Start by marking “More Than This” as Want to Read:
More Than This

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

More Than This

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  24,528 Ratings  ·  4,339 Reviews
A boy named Seth drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments, losing his life as the pounding sea claims him. But then he wakes. He is naked, thirsty, starving. But alive. How is that possible? He remembers dying, his bones breaking, his skull dashed upon the rocks. So how is he here? And where is this place? The street seems familiar, but everything is abandoned, ove ...more
Published September 10th 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about More Than This, please sign up.

Tamira Bulgan yes and it seems so perfect at first but no, its not and it is the most dreadful thing!
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Camille Yes! It felt so much like the Matrix! When I was telling my mom about the book she was like "That sounds like the Matrix!" and now i realize that that…moreYes! It felt so much like the Matrix! When I was telling my mom about the book she was like "That sounds like the Matrix!" and now i realize that that is so true!(less)
Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyGeek Girl by Holly SmaleAcid by Emma PassDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
9th out of 165 books — 329 voters
Fangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Dream Thieves by Maggie StiefvaterThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly BlackThe Burning Sky by Sherry ThomasUnited We Spy by Ally Carter
YA Books - Publishing September 2013
13th out of 85 books — 198 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
this book treated me like a dog treats a ragdoll.
and i have no idea where to begin.

patrick ness has written a game-changer that i'm not even really sure how to approach.

this is a YA novel. i've lost half of you book snobs right there. but i think that is my point. YA has been breaking free of its presumed confines for years. when i was a teen, YA novels were largely disposable, empty-calorie entertainment trifles meant to keep us off the streets, off drugs, and not full of babies. they were e
Regan
Dec 05, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing
I like how I still don't know what happened. And I like how that was the point.
Emily May
Sep 12, 2013 Emily May rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, 2013

Look. Here's the thing. I am not generous with my five star ratings. Five star readings must have shocked me or blown my mind or done something really original or otherwise awesome to get me to throw that final star in their direction. So a four star rating is, for me, really really good. I want you to remember that and realise how good this book is when I say I just expected something more from Ness. Let's make a joke about it: I just expected more than this. Ha. And maybe it's because I'm too
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
After reading:

GOD DAMN IT PATRICK NESS. GOD. DAMN. ITTTTTTTT.

Well. I guess it's no secret that I'm obsessed with Patrick Ness's work and I worship the ground he walks on and yada yada. I anticipated this book for a long time and then put off reading it forever because ... I don't know, I guess I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

But I shouldn't have doubted, because this book was fantastic. Very emotional, intense, vivid, and engaging, and with a great cast of characters. T
Maureen
Feb 18, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I was expecting that to be, but it was not that....in the best way possible.

I loved the characters and the plot and the world......but I don't really want to say much about them.

I'm of the opinion of most everyone else that you should go in knowing as little as possible about this book!
Whitney Atkinson
Nov 06, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it
This is a genius idea for a book. It's hard to talk about because it's great going into without knowing much, but I will say I really enjoyed this. From the gay main character to the addicting premise, it was fabulous. I just found myself not really able to connect to the characters, and the ending was a bit too ambiguous for me. But I highly recommend this!
Noelle
Oh, it's Ness review-writing time?

Here's the thing with reviewing Patrick Ness books: I don't want you to read reviews of Patrick Ness books. I want to Panda slap your laptop out of your hand before allowing you to read any details about Patrick Ness books. I want you to skip GO, do not collect $200 dollars and JUST FREAKING READ THEM ALREADY. Save the review browsing for after.

Which might be a bit scandalous to say as a book blogger (goodbye page views!) but: 1) I don't want you to get spoiled
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Either Jean-Paul Sartre gave me my quota of existentialism for a lifetime (I really do love him, though)
Or My reading slump is worst than I thought.

(unfortunately, I'd say )

I shall come back to More Than This someday.

Everyone has been telling me to read a favorite author's novel when nothing* works. Hey, now, that's not as if I didn't think about it. But, well... Too bad I'm an obsessive reader who needs to read EVERYTHING all at once, let's say. If only I had any Melina Marchetta left. Sig
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Terrific blend of I Am Legend + Twilight Zone + The Matrix. I don't love the implied cautionary tale re: technology, but I do love the story structure, characters, and writing. Thomasz has particularly great speech patterns and dialogue, and the story never feels cliche or boring--no small feat when the first 30% consists almost entirely of Seth on his own.

Best read knowing as little about it as possible.
Lara
Um...er...huh.

Well.

----------------

Okay, so, I totally don't know what to make of Patrick Ness at this point. I hated The Knife of Never Letting Go (couldn't even finish it), and absolutely loved A Monster Calls. This? Like I said.

I think the concept is pretty interesting up to a point. And I liked the characters up to a point. And the various mysteries kept me interested up to a point. And, okay, the very very end is really good. I get what Ness is saying here (I think?), but I wish this book w
Spencer
Jul 10, 2015 Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-favorites

“Real life is only ever just real life. Messy. What it means depends on how you look at it. The only thing you’ve got to do is find a way to live there.”

_________________________________

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Patrick Ness has sold me on all of his other books by reading this one. I've read A Monster Calls and immediately after finishing More Than This, I decided to order the Chaos Walking Trilogy. I will buy anything this man writes.

1) The Plot

This book starts off with our main character's,
Trudi

Patrick Ness is a magnificent storyteller and master wordsmith in possession of a vibrant imagination. His Chaos Walking trilogy is tremendously unique and exciting, and his A Monster Calls brought me to my knees with its merciless emotional elegance and purity of Truth.

More Than This shows glimpses of greatness, but never quite reaches that level of soul-satisfying, heart-stopping, mind-melting resolution for me. It's an existential tale of seeking -- the search for meaning, for Truth, for und
Kai
Aug 09, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, glbt, to-buy

You should read this.
Because it is beautiful.
Because it is scary.
Because it is mind-blowing.
Because it is nothing like you expect it to be.
Because it is hard not to love Tommy.
Because it is a book like no other.
Elena
Apr 22, 2015 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. F***.

Patrick Ness just outdid himself.
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 25, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, lgbtqia
THAT WAS DEEP.
Rohisa
“I finished this book.”
This line should be the only review this book deserves but since it wasted 12 hours of my life, Im going to spent few more words on it.

So this is my first introduction to darling of YA novels, Patrick Ness and what a colossal disaster was this. (Imagine Hitler meeting Kim Jong Un kind of disaster).

First of all, what is up with YA novels these days and their thrust to wrap up every possible theme into one story? So this was a psychological drama slash sci-fi fiction with d
Jenny

Okay, first of all, I just want to say that no book should ever end like this. And I mean it. The ending was torture. I know there was a reason behind that ending and I do get it now that I've thought a lot about this book, but still I hated the way the story was left off! Because after completely confusing myself over the logic behind this book and getting confused even more, I expected more than this. (see what I did there?) But since I don't want my review to come off as a rant,( it's not, g
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

That is how I felt when the book ended.

I've suffered from existential depression on and off basically my whole life. I've spent hours upon hours wondering: what's the purpose of life, why am I here, what am I supposed to do, what else is out there. I truly believe there is so much more going on than we are aware of. I'm a thinker, an analyzer, a worrier... so this book was right up my alley.

I loved the diversity of the characters. The main character is (I'm putting it in a spoiler in case you do
Vane J.
Mar 03, 2016 Vane J. rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vane by: Emily May

Have you ever thought if there's life after death? I have. But calm down, I'm not gonna fill this review with existentialist wonderings, and neither am I gonna lie to you and say More Than This brings an answer to that ever-existing dilemma.

What More Than This does, though, is play with the idea - or question - of "is there more to this?". "This" being anything that can come to your mind, be it life, death, a book or movie, etc.

The means to do that is through Seth's story, a boy of seventeen wh
Lotte
I think Patrick Ness just loves writing about survival. I know this probably sounds weird coming from somebody who’s only read two books by him (The Knife of Never Letting Go and obviously, More Than This), but while these books had completely different plot lines and characters, I couldn’t help but see the similarities. They both had very different, yet very distinct voices and were about people who are fighting to survive in their own way, while also questioning their existence, the meaning of ...more
Oct 11, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

”Know yourself and go in swinging…”

It is no secret around here that Patrick Ness is one of my favorite writers. I can’t help yelling my love from the rooftops! Writing it across the sky! Cheering and chanting any chance I get. But let’s see if I can explain why.

Have you ever forgotten the more in life? Forgot to see the more behind the hurt grinding away at us? We all break, stumble, and hurt. But sometimes we just cannot see beyond the tragedy, overwhelming-can’t-breath pain, and helplessness.
Ivan
I could probably write something about this book but this journey will be more fun if you don't know where you are going.

I can only say that if you are fan of Patrick Ness than this book is must read.It's as good as his books get.
shady
Patrick Ness? More like Patrick YESSSSSSSSSS.

Man, did this book give my mind a hard fucking. It's the kind of book that, from the very first page, immediately makes you want to know:

A.) What happened,
B.) What is happening, and
C.) What's going to happen.

Of course, those three questions would only be three out of the seven hundred and fifty thousand nine hundred and twenty six other questions you'll have swirling around in your head, and unfortunately only half of that will probably get answered i
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jul 04, 2014 Catriona (LittleBookOwl) rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Woah..... woah.

VIDEO REVIEW by Little Book Owl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEODm...
Amy (shoutame)
I thought the first half of this book was awesome but the second half went a little down hill!

A young boy drowns and wakes up in his childhood home in England. Is this the end? Is he in hell? He struggles to come to terms with the fact that the world doesn't seem to be finished with him yet can't quite work out what he is meant to do next.

I can't really go into the main plot of this novel as it would totally spoil it for you but for those of you who have read it you will know there are some big
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Aug 30, 2013 Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Edit #2:
Three things:
1) I think this book's book trailer is better than most I've seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...

2) And here is Patrick Ness doing a Q&A for More Than This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...

3) Lastly but definitely not the least, the excerpt can be found on http://www.morethanthisbook.com/. After reading it, my first thought was: I need more than this (More Than This) to satisfy my fangirl heart.

End of Edit #2.

Edit: What's this?! A cover?! I really hop
Maxwell
Nov 12, 2014 Maxwell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, kindle, 2014
I thought I knew what was happening, but I was wrong. Because this book never let's you know what is happening. Ever.
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
3.75*
The writing was fantastic, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Honestly it was an incredible book, but not the kind I like to read, thus the slightly low rating.
La Coccinelle
Apr 17, 2014 La Coccinelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is the first book by Patrick Ness that I've read. Judging by some of the other one-star reviews on Goodreads written by fans of his other books (particularly the Chaos Walking trilogy), More Than This may not be a very good representation of his work. Unfortunately, it was my first exposure to the author, and it didn't make a very good first impression. In fact, it made an awful one.

The synopsis of this book makes it sound like it might be some sort of philosophically deep psychological thr
ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱
People ask me what I'm reading, and I just stick the book in their face, because it's impossible to describe. "Just read the back," I say try to sum up the plot without bursting into tears or giving away spoilers. Is it sci-fi? Is it romance/loss? Is it a dream? IT IS A MYSTERY.
This book was shell cracking, page-turning, bundle of WTF, and it was awesome.
I am a BIG Chaos Walking Fan, so I met Patrick Ness when this book was released and got it signed. He is so funny! What a great day. I may or m
  • Maggot Moon
  • Hostage Three
  • Teeth
  • Midwinterblood
  • Stray (Stray, #1)
  • Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #1)
  • Friday Brown
  • Reality Boy
  • The Traitor Game
  • Charm & Strange
  • Sex & Violence
  • Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Crash and Burn
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

“A book… it’s a world all on its own too. A world made of words, where you live for a while.” 459 likes
“Know yourself and go in swinging.” 245 likes