What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Saturday, the Twelfth of October
This topic is about Saturday, the Twelfth of October
SOLVED: Children's/YA > YA book from late 1980's - girl gets transported through a boulder in the park to a jungle tribe civilization. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabelle (last edited Jun 10, 2013 09:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isabelle (iziezi) | 8 comments I read this book back in 1986 or 1987, found it in my school library. There is a girl who feels her life is unfair or that her parents are being unfair, so she gets mad and runs to the park. She curls up behind a boulder, crying, and suddenly she is transported to a jungle somewhere. There is a tribe of people living there, and they try to welcome her in to their group, but she doesn't trust them. They only wear waist thongs, and she doesn't want to take off her clothes. Eventually she starts to soften and warm up to them, and begins to accept living with them. Her menstrual cycle finally starting while she's there is significant in the book. I think she lives with them for months, maybe an entire year? (view spoiler)

message 3: by Pamela (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1204 comments Is it Saturday, the Twelfth of October by (I think) Norma Fox Mazer?

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (med0ra) | 434 comments Pamela wrote: "Is it Saturday, the Twelfth of October by (I think) Norma Fox Mazer?"
Exactly what I think too and had already posted the link. : )

Cheryl  (cherylllr) For the kind of link that is actually easier to post, and also shows up as a link on the right side of this page ->, you can use the add book/author feature right at the top of the comment box. :)

Saturday, the Twelfth of October

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (med0ra) | 434 comments Yes Cheryl that's how I usually do it. Don't remember why I did it the other way this time.

Isabelle (iziezi) | 8 comments Hi Lisa, Pamela, and Cheryl:

Yes, that is it! Thank you so much! =D

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Antosh | 3 comments Can ya'll tell me if at the end, the protagonist has a mysterious disease that doctors don't recognize? I seem to remember a bit with a similar narrative (youth unexpectedly travels back in time to caveperson times) and I was wondering if it was this one.

I seem to remember the protagonist being a male in it though, and I remember he falls in love and starts a relationship with a tribe person. I remember him falling into a pit of bones. I doubt it's this book. if anyone can help out.

message 9: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (med0ra) | 434 comments Matthew wrote: "Can ya'll tell me if at the end, the protagonist has a mysterious disease that doctors don't recognize? I seem to remember a bit with a similar narrative (youth unexpectedly travels back in time ..."

Rocco Maybe this is the book you are thinking of.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Antosh | 3 comments OMG Lisa, thank you so much, I think that might be it. I remember reading it in middle school and it's really stuck with me.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (med0ra) | 434 comments Matthew wrote: "OMG Lisa, thank you so much, I think that might be it. I remember reading it in middle school and it's really stuck with me."
Its also known as A Time of Darkness.