The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Where is all the SFF translated to English?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Israel (new)

Israel | 80 comments Am I missing something or is there very little SFF that has been translated into English? Other than Haruki Murakami, I can not think of any prominent writers in the genre that don't write in English. Any suggestions out there?

message 2: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny Strugatsky brothers and Sergei Lukyanenko: Russian, Stanisław Lem and Andrzej Sapkowski: Polish. If you count classics: Jules Verne: French. Having said that, I agree that there are not enough of SFF works transklated into English.

message 3: by Louise (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:03PM) (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Locus Online has been doing a podcast (Small Blue Planet) the last few months talking to writers and translators from non-English speaking countries. Maybe give that a listen for some names. So far they've covered Israel, France, Brazil, China and Finland.

I get the impression though that there's a lot more translation going on in the short fiction field rather than novels.

message 4: by Nils (new)

Nils Krebber | 178 comments Frank Schätzing and Markus Heitz (both from germany) are the two SF and Fantasy writers that I am aware of who've been translated.

message 5: by Ivi_kiwi (last edited Jun 05, 2013 01:12AM) (new)

Ivi_kiwi | 87 comments In the young adult sff i can think of astrid lindgren (brothers lionheart), otfried preussler (krabat) and michael ende (neverending story).
Furthermore dmitry glukhovsky (. Metro 2033) and walter moers ( 13 1/2 lives of captain bluebear) come to my mind.

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments I would like to see more Wuxia novels translated into English, though the translation could be difficult.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Andreas Eschbach has his book The Carpet Makers translated from German.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Also check out the Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards - http://www.sfftawards.org/

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Weis | 126 comments Kim wrote: "Andreas Eschbach has his book The Carpet Makers translated from German.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Also check out the Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards - http://www..."

Walter Moers has had a bunch of his stuff translated from German to English.