What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-fi novel from 80s or 90s; A small search party is sent to investigate a seemingly abandoned alien spacecraft. A room full of alien creatures in a state of suspended animation

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bee (new)

Bee (llbee) | 6 comments A small search party is sent to investigate a seemingly abandoned alien spacecraft. This could be part of a series. The only thing that stands out in my memory was a room full of alien creatures in a state of suspended animation. One of the crew men stumbles too near a display field and is pulled into the display. Later in the story, the display fields are deactivated by chance and the creatures are freed, resulting in the death of the crew member who had previously been caught in the display field.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Hmmm...a few questions that may jog your memory.

-Where is the abandoned spaceship found? In forest, desert, on Earth, etc?

-Where does the story take place?

-What time period is the book set in? Contemporary, centuries into the future, parallel world, etc?

-Anything about the cover?

message 3: by Bee (new)

Bee (llbee) | 6 comments Ship is found on autopilot in space. I am thinking near future. Bulk of the story happens on the ship. Definitely remember at least one girl on the crew, a light romance between her and another crew member.

This was around the time I read the Rama series so I'm thinking it's something in that vein

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Nicole, are you still looking for this?

message 5: by Bee (new)

Bee (llbee) | 6 comments I am!!! No one seems to know what I'm talking about. I got all excited that you even commented since it's been up for almost a year. Does this story sound familiar at all?

message 6: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 945 comments When did you read it? Was it a new book then or old?
Do you remember anything about the cover at all?
Any other details - tell us everything you remember, every tiny bit helps the search.

message 7: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 945 comments Maybe:
Derelict for Trade Derelict for Trade (Solar Queen, #6) by Andre Norton "Stumbling upon an abandoned ship, Captain Jellico and the crew of the Solar Queen seize the prize and claim the right to salvage the derelict vessel, only to become the targets of a secret alien hijacking ring out to sabotage their claim."

or: The Space Vampires The Space Vampires by Colin Wilson "Some space explorers come across a 50km derelict ship floating around, with insanely huge fixtures, stairs, badass gothic cathedral architecture, weird artwork involving Lovecraftian squiddy things, and some naked people in suspended animation behind glass walls that open telepathically. And they are space vampires. And in the ship there is a map of ancient Greece."

message 8: by Bee (new)

Bee (llbee) | 6 comments Wow those are both some weirdly interesting titles - thank you! I'll check them out a little closer. Definitely the genre but I don't recognize some of the details. Really appreciate the feedback!!!! One step closer :)

message 9: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 945 comments So those may be it? Or not, but close?

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Well, I haven't read Space Vampires so can't say anything about it--but I know that it is definitely NOT the Andre Norton book.

message 11: by caracal-eyes (last edited Jul 18, 2014 10:36PM) (new)

caracal-eyes | 134 comments Probably not, but...Permanence? I never did finish it (got bored and gave up), so all I clearly remember is that, yeah, there's an abandoned starship which a team goes to search.

But this post has now brought up a memory of some other book/story about an abandoned ship that was pretty weird, and now it's kind of annoying me. But I don't think that's the one you're looking for, either. Oh well.

Also, I've found that LibraryThing's Tagmash feature can be quite helpful for finding books, and I did a search using 'adventure, aliens, spaceships, sci-fi'--I don't really feel like checking the whole list right now.

message 12: by Bee (new)

Bee (llbee) | 6 comments I've only read a few Andre Norton books and pretty certain he didn't write the one I'm thinking about. But I will look at the list and see if anything pops out at me! I really want to reread it and am just hoping that it won't end up being way cheesier than my 17 yr old self remembers it being :)

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Andre Norton didn't write your book. I am a rabid and dedicated Norton fan, and have read almost everything she ever wrote. Often multiple times. She writes a good story, and, even if her technology is dated, a good story is a good story.

message 14: by David (new)

David (davidofterra) | 59 comments Nicole,

Ghostworld has an abandoned alien ship. It was reprinted as part of the Twilight of the Empire (Twilight of the Empire, #1-3).

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Bee, still looking now?

message 16: by Bee (new)

Bee (llbee) | 6 comments It's definitely not Ghostworld but I feel like we're getting closer possibly!

message 17: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 157 comments If it wasn't based in space, I would say Sphere