Audiobooks discussion

Book Talk > What do you do while listening to audiobooks?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 636 (636 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 49 comments I'm amazed when I hear people can concentrate and shop while listening to audiobooks? How do people do that. I have found that listening to audiobooks has been a great boost/incentive for long walks/exercise and I also will listen while driving.

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5042 comments I eat my meals, do laundry, light cleaning,walk on the treadmill, even soak in the tub. But I can't do anything that requires real thought--no shopping, re-arranging closets, typing a post on this thread.... But I sometimes find that especially gripping books bring me to a complete standstill. I've been known to stand with the same towel in a partially folded condition as I listen, mesmerized, for long periods of time. If I'm lucky, that part of the audiobook comes to an end soon so I won't end up standing there for hours on end! ;)

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3446 comments I try to only listen while multi-tasking. I listen while driving, walking for exercise, swimming laps, folding laundry, doing light cleaning, wrapping presents, and doing low-brain activities at work (cleaning out my email inbox, making copies, etc.). Like Jeanie, if I need to concentrate or make decisions (like when I'm shopping) I can't listen. Amazing how many books I can squeeze in while multi-tasking in the course of a week!

message 4: by Verena (new)

Verena (pidgeon92) | 61 comments Laundry, ironing, prepping meals, driving, getting dressed, polishing my nails, trying to fall asleep, etc. I can't listen when doing things like shopping or surfing the net, I get distracted and lose my place.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been known to be involved in a heated "discussion" on GR while still fully engaged with an audiobook.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

But my concentration is definitely not what it was when I was in law school.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (last edited May 27, 2013 02:59PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 254 comments Driving, shopping, working (only when I'm sorting stuff or something else mundane, or scanning mail), cleaning, getting ready in the morning, before/after evening shower, surfing net without having to concentrate and read anything. This gives me quite a lot of time to do my listening. I agree with Kristie - low brain activities, although driving shouldn't be a low brain activity :)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 1416 comments I never listen to the radio in my truck anymore, if I'm driving an audiobook is playing. A typical day at work goes like this - listen, listen, pause for counting, listen, listen, pause for reading, repeat...

message 9: by David Wilson (new)

David Wilson | 90 comments Driving and running. Those are really the only times I have. If I'm awake, I'm either working my day job, or Crossroad press, and if I'm going to read during that period it has to be things we're publishing.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (LovingLifeAgain) Audiobook are the perfect way to relax and get things done around the house.

I spend A LOT of time cooking everything from scratch due to food allergies. Listening to a book really helps.

I also like to listen to them while cleaning around the house and being stuck in rush hour traffic.

message 11: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5042 comments And I forgot to mention... waiting. While I'm at work waiting for my next scheduled appointment, waiting before I go out, waiting until time for a meeting to begin, waiting at a doctor's office.... I no longer begrudge my waiting times.

message 12: by Pete (new)

Pete (petetall) Audiobooks are my constant companions during the 2.5 to 3 hour workouts at the gym. Weight lifting to improve muscular endurance and strongman high-intensity exercises along with aerobic bicycling and stair steppers can be stressful sometimes when listening to PNR and adult books.

Blushing doesn’t suit me either.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, yes, Jeanie, I've become a MUCH more patient person (though for some reason my family does not agree :P)

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1775 comments mostly driving - sometimes i'll throw one on at the gym - but I find that I don't get as good of a workout if I as listening because I can't focus on form as much as I need to - normally, its just me and my head-space at the gym

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1792 comments Driving, showering (drives my hubby crazy because I have to blare it), cleaning, cooking, getting ready in the morning, waiting for appointments. I can not listen while on the computer - I space it out right away.

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 1794 comments I listen while I'm driving. I'm looking forward to a 7 hour drive next weekend and the 7 hour return trip the following weekend.

After I finish work for the day, I get comfy on the couch and listen while I play pencil puzzles.

message 17: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (ahsatan82) | 19 comments I listen while driving, ironing, at my desk job since most is so routine but I find I get distracted and need to pause for reading instructions or trying to figure out things on a new project. I listened once in the treadmill so I think I could do that again. And one listened instead of watching TV just relaxing and that got my boyfriend really into the book (I should do that more often lol).

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (KimMR) | 83 comments I always listen when I'm driving, on public transport, at the gym and out walking. I sometimes listen while I'm cooking, although I mostly listen to the radio when I'm in the kitchen. I also listen if I wake up during the night and can't go back to sleep, which thankfully doesn't happen often. This is the reason I sleep with the iPod on my bedside table and religiously note where I'm up to in the book before I go to bed every night.

message 19: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) | 740 comments I listen in the morning while I read all the posts here and look for books to add to the library :)

Usually 4 - 6 hours. I have gotten better at "listening" and not having to rewind.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a chronic rewinder. I would drive you all crazy! Sometimes I didn't catch something (I'm profoundly deaf in my right ear). Or else I want to savour a particularly delicious segment of dialogue. Or I've zoned out or been interrupted.

However, every narrator I've ever had the pleasure of listening to should know that every word they said has been THOROUGHLY embraced, dissected and appreciated!

message 21: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4377 comments Like Heidi, I've been known to listen in the shower, though not often. I take a lot of public transportation, and sometimes listen at restaurants, instead of a print book, though not until after placing my order. Shopping ... depends on what I'm getting -- I'd listen at the Post Office if there were a particularly long line. I've been known to listen while posting here, but only with a relatively mindless book.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1792 comments Jennifer wrote: "I am a chronic rewinder. I would drive you all crazy! Sometimes I didn't catch something (I'm profoundly deaf in my right ear). Or else I want to savour a particularly delicious segment of dialo..."

hahahaha - I would drive myself crazy if I listened to every word. I space out a lot while I listen and am just glad to be able to follow along.

message 23: by Neil (new)

Neil Buchanan (NeilJohnBuchanan) | 4 comments Ed wrote: "I'm amazed when I hear people can concentrate and shop while listening to audiobooks? How do people do that. I have found that listening to audiobooks has been a great boost/incentive for long wa..."

Ah, I've done this. It's just as good as listening to music, makes the mundane everyday tasks interesting.

message 24: by Neil (new)

Neil Buchanan (NeilJohnBuchanan) | 4 comments Lots of different things. When jogging or driving being the two main ones, but I also like to listen to them when I've got the house to myself. Less noise makes for better enjoyment. Headphones obviously.

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed | 49 comments Good to hear that you can listen Andes some of the sentences. :)

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (Poweki) | 149 comments Driving (if I'm on my own), on public transport, doing laundry, walking, walking my dog, shopping, during my lunch hour, before I go to bed, while I'm cooking, cleaning or vacuuming, sometimes in the shower (unless it's a book I don't want my 5 year-old son to accidentally hear), gardening, waiting and generally while doing any other thing if I can get away with listening to a book.

Still, I only average about 2-3 hours a day.

message 27: by Neil (new)

Neil Buchanan (NeilJohnBuchanan) | 4 comments Kimberly wrote: "Driving (if I'm on my own), on public transport, doing laundry, walking, walking my dog, shopping, during my lunch hour, before I go to bed, while I'm cooking, cleaning or vacuuming, sometimes in t..."

That feels like a lot, I barely manage a hour.

message 28: by HJ (new)

HJ Driving is my main time for listening, and knitting something straightforward - I knit more than I would otherwise because I can listen to a book without sitting doing nothing! That makes me realise that I rarely just listen - as Kristie said, I only listen when I'm multi-tasking. If I'm on my own I'll listen while I cook and do kitchen clearing, and other noise-less housework (I prefer not to use headphones if possible).

I do tend to hoard my audiobooks (they're more expensive than other books) and I think that's one reason why I don't merely listen to them. It feels like a waste - if I'm not doing anything else I could just as well be actually reading.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen (Rhyta) | 159 comments I agree with most of the posters, low brain activities are best. Most of the time I listen while doing the cleaning, mopping the basement & litter box cleaning. I can't listen when I try to do any paper work, too distracting.
As for rewinding, I do that once in a while if I zone out or something else distracts me. Mending is nice to do and I can sit down and enjoy the book.

message 30: by Jolie (new)

Jolie (JolieGirl) | 12 comments I swear that if not for audiobooks, my housework would never get done. I also love crafting (creating dollhouse minis) while listening to a good book!

❉⊰Gayle⊱❉ (ZiaStar) | 9 comments I listen while driving, cleaning, walking on the treadmill. I also listen while I quilt, knit, crafting and watching the news. If I listen while I play computer games, I don't feel so guilty of wasting my time.

message 32: by Anne (new)

Anne Emerick (Anne_Emerick) | 2 comments I used to listen almost exclusively while driving, but now I try to remember to grab my iPhone and listen whenever I am walking the dogs. Keeps me from being so impatient, "Hurry up and pick a spot and go!"

I will occasionally listen while doing household chores, but only if I'm the only one in the house.

Julie, you cracked me up with your comment, "I swear that if not for audiobooks, my housework would never get done." -- so funny and probably why mine isn't done!

message 33: by Ed (new)

Ed | 49 comments I agree...putting some headphones on with the iphone expands the listening opportunities!

message 34: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Clean house, knitting or most of the time I'm in the car driving.

message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5042 comments Marilyn wrote: "Clean house, knitting or most of the time I'm in the car driving."

Welcome Marilyn!

message 36: by Fran (new)

Fran (Frabrenner) | 2 comments My daily walk affords the opportunity to "listen" to a great book. I find the narrator/reader brings to life the prose. I always preview an audiobook to see if the voice is pleasing. Some readers are a liability to the story and I wonder how the publisher gave them the job.
Also, if the book is particularly absorbing my walk time increases, so it's a win-win for fitness and reading.

message 37: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5042 comments Fran wrote: "My daily walk affords the opportunity to "listen" to a great book. I find the narrator/reader brings to life the prose. I always preview an audiobook to see if the voice is pleasing. Some readers a..."

Welcome! We audiobook readers must be above average in household cleanliness and/or personal fitness! ;P

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2013 05:26PM) (new)

Ahem...woefully deficient in both categories *hangs head in shame*

message 39: by Denice (new)

Denice (dmt60) I keep a couple books on my iPhone, one for things like shopping, checking email etc. The second is one requiring more attention, listen to that while cleaning or gardening.

message 40: by Samyann (new)

Samyann | 76 comments I've had an audiobook going at all times from about 1999. Usually listen while cooking, or I turn on the iPad when I go to bed and listen for an hour or so. Walking, always have the iPhone on, when sitting on an airplane, always.

message 41: by Suzie (new)

Suzie (suziespoon) I love to listen whilst doing housework, driving, shopping etc. can't do it with jobs I have to think about though and if I sit still long enough whilst listening I fall asleep. But audio books have definitely rocked my world. Nothing like spending all day reading and still being able to get chores done

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber | 9 comments I am new to audiobooks and so far I like to listen while driving, doing dishes, walking or running and while I am getting ready in the morning. I listen occasionally in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. I agree with the others when they say they can only listen during "low-brain" activities. I am excited to start listening on airplane travel. It seems like it would be a great way to pass the time and easier than reading a book.

message 43: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 399 comments I find planes challenging because of engine noise, but I have certain books that I don't mind falling asleep to or books that I don't have to have blasting in my ears so much to hear them, so it works ok.

I like listening while I'm walking the dog. I don't get so frustrated when she takes forever to do her business and I enjoy the walk more.

message 44: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (BeirutWedding) | 96 comments Like a lot of people it seems, while driving and cleaning. Unexpectedly like several people, I also fall asleep a lot to audiobooks. They quiet all the other voices in my head.

message 45: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 475 comments From Bobby, "I also fall asleep a lot to audiobooks. They quiet all the other voices in my head."

Well put. Otherwise I'm worrying about the past or present problems.

message 46: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 1189 comments Like most other posts, driving, light chores, gardening, walking and the treadmill. However! I happily iron any clothes for the family as a result of audiobooks. Before audiobooks I was only friendly with the iron on a personal as needed basis. My ironing skills did not extend beyond my wardrobe. Now the whole family is looking quite crisp! Who would have thought.

message 47: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (BeirutWedding) | 96 comments Fran wrote: "Like most other posts, driving, light chores, gardening, walking and the treadmill. However! I happily iron any clothes for the family as a result of audiobooks. Before audiobooks I was only frie..."

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

message 48: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1012 comments I'm looking forward to finishing up Under the Dome on my drive to New York and Max Barry's new book, Lexicon on the return trip. I used to dread long car trips but no longer!

message 49: by Lára (new)

Lára  Arnarsdóttir Lay in the bed
English is not my native and, while I can listen to the audiobook while I´m doing other things and still understand it, I prefer only listening - before going to sleep - for it´s more enjoyable (than taking out trash and listening, for example)

message 50: by .Sharon (new)

.Sharon (passmorebooks) | 4 comments Walking to and from various places of work, and fortunate for me as I am a cleaner I don't have to take the earphones out it makes my working day pass with ease, back at home I revert to paper/hardback or kindle!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13