Into the Forest discussion

Buddy Reads > Purpose

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1371 comments Mod
Need a reading partner? Want a buddy read? Post plea and read here.

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Do you suggest we post a new topic with the book title as the subject or the fairy tale / folklore / myth in that book as the subject?

Reason I ask is I want to read Bluebeard Tales from Around the World in September-October (I know almost nothing about Bluebeard so I'm really excited) and I was thinking of trying out a buddy read, but I wasn't sure the best way to post a request in this folder.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Post a new topic heading. I'll join the Bluebeard read.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4207 comments Mod
Chris, i wanted to ask you the same thing, will the discussions go in this folder?
up to now we have:
The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights starting August 15
A Charles de Lint book starting September 1st. We just to decide which one......
And Bluebeard Tales from Around the World September October?

I would like to participate in all of them

message 5: by Christine (new)

They will all go in this folder. Each gets thier own thread.

message 6: by Jalilah (new)

Chris wrote: "They will all go in this folder. Each gets thier own thread."

That's what I thought.
I will definitely take part in the Arabian Nights read starting August 15, and whatever De Lint book in we decide on in September, but unless I can get Bluebeard on an inter-library loan, I will have to pass. I am trying to limit the books I buy!

message 7: by Gina's (new)

message 8: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2128 comments Mod
Gina, we did read Ruby Red as a group read a few months ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Gina's (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 33 comments Melanti wrote: "Gina, we did read Ruby Red as a group read a few months ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Oh! too bad :S

message 10: by Melanti (new)

You can still set up a buddy read if anyone else is interested in reading it - we've had some new members lately that wouldn't have been around last summer.

Or you can always read it and just bump the thread up with any new comments you want - we never close the the group read threads.

message 11: by Gina's (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 33 comments Melanti wrote: "You can still set up a buddy read if anyone else is interested in reading it - we've had some new members lately that wouldn't have been around last summer.

Or you can always read it and just bump..."

So I can use the archived one and then post new comments, dates and all in it??

message 12: by Melanti (new)

You can always bump any of the threads at any time - especially book related threads!

The only reason we have a "Previous Group Reads" folder is that only a certain amount of folders fit onto the group's home page, so consolidating all those reads into one folder means that they're easier to find.

message 13: by Gina's (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 33 comments Melanti wrote: "You can always bump any of the threads at any time - especially book related threads!

The only reason we have a "Previous Group Reads" folder is that only a certain amount of folders fit onto the..."

Okay, so if someone would like to read it with me I'll keep an order :)

message 14: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 18, 2015 04:48PM) (new)

Gina wrote: So I can use the archived one and then post new comments, dates and all in it?? .."

Absolutely! As Melanti said, you can comment on any old threads. I recently bumped up an old one from 2010 ( The Book of Lost Things) because I had just read the book. That started up a new discussion!

message 15: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy Looking for someone to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black with me.
I was thinking of starting fairly soon, like this weekend, but could also put it off for a bit if someone was interested but not ready yet ;).

message 16: by Jalilah (new)

Rachel wrote: "Looking for someone to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black with me.
I was thinking of starting fairly soon, like this weekend, but could also put it off for a bit if someone was interested but not read..."

Funny! I just thinking the other day that I'd like to reread this entire series. I don't think I could do it this month but if you're like to start up a new thread Rachel, I'll definitely join in later!

message 17: by Rachel Joy (last edited Jun 02, 2014 06:39PM) (new)

Rachel Joy Jalilah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Looking for someone to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black with me.
I was thinking of starting fairly soon, like this weekend, but could also put it off for a bit if someone was interest..."

Actually, Jalilah, I just dove into Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor , had no idea I would fall so in love with this story/author so much, and am perfectly content hanging out with Karou (main character, in case you haven't read it) for now. It is filled with mythical creatures, so would be quite appropriate for Into the Forest people.
I will definitely be wanting to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black and Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3) by Holly Black soon, i.e. this summer, July/August-ish.

message 18: by Jalilah (new)

Rachel wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Looking for someone to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black with me.
I was thinking of starting fairly soon, like this weekend, but could also put it off for a bit if some..."

I just might join you Rachel. I LOVE The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy. I've read the first 2. Is the third out yet?

message 19: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy Yes! The latest one, Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor is out in hardcover at your local bookstore ;).
And, me too . . . I LOVE Karou and her world!!!

message 20: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy Jalilah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Looking for someone to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black with me.
I was thinking of starting fairly soon, like this weekend, but could also put it off fo..."

I hope you don't mind, Jalilah, but I'm starting Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black now. I just have so many TBR books and this one is really calling to me ;).

message 21: by Jalilah (new)

Rachel wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Looking for someone to read Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black with me.
I was thinking of starting fairly soon, like this weekend, but could al..."

No problem! I won't be able to start right away!

message 22: by Jalilah (new)

Is any one interested in a buddy read for The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich?

message 23: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments I am! It is on my shelf and I can start in the next week or two.

message 24: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments I read The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horseand would be willing to participate in the discussion. It's an amazing book!

message 25: by Jalilah (new)

Shomeret wrote: "I read The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horseand would be willing to participate in the discussion. It's an amazing book!"

Leann wrote: "I am! It is on my shelf and I can start in the next week or two."

That's great Leann and Shomeret!
My copy of Bird Girl & the Man Who Followed the Sun: An Athabaskan Indian Legend from Alaska just arrived so I could start The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse after that! Do you prefer I start up the thread in one week or two?

message 26: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments Split the difference and start the thread around the 21st?

message 27: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments Around the 21st would be fine for me too.

message 28: by Jalilah (new)

Shomeret wrote: "Around the 21st would be fine for me too."

Leann wrote: "Split the difference and start the thread around the 21st?"

Great! I'll set up a thread starting around the 21! I've already ordered it!

message 29: by Melanti (new)

I wasn't going to join in since I still have a couple of group reads pending for this month but it looks like I only have one next month and I might not even be able to get a copy of that one, so I should have plenty of spare reading time.

I might chime in a bit late, but I'll do my best to participate.

message 30: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 245 comments i'm going to read it too, but might be too busy to comment for a few weeks

message 31: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 245 comments oooh didn't realise the conversation happened in April!

message 32: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 19, 2015 05:23AM) (new)

Zanna wrote: "oooh didn't realise the conversation happened in April!"

Zanna, it's never too late to post your comments on any of the threads here!
Even though some of us read The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse a few months ago I am sure some of us will be happy to continue talking about it! In fact it got me started and I've read two other Louise Erdrich books since! I love her writing!
Herehttps://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... is the link for the thread:

message 33: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 245 comments Jalilah thank you very much! The book is on my pile and I'll be sure to read the thread and add anything that fills might find interesting when i read it, which i hope will be soon

message 34: by Jalilah (new)

Zanna wrote: "Jalilah thank you very much! The book is on my pile and I'll be sure to read the thread and add anything that fills might find interesting when i read it, which i hope will be soon"

Oh please do Zanna! I always appreciate your comments and The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse is a very rich and thought provoking book. I would love to still discuss it!

message 35: by Jalilah (new)

Several of you mentioned you'd like to read The Grass Dancer
Author Susan Power kindly offered to join in on our discussion.
Is there anytime in particular that would be good for all of you.
I can't this month, but I am thinking it would be better not to put it off too long.
Would some time this fall be good?
Please let me know when.

message 36: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 814 comments Jalilah wrote: "Several of you mentioned you'd like to read The Grass Dancer
Is there anytime in particular that would be..."

I'll join. August & September is pretty crazy for me, but then things settle down. But whatever works for the group.

message 37: by Melanti (new)

Yes, but I have absolutely no idea as to when.

Definitely not this month, and probably not next month. Well, maybe really late in the month - it just depends on how long it takes me to get settled in to the new house.

To be honest, you might be better off ignoring what I say and I'll catch up when I can.

message 38: by Jalilah (new)

Melanti wrote: "Yes, but I have absolutely no idea as to when.

Definitely not this month, and probably not next month. Well, maybe really late in the month - it just depends on how long it takes me to get sett..."

Kathy wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Several of you mentioned you'd like to read The Grass Dancer
Is there anytime in particul..."

Maybe October would be more realistic? I've got plenty to read until then.

message 39: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) | 237 comments October or late September looks best for me.

message 40: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3338 comments Mod
October would be good for me.

message 41: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 245 comments Ooh i might be able to join that read too, I'll order the book when i get a chance.

message 42: by Jalilah (new)

Anyone interested in reading Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint?
I am in the mood for a fun summer read and this book fits our theme perfectly. I read it years ago, but never wrote a review and always wanted to re-read it.
I am thinking about in July

message 43: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 7 comments That sounds fun. I'm in.

message 44: by Melanti (new)

I'm interested in re-reading but I'm not sure if I'll have the time.

I'll let you know sooner to July though.

message 45: by Margaret (last edited May 28, 2016 04:58PM) (new)

Margaret | 3338 comments Mod
I may or may not join in. I'll let you know closer to July as well.

message 46: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments I'll join in for a July read of Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint. Now, is this one of the Newford's that I can read with having only ever read one other book in that world (The Onion Girl)?

message 47: by Jalilah (new)

Leah wrote: "I'll join in for a July read of Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint. Now, is this one of the Newford's that I can read with having only ever read one other book in that world ([book:The Onion..."

Exactly! Someplace to be Flying is a great place to start because you don't need to have read any of the previous Newford books. It has all new characters from the previous books.

message 48: by Jalilah (new)

Leah wrote: "I'll join in for a July read of Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint. Now, is this one of the Newford's that I can read with having only ever read one other book in that world ([book:The Onion..."

Melanti wrote: "I'm interested in re-reading but I'm not sure if I'll have the time.

I'll let you know sooner to July though."

James wrote: "That sounds fun. I'm in."

Okay just let me know everyone around the time!

message 49: by Jalilah (new)

Does anyone want to do a buddy read with me for either Some Kind of Fairy Tale or Krampus: The Yule Lord? My library has both , so I've ordered them just in case.

message 50: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 687 comments If the library has a copy and/or can get me one quickly, I'll join you. I'll check tomorrow.

« previous 1 3