What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The White Cat and Other Old French Fairy Tales
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Princess cursed/spell-bound as a white cat, older children's book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cayla (new)

Cayla | 2 comments I remember a man going into this old castle and finding cat-people there. The princess was cursed into the body of a white cat, and her people were also turned into cats. Eventually the spell is broken. It's a children's book that I has when I was very young, possibly published late 80's, early to mid 90's. The title might have been similar to "The Legend of the White Cat", but I can't find any book by that title. The copy I had was shoved into the basement, forgotten, and is now to moldy to use. I want to find the title so I can get another copy. I'm too old for children's books now, but it was a really big part of my childhood.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Cayla--you are never too old for a children's book--especially one that was important to your childhood. I have a few that even after 40+ (never mind how many plus) years I will still go back some times and re-read.

message 3: by Magda Żmijan (new)

Magda Żmijan | 14 comments I agree with Ann. I still enjoy some of the stories from my childhood and I'm addicted to animated movies :D
It's good to have a child inside you :P

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 136 comments Your book remind me a little of Golden Cat, but in this book it is a prince who is turned into a white cat. A girl from the real world goes on a quest with a different cat companion (golden cat) to find the ingredients to make the potion that will turn the prince human again.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Sounds like Madame d'Aulnoy's The White Cat; even if it's not her version it seems to be a retelling.

You can read an English translation of d'Aulnoy's story here.

The White Cat is a retelling that was first published in 1990. I can list more if need be but that seems like a good first possibility.

Also - C.S. Lewis said repeatedly that (paraphrasing) you're never too old for a children's book. I have a bunch of quotes to that effect liked here on GR. :)

message 6: by Cayla (new)

Cayla | 2 comments Snail in Danger (Sid) wrote: "Sounds like Madame d'Aulnoy's The White Cat; even if it's not her version it seems to be a retelling.

You can read an English translation of d'Aulnoy's story here.

The White Cat is a retelling th..."

That's the one! Thank you so much! :)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Glad to help. :)

message 8: by G (new)

G Grilli | 2 comments Cayla wrote: "I remember a man going into this old castle and finding cat-people there. The princess was cursed into the body of a white cat, and her people were also turned into cats. Eventually the spell is br..."

Believe me Cayla my son then aged 7 on year 2 wrote the book by himself and nevbe heard of Madam D'Aulnoy nor did I, he came home with some homework and started telling me lines, I have seen Madam D'Aulnoy and is very long winding. I just helped my child publish it.
Not Bad for a 7 years old, he has a new book wwiting to be published, maybe you should buy the story of a princess and a cat go to Amazon, you will get it also autographed.
Alexander-James Dad and proud!

message 9: by G (new)

G Grilli | 2 comments The Story of a Princess and a CatBelieve me all! My son then aged 7 on year 2 wrote the book by himself and never heard of Madam D'Aulnoy nor did I,
He came home with some homework and started telling me lines, I have seen Madam D'Aulnoy only because of your reviews,is very long and winding. I just helped my child publish it.
Not Bad for a 7 years old; Alexander-James has written another bedtime story, waiting to be published, maybe you should buy the story of a princess and a cat go to Amazon or Ebay you will get it also autographed.
Alexander-James Dad and very proud!