Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > How long do you read for?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

How long do you read for? Just felt like asking! Also do you finish a whole book in a day? This is Just to share!

message 2: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments It depends on the book and my mood. There are some books that take a long time for me to read and others that I read within hours. Quite often I will read a book in one sitting, which usually means I have to plan my reading time...no starting a new book just before bed on a week night!!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5870 comments Mod
It depends how much time I have available. When I'm working an overnight, I read for 3-6 hours straight. Most of the time I have other life things taking up my time and can only read in shorter bursts. I try to make sure I have at least a 1/2 hour of free time if I'm going to read a book. I never have a full day available to read, so I never read a full book in one day. (Although, I wish I could. Maybe some day when I'm on vacation I'll try it!)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5870 comments Mod
Unless you count time for school reading...then I read hour after hour after hour.....

message 5: by Aimée (new)

Aimée (aimeeemia) | 11 comments It usually depends on my mood and the book, or even the genre. :] Lately I've been delving into the contemporary kinds, which are usually easy reads. So those would usually require me four to six hours, depending on the number of pages... If I read classic novels, which often have substantial pages and complex words, I would go for an entire day.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Szewczuk It depends entirely on the book and my mood. There have been times I read an entire book in a day and other times when it takes me a week or more to get through a book.

message 7: by Bess (new)

Bess It depends on the book, but I read every night for an hour. So it takes me about 3 to 4 weeks.
S

message 8: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments As previously mentioned, the time depends on the book. If it's non fiction, such as some biography or history book, or self help, then it takes me up to three weeks to read it. But if it's something rather "light", entertaining, with fast pace and gripping plot, such as YA or mystery novels, I usually devour it within a week or a night :)

message 9: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2010 comments Mod
Likewise, it depends on the book (length, type...), the mood and what's planned for the day. I won't have as much time to devot to reading on a week day for instance. Last weekend, I finished a book in a few hours but even if I wanted, I wouldn't be able to finish A Game of Thrones in a day. That's just an example!

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie (angelannie) I read a lot - I lucky enough to work in a bookstore so my breaks are spent reading - I read every night with the intention of putting me to sleep but I usually end up freaking out at 4 am because I have to be up for work again in three hours and spent the whole night reading! I can read most books in 1-2 days.

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla (Carla's Book Bits) (carlasbookbits) I try to go through books a little slower.. I like to be able to get as much details as I can, so it usually takes me a little longer than most people to read a book cover to cover. Sometimes though, when something's really fast-paced and I have a lot of time that day, I might finish a book in one day.

Like what everyone said, it really does depend on the kind of book.

message 12: by Aisyah (new)

Aisyah Azalia (Ichaazalia) | 8 comments It depends on the type of book ( my fav genre: fantasy) and my spare time!

message 13: by Marion (new)

Marion Hudson At least two hours a day. Time that other people spend watching TV, I spend reading. I live with boys/men - three sons and a husband, so the TV is always on sport anyway.

I often read a book in one sitting - staying awake long after the rest of the household has gone to sleep!

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments As everyone else has stated, it depends on my mood and the book. But, typically, I read in short bursts throughout the day as I get some free time. I have a one year old and have to snatch reading time as I can. I get the most reading done at night once she's tucked in bed, if I'm really into the book and I'm not too tired. There have been those few books that I fly through in one night, but typically it'll take me a week to finish a book. :)

message 15: by donna (new)

donna (donnahag) | 22 comments I read in short spurts also. I am finding now that I am carrying my Kindle with me wherever I go so even if I have a little wait somewhere I can pull it out and read for however long. I am trying to make a change where I do set aside a specific time a night to read but with 3 kids and my husband, which sometimes feels more like 4 kids it seems hard to do.

message 16: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I have a few days off and no gym motivation, so I'm spending a lot of time reading. I will probably get through at least 4 books by the time I start work again on Tuesday...I've already read two.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melabee) | 9 comments I have been able to read for about 4 hours today since the weather was rainy and chilly and I wanted to stay inside. I was able to finish one book and start another this afternoon.

message 18: by Nan (new)

Nan Adams | 1 comments I read when time permits - and a good book makes me find ways for time to permit me to read. I often have insomnia, and reading is my usual late-night strategy for wakefulness. I read the most during semester breaks, and often 'save' the really long books I want to read to devour for having finished a semester.

message 19: by Bess (new)

Bess I enjoy reading at night to end the day.

message 20: by Ana (new)

Ana Veciana-Suarez | 3 comments Though I do a lot of reading for my job during the day, I always read for fun at night. Like Bess, I like to end my day that way and prefer a good book over TV any day.

message 21: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) It depends on the book, the length of the book and how much time I have, which may sound obvious. I can and have frequently read a book in a day, and often headed straight onto the next one. Unfortunately, all too often, I read next to nothing for a few weeks and then 8 or 9 books in a week the next. I also usually have at least two on the go at once, along with the papers and articles I have to read for work.
I used to not read anything when I was covering events or on shifts but I've discovered that my Kindle fits nicely into my trouser pocket so it does often accompany me to duties and shifts, especially if I know I'm covering a first aid post or we're likely to see a lot of standby and will (hopefully) have plenty of time to read.

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 11 comments deleted user wrote: "How long do you read for? Just felt like asking! Also do you finish a whole book in a day? This is Just to share!"

The length of time I read a day totally depends on my schedule. I read for at least 2-3 a day. If the book is compelling, that time will increase, often to how ever long it takes to finish the book. I've had many a late night because I can't put the book down.
I take my kindle everywhere, if I'm walking somewhere I'm reading as well.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I put in about 2 hours a day. I also enjoy listening unlimited times to audiobooks. It makes my day move faster, especially when doing monotonous errands or chores.

message 24: by Sherry Lee (new)

Sherry Lee (sherrylee_000030) I hardly get time to read. It's kinda sad. I have a 5 month old, an 11 year old and an 8 year old plus a job. I'm so darn busy. I love to read! But it feels like there's not enough hours in the day. The only time I read is at night when everyone's asleep. It's better for me to read when its quiet. So it normally takes me about a month to read one book. I know, sounds sad. But at least I can say I finish all my books.

message 25: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4047 comments Mod
Not surprising you don't have much time to read Sherry Lee with 3 little ones!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Showman (thoseducks) Sherry Lee... have you tried audiobooks? I get cds from the library, free ones from librivox.org, podiobooks on podcast, etc. so I can listen while I cook, clean and shower. If that has interest, I can make more specific suggestions... those are free and sometimes can be limited but each avenue has some wonderful options.

message 27: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jcarlene) I have two little boys so I wait till they go to bed. I have been known to pull an all nighter since it's really the best time for me to read. Or I'll read while they watch TV. But I definitely read every night.

message 28: by ElvenRaven (new)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments It all depends on the kind of book, but when I read a book with an engaging story I often find myself saying "ok, just one more chapter, then I'll go study" over and over again, only to end up reading for hours LOL.

message 29: by Buffy (new)

Buffy (buffywuffy) I usually have two books on the go at any one time. I usually get a stack of books from the library and sort them by size. The largest books are my 'home' books. I read after work sometimes (depending on how gripping a book is), while I'm cooking and before bed. The smaller books are my 'commute' books. I take the Underground to work which takes about 30 minutes each way. I can read 30 - 50 pages each way, so I finish books quite quickly. So far I've read 20 books this year. Not too shabby. :)

message 30: by Norelle (new)

Norelle (onefabknitter) | 10 comments I usually have a few on the go too.I tend to have one for on my kindle and one on my tablet.I do love a paper book, but can't deny I love carrying around hundreds of books when on holiday.Stops me hoarding books in every corner! I read every day and often like to read a few so I dont get bored.It sort of feels like i have a tv series I am watching and have switched over to view another one an hour later. lol.
I am currently reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green and The Best Of me by Nicholas Sparks. Both good!

message 31: by Jakeyfatdog (new)

Jakeyfatdog | 4 comments It really depends on what else is going on. I always read when I go to bed but I often read in the evenings in my "family" room (without a telly) whilst the boys are in the lounge watching some rubbish. I had to buy a kindle because I can read a book a day on holiday and Hubby refused to carry the case any more. I have also done what others have said and read through the night (whilst thinking how stupid it is because I am SO tired the next day). As I get older it gets harder for an author to have that effect on me although last month I was reading The girl you left behind by Jojo Moyes desperately trying to get to the end before I went away for a week.

message 32: by Camille (new)

Camille Cabujat (cams18) it depends on the book....if it's a really good one (like Divergent), I finish within the day

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie For me it depends on the book. Right now I am reading a book that is taking forever and it is not that it is a bad book I am enjoying it just not a page turner. I read whenever time allows. Favorite time would be once everyone has gone to bed. Quiet and no distractions!

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) I'm often lucky to get brief bouts of time to read, but if a book sucks me in, it is amazing how many more brief bouts I can find ;)

message 35: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 48 comments I tried to find hours into reading a book in the afternoon. But life gets in the way and I'll have to wait till I know I'm alone to start reading. I have to concentrate on my books in peace otherwise I have to re-read again. Mostly I squeeze my book reading at night. At least I know the world is quiet during that time.

message 36: by Namrota (new)

Namrota Mazumdar | 8 comments Depends on the book and my schedule, if the book is of my taste and my day is off, then it takes a day to finish it...else I finish a book within a week or so.

message 37: by Tamra (new)

Tamra LeValley (tamral) When I am exercising on a cardio machine I read the entire time. Throughout the day I will pick up a book as often as possible.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I am still learning and disciplining my time budgeting for reading. The pattern, the seems to be developing, is 2 hours in the afternoon & 3 hours in the evening. If I can give it more time, it would be if I have extra time after running my morning errands.

message 39: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriewag) | 5 comments It varies... Depends on the quality of the book and the business of my life. I've been known to read books in a couple hours, but I often get distracted and am always in the middle of 4 or 5 books at once! :)

message 40: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Finnegan (bookexploreralyssa) I rarely read a book in a day- though I could if I wanted. Generally, you can tell how much I enjoy a book by how fast I read it. I usually read less than an hour a day unless I've got a lot of waiting around to do or a long car trip.

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wdw57) | 15 comments I love to read but most often need total silence to be able to. Then there are the books that grab you and the house could fall down and you would not know it. Those kind of books seem to be few and far between. But I like to read at least a hour a day when working( not at work lol) and hours when not. When my dog and cats leave me alone to that is

message 42: by Lissa00 (new)

Lissa00 | 48 comments I do most of my reading in the evening after the kids go to bed, usually for an hour or two. Also for short spurts during the day. I would love to have an entire day to just curl up and finish a whole book but normally it takes me 2 or 3 days.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 18 comments I can often get through most of an average sized book at work, and if I'm really into it, I will finish it at home. Kind of paradoxically, sometimes I will read only a chapter at a time of a good book to make it last longer. Biographies and other nonfiction usually take me much longer, up to several weeks.

message 44: by American Wolf (new)

American Wolf | 16 comments if its a good book like all day if i get bored with the book i uselly set it aside

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Pace (kellster86) If given the time I would read all day everyday (I have a serious addiction to books) but in all reality I read a few hours here and a few minutes there throughout the day. Depending on the book it will take me anywhere from a day to a month to read.

message 46: by Alycia (last edited Apr 26, 2013 02:35PM) (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments Lissa wrote: "I do most of my reading in the evening after the kids go to bed, usually for an hour or two. Also for short spurts during the day. I would love to have an entire day to just curl up and finish a ..."

I'm in the same boat! Although, I think if I did have a whole day to myself to read, I would probably end up sleeping. She's not a great sleeper...lol

message 47: by Shona (new)

Shona Patel (shonapatel) Depends on the book. If I get my teeth into it, I will probably stay up till the wee hours. Very rarely do I come across a book that good though. The last one like that was "Revolutionary Road" - I got into that one somehow. I used to love reading in bed but these days I am having a godawful time staying up. Getting old I think. I read a lot on sundays. Happy weekend all!
Teatime for the Firefly

message 48: by Just T (new)

Just T | 2 comments As a constant I read on my subway commute every morning to take daughter to school which is about 30 minutes each way. Then there are the short bursts I am on the train getting from one client or errand to the next. In between I try to pull out my Kindle when there is a slow 5 or 10 minutes here and there. Sometimes while I sit with my daughter while she is doing homework I will read if she doesn't need my help. But if the book is really good even while the tv is on, while I am cooking and while I'm in the powder room I'll read. I've picked a string of great books this month and it feels like I haven't put down the Kindle at all.

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (flyfishflutist) Every day, for as long as I can.. It feels like the day is incomplete if I don't read at least a little bit.

message 50: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4 comments it depends on the book, there are books i can't put down once i start reading some i can only manage a page a day, but i try to do a minimum of a chapter a day

« previous 1 3 4