Authors & Reviewers discussion

Welcome! [Getting Started] > Say Hello! [Introductions]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,102 (1102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

message 1: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (last edited Apr 12, 2014 05:00PM) (new)

Jackie Fire and Ice Book Reviews (blog) (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 589 comments Mod
Hi my name is Jackie, and I am the creater of A&R. I love reading books, and I also love reviewing them as well. I hope this group will help authors and readers connect, so our authors will be heard.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (MarisaOldham) | 554 comments Mod
Hi Jackie. I recently started writing, Sep 12' and have two self published novels. I won't lie, they have typos but I'm trying to catch them all. I'd love for anyone to read and give me feedback :)

message 3: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

Jackie Fire and Ice Book Reviews (blog) (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 589 comments Mod
Hi Marisa, congrats on your book, I hope you find some reviewers. I am hoping this group will grow, but for now we are really small. And welcome to the group!

message 4: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Voss (ARVOSS) | 3 comments Hello Jackie and thank you for the invite. Also thank you for reading our book and your wonderful review. I'd be more than happy to participate in anyway you wish me too.

message 5: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

thanks, and welcome!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- yet, but I hope to be one day.

message 7: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

hi Michelle, reviewing is all about your thoughts on a book. Just take it slow, and then you'll be a pro before you know it!

message 8: by R. (new)

R. Archie (rlynn) | 31 comments Hi I'm R.Lynn. I'm self published with two ebooks out to date and the novels I write are Romance. I'm glad to be a part of this group.

message 9: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

hi R.Lynn, welcome to the group, glad to have you!

message 10: by R. (new)

R. Archie (rlynn) | 31 comments R Lynn wrote: "Hi I'm R.Lynn. I'm self published with two ebooks out i write Romance. I'm glad to be a part this group."

message 11: by R. (new)

R. Archie (rlynn) | 31 comments Thanks Jackie.

message 12: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

No problem

message 13: by Marisa (new)

✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- yet, but I hope to be one day."

Hi Michelle. What kind of books do you typically read?

One thing I've noticed about reviews that I really hate, is when the reviewer gives the synopsis of the book...ummm it's already there. LOL

I'm not the best reviewer either, I just say how I feel and that's good enough for me.

Marisa

message 14: by Marisa (new)

Jackie wrote: "hi Michelle, reviewing is all about your thoughts on a book. Just take it slow, and then you'll be a pro before you know it!"

I agree Jackie!

message 15: by Marisa (new)

R Lynn wrote: "R Lynn wrote: "Hi I'm R.Lynn. I'm self published with two ebooks out i write Romance. I'm glad to be a part this group.""

Hi Lynn. Me too! LOL Well Romance/Eortica (I guess) What classifies a book as erotica?

Marisa

message 16: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

Heavily sexual content

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Well, it's not really. There are like maybe 5 scenes? To me it's more of a love story, and to me you needs sex w/ love unless you are writing for kids/teens, which I don't.

message 18: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

Then it will be considered as a romance.

message 19: by Marisa (new)

Even if they are graphic? Well what I deem graphic, I'm no Silvia Day but they do get kinda dirty LOL

message 20: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

I have read some romance books that are kind of graphic, but it all depends on how graphic your books are. I don't know, is there someone out there who knows the exact definition of Erotica? not m/m or f/f, Where does the line for erotica Start, and romance finishes? If you know please help LOL

message 21: by Marisa (new)

Jackie wrote: "I have read some romance books that are kind of graphic, but it all depends on how graphic your books are. I don't know, is there someone out there who knows the exact definition of Erotica? not m/..."

There is no m/m or f/f in my books. ;)

message 22: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

lol okay, Is your book an ARC book?

message 23: by Marisa (new)

Hmmm I feel stupid again, what's ARC?

message 24: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

Advanced readers copy, if it is not, then I will have to transfer it to the correct topic. That is why I am asking.

message 25: by Marisa (new)

No, it's been out for a while. I'm new to all this. Sorry.

message 26: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

That's okay, I will transfer the information. Also all comments in this topic that are not related to introducing your self, will now be moved into the chat zone.

message 27: by R. (last edited May 30, 2013 07:34AM) (new)

R. Archie (rlynn) | 31 comments Marisa wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- yet, but I hope to be one day."

H..."

Hi Marisa:-) Yes, you're not the only one, I've noticed the same, go figure, LOL. As far as reviewing, and believe me I'm no pro but I just give it from my perspective and try to be fair.

message 28: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Marlow (gloriamarlow) Hello, I have four books published by small presses, with the fifth coming out this year. They are all romantic suspense and I love to hear what people think about them.

message 29: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

Hi Gloria, welcome to the group, glad to have you!

message 30: by Marisa (new)

Hi Gloria. Welcome. What are the names of your books?

message 31: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Madore | 5 comments Hi Jackie, thanks for the invite to join the group and thank you also for the great review you gave my novel. I rarely get reading time, being deep in the editing process of two series but will keep up with the news and jump in when I can.

All the best,
JL Madore
Author of Blaze Ignites

message 32: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (last edited Apr 12, 2014 05:02PM) (new)

hi Welcome to the group, and you're welcome I enjoyed reading your book!

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Marlow (gloriamarlow) Marisa, my books are Sweet Sacrifices, Shades of Silence, Flowers for Megan and The Butterfly Game.

message 34: by Marisa (new)

Gloria wrote: "Marisa, my books are Sweet Sacrifices, Shades of Silence, Flowers for Megan and The Butterfly Game."

Hi Gloria,
What is small presses?

Marisa

message 35: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Stewart (authorjmstewart) Hi! I hope I'm doing this right. :) I'm Joanne, and I write contemporary romance. I write sweet and heartwarming, with fully described love scenes, but nothing graphic or vulgar. I've got three books published right now with small presses, and I'm hoping to boost reviews for my latest, Her Knight in Black Leather. Anyway, I think I'm rambling now. lol Thanks for letting me join. :)

message 36: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

hi Joanne, Welcome to the group, Thanks for joining!

message 37: by Marisa (new)

Hi Joanne! Welcome to the group! I'd be happy to get some reviews your way. What formats is you book available? I have my Nook or you can email me a PDF to FallingAuthor@aol.com. Just let me know where you need the reviews.

message 38: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Stewart (authorjmstewart) Marisa wrote: "Hi Joanne! Welcome to the group! I'd be happy to get some reviews your way. What formats is you book available? I have my Nook or you can email me a PDF to FallingAuthor@aol.com. Just let me know w..."

Hi Marisa!

Thanks for the welcome. :) I have PDF, Mobi and epub. I'm honestly not sure which one would work for Nook, sad to say. I use an iPad, but if you let me know which one works best for you, I'd be happy to send a copy. As for where...in a perfect world, I'd like here, Amazon and B&N, if you wouldn't mind?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone :) My name is Shay and I am a YA paranormal romance/ horror author.

message 40: by Marisa (new)

Joanne,

PDF works, I think it depends on where I can download the book for ePub.

You can email me the PDF to FallingAuthor@aol.com.

Maybe you'd be interested in a review exchange?

Email me ;)

message 41: by Marisa (new)

Hi Shay. Welcome!

message 42: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

epub and PDF works for nook i believe..

message 43: by Marisa (new)

Yea PDF for sure, I'm reading Trial of Marriage by R. Lynn Archie on my Nook in PDF format. It's not my preferred method though. It's harder to navigate.

message 44: by Jackie, Head MOD!! (new)

hi everyone, We have another moderator! I have asked Shay to help me out with the group. I will notify everyone in Tuesdays broadcast message. but for those who see this before then, i just wanted to let you guys know that if you have any questions, you can ask her as well!

welcome to the group Shay, and thanks for helping me out!

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Marisa wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- yet, but I hope to be one day."

H..."

Hi Marisa! Yeah, I try not to give the synopsis of the book, just my opinion. Some of the reviewers here on goodreads are just so articulate. It makes me feel like I'm writing trash, when they're writing professional reviews, LOL!

message 46: by Marisa (new)

✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Marisa wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- yet, but I hope to ..."

Me too Michelle, but who cares. ;) We all have the right to our opinions, articulate or not. I prefer the reviews that I can understand and don't tell me the entire book I want to read. :)

message 47: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Stewart (authorjmstewart) ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Marisa wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- yet, but I hope to ..."

For what it's worth, I write for a living and I cannot write a fabulous review to save my life. I honestly don't think it matters. I'm with Marisa on this one. As a reader, when I'm looking up a book, I skip the long reviews. I don't want to have to wade through a retelling of the book's plot--that's already on every buy page. I just want to know what other readers thought of the book.

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Thanks Marissa and J.M. I think you're both right, thanks! My reviews are my opinion, and if its not good enough for the New York Times, I'll just have to be ok with that, LOL!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I think all reviews are pretty much opinion. They have to be. it's literature therefore what one person likes another may not and what one person does not like, another may. Just like if one review says "The cover is great" another person may say "the cover sucks". I sometimes do a brief like two sentence intro as to what it is about but I usually don't summarize the book.

message 50: by Marisa (new)

J.M. wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Marisa wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle, and love reading. I'm not the best at writing reviews, but I'm working on getting better at that. I'm not a writer- ..."

Exactly! ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23