Start by marking “A Tap on the Window” as Want to Read:
A Tap on the Window

A Tap on the Window

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  10,839 ratings  ·  1,147 reviews
12 hours, 15 minutes

When Cal Weaver stops at a red light on a rainy night while driving home, he ignores the bedraggled-looking teenage girl trying to hitch a ride - even when she starts tapping on his window. But as soon as he realises she's one of his son's classmates, he knows he can't really leave her, alone, on the street.

But nothing prepares him for the consequences
Published August 6th 2013 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about A Tap on the Window, please sign up.
Savanna D I said in my review this book is a slow burn. Perhaps a bit of editing early on to help the pacing, but if you read the book to the conclusion, I…moreI said in my review this book is a slow burn. Perhaps a bit of editing early on to help the pacing, but if you read the book to the conclusion, I think you'll see why the early stuff was necessary.

I literally flew through the end of the book. I've read a lot of books that would actually fall in that category, where you're getting a lot if life and bits n pieces and start wondering where it's going and why.

If you made it go chapter 15 + I would highly recommend picking it up and finishing.(less)

·  10,839 ratings  ·  1,147 reviews

Start your review of A Tap on the Window
Arah-Lynda
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top, i-said
Woot!

Love so much Love is what I have for this writer. He’s a guilty little pleasure. I have been known to lick my lips, settle in my chair, feet up, chilled Chablis close at hand and over indulge. This one is so damn delicious.

If you know Barclay at all then you know he writes thrillers, of the domestic variety. The kind of thing that could happen to you or me does happen in them.

I cannot seem to get enough and this is my hands down favourite so far. I could not put it down!

I’m getting me
Beverly
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not nearly as good as No Time for Goodbye, A Tap on the Window is a middling mystery with a tough acting and talking detective who just lost his only son to drugs and suicide. I never felt any real connection to the characters, and there are too many mysterious deaths and disappearances to keep track of. The police force is corrupt and violent, the teenagers are all drunk or drug abusers, and the town leaders over-sexed. It all leaves a bad taste in your mouth, like you just threw up a little, ...more
James Thane
I can forgive a lot of things in a book it there's an engaging protagonist that I can sympathize with and relate to early on. Conversely, if the author has the protagonist do something egregiously stupid as a means of getting the plot rolling, it's almost guaranteed that the protagonist, the book, the author and I are in for a rocky relationship. Such is the case here.

The protagonist in this book is Cal Weaver, an ex-cop who is now a P.I. His life is in a shambles because his only child has
Sue
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I purchased a copy of "A Tap On The Window" by Linwood Barclay, after I heard such great things about this novel. Linwood Barclay is a master at suspense/thriller novel. Just when I thought I had it figured out, there would be another twist, and this would change my whole thought process. This is a fast-paced novel that is difficult to put down.

Cal Weaver a middle-aged guy, an ex-cop, now a Private Investigator, was living a private hell since their beloved son Scott had died two months ago. As
Barbara
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

In this book private detective Cal Weaver recently lost his son who jumped off a roof while on drugs. Desperate to find out who gave his son the drugs Cal agrees to give a lift to a teenage girl who knew his son. After some slippery behavior the girl disappears and Cal feels compelled to look into the case. Lots of twists and turns leading to a satisfactory conclusion.
Mandy
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, good storyline-setting-characters- it had all of that. If you want a roller coaster story that twist and turns you and still gives you a hard jolt at the end- then read this. Holy cow- awesome book!
Sean Peters
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Linwood Barclay is one of my favourite thrillers authors, this one as all his others keeps your attention like a rollercoaster with so many twists and turns.

A whole story starting with A Tap On The Window!

Fast paced, thrilling and gripping, as we follow the PI Cal Weaver around the state of New York, as tried to find what is going on.

The story travels as a fast pace, as so many characters are brought in and some many clever twists and turns are added to the story.

Enjoy

regards

Sean

"A Good
Patrice Hoffman
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Received through a Goodreads Giveaway*

I have finished A Tap On the Window by Linwood Barclay and I must say each book I read by him is better than the last. Barclay is definitely the go to when you're in need of fast paced suspense thriller that is full of twists, turns, and genuine "wtf" moments.

Cal Weaver is sitting in a parking lot trying to avoid the girl who's attempting to hitch a ride. He's successful in this attempt up until the point when she taps on the window of his car and mentions
Bill
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
I started to write a standard review of "A Tap on the Window", but it just didn't feel right. This isn't a normal book. Mr. Barclay has used some very dark colors to paint this picture of a small town an hour from the perceived crime capital of the region, Buffalo, New York. All of the townspeople are a bit off, no one is a real good guy. The cops take the outsiders to the edge of town, knock out a few teeth, and tell them to get out of town and don't come back. The cops will stop teenagers and ...more
Lisa
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Tap On The Window by Linwood Barclay was a really fast paced thriller that i enjoyed over 500 pages & got through it in no time which is quick for me must have been GOOD!

Cal Weaver an ex cop turned private investigator picks up claire who is a friend of his son Scott who died of an ecstasy OD as its pouring rain she asks to get out at patchetts bar as she feels sick & has a cut on her hand she tells him she will be back in a bit, when she returns Cal notices something different about
Gary
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another very good Linwood Barclay novel. I am a big fan and find his books so easy to read. The characters are well developed and the plot well laid out and at all times the story keeps you on the edge of your set.
As per usual the story is fast paced and full of twists and turns and very difficult to put down.
Paul
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Exhilarating Thriller from the King of Thrillers
The worst thing about any Linwood Barclay book is that you eventually finish the book and have to wait for the next one to appear in a year’s time. The great thing about his books is that once you open the book you are hooked his thrillers are the opium of the 21st century. Barclay’s books really do live up to all the hype. The review copy I received refers to Barclay as the Modern Day Hitchcock and to be honest I cannot argue against that because
Stefanie
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating 4 stars
I really enjoyed reading this book. This was the first book I've read by Linwood Barclay but it certainly won't be my last. Putting the plot aside for a moment it is without question that Barclay is an extremely talented writer. This book was over 500 pages but before I knew it I was almost finished! The dialogue between the characters is some of the most realistic dialogue I have come across in some time. You know when you are reading a book, even a good one where the plot has
Brenda
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ex-cop, now Private Investigator Cal Weaver felt his life was drifting; the past two months had been hell on earth since their beloved son Scott had died. He and his wife Donna found they had nothing to say to each other – both blamed themselves, both were coping in different ways. Donna was sketching pictures of Scott day in, day out, never satisfied she had his exact likeness – Cal was angry, so very angry; he was coping in ways that he wasn’t proud of, but it seemed he couldn’t do anything ...more
Hallie
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Surprise is one of the great pleasures of reading a good crime novel, so it's always a challenge to review one without spoiling the fun. It's particularly difficult to review "A Tap on the Window" by Linwood Barclay because the surprises start in the opening pages and don't let up until five hundred plus pages later when the novel ends.

Chapter one opens on a dismal, rainy night in front of a bar in a suburb of Buffalo: "A middle-aged guy would have to be a total fool to pick up a teenage girl
Michelle
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my first Barclay book, but it won't be my last…what a fantastic read! My favorite kind of thriller is one in which I'm so twisted and turned around, I can't figure out whodunnit before I get to the end of the book, and this one definitely hit the mark! I was so confused (in a good way), all my guesses were still wrong, right up till the last minute. And even then, there were still a few surprises.

The main character, Cal, an ex-cop-turned-private-investigator and his wife are still
Wendy
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dec-14
A really good story with lots of surprises!
Ray Palen
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Linwood Barclay has been one of the best suspense writers out there and it boggles my mind why he is not a household name. The first novel I read of his --- NO TIME FOR GOODBYE --- is one of the finest thrillers I have ever experienced.

Unfortunately, for me, he took a step backward with his last novel --- TRUST YOUR EYES. Good, but not up to his usual standards. I fear it was an attempt to make a less intense novel that would bring him the much deserved recognition his work deserves. However,
Bandit
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't read a lot of mysteries. The ones I like are usually stand alones, sort of a regular person investigation (domestic thrillers if that's the term), nothing with superspies or stereotypical procedurals, something like Harlan Coben's books. But since Coben only put out one of those a year, I was hoping to find a suitable author, which is why I picked up this book. Ok, the description didn't quite fit the category, since the protagonist is a PI, but close enough. But alas Coben this wasn't. ...more
Derek
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This hit all my buttons for a mystery.

I despise mysteries that rely on coincidence for a solution—all the clues should be available in the text, and a careful reader should reach the same conclusion as the protagonist. If the author is really good, even a brilliant reader won't get there too soon.

Which is not to say coincidence can't have a part—the odds just aren't that good that anybody, even a big city cop, could stumble into these scenarios. So, A Tap on the Window does begin with a
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This one made me boohoo for like 1/4 of the book. Barclay is a nasty author, he makes you think you are so smart, figuring out the big secret early, only to pull the damn rug right from under your feet. I believe I've now read all his books. Considering I just discovered him last year (yes, it was all my doing, before me, he was lost...j/k), that should tell you how much I adore this author.

One big warning..if you've never read a Linwood Barclay novel, you must be patient. Do not skip forward.
Maureen DeLuca
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Even though I am a fan of Linwood Barclay- this 500 page novel just didn't do it for me. I really wanted a 'WOW' at the end of this book- and it didn't even come close. A very disappointing book for me- but hey, there are lots of people who gave this 4 and even 5 stars- so I guess, it is now up to you if you decide to take the plunge and pick up this book.
Barbara Kinsky
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linwood-barclay
Another masterpiece by what I reckon is now the best crime thriller writer of all time! The fact that he keeps all the little dirty secrets right to the end, gets me every time. I always feel I am watching a movie when I read his books as he paints such an awesome picture of each character that just makes you want to read on. Brilliant read!
Gerard Oconnell
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book very much, could not put it down. My first book read from this writer,it will not be my last.
 Alli
I really enjoyed this book, I had not heard of the author before and a member of the book club chose No Time for Goodbye by the same author, as the next group read, but I was unable to find a copy to read and picked up this book instead.

I am definitely going to find more of Linwood Barclay's books to read as I really enjoyed how the story developed and came together.

This was about Cal Weaver, a P.I, whose son had committed suicide months earlier. Cal and his wife Donna live in a small town where
Connie G
Cal Weaver, a private investigator in upstate New York, is trying to find out who sold the Ecstasy to his son, Scott, before he fell to his death from a high roof. Cal and his wife, Donna, are so overcome with grief that they are barely talking to each other, wondering if they will ever be happy again.

"A middle-aged guy would have to be a total fool to pick up a teenage girl standing outside a bar with her thumb sticking out. Not that bright on her part, either, when you think about it. But
Malachi Kidd
May 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure how this book achieved a 3.9. It starts well and is covered in mystery but by the time I reached 100 pages I found myself wondering if I even cared but I figured it was a slow burner and carried on reading. 200 pages in, nope, still didn't care but we're nearly halfway through. 300 pages in, yep it has to turn up now. 400 pages in, might as well finish. 484 pages later...KMT. The twists in this book were awful but the main problem is there's no real protagonist, no hero, no real ...more
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was only by chance that I picked up this book – simply a choice made in the moment so that I had enough books for the offer which was currently on – and I can honestly say I was shocked by the read. I wasn’t expecting much only to find I had to read the book in one sitting. In fact, I was surprised I hadn’t noticed the book before and I’ll be looking for more books by the author.

The book shows how one decision can change a person’s life, and whilst you may think it will focus upon only one
Jack Heath
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars. Not as good as one or two of Barclay's other entries, but it has its share of twists and turns. The suspense is not only at the end! It takes place in upstate New York near Buffalo and the Falls. Toronto pops up. Cal Weaver had been an officer with the Promise Falls Police, but an anger management issue has resulted in him relocating to Griffon and becoming a PI. Even here he remains reluctantly close to the police as his wife Donna's brother is the Chief. Donna and Cal have recently ...more
Simon
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It's unpredictable and a real kick in the guts at times. I think it suffers from some unnecessary exposition and too many revelations at the end, which undermined the book in the end. You are left feeling that this town didn't have any good people in it--and that kept me from giving the book 5-stars. Still, a really good read.
Play Book Tag: A tap on the Window by Linwood Barclay 3 stars 4 17 Oct 02, 2016 10:45AM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Tap on the Window, A - October 2014 23 99 Dec 30, 2014 08:37AM

• Live to Tell (Live to Tell #1)
  • Pismo gospođe Vilme
  • Someone We Know
  • This Secret We're Keeping
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World
  • Thorne at Christmas: A Short Story Collection (Tom Thorne Novels)
  • Guest From Hell (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator Book 20)
  • To Preserve (I, Robot: Reichert, #3)
  • The Innocent
  • Poslednje proleće u Parizu
  • No Way Back
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather
  • When Angels Fail To Fly (Steve Cassidy, #2)
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children –
“auburn in color, and a little too much” 1 likes
“Technology allowed us to share our photos with more people now than ever before, but where would these captured moments in time be in twenty years? On some outdated piece of hardware at the bottom of a landfill site? What happened to memories you couldn’t hold between your thumb and forefinger?” 1 likes