Start by marking “Halloween” as Want to Read:
Halloween

Halloween

(Halloween #1)

Based on the screenplay by John Carpenter and Debra Hill.

Tricked by his cunning ... Treated to his savagery ... Annie, Linda and Laurie ... fresh, pretty, ready to be taken ... stalked by a sadistic power who has returned to claim new victims, on this ... the most frightening night of the year.
Mass Market Paperback, 168 pages
Published by Bantam Books (first published October 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween, please sign up.
Jeffrey Hale It's difficult to find for cheap. A copy in poor condition will probably run you $30-$50. I've been keeping my eye out for a while now. If you…moreIt's difficult to find for cheap. A copy in poor condition will probably run you $30-$50. I've been keeping my eye out for a while now. If you wouldn't mind shelling out $30 for a wrinkled mess, I would suggest checking out Abe Books.(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I have had this book a million and one years and I love it so much! I love the old Halloween movies like you wouldn't believe. Watched them over and over as a kid and still to this day. I enjoyed the book a great deal, there are a few little tidbits added to the book that are not in the movie. I loved how you get the thoughts of Laurie and some other characters in the book that's not JUST in the movie!

The gory little figure turned and stepped over the fallen furniture and scattered clothing and
Alejandro
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As good as the movie!!!

This is the novelization by Curtis Richards based on the original screenplay done for the film by John Carpenter & Debra Hill.

IF YOU KNEW BY HEART THE FILM...IS IT WORTHY TO READ THE NOVEL?

Quick answer... YES!!!

...but those are movies. You can always turn the television off if you get too scared. You can't turn off real life.

I had already watched the film several times in the past, but since I was able to get a copy of it like four years ago, I set a "tradition" to watch the fil/>/>
Carol
"TRICK...OR TREAT...OR DIE"

It's 1963.......Take a trip to Haddonfield, Illinois for a spook-filled time of goblins and witches, scary Jack-o-lanterns and the real bogeyman if. you. dare. as 6 year old Michael Myers answers the demanding wicked voices in his head with a violent attack on HALLOWEEN night.

Dressed as a clown, and later referred to as "IT" (sound familiar Stephen King fans?) even after 15 years in exile at the Warren County Sanitarium, Michael returns and the evil is still not gone, only darker and more viciously savage.

My wonderful vintage copy (see bookcover) osavage.

Mynight.

DressedDIE"

It's
Peter
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Finally you come to learn about the background story why Michael Myers started to kill! Fantastic read, okay, not the highest literary style and skills, but extremely compelling and eerie. If you know the movie (I watched the whole series for several times) you can still experience more details you missed between the scenes. Absolutely recommended! If you want to get in the mood for Halloween or Samhain this is the book you should focus your attention to. Now!
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }

- My Description -
Halloween - The time of year for the giving of candy and fear of ghosts.

Halloween 1963 - Young Michael Myers brutally stabs his older sister with a large kitchen knife.

He is sent to an insane asylum where he sits for 15 years till one night, Halloween 1978.

Michael returns to Haddonfield.

He's come home for unfinished business.
He's come home to kill.

- My Review -
For anyone who has watched and loved the movie, Halloween, you'll love this book.

It gives deeper insight to the back
Gianfranco Mancini
Movie novelizations/tie-ins usually suck, but this was very good. Almost as good as John Carpenter's cult movie. Almost.

Rebecca McNutt
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the 1970's film was better, but this book was really amazing, too. It was well-written and descriptive and very gripping and suspenseful.
Jack Tripper
Mar 29, 2016 marked it as to-read
description

(Cover of the first Bantam mass-market printing from 1979. I don't normally read novelizations, but this one supposedly adds a lot of depth and backstory to Michael Myers. Too bad it's nearly impossible to find in decent condition for less than $100, which is crazy.)
André
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
No form of the written word is more maligned than the "movie tie-in" paperback novel: those hastily written adaptations of film scripts released to coincide with a movie opening to stir up more attention and hopefully rake in extra cash. Some of these actually became quite collectible, depending on the cult nature of the film, and scarcity of the first pressing.
Halloween, based on the now iconic horror movie, was one of a number of film related horror titles Bantam books was doing at the t
Courtnie
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2016

John Carpenter's Halloween...the no-brainer "Set on Halloween" book. A classic, one of the original slashers. Often imitated. Interestingly enough, until today, I'd never seen the movie.

I fell into this perfectly. It wasn't until I started the book and read the blurb that I realized that this book is a novelization of the film. That discouraged me a little because just the idea of a book based on screenplay sounds like a rip off. Can you create an iceburg from the top down?

Turns out, you can. Or at least Curtis Richards can. Idown?

Turnsmovie.

I

Stewart Sternberg
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
People read novelizations of movies either to relive favorite moments, perhaps to get an extra insight, or because they just wanted a new way to experience a film. Me? All of the above. What a shame Curtis Richards wasn't up to the task. His writing is simplistic to the point of being juvenile. This is someone doing a job, and poorly, not writing from a deep love for the genre or the subject. The real monster in his book is weary cliche.
Sharon
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween-reads
I'm a big fan of the John Carpenter film so I was expecting a fairly straightforward movie tie-in, given that this book was written after the film.

I was pleasantly surprised - this gives the characters so much more depth, and we find out so much more about Michael Myers and what makes him tick. We see how a curse in ancient Northern Ireland led to an evil soul doomed to walk the earth, repeating evil deeds over and over - and how it eventually ended up affecting Michael's Grandfather and then h
Lance Dale
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little biased since this is one of my favorite movies of all-time. It's hard to take off the "fanboy glasses" sometimes. The story unfolds pretty much the same as the movie; however, there is a dash of other details sprinkled in here and there. It's not worth the $300 price tag (it's long out of print and this is what it will cost you if you find it out in the wild); however the ebook can be found online. It's a fun read if you're a fan of the movie. Also, the cover is ridiculous and aweso ...more
Andrew Cliett
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is far different from the film, which is why I didn't like it.
It delves into the reasoning of Michael Myers, the reason he is so creepy is because he's just there for no apparent cause. It's much more creepier to some random guy just kill 3 people (As an adult, in THIS movie, snyway) with no remorse or feeling. Loomis was a nice element in this, he was the only one actually trying to stop Michael.
The end, having Michael shot 6 times over the balcony of the Doyle house (An error
 Martin
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
More like 3 1/2. Fun read, especially for the origins of the curse of Samhain and Michael Myers' life in Smith's Grove Sanitarium. Just wish the characters could have been more fleshed out.
BRNTerri
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thomas
Oct 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, horror
I didn't actually see Halloween until about twelve years ago. I've never been a big horror movie buff, but around that time I tried to get around to seeing some of the classics. I remember watching it and thinking, "That's it?", but it was also over 25 years since it had been released, so maybe it hurt that I didn't see it during its original release to understand its context as one of the first slasher movies.

(Side note: Thank whomever I didn't see it during its release. I was six!)
Peter Gulgowski
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book, as it has been out of print since the 1980s. Listings for the book on Amazon are not cheap, and that makes me sad that many fans of the film will never read this novelization.

Here's my review.

What a ride! As a fan of the 1978 film, when I found out there was a novelization, I was already hooked. "Halloween" delves into the world of killer, Michael Myers who began his killing pursuit at the age of 6. The book goes where the film did not. It
Jeff Spencer
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
As a fan of the film, and the holiday as well, I really, really wanted to like this book. However, if you have seen the film, then you pretty much have read the book (which is kind of the point). So taking that into account, I tried to imagine myself never seeing the film and just reading the book, and found it rather enjoyable. It is not a masterpiece, but it is interesting, especially with the references to Samhain and the origins of the evil that possesses the body of Michael Myers.

This deta
Elusive
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Halloween’ is about little Michael Myers who kills his elder sister after repeatedly hearing a mysterious voice. Years later when he escapes from the sanitarium, he stalks three teenage babysitters while his psychiatrist and the police attempt to track him down.

The background behind the voice was given at the beginning of the book. It was interesting, dark and sad all at the same time but most importantly, it helped explain the existence and owner of the voice. The part where Michael killed hi
Nichole Rose
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hamza
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, film, u-s
This is a great book, and probably one of the better movie novelizations I've ever read. It does differ from the movie in some ways that seem unnecessary, such as changing some lines or adding more drama to some of the more mundane earlier parts of the film before the climax. Speaking of climaxes, some of the sex scenes in this book are extremely graphic, which makes me wonder if Richard Curtis (the real name of "Curtis Richards") didn't secretly want to be a romance novelist before deciding to ...more
J K
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, biased because of the film, and this version has several typos and occasionally suspect formatting - but it's Halloween! There's also an interesting back storyto Michae Myers which the 1978 movie (still the best, duh) really didn't get a chance to touch on. Not sure if explaining the evil would have worked anyway, in the movie (avoid the sequels after 2 when it really gets pagan child of Myers blah blah blah). This is the pulpy horror classic with a few interesting extras, well worth check ...more
William Hage
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bad for a movie tie-in. I would have given it a higher rating, but I really didn't like the author's choice to try and explain why Michael Myers did what he did. The author also basically made him a sexual sadist which is so far from what Myers represented in the movies. He took away the thing that made Myers scary and that was no one knew why, not the characters and not us.

Lovecraft put it best: “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear
Reid
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
The novelization of "Halloween" was quite a quick read. I didn't expect literary genius, but the book was fairly well crafted and kept me involved. While I did enjoy some of the "fleshing out" of the characters, I truly didn't enjoy the characterization of Michael Myers. The Celtic angle was a nice touch, but I think that the lack of motive in the Carpenter film actually made the character more intriguing. Either way, this was a lovely addition to my spooky bookshelf -- courtesy of my lovely gir ...more
Greg Kerestan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a rare thing when the novelization of a movie actually becomes an essential read, but the novels of the early "Halloween" films manage to pull it off, fleshing out the stories with the Samhain mythology that was cut from the final films, only briefly hinted at in "Halloween II." Why is Michael Myers slowly metamorphosed from an insane youth to a nearly invincible figure, growing in size as time passes? The movies won't address it, but the book does.
Emily Ward
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was very good,similar to the movie, yet different, it's kind of hard to explain, but I liked the book better than the original movie. I read this book when I was about 11 or 12. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the Halloween series. I really liked how it grasped the idea of true horror. No movie or book scares me, but this one somehow did. I think John Carpenter did an amazing job on the movie, but I do have to admit, I like the book better. I totally recommend it!
Shane
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novelisations
Loved the film. Loved the novel at least as much. Was interesting to hear Michael Myers' thoughts and the odd memory of him as a child. I wasn't so keen on the little explanation at the beginning about the curse in ancient times and so on, it felt a bit unnecessary and I would've preferred the author to have left it out completely.

Very good, which is probably not something that's said too often about novelisations.
Kathy Taylor
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like the movie Halloween, then you will like the book just as much.

With more background information about the happenings on the eve of Samhain, we come to understand why Michael did what he did and became the monster we have grown to love to hate.

This book also takes you along the screenplay of the movie. Great book. I can't emphasize it enough.
Joe Chait
This movie tie-in was remarkably faithful to the John Carpenter screenplay. It added some background on the Druid curse that is hinted at throughout the film franchise. While most slasher flicks contain a strong dose of sexuality, the author really dwells on this part of the story. Creepily, we often look at the world through Michael Myers' eyes.
« previous 1 3 next »
Happy Halloween Day 2016 1 2 Aug 23, 2016 02:33AM
HALLOWEEN 3 15 Jan 28, 2015 01:01AM
What other Horror books do you like. 1 5 Jan 26, 2015 09:58AM
HIGH ON HORROR: Introduce yourselves here, fellow horror fans. 251 120 Aug 12, 2014 12:20PM
HIGH ON HORROR: Which Halloween Character Are You? 7 15 Jan 28, 2014 02:42PM
For the love of H...: HALLOWEEN, THE ULTIMATE HORROR CLASSIC! 2 7 Jan 22, 2014 04:06PM
For the love of H...: Which Halloween Character Are You? 1 9 Jan 21, 2014 11:02PM

• The Day the President Was Shot: The Secret Service, the FBI, a Would-Be Killer, and the Attempted Assassination of Ronald Reagan (The Last Days Series)
  • Quiver
  • Ichi the killer, vol. 1
  • The Howling
  • I Am Not Ashamed
  • Halloween II
  • Night of the Living Dead: Behind the Scenes of the Most Terrifying Zombie Movie Ever
  • Friday the 13th
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Wind Chill  (The Red Rock Mysteries #14)
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Five Days: Which Days Would You Choose?
  • Freeway Rick Ross: The Untold Autobiography