Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Which book should be nominated in 2013.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Mar 22, 2013 12:38PM) (new)

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
Lets discuss the future nominees!

Of the books released between November 26, 2012, and December 31, 2013 that you have read, which one do you think deserved to be nominated for Goodreads Choice Award?

Any hot future release that you expect to be in the race?

I remind you that this group is not an official goodreads group, so the books we talk about here might not be nominated. However, Goodreads' people might still read this discussion thread! ;)

message 2: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I think that fourth part of Riordan series of Heroes of Olympus may be nominated. The same with the third part of Divergent series. These are ideas from the top of my head. Later in a year, when I have the chance to read more this year's releases I may have more :)

message 3: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Anima wrote: "I think that fourth part of Riordan series of Heroes of Olympus may be nominated. The same with the third part of Divergent series. These are ideas from the top of my head. Later in a year, when I ..."

I totally agree with you! So far, I was so concentrated on our challenge that I haven't read any new release. I need to!! :)

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Oh and I doubt I'll read it (got a bit bored of her books) but I think The Storyteller will be eagerly anticipated by a lot of people.

message 6: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Lynn wrote: "Oh and I doubt I'll read it (got a bit bored of her books) but I think The Storyteller will be eagerly anticipated by a lot of people."

I loved the book, but I can see why she's a love her or ambivalent about her author. I like the themes she explores, but sometimes she misses with the people part. And she obviously has a formula she sticks to. I prefer her earlier books but I will continue to read her new releases.

In The Storyteller the bits about the Holocaust are great, and even the vampire storyline (as weird as it seems) was great, but I wasn't such a fan of the modern part of the story and I didn't really take to Sage.

I think that's the only book I've read so far that will be nominated. But I expect the Divergent one, and the next in the Heroes of Olympus will be nominated. I also think that the new Kristin Hannah one will be nominated, it's a sequel to Firefly Lane, I'm not sure what it's called but it's out in April.

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
She's brought Vampires into one of her stories? Wow, not what I would expect from her books ..... jumping on the bandwagon maybe?

message 8: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

A few days ago, the 3rd book of Divergent was called Convergent and the cover was released. How weird that they took it off. It's supposed to be released at the end of October.

message 9: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "She's brought Vampires into one of her stories? Wow, not what I would expect from her books ..... jumping on the bandwagon maybe?"

Joanne wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Oh and I doubt I'll read it (got a bit bored of her books) but I think The Storyteller will be eagerly anticipated by a lot of people."

I loved the book, but I can see why she's a lov..."

I was about to read The Storyteller but seriously? Vampires? The stories about wolves in her last book really bored me. I'm not sure, I'm up to go through that again!

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
Vanessa wrote: "Lynn wrote: "She's brought Vampires into one of her stories? Wow, not what I would expect from her books ..... jumping on the bandwagon maybe?"

Joanne wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Oh and I doubt I'll read..."

I hadn't heard about the vampires either. I do know people that have read it and they loved it.... Now I feel like I need to ask them about the vampires!

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Kristie wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Lynn wrote: "She's brought Vampires into one of her stories? Wow, not what I would expect from her books ..... jumping on the bandwagon maybe?"

Joanne wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Oh and I..."

Likewise. All the people I know who have read it say it's her best so far... mmmh Vampires??

message 12: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments This is the synopsis that Goodreads has...

Sage Singer befriends an old man who's particularly beloved in her community. Josef Weber is everyone's favorite retired teacher and Little League coach. They strike up a friendship at the bakery where Sage works. One day he asks Sage for a favor: to kill him. Shocked, Sage refuses…and then he confesses his darkest secret - he deserves to die, because he was a Nazi SS guard. Complicating the matter? Sage's grandmother is a Holocaust survivor.

The story centers around Sage, who is then told stories about what happened during the Holocaust by her Grandmother and Josef. Her grandmother was an aspiring writing and was writing a story about a girl who lives in a small village and who encounters a upior (Polish vampire). I actually liked this story within a story within a story! It is also an integral part to the Holocaust story...good vs evil, should we condemn all of a group of people because the group as a whole is evil? It does raise some questions, as I think is the point in most Jodi Picoult books. It is worth reading, and unlike most of her books it doesn't have a courtroom scene.

It is one of her better books, but then again there are only a couple that I wouldn't recommend. Lone Wolf and Salem Falls spring to mind!

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 22, 2013 07:32AM) (new)

I haven't read these yet, so I can't say if I would vote for them or not, but most of them are on my TBR shelf. These are really just my expectations for nominations.

My guesses for a few nominations:
Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover Doctor Sleep by Stephen King Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult Untitled (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth
And maybe:
The House Girl by Tara Conklin The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1) by Megan Shepherd The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab

I'm sure a lot of the series books that were nominated in 2012 will have new entries for 2013.

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) I think a lot of the usual hyped up YA releases will be on the lists - Divergent #3, Infernal Devices #3, Delirium #3, Caster Chronicles #2, etc etc

The Wool Omnibus Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey (books 1-5) should definitely be on the list for Dystopian/post-apocalyptic . If you haven't picked it up yet you really should, it's brilliant.

Other releases I am looking forward to are -

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer April
Reviver A Novel by Seth Patrick June
MaddAddam A Novel (MaddAddam Trilogy #3) by Margaret Atwood August
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick August

message 15: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I haven't read these yet, so I can't say if I would vote for them or not, but most of them are on my TBR shelf. These are really just my expectations for nominations.

My guesses for a few nominati..."

Oh I'd totally forgot about Scarlet, that needs to go on my list.

However Hopeless was published in 2012 (December) so that wouldn't count?
I keep saying I'm going to look up what the dates are to what counts ...... one day I'll do it!

message 16: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Hi Esther! Wool Omnibus was part of the nominees in science fiction this past year. It got the 2nd place with 5624 votes.

message 17: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I haven't read these yet, so I can't say if I would vote for them or not, but most of them are on my TBR shelf. These are really just my expectations for nominations.

My guesses fo..."

I'm not sure about the dates. Maybe december is ok!

message 18: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) Vanessa wrote: "Hi Esther! Wool Omnibus was part of the nominees in science fiction this past year. It got the 2nd place with 5624 votes."

Oh pooey, so it was!

message 19: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I've remembered to go looking .....

Books published between November 26, 2012, and December 31, 2012, will be eligible for the 2013 awards.

Maybe add that to your first post Vanessa?

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "I've remembered to go looking .....

Books published between November 26, 2012, and December 31, 2012, will be eligible for the 2013 awards.

Maybe add that to your first post Vanessa?"

Good to know! I just saw that the paperback came out in Jan 2013, so I didn't even think to look at when it first came out, but it looks like it will be eligible anyway. Thanks for checking on that!

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Almost forgot Mila 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza comes out this year too. That may be nominated. Again, I haven't read it, so I can't say if I'd vote for it.

message 22: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "I've remembered to go looking .....

Maybe add that to your first post Vanessa?"

Done! I guess you meant December 2013, right?

message 23: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Mar 23, 2013 02:43AM) (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Oooops! Yes 2013 :)

Ooohhh yeah, and The Fall of Five is on my growing list.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh! I forgot that one too Lynn.

message 25: by Pau (new)

Pau Nuñez del prado | 3 comments Do not forget this book
Universes Within the Universe by Paola Sanjinez
it is awesome

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 38 comments I just finished and I think Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare should definitely be nominated for Young Adult Fantasy and goodreads author. Amazing book and amazing series!

For Young Adult Fiction, definitely Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover . Amazing Contemporary!

message 27: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Pau wrote: "Do not forget this book
Universes Within the Universe by Paola Sanjinez
it is awesome"

Unfortunately that was published in August 2012 so wouldn't be valid for nomination.

message 28: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments If a book has different release dates for different countries, which one does Goodreads consider when deciding if it's eligible?

message 29: by monet (new)

monet (s4ge) | 47 comments Kathleen wrote: "I just finished and I think Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare should definitely be nominated for Young Adult Fantasy and goodreads author. Amazing book and amazing series!
"

I was going to say that :')
Definitely Clockwork Princess Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare .

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Joanne wrote: "If a book has different release dates for different countries, which one does Goodreads consider when deciding if it's eligible?"

I don't know Joanne, they don't say anything about this subject in their write up about the awards.

As the wording for each book on Goodreads says 'first published' I can only assume they go from the date it was first published in the first county it happens.

I honestly didn't know there was a huge difference in time with countries????

message 31: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I think the main problem is when it comes to translations. In Poland we usually wait for the first Polish editions up to 8 months after the book was released in 'original' language in its country.

message 32: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments There is a book that was published in Jan 2012 in the UK, but not until Dec over here. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I was going to say that it would be a good nominee, but then I saw the UK publishing date and wasn't sure how it would work.

message 33: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "There is a book that was published in Jan 2012 in the UK, but not until Dec over here. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I was going to say that it would be a good nominee, but then I saw the UK publish..."

I heard this book is very good! :)

message 34: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments It was brilliant Vanessa, the synopsis and cover made it seem like it was just another chick lit book, you know girl meets boy etc. But it was far from it! I started it about an hour before bed one night and couldn't put it down. Definitely worth a read.

message 35: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I can't quite get over the difference in publishing dates! I have to say I've never really taken note of publishing dates before goodreads.

message 36: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

I noticed the publishing dates by looking at the price tag : expensive = quite recently published! ;)

message 37: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
::like button:: ;)

message 38: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I think the publishing dates differ, simply because they want to be sure a book will sell before publishing it in North America. It's like that with a fair few British authors, once they have a huge hit then they roll it out. I did notice that the cover had also been changed for being published over here. Sometimes they also change the name, I wonder which date counts when the name of the book is changed?!

message 39: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I think you need to send goodreads all these questions Joanne :)

message 40: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I definitely think Splintered Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard will be nominated. Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason is suppose to be excellent (our bookclub that meets in person is set to discuss/read this in May). I'm sure The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman will get a nomination, simply due to Gaiman's writing and the anticipation of it.

I've found that the awards don't always go to the best books but the ones that are most known; I don't think a lot of the people have actually read them but just vote on them based on their cover and that they "recognize" them. It would be very interesting if they would only allow votes to count based on actual reads and reviews.

message 41: by Sarah (last edited Mar 30, 2013 06:42AM) (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments I don't think I have seen this one mentioned yet which I find very surprising and believe it will be a huge hit and very anticipated :And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

message 42: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jcarlene) Joanne wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Oh and I doubt I'll read it (got a bit bored of her books) but I think The Storyteller will be eagerly anticipated by a lot of people."

I loved the book, but I can see why she's a lov..."

Fly Away is the title for FireFly Lane's sequel :-) I'm looking forward to it!

message 43: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jcarlene) I definitely agree with Hopeless being nominated. Wonderful book.

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 6 comments Joanne wrote: "If a book has different release dates for different countries, which one does Goodreads consider when deciding if it's eligible?"

Last year the awards went by the US release date, so if the book had an earlier release date in the UK or Australia or wherever, it will be fine as long as the US release date is in the eligibility period.

For example, Quintana of Charyn could be nominated.

message 45: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Our additional reads books for May The Time Keeper The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

It is an excellent book (and the author's name is known, which many people vote on, the name of an author without ever having read the book).

This is worthy of a nomination; what a wonderful fable :-)

message 46: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Just about to start The Red Tent

message 47: by Sarah (last edited Apr 02, 2013 03:26PM) (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Lynn wrote: "Just about to start The Red Tent"

Oooh. The Red Tent is a great story.

I have a question. Is The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom a 2012 Goodreads nomination. I swore it was but now cannot find it on the list?

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Sarah wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Just about to start The Red Tent"

Oooh. The Red Tent is a great story.

I have a question. Is The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom a 2012 Goodreads nomination. I swore it was but now ..."

I don't think it was.

message 49: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Apr 02, 2013 04:10PM) (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Not that I'm aware of.

I've just had a quick flick through and it isn't there.

However yes it was published in 2012 (September) so wouldn't class for this year.
I am surprised it wasn't there for last year.

message 50: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Apr 02, 2013 04:08PM) (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "Just about to start The Red Tent"

This was supposed to be in the folder 'what are you reading now'! Serves me right for posting when tired and fighting off a headache ::rolleyes::

« previous 1 3