The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.15 - Stacie MI's task: It's Barbeque Time!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 01, 2013 08:28PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
25.15 -- Stacie MI's task: It's Barbeque Time!

It's time to crank up those barbeques! It is summer after all! For this task, you will read books related to foods that can be cooked on a grill. You can either read two books from different options, or one book with 400+ pages that fulfills two options.

Required: Please state the options you chose and provide any other required information when you post. If you chose a cover option, please include the cover in your post.

A. Steak: Whenever I think of steak, I think of eating a fancy dinner in a steakhouse. Read a book with a cover picturing someone in fancy clothing - i.e. suit and tie, ball gown
Examples: Entwined by Heather Dixon Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean Forever and a Day by Jill Shalvis

B. Hamburger: Seeing as hamburgers are generally eaten sandwiched in a bun, read a book that is "sandwiched" in a series. This means a book must come before it and at least one published book needs to come after it. The book must be identified as part of a series (series name, #) on Goodreads.

C. Hot Dogs: Read a book where the word "hot" or "dog" appears intact in a word in the title/subtitle. Plurals, possessives, and variations all work as long as the selected word is intact.
Examples: Investigating the Hottie, Cold Shot to the Heart, The Dust of 100 Dogs

D. Chicken: Read a book that you've been too "chicken" to read. Maybe the page length intimidates you. Maybe you worry that it won't live up to the hype it's received. Maybe you're afraid that it'll be a disappointment. Required: Let us know why you've been chicken.

E. Corn on the Cob: Due to it's vivid yellow color, read a book with a predominately yellow cover. Keep in mind that at least 50% of the cover must be yellow! Examples:
Watchmen by Alan Moore Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) by Sara Shepard Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4) by Joanne Fluke A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3) by Alan Bradley

F. Pizza: I know what you're thinking! Grilled Pizza? True, it's unconventional and not the norm, but it is delicious! Read a book that would be unconventional for you to read - a genre that you don't normally reach for. Personally, I don't read a whole lot of nonfiction, so I could read a nonfiction book to fulfill this option.

Note: Children's books 100+ pages may be used for this task.
Note: Genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” may be used for this task.

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Reserved

message 3: by Stacie (new)

message 4: by Stacie (new)

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jayebee) | 252 comments Could I please have your approval for Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach for options C & E, 'hot' found in 'hotel' & yellow cover?

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments Any page minimum on the 1 book option?

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Dee wrote: "Any page minimum on the 1 book option?"

Whoops. That one slipped through. Working out the minimum page numbers with Stacie.... Stand by......

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments Nuts - shouldn't have said anything ;)

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Jen wrote: "Could I please have your approval for Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach for options C & E, 'hot' found in 'hotel' & yellow cover?"

Unfortunately there is going to be a requirement that in order to do the one book option, the book needs to be at least 400 pages in length. So this book won't worth for the one book option, sorry!

message 11: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dee wrote: "Nuts - shouldn't have said anything ;)"

Aw Dee, you ruined it! :)

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Stacie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Nuts - shouldn't have said anything ;)"

Aw Dee, you ruined it! :)"

Nah, we woulda caught it eventually. At least this way you know up front! ;-)

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will this one work for A. and E.-- (and it's 400+ pages)
- yellow and fancy dress-

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Will this one work for A. and E.-- (and it's 400+ pages)

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella"

That will work!

message 15: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this work for A Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

message 16: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Stacie wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Will this one work for A. and E.-- (and it's 400+ pages)

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella"

That will work!"

SUPER-- Thank you.

message 17: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments JennRenee wrote: "will this work for A Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers"

Sure will!

message 18: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Would this work for A. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson and D (all the books I've read so far by Sanderson ended up on my keeper shelf. Will I love this one too?)

message 19: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 01, 2013 11:18PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments I am considering His at Night by Sherry Thomas , works for options A and E and has 417 pages

message 20: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2079 comments I am considering Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin for option E -- yellow enough? Thanks!

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments I'm thinking of reading Mexico - Sebastian Rook as it's book 3 in a series for Option B and On a Hot August Afternoon - Bridget Straub for Option C?

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments JennRenee wrote: "will this work for A Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers"

I LOVED this book!!

message 23: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Vi wrote: "Would this work for A. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson and D (all the books I've read so far by Sanderson ended up on my keeper shelf. Will I love this one too?)"

As long as you actually have been too chicken to read it, yes it will work.

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I am considering His at Night by Sherry Thomas, works for options A and E and has 417 pages"

That will work.

message 25: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Deedee wrote: "I am considering Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin for option E -- yellow enough? Thanks!"

That will work, just let the moderators know that I approved it.

message 26: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "I'm thinking of reading Mexico - Sebastian Rook as it's book 3 in a series for Option B and On a Hot August Afternoon - Bridget Straub for Option C?"

Those will both work!

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Just wanted to see if this works for option A- fancy clothing as you can't see much clothing other than the gloves but they suggest she is dressed fancy
Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy #2) by Julia London

message 28: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Sam wrote: "Just wanted to see if this works for option A- fancy clothing as you can't see much clothing other than the gloves but they suggest she is dressed fancy
Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy #2) by Julia London"

I'd say with that cover, no, because you can't see the fancy clothing. It looks like there are other covers for that same book that would work, so if you could find one of those, I'd say yes. If you can't use it here, I think you could definitely use it for 25.16.

message 29: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments Is a mustard yellow okay? Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter fits options C & E, and I have been looking for a task for this baby!

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Bec wrote: "Is a mustard yellow okay? Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter fits options C & E, and I have been looking for a task for this baby!"

Yes, that looks yellow to me

message 31: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments Sexcellent. Thanks heaps. :)

message 32: by Andy (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3440 comments Could I use Seventy-Seven Clocks: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mysteryfor the one book option, using B, it is #3 in a series sandwiched between #2 The Water Room and #4 Ten Second Staircase Then use option D, chicken? This book is 538 pages in length, the longest in the series so I keep putting it off. This would be the ideal place to use it.

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Stacie wrote: "Sam wrote: "Just wanted to see if this works for option A- fancy clothing as you can't see much clothing other than the gloves but they suggest she is dressed fancy
Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy #2) by Julia London"..."

Well I have it on my kindle which is actually this cover Beauty Queen so I'm guessing that one is ok.Thanks

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Roman Is this yellow enough for option e?
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

message 35: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Andy wrote: "Could I use Seventy-Seven Clocks: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mysteryfor the one book option, using B, it is #3 in a series sandwiched between #2 The Water Room and #4 Ten Second Staircase Then use opti..."

Sounds like that will work!

message 36: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Karen wrote: "Is this yellow enough for option e?
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence"

Yes, that will work

message 37: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Thanks, Stacie!

Stacie wrote: "Vi wrote: "Would this work for A. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson and D (all the books I've read so far by Sanderson ended up on my keeper shelf. Will I love this one too?)"

As long as you actually..."

message 38: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments I would like to read this Book for option A.

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10) by Simon R. Green

Is Mr Walker dressed fancy enough?

message 39: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Fandury wrote: "I would like to read this Book for option A.

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10) by Simon R. Green

Is Mr Walker dressed fancy enough?"

Looks fancy to me!

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Yellow enough? Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

message 41: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Cindy wrote: "Yellow enough? Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese"

It's right on the cusp, but I'll allow it.

message 42: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3440 comments Stacie wrote: "Andy wrote: "Could I use Seventy-Seven Clocks: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mysteryfor the one book option, using B, it is #3 in a series sandwiched between #2 The Water Room and #4 Ten Second Staircase ..."

Thanks, Stacie

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1182 comments Will this work for a yellow cover: The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1) by Steven James

message 44: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Amy wrote: "Will this work for a yellow cover: The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1) by Steven James"

Yes

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments Lingerie Wars (Invertary, book one) by Janet Elizabeth Henderson - i'm guessing not yellow enough right? (either way, it was worth a try)

message 46: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dee wrote: "Lingerie Wars (Invertary, book one) by Janet Elizabeth Henderson - i'm guessing not yellow enough right? (either way, it was worth a try)"

Sorry, but you're right! Not yellow enough

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments Worth a try - I'll find somewhere else to put it

message 48: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments A White Rose by Bekah Ferguson ?

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "A White Rose by Bekah Ferguson?"

For A? Yes.

message 50: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Is this yellow enough:

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin

« previous 1