Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > need recommendation

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments Ive read a lot of good books lately but none of them, including some under the "horror" category, were all that scary. I am in what you could call withdrawal. Im looking for a book with some good, but genuine (ahem), scares. Something I will remember. Here is a list of unread books on my kindle, which one would fit the bill best? The Hangmans Daughter (Potzsch), Loveliest Dead (Garton), The New Neighbor (ditto), Covenant (Everson), Gossamer (Thompson), Afraid (Kilbourne), The Dark (Herbert). Please don't provide any other suggestions; only the best (as in scariest....original helps too) on the list.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I'm not sure about the other books but Afraid was a blast, great fun to read and a real page turner. It's not the scariest thing I've read but it's a great book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Eric,

I highly recommend The Loveliest Dead. It's a well written and very scary novel. I enjoyed it very much and have recommended it to many people.

The Dark by Herbert is another great choice.

Here are some books that have terrified me:

The Survivor by James Herbert It by Stephen King The Haunting by Ruby Jean Jensen The Entity by Frank De Felitta Audrey Rose by Frank De Felitta Hellfire by John Saul The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub Comes the Blind Fury by John Saul Floating Dragon by Peter Straub Koko by Peter Straub The Throat by Peter Straub Mr. X by Peter Straub A Dark Matter by Peter Straub In the Night Room by Peter Straub Thr3e by Ted Dekker Adam by Ted Dekker BoneMan's Daughters by Ted Dekker The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker Obsessed by Ted Dekker The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1) by Scott Nicholson The Skull Ring by Scott Nicholson The Manor by Scott Nicholson Playmates by Andrew Neiderman The Stalker by Claude Teweles The Backwoods by Edward Lee Death Mask by Graham Masterton The Voice of the Night by Dean R. Koontz Halloween by Curtis Richards

I hope you find something to your liking among these books. Happy reading!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Nice recs, Kyle. :)

message 5: by Robby (new)

Robby | 38 comments Kate wrote: "I'm not sure about the other books but Afraid was a blast, great fun to read and a real page turner. It's not the scariest thing I've read but it's a great book."

"Ditto"

message 6: by Eric (last edited Jun 10, 2013 04:40AM) (new)

Eric | 30 comments Thanks Kyle. I've read some of those, including IT and all of the Straub except for Throat. Ted Dekker is new to me.

message 7: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments Are books written by Ted Dekker worth reading?

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments About a third of the way through Afraid and Im having doubts. Please tell me (no spoilers) this isn't a run-of-the-mill serial killer novel...or even a slightly above average one...

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I didn't think Afraid was run of the mill. If you're a third of the way through and not really enjoying it then it might not be your cup of tea.
I had a blast reading it though.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments Would you put Kilborn in the same category as horror writers like Jack Ketchum?

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments No, I read Kilborn/Konrath because they're good fun to read. He writes a good solid story, they're mostly thrillers rather than horror and most of his stuff I've rated 4*.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments Ok. Im a bigger fan of the supernatural variety (though not crazy for anything gothic like Saul or Lovecraft).

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Have you read Seed by Ania Ahlborn , that was a book that unsettled me a lot. The ending was pretty shocking.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (hellraisercollk) | 81 comments I like Dekker but his books are more weird than scary. The one book that really frightened me(although I was much younger when I read it) was Phantoms by Dean Koontz.