What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: YA about trip to Mars -- 1950s [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jan 15, 2008 06:56PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments Sounds a little bit like Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet.

http://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Mushro...

message 2: by bup (new)

bup | 84 comments In this book, did a lot of people on Mars believe that Martians didn't exist, but the kids showed that they were just very shy, and hid in caves most of the time?

message 3: by bup (new)

bup | 84 comments I kind of remember a book like I'm describing (and also, the humans are unwittingly hurting the Martians), but can't remember the title. Thought it might jog somebody's memory.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments Hi Mike!
It might also be an old novel by Robert Silverberg called Lost Race of Mars (c1960).
Here's the summary from Worldcat:

A brother and sister search for the original Martians during the year their family lives on Mars.

I still have my copy of the Scholastic paperback, and the cover has the Martians coming out of a cave.

Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet is also good-- I read the whole series when I was a kid-- but for more of a juvenile rather than a YA audience.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments Well, how about Red Planet: a Colonial Boy on Mars by Robert Heinlein (c1949)? Here's the plot summary from NoveList:
A young colonist on Mars befriends a strange round creature called Willis who gets him into trouble when he goes away to school, but whose presence and friendship finally enable the colonials to negotiate a treaty with the Martians.