Start by marking “Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)” as Want to Read:
Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)

Grip of the Shadow Plague

(Fablehaven #3)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  77,376 ratings  ·  3,141 reviews
Strange things are afoot at Fablehaven. Someone or something has released a plague that transforms beings of light into creatures of darkness. Seth discovers the problem in its infancy, but as the infectious disease spreads, it becomes clear that the preserve cannot hold out for long.

In dire need of help, the Sorensons question where to turn. The Sphinx has always given so
Published April 21st 2008 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2008)

·  77,376 ratings  ·  3,141 reviews

Start your review of Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3), Brandon Mull

Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague is the third novel in the Fablehaven fantasy series written by Brandon Mull. The book was released on April 21, 2008.

This book picks up where "Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star" leaves off, during the same summer of the second year at Fablehaven. Sometime throughout the Summer, Kendra is requested by the Captain of 'The Knights Of Dawn' that she should be recruited, and for the first time, Kendra an
Lindsey Rey
Everyone needs to read this series! LOVED THIS ONE!
George Jankovic
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brandon Mull developed the world of this awesome series so much more in this book. I really love how the species were described, each with different characters traits. The centaurs are proud and conceited. The fairies crave attention, always check their looks and like to gossip. The satyrs are playful and love girls (dryads). The naiads disdain all the land-based creatures, but their favorite pastime is drowning humans. Etc etc.

One great thing in this book is how much more we got into character
Kimberley doruyter
just what every fatasy book needs ,magical plague and dragons.
Kimberley doruyter
grandma is kinda mean, anybody else notice that?
Kells Next Read
How is it even possible for this storyline to get better with each new book, ( but yet it does )

Simply Brilliant....Book 4, Here I Come!!!
Aaron Vincent
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally Posted on Guy Gone Geek

The middle part of fantasy series are always the trickiest. The world is already established in the first book(s) and information about the series-long plot are held back for the finale. Middle part books are always the one that is the most forgettable and there are cases when these books are just fodders. Such is the case in Michael Scott’s Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel and even Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson. I love both of these series but if you ask
Dawn
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Fablehaven series, and this third one was very good. I like Mull's creativity and energy. I appreciate his ongoing discussion of the nature of good and evil, the power of our choices, and in this one, the consequences of choosing to believe or not. I liked the way this book expanded the characters and locations of the story. And Patton Burgess is awesome! :)

I read this book first alone, but then I reread it aloud with my husband. In reading aloud, we discovered an annoying flaw. Mul
Henry Lin
Very interesting theme. It has the traditional good vs. evil but adds twists to it. This theme was particularly apparent in the first two books and is even explicitly stated by Grandpa Sorenson: The creatures of Fablehaven are neither good nor evil. They are only categorized into lightness and darkness. For example, Naiads drown people when they come near, but they are creatures of light.
In this book, there's a new variable: the shadow plague. This plague turns creatures of light into creatures
John Conrad
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Audrey
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, I’d forgotten a LOT of this book. As the third book in the series, it is definitely necessary to read them in order.

It’s a pretty long book for MG, but a lot happens, so it never drags. It’s very creative, especially where the booby traps come in. There’s lots of action and danger and suspense, including more deaths than seen previously. And I only wanted to strangle Seth about half the time instead of all the time. He’s starting to learn. There are also quite a few magical creatures seen,
Rachel
2 stars.

That was rather boring and too long. But, I still have faith in this series so I'll keep going.
Sam
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary ♥
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
5/5 stars

When your only option is to jump, you jump and try to make it work.

This felt like such a huge journey, even if the book was not that big, something that makes me super excited for the rest of the books. The reason for this is because through the pages of Grip of the Shadow Plague, I met a lot of new characters and creatures, learned more information about the old ones and dove deeper into the world of Fablehaven. Things like the Knights of Dawn and Patton Burgess got explained, and I
C.P. Cabaniss
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have fallen in love with this series. When I first read Fablehaven two years ago, I remember liking but not loving it. Both The Rise of the Evening Star and Grip of the Shadow Plague have jumped more into the love category.

The characters are excellent. Both Kendra and Seth have developed a lot over the course of the series and it is nice to see this development. Their relationship is realistic, showing the positive and negative sides of having a sibling.

This installment takes us to new locat
James
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars and probably my favorite of the series so far. Most of my comments about the previous book apply. I think my only real complaint would be wanting more emotional connection to secondary character but that too is coming along as the series progresses. The expanded worldbuilding is lovely in this one!
Donna
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Fablehaven series. So far the 2nd one was my favorite. I liked the addition of dragons in this one, but I had a hard time getting behind 'the plague' idea. The effects, though, that this had on the magical creatures was interesting. The brother/sister duo was split up in this one, taking the reader to separate story lines. I liked Kendra's journey a little more. That is often the case when there are dual stories. So 3 stars.
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this series!!!♥️♥️♥️

For all adventurers, young or old, this one is a must!
Thomas
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adult and up
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Seth is growing up and making better decisions. Brandon has fallen into a writer's trap of alternating story lines between two primary characters. And finally, the series became so-so.

All that said, Grip of the Shadow Plague was another good read from the Fablehaven series for young adult readers and should keep their interest. Both my wife and I agree that this will start to appeal more to boys with Seth's new-found "wisdom" (and I use quotes because he isn't there yet, but well on his way).

If
rachel ☾
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy

When you have a state-wide blackout, there isn’t much more you can do than grab a book… and why not make it an old favourite that is in desperate need of a reread? Well, that’s what I decide to do last night anyway and I’m so glad I did. This series just gives me life. God, it’s honestly the most well-written middle grade series I have ever laid my hands on! If you were iffy about the first book in the series, I can promise that it gets better and better with each book. The characters a
Garrett
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think I like this book the best so far out of the series. It felt more complete and whole somehow. I assume it is at least partly because Brandon is becoming a better writer. But I think it also has to do with an improved plot structure and more intense, realistic conflict.

Setting: Still mostly at Fablehaven, but with explorations of even more of the area. Also, Kendra does get to go to a meeting of a secret society (held in a house like a castle) and then to another preserve in Arizona. So, f
Luann
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a book I will like more in the future as I think back on it than I do right now having just finished it. The storyline was fine, but the execution of it fell flat for me. I was never completely drawn into the story until about the last hundred pages. Most of this was due to the splitting of the storyline with Kendra on a mission at Lost Mesa in Arizona while Seth stayed at Fablehaven and had adventures there. It felt very choppy as we jumped back and forth between the two storylines. May ...more
Patrick
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Wow! This series is on a roll. I was on the waiting list for about 4 months for this one. This is one of my favorite 3 or 4 young adult series. It's right up there with Harry Potter, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, and...not much else up this high. Maybe Gregor the Overlander...

The characters are believable, there's always action but it is fresh each time, the plot twists and suspense are awesome, it's incredibly creative--I just love this series! The story slowly expands each book in a neat way. It sta
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Grip of the Shadow Plague took a turn toward the darkness! A shadow plague is taking over Fablehaven and turning the light creatures into dark creatures. YES! Only it wasn't dark enough for my sick and twisted soul. Give me all of the darkness!

I'm still really enjoying this series. The kids are evolving and becoming much more independent characters. I'm a little sad by this because I enjoyed the presence of their grandparents in this series. Parents always disappear in MG/YA books. I understand
Seno
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book 3 is seriously an adventure from the first page to the last. Seth really became a major player in this book. Hate him first and adore him now.

And why is this Fablehaven series so perfect for me especially?

I love how Brandon Mull adds more mysteries then expand answers to previously vague issues that mentioned in the previous two books then introduce interesting new characters and continuing to develop previous ones. Just Perfect!
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The entertaining adventure continues, including many mystical creatures and magical places. Additional creatures and places have been added to further lure you in.

Of course, there was a good verses evil battle to overcome.

I enjoyed it very much and would recommend to teens and adults alike!
Bailee
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is complete fantasy!!! I love itto death! If you like faeries, centaurs, or satyrs, you should definetly read!!!
Krista
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slow at first, however, the book quickly picks up. My kids and I enjoyed reading this! Highly recommended series! Onto book number 4
Kenny
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every next book

of this series the books are geting more and more  facinating.

Brandon Mull is a great writer. He's one of my favourite writers, and Fablehaven is so interesting that you know that you want to read whole series even if you are still not finished with  current book.

The adventures of main characters are amazing. New magic creatures, objects, demons and reserves are awesome too. And the Brandon Dorman's illustrations are super!

When you are reading this book, it feels like
AndaL_E2

• Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • Ptaki dziwaki
  • Janitors (Janitors, #1)
  • Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra (Leven Thumps, #4)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • Island of Legends (Unwanteds, #4)
  • Island of Graves (Unwanteds, #6)
  • Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps, #1)
  • Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • Island of Dragons (Unwanteds, #7)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder (Leven Thumps, #5)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more

Fablehaven (5 books)
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)