Rated YA-MA discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read Scheduling Topic - Place Your Buddy Read Requests Here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 193 (193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Jul 01, 2013 01:45PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Here is the place for members to plan buddy reads.

This topic is to be used for two things only :

1. Requesting a buddy read
2. Planning the date for a buddy read to start

Any book discussions should be moved to the appropriate buddy read or series topic.

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments This thread is officially open.

Please see Stacia's post above regarding how this thread should work.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The first upcoming buddy read is for Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2) by Laini Taylor on July 1st. It will be discussed in the series topic for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, located in the PNR/Urban Fantasy folder.

*edit* the date for DoBaS has been pushed back to roughly start late Wednesday/early Thursday, July 3/4.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments And I just realized that Thurday is the 4th of July for those of us who celebrate in the states. *smack forehead*

Yeah, at least a few of us are going to be dragging this buddy read out for a while, haha.

message 5: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I totally forgot about that buddy read but I'll see if I can squeeze it in this week/weekend. I'm going on vacation in a week and that book is on my bookshelf, but I only plan on bringing the Kindle with me.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninthed) I'm sorry but what is a buddy read? Is this different from a group read?

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments It's just an informal instance of a couple (or few) people getting together and reading and discussing a book together, which is of their own choosing.

The group reads are a group activity. Nominations are from the group, voted on by the group, and read together as a group.

message 8: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments So it looks like a few ladies are getting together to buddy The Book Thief by Markus Zusak in Oct 21st before the movie is released.
I'm placing this here as a reminder and invitation for others =)

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Thanks Carina!

Are those who are wanting to re-read Catching Fire before the movie wanting to do it in September or October?

message 10: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Thanks Carina, totally forgot to post it in here!

message 11: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Lol, no problem ladies! for once, I was usefult ;)

How about if we read Catching Fire in the first days of November. That's close enough to release of movie, but gives enough time for us slower readers =)

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Wendy, Rachel, Nicole, Jen: we had half arranged a
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson buddy reading for the first week of September.

Do you think we can do it on Sep 2? Is it OK for you, ladies?

Everybody interested on it it's welcomed!

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Grooms (muse1009) | 100 comments That is a series I was planning to start in the near future. May I join in on the group read?

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Of course! You are very welcomed, Amanda.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments That sounds good to me. Thanks for the reminder Sandra!

message 16: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I think I can do the 2nd or around there. It's a super busy week for me but I can probably start it. I'll put it on my scheduler. Also, for anyone that is joining us, we'll go ahead and do it in the Fire and Thorns thread in the Fantasy folder. :)

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Taking into account the time zone difference and that I never get started with one book without having finished the former, 'around there' it's more or less when I'll start it.

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments You're welcome, Rachel. It's really nice to have you, ladies, for yet another promising series.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments I'll start Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta tomorrow. Anyone interested in join me it's welcomed. Sorry for the short notice!

message 20: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Man, I've read it multiple times and I'm STILL tempted. I never even made it through Girl of Fire and Thorns.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh man, I would love to jump in on that one Sandra but I'm just not quite prepared. Hoping to read that one really soon though. Have fun!

message 22: by Sandra (last edited Sep 17, 2013 11:31AM) (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Wendy F wrote: "Man, I've read it multiple times and I'm STILL tempted. I never even made it through Girl of Fire and Thorns."

Hehe Wendy, don't worry if it doesn't fit you now. I'll leave some random thoughts in the series' thread and you can try and join me later with Froi * ;) wink, wink*, if I go on with the series.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Kira wrote: "Oh man, I would love to jump in on that one Sandra but I'm just not quite prepared. Hoping to read that one really soon though. Have fun!"

Thank you Kira. I usually take some break between YA and Fantasy novels so maybe you can catch me up at Froi of the Exiles.

message 24: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Just remember that Finnikin is pretty good, but Froi is a whole new level.

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* (KimtheBookCrier) | 80 comments Wendy F wrote: "Just remember that Finnikin is pretty good, but Froi is a whole new level."

I second this. Quintana was awesome too. Have fun! :)

message 26: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I *might* be up for Froi when you get there.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Hehe, I know, I know. I added Finnikin to my list after seeing everyone love Froi and Quintana so much. I hope I like Finnikin too! Thank you guys!

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Jenny wrote: "I *might* be up for Froi when you get there."

Wonderful, I'll let you know, Jenny.

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1228 comments I'll do Froi when that comes around. I have been wanting to read it but so much else gets in the way. It will give me the excuse to buy it and get on with the series.

message 30: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I might consider Froi as well. I read Finnikin a while ago but never continued on with the series.

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Kira and I are going to start Magic Rises sometime early next week if anyone else wants to jump in.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought my copy and I was happy to see it's one of Amazon's $3.99 books for the month.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Rises-Dan...

message 33: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I do need to read that one.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Join in the fun then Wendy.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments I'll be probably starting by next Tuesday The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson just in case someone want to join me.

message 36: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments Sandra I noticed you are starting book 2 in the Fire and Thorns trilogy. I have already read that but I just how got book 3 and would love a buddy for it! :-)

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Courtney wrote: "Sandra I noticed you are starting book 2 in the Fire and Thorns trilogy. I have already read that but I just how got book 3 and would love a buddy for it! :-)"

Definitely I'll be starting book 2 tomorrow (I'm about to finish a book which I've been struggling with). I'll come back here to let you know when I start book 3. Probably Nov, though.

message 38: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Was this Monday, the 21st supposed to be the day for the buddy read of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ?

message 39: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I think so, yeah. I don't remember the exact date just that it was this month.

message 40: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments That's what I have on my calendar.

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Hi everyone so World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2) by Susan Ee comes out November 19. I'm going to re-read Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee before the release. I was thinking of doing a buddy read starting the week before maybe starting Nov 11

Let me know if you are interesting in joining along.

message 42: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments I'll reread it. It's been so long I only have a vague recollection of the major events in it. Need the refresher.

message 43: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Yay Hillary!

message 44: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I will probably join in.

message 45: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Robin wrote: "Hi everyone so World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2) by Susan Ee comes out November 19. I'm going to re-read Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee before the release. I was thinking of doing a buddy read starting the we..."

Meeeeee! (Because I'll probably forget release day if I don't)

Also joining Book Thief after I finish Gone Girl :)

message 46: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments What's weird is that I think I'm already re-reading Angelfall on the 11th with other friends, so I think I'll have no problem doing a double discussion here too. :p

There is a topic for Book Thief already in the historical fiction folder where we can discuss, so we don't need to make a new topic. Spoiler tags are still going to be used though. Here is the link : https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Sweet Stacia, so you are in as well. I'll send out reminders to everyone that chooses to join in on Nov 9th.

I'm excited!

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninthed) Carina wrote: "Lol, no problem ladies! for once, I was usefult ;)

How about if we read Catching Fire in the first days of November. That's close enough to release of movie, but gives enough time for us slower re..."

Hi Carina,
I'm in for re-reading Catching Fire!
Jen

message 49: by Bailey (new)

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments I was thinking of re-reading Catching Fire too. The movie date came up sort of fast.

message 50: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) I'm looking for a buddy to read Inception (The Reaping Chronicles, #1) by Teal Haviland , Hemlock (Hemlock, #1) by Kathleen Peacock , Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo , Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta , Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes , Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson or Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare .

« previous 1 3 4