Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-04 - Dark - What will you read in April?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8459 comments Mod
Thanks to Sherri, we are looking to a Dark April!

Which books will you be reading?

message 2: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (lil_bookette) | 107 comments Watchmen if I can get it from the library, The Handmaid's Tale, and I will probably try The Hunger Games again. Couldn't quite get through it the first time, but my daughter loved it.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Currently got it narrowed down to 120 books, and even though I have two weeks off in April that might just be a few too many.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
Lol, Karen. 120? What is is you don't like about this shelf *puddle on the floor from the dripping sarcasm*

message 5: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 17, 2013 11:50AM) (new)

I am set to read A Game of Thrones in April, which is on the list. :) If for some reason that falls through my alternates are:

Watchmen
Dracula ( I am reading Salem's Lot this month, so I may go for another Vampire book)
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Kite Runner (also on my LOST list)
Sharp Objects (love Gillian Flynn)
American Gods

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Lyn M wrote: "Lol, Karen. 120? What is is you don't like about this shelf *puddle on the floor from the dripping sarcasm*"

I know, this shelf just isn't appealing to me at all.

Karen wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Lol, Karen. 120? What is is you don't like about this shelf *puddle on the floor from the dripping sarcasm*"

I know, this shelf just isn't appealing to me at all."

There are some great books on there, that if for sure!

message 8: by Rora (new)

Rora Karen wrote: "Currently got it narrowed down to 120 books, and even though I have two weeks off in April that might just be a few too many."

Four books a day, who needs sleep? : )

I'm planning on reading...

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Unwind by Neal Shusterman
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

I might re-read A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

message 9: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1589 comments I have A Clash of Kings waiting for me at the library. I have been delaying collecting it because I was so disappointed in A Game of Thrones but I will be reading it (perhaps staring a little early).
Then I am looking at
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Norwegian Wood
The Scar
The Postman Always Rings Twice
and perhaps Lirael and The Way of Shadows.

message 10: by Candiss (last edited Apr 18, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I finally finished my Books About Books selection (although I'm actually still reading my GLBT book from February!) and will review it shortly, so I'll go ahead and commit to something for April.

Beloved - finished 4/16/13, review in progress
And Then There Were None
We
Six-Gun Snow White

Candiss wrote: "I finally finished my Books About Books selection (although I'm actually still reading my GLBT book from February!) and will review it shortly, so I'll go ahead and commit to something for April. ..."

And Then There Were None is my favorite Agatha Christie of all!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I already have 6 other books I have to read next month for my personal challenges...BUT if I get those done on time, I am in for Coraline, by Neil Gaiman.

message 13: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1602 comments This will be a hard shelf for me. I have a bunch of "read" books already completed and all the others that aren't read yet are also not of interest to me. I will have to work back through more pages and see if I can come up with something.

message 14: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ OMG I had to stop going thru the pages. LOL I found these off just the first page or two that I need to read.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
White Cat by Holly Black
Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) by Lemony Snicket Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
Megan chose A Game of Thrones for me in POTS, so I'll start that Apr. 1

Others I found in the first couple pages of the shelf:
Gone Girl
Unwind
Lyra's Oxford
Mystic River

But I was shocked how many of my "read" and "TBR" are on this shelf, so I may find others.

message 17: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1602 comments My books will probably be a couple of YA's that I have on my TBR:
Divergent
Life As We Knew It
The Dark Is Rising

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1047 comments I have so many read and to be read books on this shelf but I've narrowed it down to three:

In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I'm going to read Oryx and Crake as I find Margaret Atwood quite readable and I should be able to fit it in this month.

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 23 comments I think I'm going to again stick with one book for this month and try to read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1047 comments Gemma wrote: "I may've started early as I found the A Series of Unfortunate Events triology for a dollar in an op shop. One book in and I'm not sure I want to finish it. Anyone else read it and find it somewhat ..."

I read the first book and wasn't that impressed with the story - your typical children battle against their evil relative. The illustrations, on the other hand, are really good. Remind me of Edward Gorey's work.

message 22: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8459 comments Mod
Gemma wrote: "I may've started early as I found the A Series of Unfortunate Events triology for a dollar in an op shop. One book in and I'm not sure I want to finish it. Anyone else read it and find it somewhat ..."

I think was too annoyed at being reminded all the time that its "A Series of Unfortunate Events" each time something went wrong that it didn't register how disturbing and creepy, it was. It started off a bit creepy then I forgot about it... the climax of the 'evil' was disturbing but it didn't go far enough to really disturb me.

Dunno if that makes sense to anyone at all, ha ha ha...
I'm not interested enough to read the next book though I may, one day, if only to fit into a challenge, :p

message 23: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 23 comments I remember reading A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid - we found a boxed set of the first ten at a thrift store somewhere I think. I read them because they were popular, but I never finished the series. I got to book eight or nine and ditched it. I think the set is still in storage in the house in Canada somewhere...

message 24: by Sherri (last edited Mar 25, 2013 05:15AM) (new)

Sherri (lil_bookette) | 107 comments Sophia wrote: "I read them because they were popular, but I never finished the series."

I read eight, and I'm not sure why I stuck it out so long. I liked the first few, but they steadily got more boring and predictable. Suspense fails when you already know what is going to happen.

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments planning on both Hopeless and UnWholly

message 26: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 245 comments Sooo, I guess I lost track of time for the last two months :D because I totally fell off the wagon here. Seriously, I really don't know what happened...

Anyway, I was surprised how many I found to read in just the first three pages! This isn't a shelf I would have thought I would like, but apparently I read more dark things than I thought.

I'm going to shoot for:
Gone Girl
Brave New World

message 27: by Christine (last edited Apr 05, 2013 01:21AM) (new)

message 28: by Adrienne (last edited Mar 27, 2013 07:12AM) (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments There are just so many! I am having trouble paring it down to a workable list.

message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I have not been reading much lately and kind have been MIA on Goodreads, but I am trying to get back into things.
I found a book I have been meaning to read on the shelf so hopefully I will get to in in April.

The Knife of Never Letting Go

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2125 comments This shelf goes well with the Zombie game! I have these three already on my to-read for monopoly and was happy to see that they work here too:

Stirred
Double Dexter
Days of Blood & Starlight

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4419 comments Mod
I am planning to read The Historian. If there is time and it comes into the library for me (on hold), I will also read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

message 32: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I have like a million books that fit that theme...here's a list although I may change my mind if something else comes up:
Razing Kayne - SRC
Wounded
Gunmetal Magic - Mt. TBR
The Company Man
Abhorsen - MZ
Darkhouse

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
I also found a couple of my LOST books on this shelf, so I'll try to get to them as well:

Good Omens
Wicked

message 34: by Rene (new)

Rene | 2 comments I decided to read Gone Girl

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle154) | 5 comments reading war of the dwarves by Markus heitz right now.

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 14 comments Reading The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff to start my Dark April selections....