Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:
The Accident

The Accident

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  13,642 ratings  ·  1,351 reviews
In this mesmerizing thriller by acclaimed author Linwood Barclay, a typical American community descends into darkness, as an ordinary man is swept into one of the most violent mysteries of modern life.

It’s the new normal at the Garber household in Connecticut: Glen, a contractor, has seen his business shaken by the housing crisis, and now his wife, Sheila, is taking a bus
Published August 9th 2011 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Accident, please sign up.
Mark Simpkins Yes it is a stand alone book. It can be enjoyed all on it's own with no other background.

·  13,642 ratings  ·  1,351 reviews

Arah-Lynda
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, i-said
Glenn Garber is beside himself. His wife Sheila, mother of his eight year old daughter Kelly, is dead, the result of a horrific car accident. Worse still the officer at the scene believes that Sheila is responsible for the accident that claimed the lives of two others. He wants Glenn to accept that his wife was driving under the influence, with an overwhelming amount of vodka in her system. This simply makes no sense. Sheila would never do something that stupid! As the coroner's report confirms ...more
Mandy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Just like a Harlan Coben novel... So glad I have several others of his to read. This book was full of twists and turns and ended up being completely surprising at the end. Highly recommend if you love a book that throws 180s at you! Can't wait to read his others!!!
Phrynne
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
My first by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although once or twice I did wonder how one poor person could possibly be acquainted with so many murderers.

Why worry though. No one ever said mysteries and thrillers had to be realistic, and this one worked really well on every level. It moved fast and had more twists and turns than you would believe! I really liked the main character, Glen and his very capable young daughter Kelly. They made a great team in trying to solve the mystery of She
Jonetta
Quick Summary
What starts out as a typical ordinary day for building contractor Glen Garber and his family ends very tragically. His wife, Sheila, is killed in a car accident under confusing circumstances. As he begins to investigate the circumstances on his own after the police close the case, Glen uncovers a morass of secrets and questionable activities involving people close or connected to him.

The bottom line
This was a page turner with so many twists, turns and discoveries in each chapter. I
Carol
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynwood Barclay takes the reader on a thrilling multi-layered mystery ride in The Accident that grabs you right from the prologue and doesn't stop.

When Glen's wife Sheila is more than an hour overdue from her night class and doesn't answer her phone, he packs up his young daughter Kelly and heads out to find her with devastating results. After Sheila's shocking and untimely death, (no spoiler here) Glen's life and struggling construction business continue to spiral downhill after his daughter pl

E.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. The characters were 3 dimensional, the plot was well developed. My only complaint was (for me) it started to really drag near the middle. Conversations were waaaaay to long, explanations about what and why certain things were illegal seemed to drone on forever. There was good information in all that, it just could have been a little more succinct. Kinda like this needed to be expanded 50 or more pages so there were a lot of words added. (High school essay tactic I re
Louise Wilson
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has not disappointed. I love Linwood Barclay's books and this is the best one I have read so far.

Definitely would recommend
Jenny
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
The Accident is about a community who are affected by the recession created a plan to make more money. Glen Garber construction company was in financial difficulties after a mysterious fire destroyed one of his homes. Glen Garber wife Sheila thought she could help by joining a quick rich scheme set up by a group of women in the community. However, it did not work out the way Sheila wanted. Sheila was involved in an accident that killed a father and his son and gave Glen Garber more problems. The ...more
Mike French
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to my GR FRIENDS for the recommendations. This my first Linwood Barclay book,but certainly not my last! IMO started off a little,but soon became a wild roller coaster ride to the end.I am looking forward to my next adventure with Mr. Barclay!!
Luanne Ollivier
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Comfy chair? Drinks? Snacks? Good lighting? Excellent! 'Cause you're not going to be getting up or stopping once you dive into Linwood Barclay's latest release - The Accident.

The opening prologue - a violent crime with a distinctly different setting caught my interest. But the foreshadowing in the first paragraph in chapter one clinched it:

"If I'd known this was our last morning, I'd have rolled over in bed and held her. But of course, if it had been possible to know something like that - if I c
Suspense Magazine
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
If Mr. Barclay ever decides to go into script writing for a television soap opera, he’ll have good reference material with “The Accident.” This book is chock full of characters interconnecting, with secrets around every corner. With a mini cliffhanger at the end of nearly every chapter, this story unfolds the lives of desperate people trying to hold onto a little slice of life.
One night, Glen Garber, a contractor in a Connecticut community, drives upon the scene of an accident where his wife, Sh
Stella
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I finished this book in about one and a half, two days. It was a page turner, not necessarily because it extremely swept me up and interested me but more because I just wanted to get it over with. It's very simply written, and that's probably because the author is the type to churn out these types of novels and he wants them to appeal to the masses.

I have a number of pet peeves about this book.
First, it switches between first and third person a lot (each chapter is a new character's thoughts or
Diane S ☔
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Was all set to give this book a four but the ending was a bit of an overkill for me. Up to that point I was loving the book, suspense was great, it was a cautionary tale about the buying and selling of ripoff purses and drugs, liked the character of father and daughter but just couldn't buy that ending.
Judy Collins
THE ACCIDENT, another suspense thriller by Linwood Barclay, combined with my favorite male narrator, Peter Berkrot - What a combo! Would love for him to perform all Barclay's audiobooks.

After reading Broken Promise , (Top Books of 2015), Barclay has been added to my favorite author list, and immediately purchased all his backlist in audio format. I am slowly making my way through the list. This is one intense suspense thriller - glued to my iPod for hours!

Glen is a contractor and they barel
Michael
"The Accident" is a thought provoking story dealing with the sale of knock off items by unwary suburbanites attempting to add to their family's income. It also details the people behind this activity and reveals that many of these items were made by young children working in miserable concitions in third world countries.

The thrilling story tells of Glen Garber becoming worried when his wife, Sheila, fails to return home from night school. He attempts to follow her route and comes upon an acciden
Siobhan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Linwood Barclay read, A Tap on the Window, earned a solid five-star rating, and I was eager to pick up more of his work. I worked my way through a few of his books, all earning four-star ratings from me, before reaching a book that left me a bit tentative. Everyone knows that feeling of giving a beloved author a three-star rating, how it can leave you worried about what else they can offer. Due to this, I found myself avoiding the other Linwood Barclay books I own. In the end, though, I ...more
Tony
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Linwood Barclay- The Accident 3 Stars

Glen Garber’s wife Sheila just died in a car accident. The circumstances seem odd as he doesn’t ever remember her driving drunk before, and now his daughter must continue going to a school where they all know her mother killed two of their fellow students. As Garber digs into the mess he discovers that all may not be as it seems in his peaceful neighbourhood. Friends may not be who they claim to be and this information may just put his family into further dan
Izzy
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my Grandma as she had plenty of good things to say about it. Judging from the blurb, it was right up my street.

The prologue made me yawn until I got to the end of the scene. I wasn't hooked but I thought I would at least give the book a chance. The voice and style of the writing was rather limp and I was already considering on giving up within the first three chapters.
I pushed myself forward despite having a massive gripe with the book. This is written in first person a
Cher
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - It was really good.

This was exactly what I needed after several tedious, slow and uninteresting reads - a fast and engaging plot with lots of twists. The ending was somewhat far fetched and convenient, but easily forgiven.
-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: Sherlock Holmes once told Doctor Watson, “How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

First Sentence: If I’d known this
Beth McCraw
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!!! Linwood Barclay can do no wrong in my eyes!
Nicola Mansfield
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm a little behind with Barclay and glad to have gone back and caught up with this title. Barclay never disappoints me. I can always count on him presenting an unusual crime and a thriller with many twists and turns. The Accident, once again, delivers. I'll just start by saying this wasn't my favourite of the author's as I didn't find it as intense as others I've read. Oh, the twists and thrills were there but I just felt as if I knew they were coming just before they happened. There are severa ...more
Pamela
Labyrinth plot - Suave action - Distinct characters - Heart-racing suspense, and crime(s) that could easily have made the evening news. "The Accident" is one of those Can't-Turn-The-Pages-Fast-Enough books. Not a brainiac read, but certainly entertaining.

We think we know our neighbors, family, and friends fairly well, but do we? Glen Garber certainly thought he did. That is, until the faux-walls came tumbling down, exposing insecurities behind the facades. Insecurities so needy and vain, they'r
Tom Swift
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. This was really,really good. This is the first book that I have read from Barclay, and I was very impressed. This is a thriller that grabs you right away and sprints to the end. The Accident is about a man in his 30's whose life is shattered when his wife dies in a DUI/car accident. The truth starts to unfold, what a great story.
Sandy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
Sheila has been in a terrible accident. That accident killed three other people. She was drunk and asleep at the wheel driving up the exit ramp of a thruway. But none of that made any sense. She didn't drink and drive.

Dealing with the aftermath of her death, with a construction project that burned to the ground, and a slump in the economy, it is all Garber can do to keep things together. Then other people start to die and he cannot ignore the coincidences any more.

What is going on in his town
Joy  Finlayson
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

That annoying moment when you realise a brilliant book has been sat unread on your shelves for years.
Carolyn
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! A thriller that actually thrills. A quick roller coaster of a read. I found this tight, fast moving book almost impossible to put down. When I needed to do something such as eat or sleep I would open the book moments after closing it, and skip other activities; hasn't happened during a mystery for a long time.
Barclay's books belong in the same category as H. Cobin's:domestic mystery, where average people or families are caught up in mysterious and dangerous circumstances.I found the adults
Paul Pessolano
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
“The Accident” by Linwood Barclay, published by Bantam Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Linwood Barclay uses this to its maximum in his latest and best mystery/thriller, “The Accident”.

Two young ladies from Butler, Pennsylvania are celebrating a birthday by going shopping in New York. They heard of a place that sells “knockof
Neil Mudde
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a roller-coaster read! if I would not have had to do "chores" I would have stayed glued reading the book until it finished.
Linwood has created a story about clandestine buying and selling of counterfeit goods being brought into the country. (U.S)
The story setting is in a small town, if you think you know your friends and neighbours, ha! think twice, Linwood takes you into people lives like no one else could.
Some of the violence I could live without however we are talking about a cut throat
Maureen DeLuca
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I wish GR's would give 1/2 stars - for me this book was a 3.5 - Glen Garber- a housing contractor is seeing his business shaken during the housing crisis. A home that Glen was building catches fire, and they believe it to be from shoddy equipment and wiring. His wife, Sheila, gets killed in a car accident-presumed to be drunk driving. Then we have plot elements ranging from counterfeit purse parties to toxic dry wall to housewives peddling prescription drugs to lost money in Ponzi schemes. The s ...more
Lisa
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great thriller set in my area of Connecticut! And Linwood Barclay does his research, because he got everything right: the towns, the landmarks, even the malls! I didn't think anything could follow Unspeakable in terms of a page-turning thriller with a shocking ending, but this one was very good! I've heard that others by LB are even stronger, so I'm looking forward to becoming a full-fledged LB addict! Bring 'em on!
Around the Year i...: The Accident, by Linwood Barclay 1 18 Jun 03, 2016 03:33PM
INTERVIEW WITH LINWOOD BARCLAY 7 79 Aug 25, 2012 01:56AM

• You're Next
  • The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)
  • The Cypress House
  • Disturbed
  • Breaking Lorca
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)
  • Killer Move
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Three Weeks To Say Goodbye
  • 15 Seconds
  • Watch Me Die (Stacy Killian, #4; The Malones, #5)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)
  • Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)
  • Iron House
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children – Chas
“It's hard to make things right for everyone."

"But if everybody helped just one person, lots of people would get helped.”
4 likes