Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > July 2013 - Mini-Challenge

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
As always, read as many or as few as you want based around odd and wacky but real holidays.

July is National Anti-Boredom Month. So read a book by your favorite author.

July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme. Bonus if egg is in the title, or on the cover.

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile. :)

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone drives one in the book somewhere.

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up in the book somewhere.

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Cozy Mysteries July 2013 - Mini-Challenge
JULY 1 - 31, 2013
Completed 0 / 5

July is National Anti-Boredom Month. So read a book by your favorite author.
Rainwater
by Sandra Brown
7/5 ****

July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme. Bonus if egg is in the title, or on the cover. 

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile. :) 
Death of an Obnoxious Tourist
by Maria Hudgins

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone drives one in the book somewhere. 

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up in the book somewhere. 

Rainwater by Sandra Brown Death of an Obnoxious Tourist by Maria Hudgins

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7523 comments I love that I don't have one specific favorite author but many that I love, gives me a lot more choices :)

National Anti-Boredom Month - The Mysterious Mr. Quin

Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - The Long Quiche Goodbye

Cheer up the Lonely Day - Maggie Needs An Alibi

Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Dropped Dead Stitch

Aunt and Uncle Day, Father-in-Law Day -Bantam of the Opera

The Mysterious Mr. Quin  by Agatha Christie The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1) by Avery Aames Maggie Needs An Alibi (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #1) by Kasey Michaels Dropped Dead Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, # 7) by Maggie Sefton
Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #5) by Mary Daheim

message 4: by Naomi (last edited Jul 24, 2013 03:53PM) (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 307 comments I'm in! 5/5 - DONE

July is National Anti-Boredom Month - Tarnished and Torn by Juliet Blackwell

Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Peach Pies and Alibis by Ellery Adams

Cheer up the Lonely Day - At Home on Ladybug Farm by Donna Ball

Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Sweet Tea Revenge by Laura Childs

Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - The Christie Curse by Victoria Abbott

message 5: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Jul 17, 2013 12:05PM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4521 comments I'm in, too.

5/5

National Anti-Boredom Month. So read a book by your favorite author. Death of Yesterday (Hamish Macbeth, #29) by M.C. Beaton ...7/1/13

Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme. Bonus if egg is in the title, or on the cover. An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1) by Lucy Burdette ..7/17/13

Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile. :) June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2) by Jess Lourey ..7/6/13

Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone drives one in the book somewhere.
How to Dine on Killer Wine (Party Planning, #5) by Penny Warner ...7/15/13

Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up in the book somewhere.

Murder in Mind by Veronica Heley ..7/4/13

message 6: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2013 07:05AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3890 comments Mod
I'll try to be in, but this is my vacation month (first Russia with a friend and later Amsterdam with four friends), so I don't know how much I'm going to read.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Marisa wrote: "I'll try to be in, but this is my vacation month (first Russia with a friend and later Amsterdam with four friends), so I don't know how much I'm going to read."

Jealous over here! :) I've always always always wanted to see Russia, and Amsterdam is my favorite city to visit. Have a great time! :)

message 8: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

❂ Jennifer wrote: "Jealous over here! :) I've always always always wanted to see Russia, and Amsterdam is my favorite city to visit. Have a great time! :) "

Thank you, I'll try (I leave to the airport in a bit time). And I've always wanted to see Australia, so...

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Pichette | 65 comments July is National Anti-Boredom Month. So read a book by your favorite author.
book:Dead Giveaway|485408
July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme. Bonus if egg is in the title, or on the cover.
Murder Half-Baked

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile. :)

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone drives one in the book somewhere.

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up in the book somewhere.
book:Death Runs in the Family|15747377]

Dead Giveaway (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #3) by Leann Sweeney Murder Half-Baked by Kathleen Delaney Death Runs in the Family (The Alvarez Family Murder Mystery #3) by Heather Haven Death Runs in the Family

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in!! Reading honeymoon by James Patterson, my favorite author!!

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Jul 25, 2013 04:05PM) (new)

Melissa | 324 comments July is National Anti-Boredom Month - one of my fave authors, Laura Childs - Sweet Tea Revenge Sweet Tea Revenge (A Tea Shop Mystery, #14) by Laura Childs - 7/20/13

July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Affairs of Steak Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5) by Julie Hyzy - 7/2/13

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Flowerbed of State Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery #1) by Dorothy St. James - 7/8/13

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Unraveled Unraveled (A Knitting Mystery, #9) by Maggie Sefton - 7/11/13

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Fonduing Fathers
Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6) by Julie Hyzy - 7/3/13

message 12: by Beth (last edited Jul 25, 2013 05:48PM) (new)

Beth Revers | 52 comments Coming at this late. will, try and add as I can.
Fav author Hen of the Baskervilles Hen of the Baskervilles (Meg Langslow, #15) by Donna Andrews (If I get it before the end of the month)I succumbed read 7/25/13 Loved it!
July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day Crunch Time (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #16) by Diane Mott Davidson Crunch Time7/18/13
July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day Deadly Forecast Deadly Forecast (Psychic Eye Mystery, #11) by Victoria Laurie 7/20/13 wow!
July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) Crops and Robbers Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3) by Paige Shelton 7/22/13
July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law DayMaggie Needs An Alibi7/12/13 just finished, so am including : ) Maggie Needs An Alibi (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #1) by Kasey Michaels

All done!

message 13: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jul 16, 2013 02:52AM) (new)

Let's go there
2 / 5

1.- National Anti-Boredom Month
2.- Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
3.- Cheer up the Lonely Day: Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan (07/08/2013 - ★★★★)
4.- Ugly Truck Day
5.- Aunt and Uncle Day / Father-in-Law Day: Final Sentence by Daryl Wood Gerber (07/14/2013 - ★★★★)

Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber

message 14: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Vacations are good for my reading ;)

3 / 5

1.- National Anti-Boredom Month: Tulle Death Do Us Part by Annette Blair (07/16/2013 - ★★★★)
3.- Cheer up the Lonely Day: Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan (07/08/2013 - ★★★★)
4.- Ugly Truck Day
5.- Aunt and Uncle Day / Father-in-Law Day: Final Sentence by Daryl Wood Gerber (07/14/2013 - ★★★★)

Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6) by Annette Blair Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4521 comments Finished the challenge with An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1) by Lucy Burdette .

message 16: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Biblophile.

message 17: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

4 / 5

1.- National Anti-Boredom Month: Tulle Death Do Us Part by Annette Blair (07/16/2013 - ★★★★)
4.- Ugly Truck Day: A Custom-Fit Crime by Melissa Bourbon Ramirez (07/17/2013 - ★★★★)

Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6) by Annette Blair Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan A Custom-Fit Crime A Magical Dressmaking Mystery by Melissa Bourbon Ramirez Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7523 comments Congrats to everyone who has finished and who is working on finishing. I finished up last night.

National Anti-Boredom Month - The Mysterious Mr. Quin 7/22/13

Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - The Long Quiche Goodbye 7/16/13

Cheer up the Lonely Day - Maggie Needs An Alibi 7/11/13

Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Dropped Dead Stitch 7/13/13

Aunt and Uncle Day, Father-in-Law Day - Bantam of the Opera 7/19/13

The Mysterious Mr. Quin (Harley Quin) by Agatha Christie The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1) by Avery Aames Maggie Needs An Alibi (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #1) by Kasey Michaels Dropped Dead Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, # 7) by Maggie Sefton
Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #5) by Mary Daheim

message 19: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 20058 comments Mod
Congrats on finishing, Linda! I believe I have one more to do for this month's challenges.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth Revers | 52 comments Congrats to everyone who finished. I may be doomed unless I go out and buy Andrews newest, too many requests at my library system. I feel myself weakening....

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 324 comments Done! I don't really have on fave author, there are a bunch I like. I used Laura Childs, her Tea Shop mysteries have inspired me to take two trips to Charleston now. Her descriptions of the city are excellent.

message 22: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 86 comments Done 5/5! Here's my list:

July is National Anti-Boredom Month. So read a book by your favorite author. Once Burned 8 July 2013

July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme. Bonus if egg is in the title, or on the cover. Sprinkle with Murder 21 July 2013

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile. :) Out of the Easy 24 July 2013

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone drives one in the book somewhere. Peach Pies and Alibis 23 July 2013

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up in the book somewhere. Lucky Stiff 18 July 2013

Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Sprinkle with Murder (A Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2) by Ellery Adams Lucky Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries #4) by Annelise Ryan

message 23: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Lynne!

message 24: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Lynne!

message 25: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2013 08:08PM) (new)

And . . . done!

July is National Anti-Boredom Month. Read a book by your favorite author.

Wild at Heart by Vicki Lewis Thompson

July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme.

Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile.

Tall, Dark & Dead by Tate Hallaway -- loved some of the tongue-in-cheek jibes at my home town

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone who drives one in the book somewhere.

I Cross My Heart by Vicki Lewis Thompson -- Thank heavens cowboys drive trucks, or I'd have been screwed on this challenge, lol.

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up.

Arabella by Georgette Heyer -- Brother shows up

Wild at Heart by Vicki Lewis Thompson Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #1) by Diane Mott Davidson Tall, Dark & Dead (Garnet Lacey, #1) by Tate Hallaway I Cross My Heart (Sons of Chance, #10) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Arabella by Georgette Heyer

message 26: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Heather!

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments July 2013 Mini-Challenge

DONE 7/26/13!

July is National Anti-Boredom Month. So read a book by your favorite author.Let it Burn by Steve HamiltonDONE 7/12/13

July 4 is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Read a book with a food theme. Bonus if egg is in the title, or on the cover.A Broth of Betrayal by Connie ArcherDONE 7/14/13

July 11 is Cheer up the Lonely Day - Read a book that will make you smile. :)Father Knows Death by Jeffrey AllenDONE 7/3/13

July 20 is Ugly Truck Day (it's a "guy" thing) - Read a book that has any kind of truck on the cover, in the title, or someone drives one in the book somewhere.Tarnished and Torn by Juliet BlackwellDONE 7/26/13

July 26 is Aunt and Uncle Day, and July 30 Father-in-Law Day - Read a book where any main character has a relative show up in the book somewhere.You Cannoli Die Once by Shelley CostaDONE 7/11/13

Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10) by Steve Hamilton , A Broth of Betrayal (Soup Lover's Mystery, #2) by Connie Archer , Father Knows Death by Jeffrey Allen , Tarnished and Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5) by Juliet Blackwell , You Cannoli Die Once by Shelley Costa

message 28: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Melodie!

message 29: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Thanks, Marisa, congrats Melodie!

message 30: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Carol!

message 31: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Done

2.- Sidewalk Egg Frying Day: Assaulted Pretzel by Laura Bradford(07/30/2013 - ★★)
4.- Ugly Truck Day: A Custom-Fit Crime by Melissa Bourbon Ramirez (07/17/2013 - ★★★★)

Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6) by Annette Blair Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan A Custom-Fit Crime A Magical Dressmaking Mystery by Melissa Bourbon Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber

message 32: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Carol and Marisa!

message 33: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you, Heather. Just in time LOL

message 34: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Yay for all who finished!! :-)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Melodie wrote: "Yay for all who finished!! :-)"

Yay +1!! :)

message 36: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1177 comments A light month for me. Here are the two that fit the challenge categories:

Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Delicious and Suspicious by Riley Adams

Aunt and Uncle Day, and Father-in-Law Day -Mama Sees Stars by Deborah Sharp (& truck)

Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery #4) by Deborah Sharp Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1) by Riley Adams

message 37: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Nell!