late 2012s) too:
The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1) by Jason M. Hough Deadly Rhythm by Peter R. Kowey

I forgot, I also read:
The History of Us by Leah Stewart
Which I think is eligible too.

message 12: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I want to read Rosie Project, The Silver Star and The Seeds of a Daisy this year, and there are House of Hades, Allegiant and Doctor Sleep still to come. I want to read The Long War as well, and most probably I will find some more :)

message 13: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Kristie, I want to read A week in winter too :)

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I have probably 20 more that I want to read, but there's no way I can fit them all in!

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Anima - We have a buddy read scheduled for that one. That's how I know that I plan to read A Week in Winter, Allegiant, and The Rosie Project. :) They're all buddy reads.

message 16: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Same with me, through those buddy reads I'm able to organise my schedule, otherwise I will got lost most probably LOL

message 17: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Looks like you had some interesting ARCs Kristie.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I did, thanks.

I think my 2013 reads are some of my favorite reads of the year.

Cathie - You're list of 2013 reads looks like my TBR list. lol There's at least 7 books that you read this year that I want to read, but probably won't get to this year. Which was your favorite?

message 19: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Kristie wrote: "Which was your favorite? "

Ohhh, that's a hard one. I really enjoyed Nowhere But Home by Liza Palmer but a lot of people don't enjoy light reads. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion was also excellent.

Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason was excellent and of course I love Neil Gaiman and Stephen King.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Ok...one more to add to my TBR!

message 21: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Kristie wrote: "Ok...one more to add to my TBR!"

Which one?

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Three Grave's Full. I already have the other two on my TBR. And I read the Gaiman & King books - both very good. I am planning to read The Rosie Project in October. It doesn't release until Oct 1 here. And I think I added Nowhere But Home when you first reviewed it.

message 23: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I still can't believe we got a book released before you guys in the U.S. (The Rosie Project). It's usually the other way around and we're left anxiously waiting to find out what the excitement is all about.

Three Graves Full is a very good read :-)

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Knowles (lakekel) | 7 comments NOS4A2Odd ApocalypseRevenge Wears Prada: The Devil ReturnsMistressJoylandSecond Honeymoon

These are a few books I've enjoyed this year. I'm looking forward to some more great releases including Doctor Sleep

message 25: by Brightness (new)

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments So far I've read

Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown Life After Life by Kate Atkinson The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith

and I plan on reading

Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

message 26: by Jojo (last edited Sep 02, 2013 02:22PM) (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments So far these are my 2013 reads. There will be more, when the authors I like do their fall releases.

Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3) by Sylvia Day , Gold by Chris Cleave , Waiting to Be Heard A Memoir by Amanda Knox , Fly Away by Kristin Hannah , Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts , Beyond Belief My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill , The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult , Close Your Eyes by Iris Johansen , Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris , Did You Miss Me? (Romantic Suspense, #14) by Karen Rose , Rush (Breathless, #1) by Maya Banks .
Fever (Breathless, #2) by Maya Banks and Burn (Breathless, #3) by Maya Banks are both in my current pile.

I may have read more, but I've been bad at keeping track lately.

message 27: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Wow Joanne! You've read some different new releases than a lot of us. I think my TBR list will be growing (again, lol) :-)

Karlee, I have Cuckoo's Calling sitting here (for the last 2 months) just waiting for me to get to it. Did you enjoy it?

message 28: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments It seems like everyone is waiting for Doctor Sleep! I bet that will be on the Nomination list even if people haven't read it; sometimes just the name of the author or the hype around a new release gets people voting on it even if they haven't read it.

message 29: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Cathie, I totally agree, I have my suspicions that a similar mechanism worked for The Long Earth by Pratchett and Baxter.

message 30: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Cathie wrote: "Wow Joanne! You've read some different new releases than a lot of us. I think my TBR list will be growing (again, lol) :-)

Karlee, I have Cuckoo's Calling sitting here (for the last 2 months) ju..."

I would recommend Gold and Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir as ones to add to your list. They were both really good :)

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh yes! I forgot about The Cuckoo's Calling too. I'm waiting on the library for that one, but I'm hoping to read that before the end of the year too. (Hopefully, towards the end of the month!)

message 32: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Anima wrote: "Cathie, I totally agree, I have my suspicions that a similar mechanism worked for The Long Earth by Pratchett and Baxter."

I agree! I think a fair few books make the list just because of the name behind them.

message 34: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I have just recently joined this group and I have not yet set up my challenge, but I plan to do so.
These are the 2013 releases I have read. There maybe some from the end of 2012, but I haven't checked that out. I have a few others planned for the rest of the year as well.

& Sons
The Silver Star
The Girl You Left Behind
Letters from Skye
The Light in the Ruins
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope
TransAtlantic
And the Mountains Echoed
Life After Life
Benediction
The Storyteller
the incredible lives of greta wells

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Angela - What did you think of The Light in the Ruins? That looks so interesting.

message 36: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Kristie - this was not my favorite by him , probably because it was a murder mystery , which is not my favorite genre . I have it ***because it was interesting on a historical level and it was a love story . My favorite of this author is The Sandcastle Girls.

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Thanks for the recommend. I'll check that out.

message 38: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4043 comments Mod
The Sandcastle Girls is on my tbr :)

message 39: by Angela M (new)

Angela M It's so good . I hope you love , Lynn , as I did .

message 40: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Two more to add to my list :
The Burgess Boys
Me Before You

message 41: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Angela, how did you like The Burgess Boys, I have this book on my TBR list thanks to Cathie's list :)

message 42: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Anima ,
I quite liked it . I like Stout's writing style and read this because I liked Olive Kitteridge .
I also just realized that I never entered it into my read bookshelf . So thanks !

message 43: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Angela, thanks for sharing, I may put it a little bit higher on my TBR :)

message 44: by Brightness (new)

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments Cathie wrote: "Wow Joanne! You've read some different new releases than a lot of us. I think my TBR list will be growing (again, lol) :-)

Karlee, I have Cuckoo's Calling sitting here (for the last 2 months) ju..."

Cathie I loved it! Give it a go! ;)

message 45: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Will do; hoping to get to it this month :-)

message 46: by Anne (last edited Sep 04, 2013 03:25AM) (new)

Anne | 16 comments Hi all, I absolutely loved reading the Rosie project. I have also reading the Sylvia Day Bared to you, The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, Sisters Of Mercy
by Caroline Overington.

Still wanting to read this year: The Inevitability Of Stars,Kathryn R. Lyster,And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, The Shadow Year by Hannah Richell,Ember Island by Kimberley Freeman, Jodi Picoult The storyteller

message 47: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (kate47) I read ' The Blind Mans Garden ' by Nadeen Aslam, it's really worth a read,Aslam is an amazing writer. Has anyone read Americanah byChimamanda Adiche Ngozi, it's on my to read list but haven't read any reviews y et

message 48: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2007 comments Mod
The 2013 releases I read are:
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Fallen Too Far (Too Far, #1; Rosemary Beach, #1) by Abbi Glines Never Too Far (Too Far, #2; Rosemary Beach, #2) by Abbi Glines Hana (Delirium, #1.5) by Lauren Oliver Annabel (Delirium, #1.4) by Lauren Oliver Raven (Delirium, #2.5) by Lauren Oliver The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

message 49: by Sarah (last edited Sep 07, 2013 03:00AM) (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Me Before You by Jojo Moyes And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Life After Life by Kate Atkinson The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian

Plan to read soon - Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith .

Will hopefully read a lot more in 2014 - a lot added to my tbr this year.

message 50: by thewanderingjew (new)

thewanderingjew | 96 comments I read about 2 1/2 dozen books from 2013; I listen to a lot of books, so they accumulate fast!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

« previous 1 3