What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Sunshine
This topic is about Sunshine
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Picture book about a girl getting dressed for school [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Polly (pollya) | 132 comments I'm looking for a picture book, read in the late 80's or early 90's in Canada, about a girl getting dressed for school. Lots of details available below, but I've had no luck on the librarian listservs!
Here's what we're looking for: it was definitely English. How I know I can't say, but I think it was more than that the poor child wore a zillion layers of clothes (knickers or stockings, vest, petticoat, another undershirt-y kind of thing)--maybe the place or date of publication suggested it? The adult in the picture was a father, not a mother, youngish, dark-haired, I think. The girl was 8-12? and there wasn't a lot of colour--blues, grays, browns maybe, blacks? Lots of white, too, I think. I think there was the suggestion that she had to hurry to get her transport--or get to school in time on foot--or maybe the dad was even driving her--I think there might have a been a bus or van on the last page. Maybe on the same page, or just before, she was pulling on the last garment and dragging a book-bag. (Dragging, definitely.)
I don't think the clothes were that old-fashioned--I think she ended up in a skirt and sweater. 50s,60s, even 70s, maybe. My impression was: definitely English (i.e., a little different), but contemporary for when the book was written. Certainly not high-fashion, but kids' clothes weren't, until fairly recently.
There were either no words at all or very few.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Jan Ormerod has books like that, lots of panels, not much action, not many words.

Polly (pollya) | 132 comments Thank you, Cheryl! I've actually had the same answer from another source, so I'm getting a copy of the likeliest one (Sunshine) through another library, and I will update this when I'm sure whether that's right or not. Thanks again!

Polly (pollya) | 132 comments It is indeed Jan Ormerod's Sunshine. Thanks Cheryl!

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
Sunshine for the link. Congrats on the find!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I do love this author/ illustrator. I'm glad we solved your book mystery.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sunshine (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jan Ormerod (other topics)