Start by marking “Audrey Rose” as Want to Read:
Audrey Rose

Audrey Rose

(Audrey Rose #1)

Suppose a stranger told you your daughter was his daughter in another life? Suppose you began to believe him? Suppose it was true?
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published March 21st 1984 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Audrey Rose, please sign up.
Rose I read the book when I was about 12 or 13. Reincarnation was not a new concept since we were a church going family but the details and circumstances i…moreI read the book when I was about 12 or 13. Reincarnation was not a new concept since we were a church going family but the details and circumstances in this book blew me away. I have watched the movie when I was in my young 20s and even after more than a ten year span from reading the book, still remembered the pictures the book created in my mind. The movie in no way compares to the ability of the book to spark your inner imagination.(less)
Lindsay Critelli The novel did. The author also did the screenplay for the movie.
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHeart-Shaped Box by Joe HillGhost Story by Peter Straub
Ghost Stories
1,257 books — 1,844 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard  AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
1,579 books — 1,719 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Audrey Rose
Char
Back in the late 70's I guess, maybe the early 80's, I read this book and I loved it. I was very excited when I saw that Valancourt Books was bringing it back into print, but had trouble working it into my reading schedule. When I was offered a chance to review the audiobook, I jumped at it and I'm glad I did.

It turns out that I had forgotten a lot of this story. Not only that-I think a lot of its social commentary went over my head because I was only a young teen at the time and didn't know hal
Carol
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

Well.Well.Well.Wow.Wow.Wow. What do I say.......

...Totally absorbing read....from beginning to end.

...Disturbing....Audrey Rose and the mysterious man.

...Unsettling....tragedy and finale.

...Creepy....each nightmare.

I love classic horror, well really paranormal in this case, and in this 1975 work by Frank De Felitta, AUDREY ROSE a first time read and nice surprise.

Something happened in 1967....something bad that causes one desperate man to seek answers from the beyond to give pea

Bark
Courtesy of Valancourt Books & Audiobookboom, thanks!

I have vague memories of being afraid of this movie when I was a kid and that was all I remembered so when the chance came around to listen to the audio I grabbed it. I’m terribly impulsive like that.

The Templeton’s have a lovely home in Manhattan, a beautiful young daughter and an all-around perfect life. You know that’s all blessedly coming to crashing halt right now, don’t you? One day a strange man starts lurking about, sending gifts and d
Space
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Space by: Lisa
Wow, where do I start? You saw the five stars. Let me add to that the fact that I spent all day today, Thanksgiving day, sitting on the couch reading while my daughter played with her dollhouse on the rug and my wife made preparations for our festivities tomorrow. It was a perfect day to read, and read I did. I tore through the last 275 pages of the 460-page book today. That's probably the most I've ever read in one day. It's also likely the most I've ever been gripped by a book. Ever.

Seriously,
Karen Miller
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing

It's strange that so many of the reviewers here have said the same thing, but I -- too-- read this book when I was probably much too young to do so. I was 12, and I remember the book not scaring me, but definitely intriguing me.

I re-read it a few years ago and found that it was better as a memory.

Still, I have to give it five stars because of the impression it first left.

Just as a side note...I HATED the movie.
innae
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ghost, mystery
First, this book, though widely touted as a HORROR novel, is not horror. I would definitely think some supernatural work is here, but not horror. I wonder if it is the time period in which the book was written...before sci-fi/fantasy and supernatural thrillers were the norm, so, Horror was the closest genre to what it was.

Second, it DRAGS. It repeats itself over and over. It could have been much shorter.

Third, the trial is worth reading, but you don't get that until the last 100 pages of the boo
11811 (Eleven)
I wasn't a huge fan of this. The premise never really grabbed me but my love for seventies horror made me check it out anyway. It lacked the intensity of contemporaries like The Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby. The pacing is slow and the plot isn't very interesting.

I received a free copy from audiobookboom. The narration was top notch.
Lobstergirl
I have such fond memories of the days when everyone was obsessed with reincarnation.
Brian Schwartz
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I enjoyed this AUDREY ROSE a great deal when I first read it as an adolescent. I enjoyed reading it just as much as an adult. However the perspectives were much different. As a child, I enjoyed what was a fascinating tale. I was particularly taken with the creepy autopsy notes at the end. I had never read a tale whose resolution was presented in such an unconventional manner.

My perspective as an adult was more emotional. As a middle-aged man, I am the father of a nine year old daughter. My attac
Nick
Audrey Rose is a well-known 70’s horror novel which I have always wanted to read as it is touted as a classic. It was also made into a film which I have not seen.

The book introduces the Templeton family, Bill, Janice and their daughter Ivy who live in New York City. Ivy suffers from severe nightmares which entail her running around shouting and screaming “hothothot” as she pushes against windows. This is scary, nerve shredding and heart breaking not just for the Templeton’s but for the reader as
Heidi Ward
There was quite the trend for horrifying book covers in the 70s -- lots of creepy children with blank, staring eyes, or faces distorted with terror, dripping blood or gouting flames. I used to dread standing in line at the supermarket with my mom, because invariably there would be some gruesome John Saul novel in the racks that would later compel nightmares of glowing-eyed waifs coming to get me. I also remember the cover of Audrey Rose scaring the bejayzus out of me when I first saw in on the c ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bren
I didn't join the fans of this one. Another reviewer said it best. It is not a horror novel. It is more a drama with many a super natural overtone.

This book was so morose. For those of you who do not know of this book which is, to many, a horror classic, it is the story of a man who becomes convinced that his dead daughter has become alive again in the form of another family's baby.

I did not hate this but I sure did not like it. It contains not one moment of light. The whole thing is torture as
Kimberly Antill
Audrey Rose had been on my reading list for quite sometime now and I finally got a chance to read it. And it was definitely worth it! Many people have categorized it under the genre of horror but I'm not sure if I would. For me, I thought of it being more like a slow burning psychological thriller. While nothing was overly scary, the story had a spooky undertone throughout, leaving me to think about it long after the cover had been closed.
I read this as a tween - and what stuck with me most was the idea of reincarnation. I think I knew about it before I read this book - but this was the first book I had read where the idea was really pushed - and I found that really interesting. I think the book pushed my little mind open a little more than it was at the time - and that makes me remember it more fondly than I probably should.
Sharon
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
One word....DISTURBING. Not so much a horror, though.....something more, something that stirs some kind of ancient truth. It forces one to really consider belief systems that clings to the idea of reincarnation. The author managed to create a thought provoking, yet utterly enjoyable (not the right word, but close enough) read. This tale will stay with me, perhaps even haunt me, for a very long time.
Gary
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Slow to start...but once into the meat of the story...the pages were turning fast......I had read this when I was 14....no telling what happened to my original copy. I got another at www.abesbooks.com for $3.50, and no shipping fee. I am glad I read it again. You know how you're worried it won't be what you remembered?? The thrill won't be the same? I really enjoyed this one. Get a copy,and set it back to read next October. It's that good. ...more
Valancourt Books
Audiobook now available:

Amazon US | Amazon UK | Audible
Cindy Boogie
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book but I think it spent too much time going over Hoover's Journal entries.
Kristal
Bill and Janice Templeton live a life of luxury with their daughter Ivy in the hustle and bustle of New York City. For Janice, their apartment is a fortress away from the crazies that live outside their door. The day that Janice finds a strange man waiting for Ivy outside the school, she quickly grabs her daughter and hurries home, hoping to put distance between her and the fear that something terrible is about to tear her family apart. But when Mr. Hoover, the stranger, shows up on the Templeto ...more
Kasey Jane
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
My grandmother loved reading cheesy seventies horror books. This is one of those covers that stared at me for most of my life, so I finally decided to read it.

It was a book much improved by skimming.
AudioBookReviewer
My original Audrey Rose audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Audrey Rose is a serious and well written story about a small child who died in a fiery crash and has come back reincarnated as Ivy Templeton.  Audrey father, Elliot Hoover has spent years learning about reincarnation and Hinduism and more to find peace and determine if a psychic’s words that Audrey is alive and well, living in New York is true.

Hoover becomes a weird stalker type trying to convince the Te
Keith Chawgo
A classic that is slightly dated.

De Felitta's classic Audrey Rose was one of those bestsellers that was on every bookshelf in the 70s and felt every household owned a copy. It was up there with Erica Jong's Fear of Flying, Blatty's The Exorcist to name a few.

The book starts out with the seemingly perfect existence of the Templeton family and the beautiful Ivy as they lead their day to day lives. It all starts to go south when a man starts following the Templeton family. The cracks start to show
Michael
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I think perhaps my opinion of Audrey Rose suffers because it wasn't at all what I was expecting.  I knew it involved reincarnation, of course, but very little beyond that.  I was under the impression that this was primarily a work of horror, but I find that it doesn't fit into that genre very well.

...Unfortunately, I found much of the book boring-- plodding, in fact.  There are "page-turner" sections, but in between, it's so dull that I had to convince myself to keep reading.

My chief complaint
B.
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Man can this guy write! I was sucked in right from chapter 1 through until the end. I really feel like the authors knows how to write "people", in other words the characters did not feel like caricatures or cut-outs, but real people dealing with something terrifying.

The story itself was intriguing. I have been interested for the last several years in the concept of re-incarnation, Hinduism, Buddhism and other eastern thought, so this book was right up my alley. Even though I was aware of many of
Marcus Ionis
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-modern
There were a number of criticism when this book came out. It was on the heals of the "Exorcist", so stories about a girl troubled by the supernatural wasn't uncommon and were the flavor of the month. However, I think Audrey Rose was different in some way. It wasn't about anything evil or unholy but a curiosity of reincarnation. The characters are a perfect vehicle for western audiences to see and think a non Judia-Christian view of the after life. Even though this book is purely fiction. But the ...more
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a haunting tale in many ways including a phrase that still sticks with me months after reading the book. It is painstakingly constructed and the realism is what makes it terrifying. What if reincarnation is real but goes wrong? I did not expect the book to turn into a courtroom drama and suspect that reflects the time when it was written. Though that portion dampens the otherworldliness a bit, the final courtroom scene is worth the investment. Audrey Rose very much has a mid-seventies se ...more
Nat Cassidy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mary-research
I was NOT expecting this book to pack such a punch. Because of a slow and kinda clumsy first quarter, this is really more of a 4.5 stars rating, but what I thought would be a kinda dated, woo-woo, EXORCIST stepchild soon became a gripping, surprising, and heartwrenching family drama. Extra points for the audiobook, narrated by Matt Godfrey, who made several scenes pulse with an uncanny terror that might have actually rendered some moments even more effectively than on the page.
Rick Sanchez
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another top-notch NY story, but this time in the realm of reincarnation! It got me to thinking - if I were reincarnated, I think I would be a mountain goat. Just because.
Rachel
Another I read eons ago but despite my crappy memory have never forgotten this one. Will admit to being a teen when I read it; I've always liked books more for adult audiences however despite having been thru more by 12 than many ppl ever go thru mostly re medical issues and dozens of hospitalizations and by virtue of this having been always thought of by myself and others (adults who made up my friends well before I was an adult myself, not having much in common with ppl my own age until just t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Other
  • The Sentinel
  • Halloween
  • The Fog
  • Rosemary's Baby (Rosemary's Baby, #1)
  • The Bad Seed
  • Jaws (Jaws #1)
  • Cold Fire / Hideaway / The Key to Midnight
  • The Exorcist
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • Psycho (Psycho #1)
  • Darkness
Frank's latest book, "L'Opera Italiano," is now available as an ebook on Amazon.com and BN.com.

Best known for Audrey Rose and The Entity, De Felitta has also made a name for himself in the theatrical world as a producer, writer, and director.

De Felitta also briefly experimented with song writing, with one of his songs appearing in his son Raymond De Felitta's film "Two Family House".

Audrey Rose (2 books)
  • For Love of Audrey Rose

News & Interviews

“The first rule in questioning any witness is: Never ask a question if you are not sure what the answer will be. - Brice Mack” 0 likes