Start by marking “Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials, #3.5)

Lyra's Oxford

(His Dark Materials #3.5)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  17,268 Ratings  ·  932 Reviews
Lyra's Oxford begins with Lyra and Pantalaimon spotting a witch's dæmon. Lyra shelters the daemon from the pursuit of a frenzied pack of birds, and then attempts to help by guiding the daemon to the home of an alchemist living in a part of Oxford known as Jericho. The journey through Oxford reveals more dangers than Lyra had anticipated.
Published October 28th 2003 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lyra's Oxford, please sign up.
Cassandra Kind of? La Belle Sauvage, the first in the Book of Dust, was set 10 years before Northern Lights - so Lyra's a 8 month old baby. And she's a major…moreKind of? La Belle Sauvage, the first in the Book of Dust, was set 10 years before Northern Lights - so Lyra's a 8 month old baby. And she's a major player - it centres around her, but as a baby obviously there's no Lyra PoV.

Rumours I've gleaned from the internet say that the second part of the Book of Dust will be set around the same time as His Dark Materials, and that the 3rd part 10 years after that.

So to answer your question, yes it's a new series, but no cos it still centres around the same characters and questions.(less)

Jayson
(B) 74% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Accomplishes its purpose as a solid ‘bonus’ story, but is too thin, both figuratively and literally, to be anything more.
~Poppy~
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
“Everything has a meaning, if only we could read it.”

Magdalena
Lyra's Oxford is a lovely addition to His Dark Materials trilogy. Neat and fast-paced it's another great adventure for Lyra and Pan. A must-read for Pullman's fans.
David Schaafsma
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, fantasy
"Everything means something," Lyra said severely. "We just have to find out how to read it."

I finished His Dark Materials (maybe better known as The Golden Compass trilogy) this summer for the second time and finally turned to this short story sequel, set in Lyra’s home after her travels, Oxford. The book is small, and packaged beautifully, with wonderful engravings and a map of Lyra’s Oxford. It also includes a cruise brochure, pages from Baedecker’s guide to Oxford, a post card from Mary Malon
mark monday

Lyra the little liar is back in full force. she gets to use her special power of super-lying at least twice, so it's clear that despite the amazing and horrible and life-changing adventures of the preceding trilogy, some things will never change. a witch and an alchemist cameo, and naturally her daemon Pantalaimon remains by her side. all is well in Golden Compass Land, at least for this reader. things ar
Trish
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another lavishly beautiful book by Philip Pullman. Again, this little volume is cloth-bound and contains a number of illustrations along with these:

The story takes place 2 years after the end of the trilogy His Dark Materials and tells of Lyra watching a flock of starlings when they suddenly attack a witch's daemon (it has to be a witch's daemon because it is alone). She saves the daemon and then lets him persuade her to find a man who supposedly can help him save his witch, who is ill. The man
Shovelmonkey1
Phillip Pullman lite. Treat either as an amuse bouche for those who are yet to read His Dark Materials but want a little hint of the tone and content of the sub-oxfordian world of little girls and their daemons or, for those au fait with the excellent His Dark Materials trilogy this is a little unexpected extra.

A short story complete with pages of ephemera and published to look a little like an old skool Baedecker guide, the look of the thing is perhaps more of a joy than the short story but, as
Kirstine
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own, reviewed, 1-men
Is there such a thing as literary roots? If so, this series is part of mine.

This particular story is an easy, short and very enjoyable read - that is, if you've formerly enjoyed His Dark Materials books (and why wouldn't you have? they're fantastic).

Perhaps this short story (novella?) isn't deserving of 4 stars in itself, but it filled me with nostalgic longing and I was reminded of the immense love I have for this series and how much it still means to me. We forget these things sometimes, bec
Antonio
Lyra y Pantalaimon están de vuelta en su Oxford natal con una nueva aventura, con brujas, alquimistas y por supuesto Daimonions.

Me gusto esta pequeña historia, pero tiene el problema, de que deja más preguntas que respuestas, es como el primer episodio de una serie, que sabes que podría llegar a gustarte mucho, porque tiene las cosas que ti te gustan, pero, por ser solo el principio quedas algo perdido en la trama y quieres saber más, mucho más.

Así me encantaría que Pullman desarrollara mas est
Duane
The setting is Oxford University about two years after the end of His Dark Materials trilogy. It's a very short story about Lyra Silvertongue, and hardly satisfies the multitude of fans patiently waiting for Pullman's follow up novel to his successful trilogy. Maybe this year or next he says.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
What is there is very charming (and hints of future events, eh?) but the volume is so thin it's hard to rate it higher.
Obsidian
This was way too short! I wanted it to be much longer than it was. We get to catch up with Lyra who is now at Oxford studying. She and Pan (remember Pan?) get caught up in a plot that ends with them winning the day.

Honestly the book was just a nice sneak peek at what Lyra has been up to since "The Amber Spyglass." It's been I think two years since the events of that book and Lyra is learning how to read the alethiometer. What I did like was this sounds like something that will come into play I t
Veronique
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
”Everything means something”

I wondered how Lyra would come across after the events of the first trilogy and her being two years older. As it happens, she is still so easy to follow. Pantalaimon too and his chosen form...

Nice short story that tintillates the reader while promising the hint of the future, especially with all the extra features in the book, such as maps, postcards, ads, etc. I’ll keep this in mind when reading Pullman’s Book of Dust trilogy, in case there are indeed clues :0)
Luka Pejić
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd enjoy reading Pullman's grocery list, so my rating isn't to be trusted at all here.
Carmen de la Rosa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terminé de leer La Materia Oscura (quizás mejor conocido como la trilogía de La Brújula Dorada) al inicio de este año, justamente el día de hoy me entere de esta serie de relatos por lo que me puse a leerlos al instante, ambientada en la casa de Lyra después de sus viajes en Oxford. El libro es pequeño y está bellamente empaquetado, con maravillosos grabados y un mapa de Lyra en Oxford. También incluye un folleto de cruceros, páginas de la guía de Baedecker a Oxford, una tarjeta postal de Mary M ...more
Rhys Thomas
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this little delight in a charity shop the other day and read it on my commute today (it’s quite short). I loved the Dark Materials trilogy, and have a special affinity with Northern Lights because I bought it after quitting my job at British Gas (I walked out and didn’t go back) before taking it to the roof garden café of David Morgans where I stayed reading it until 8 o’clock at night.

I started reading this story and it didn’t take me long to remember how magical the first books were. I
Andrew
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a strange little book, basically a beautifully bound short story set in the world of "His Dark Materials" and amongst the sleeping spires of Oxford, Lyra's Oxford that is.

The book I will admit was picked up on my travels and at a fraction of the cost (I would have baulked at the idea of paying what it was listed at) anyway the book really is just a short story however there is a sub-text "everything has a story to tell" which helps put a interesting twist to the book. The introduction o
Stacey (prettybooks)
I loved being back in Lyra’s Oxford (*waves to an early appearance of Malcolm*) but it’s a little pricey for such a teeny-tiny book!

“Everything has a meaning, if only we could read it.”
Maciek
Lyra's Oxford is a small publication, a short story essentially, which can be easily read in one sitting. It is after the events of His Dark Materials trilogy and features the familiar duo of Lyra Silvertongue and her daemon, Pantalaimon. Both are stationed at Oxford, when a witch's daemon arrives, begging Lyra to help him find a person who's unknown to her...

To say more would spoil the book, since it is so very short. And that's my complain. While it is certainly enjoyable, and Pullman's writin
Katie Lumsden
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable addition to His Dark Materials. I do love that world.
madisson ✨
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
"everything has a meaning, if only we could read it"

i miss this world and these books so much, i'm definitely going to have to reread the his dark materials trilogy as soon as possible.
Susy
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Short story about Lyra. I always enjoy going back to the characters of a series I liked. Lyra isn’t my favorite character though and the story didn’t add much to the main books nor was it a very intriguing story. Liked Scoresby’s background story better. I did like the added material.
Kristina
It’s been a few years since I’ve read Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, but I remember it as being absolutely phenomenal reading: adventurous, philosophical, spiritual with wonderfully complex characters and the delightful heroine, Lyra, and her daemon, Pantalaimon. I had completely forgotten that the novels take place in Oxford and so when I traveled there last month I was thinking of Tolkien writing his novels in this university city, but not of Pullman. While wandering around waiti ...more
Lau
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda historia corta. Está situada 2 años después del final de la trilogía y cuenta una aventura de Lyra y Pan en Oxford.
Espero que ésto signifique que un día la historia va a continuar, porque no parece que se haya terminado. Por suerte.
Simon
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Only Pullman / HDM fans
Shelves: kindle-books, fantasy
The main problem with this book is the issue of EXPECTATIONS.

If you read and liked His Dark Materials, you expect something good, even though it's a short story, you expect Lyra's Oxford to provide some kind of additional insight, some kind of additional information, or, at the least, to describe Lyra and Oxford 2 years since the events of The Amber Spyglass.

None of that happens. This is basically a novella, a short story that was written, it seems, to allow Pullman to make a bit more money off
John
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
A quick glimpse back into the world of His Dark Materials. No need for a book mark, this can be achieved in one sitting.

I really liked this book, short as it was, though I know many didn't. They expected Lyra to have gone unchanged over the two years since her last adventure. But even in the final book of the trilogy, she'd changed. She'd lost some of her abilities as she matured. So I didn't expect anything less.

It still amazes me that Pullman knows his world so well that he throws in the most
Young Lightning in Dark Sky
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Philip Pullman/Neil Gaiman, and want a quick read
Recommended to Young Lightning in Dark Sky by: Becca
This was a very quick read-sixty pages at the most, though I'm not sure, and I knocked it out in about half an hour. This one will surely be a re-read though-I was doing some extreme multitasking.
Philip Pullman's writing style draws me in, and envelopes me in worlds that no other author aside from Neil Gaiman can seem to put me in. The dark illustrations really iced this chocolate cake, and I found this book full of plot, with characters full of unique personalities, interesting scenes, and the
Shannon
May 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
I hate when authors don't know when to end something. His Dark Materials trilogy is OVER. We get that you're a sell-out, Philip Pullman (judging by the movie previews.. oh man).. just leave it alone. You wrote some great books. Now hush.
Amanda
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Such a cute intriguing addition to the world of Lyra Silvertongue. Made me remember fondly events in His Dark Materials and piques my interest for The Book of Dust.
Devann
This was a cute little short story to follow up on Lyra after the end of the main series, but honestly it's a bit underwhelming after the sheer scope of what was happening in the main books. Maybe it would have been cooler if I had a physical copy with the fold out map and everything, but as it is it was just a light short story that, while enjoyable, didn't really add much to the series overall.
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • The Jellyfish Season
  • The Art of Faery
  • Samurai (Simon St George, #2)
  • The Science of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • A Bridge to the Stars
  • The Art of Amy Brown II
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Alis
  • The Boyfriend Game (Sweet Valley Twins, #113)
  • The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series
  • Superflirt
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more

His Dark Materials (3 books)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
“Everything means something.” 28 likes
“Perhaps some particles move backward in time; perhaps the future affects the past in some way we don’t understand; or perhaps the universe is simply more aware than we are.” 3 likes