Author's Corner discussion

Miscellanea > Tate Publishing??? I need some input to make a decision.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 32 comments I've just gotten an acceptance letter from Tate Publishing. After doing some research I'm thinking of waiting to hear back from other publishers.

Has anyone had any experience with Tate Publishing? Good or bad I'd like to hear it.

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Peterson (tanyajpeterson) I don't have experience with Tate Publishing, so I'm sorry I don't have any insights to offer. I want to say, though, congrats on your acceptance! Even if you decide against working with them, it's still an honor to be accepted!

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 32 comments Thank you everyone for your help. I have decided to wait and not sign with Tate Publishing. Hopefully I will get some more acceptance letters soon. Thanks again.

message 4: by Jill (last edited Mar 21, 2013 08:40PM) (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 32 comments I did just speak with someone at Tate. These are some of the questions I had and didn't feel too easy about their answers.

1. I've spent a lot of time & effort on my book covers & image. These would go away & they would create new ones.

2. I've self published & have made okay sales to date. He told me "You won't get any other publishers to sign you on." Then he told me all my "okay" Sales were friends & family. NOTE: No they aren't. I've had good sales in the UK, Germany, Canada & Australia. I don't know anyone outside the US. I've also had good reviews from plenty of people I don't know here in the US.

3. I was talking to him about the $4k up front and was trying to say how I thought it was a shady practice for a publisher to ask for money upfront instead of taking from the first sales. He interrupted and told me he wouldn't sign any writer on that thought his company was shady.

4. He said, oh well, your from Texas. (Like that's a bad thing.) Like where I currently live really matters... Ummm. They are in Mustang OK! Who cares...

5. I told him I just submitted to several publishers and some said they won't even look at my books for 3-6 months. His offer is only good for 10 days. He told me he could extend the offer for 30 days. This was nice, but not really helpful as it won't allow me time to even consider other offers.

Anyway, my husband & I have done enough research to know that I am officially passing on their offer.

Thanks to everyone who has given me input on this matter. I hope this will help others in their search for a publisher.

Good luck!

message 5: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Hallowell | 8 comments Money should always flow toward the author in a real publishing deal. If someone is asking for money from an author up front, they are not a publisher. At best, they are an author services company, in which case you are hiring them to do work on spec, and they should have no right to creative control, nor should they expect to get any rights to the work. At worst, they are a scam, and you should run, run, run away.

message 6: by Rubina (new)

Rubina (rubinaramesh) | 2 comments Hi Jill, I just got an offer from tate publishing.. was wondering how your experience was? Should I or shouldn't I?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Someone gave me the web site, Writerbeware.com
I didn't check it for TATE, but had a similar uneasy feeling about another company 5 years ago. I have felt fine about turning them down. e

message 8: by Rubina (new)

Rubina (rubinaramesh) | 2 comments Eileen wrote: "Someone gave me the web site, Writerbeware.com
I didn't check it for TATE, but had a similar uneasy feeling about another company 5 years ago. I have felt fine about turning them down. e"

Thank you Eileen. Appreciate the link.