The Malazan Fallen discussion

Malazan Chatter (General stuff) > Other books in a similar style that we liked

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Hello my fallen friends,

So - while we're still at it and have thousands of pages left (has anyone looked into how many pages we're actually talking about?), it always is nice to stack books.

Can you recommend other novels in the same style and quality as these?

message 2: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
10,891 pages with 3,300,026 words. Plus another 1,300,563 detailed analysis from David and Chaz.

Did you ever read Abercrombies First Law series? Awwwwweeesome!

To be honest, First Law was the first series I actually really enjoyed after finishing Malazan the first time round. I actually believe Abercrombie a better character writer than SE! There you go!

I think you'd love it.

message 3: by David (new)

David (drl2) | 41 comments I'd second the First Law trilogy. I read it recently and really enjoyed it.

message 4: by Juniper (last edited Mar 12, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments 10,891 pages with 3,300,026 words. Plus another 1,300,563 detailed analysis from David and Chaz.

Geez: the wonders this read will do for my vocabulary! As for the smashing duo... I can't imagine this place without them :)

I have heard of Abercrombie but never looked into him. By the sounds of it I should. Has he written several series, then?

I think I might love it too. Thanks guys, invaluable!

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 106 comments Lee wrote: "10,891 pages with 3,300,026 words. Plus another 1,300,563 detailed analysis from David and Chaz."

Sometimes I think we need to get out the ruler...:P

message 6: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
I'm planning to read The Blade Itself (and probably the rest of First Law) sometime in May if you're interested in a buddy read Kat.

message 7: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments i really liked the First Law trilogy. i know some find it too dark and depressing but if you're enjoying Erikson i doubt that'll be an issue.

Kat - The trilogy has three books, and then afterwards he wrote three stand-alones in the same world. they're offically stand-alone and i think you can read them like that, but if you want to full experience you have to read them in publication order.

message 8: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Rob wrote: "I'm planning to read The Blade Itself (and probably the rest of First Law) sometime in May if you're interested in a buddy read Kat."

Could well be! I'm headed to the UK again in May and it might be difficult to find the time - but yeah, maybe. Can I get back to you on that?

message 9: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Hanne > OK, cool! I figured he'd written more than three; I saw a book by him a while back on some Top-Ten-list in some random bookstore and it was somewhere among the top new releases - figured there must've been something new...

message 10: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

@Kat

No worries, it's only a tentative plan right now anyway.

message 11: by Jeruin (new)

Jeruin Aye, the First Law trilogy is excellent, although it's not near as dark and depressing (at times) as Malazan (for me).

I'd also suggest:

- Kingkiller chronicles (P. Rothfuss): Not in the same style as Erikson, but hugely enjoyable and it's quite the pageturner. The third book of the trilogy will hopefully be released in 2013.

- Gentleman Bastards serie (S. Lynch): Again, not quite the same style as Malazan, but the first book of the series (the Lies of Locke Lamora) is a must-read in my opinion. The first book is fantasy's Ocean's Eleven, the second is fantasy's Pirates of the Carribean. Well written and, again, an absolute page-turner. Book 3 is set to be released in 2013.

- The Broken Empire series (M. Lawrence). This story is dark. Very dark. It's not for everybody, and it's not nearly as complex as Malazan or ASOIAF, but it'll be an absolute joy to read if you like to root for the bad guy for once. The third book comes out in - seems to be a trend going on here - 2013.

- The Black Company series (G. Cook). Very similar to Malazan, it also follows an army doing its thing. Highly recommended.

message 12: by Gene (new)

Gene I am surprised I found Black Company by Glen Cook in 12th post. This was the series which influenced Erikson (the traces of Bridgeburners/Bonehunters can be found in there).

message 13: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

@ Evgeny, fair point. I read Black Company years ago and absolutely loved it. Compared to everything else I had read it was stunning to read a book where good and evil was utterly blurred. Thankfully we see a lot more of that blurring now. It would be interesting to revisit the series now that we have been graced with the writing skills of SE, Abercrombie etc

@ Jeruin, I have had my eye on the broken empire series for a while now. I want to fit that in this year.

message 14: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (last edited Mar 12, 2013 01:54PM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
@ Jeruin. I'm planning on doing Gentleman's Bastard in the next month or so. It's been cued in my Audible library so long now.

I enjoyed Broken Empire. The first book was very raw being a debut but the whole vibe and idea behind the book enthralled led me. The second book was a lot more polished and an even better story. No middle book blues. ant wait for the third

message 15: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

I want to do The Lies of Locke Lamora at some point this year as well, but just too much ahead of it right now.

message 16: by David (new)

David (drl2) | 41 comments I'd also second the Kingkiller books by Rothfuss. I've not yet read the others Jeruin recommends but they're officially on the radar.

By the way, kinda on topic, if you read and liked ASOIAF, there was a blog just yesterday by the author with some book recommendations if you're interested:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/316785.html

message 17: by Chaz (new)

Chaz | 297 comments @Rob I'd be up for a tentative First Law read in the early summer/late spring. I keep hearing Abercrombie recommended but not actually read any of his.

message 18: by Chaz (new)

Chaz | 297 comments Black Company is on my radar (and my Kindle) as well. I've not heard of Broken Empire before, have to check that out.

We had some discussion of Kingkiller Chronicles in the Chit Chat thread. I came down on the side of good language and a fun journey but too baggy in places and I have a nagging concern that the destination will not be satisfying.

I really enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora but haven't carried on with the series yet. I think I'll end up waiting for a few of the books to come out and read a bunch of it over a couple of months.

message 19: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Hmm. Sounds like a few people are interested. Maybe I'll make a group and put up a poll to pick a time that hopefully works for everyone.

message 20: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

Or expand spy group out.

message 21: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Mar 12, 2013 06:52PM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 59 comments Ditto on the First Law recommendation. It turn all those common fantasy tropes on its head. It's very humorous, too.

Seconding on the Lies of Locke Lamora. It is like Ocean's Eleven and James Bond on a fantasy setting with some George RR Martin's sadism thrown in for good measure.

I heard a lot of people comparing Glen Cook's Black Company with MBotF since both can be considered as military fantasy books. I already added it on my wishlist ever since.

Speaking of military fantasy, any other military fantasy books you can recommend?

I have few. Myke Cole's Control Point. It's more of a military urban fantasy about superhumans. The author is a former military so I guess he knows what he is writing about. It's very interesting.

Another one is Ian Tregillis' Bitter Seeds. Currently reading it. It is an alternate take on World War II where the Germans employed the use of genetically engineered superhumans and the British Empire with warlocks. Fluctuating between a 4 and a 5 star rating so far.

message 22: by Juniper (last edited Mar 13, 2013 02:07AM) (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments I read The Name of the Wind quite recently, and I loved it. It became a favourite immediately, the graceful writing blew my mind away. I also love Kvothe as a character. We're reading the second later this spring, and I really look forward to it.

Never heard of Gentlemen Bastard before, but 95% of my GR friends gave Lies of Locke Lamora five stars. So, I read up on it and it sounds very interesting. I also love Ocean's Eleven and Pirate's of the Caribbean. If the two first books in the series are anything like them set in a fantasy world they're a must-read!

Oh, The Broken Empire looks familiar! I have seen these covers before and considered buying the books, but not got around to it yet. Again, high ratings among my GR friends. Will definitely purchase them in a near future.

Not familiar with Black Company but will definitely look into it!

Rob & Lee > I don't see why other buddy reads couldn't be discussed there, as long as the original idea stands. We're already doing that to some extent anyway.

David > Thanks for the link to GRRM's blog! I'll definitely check it out.

Aaron > Both your recommendations sound interesting, thank you! Unfortunately I can't add to the list myself. I haven't read that much military before, but an alternate take on WWII sounds cool.

message 23: by Lori (last edited Mar 14, 2013 09:22AM) (new)

Lori I didn't like Lynch or Rothkuss and never got past the first hundred pages. I know everyone loves them.

I have meaning to read First Law and Black Company! I started Black Company but couldn't get beyond the first chapter because a much desired hold arrived at the libes.

When think of Malazan I think of books That are all consuming and I enter a dream fugue. The ones that first come to mind that I completely enter a new world

Gormenghast
Perdido Street
The Amber Chronicles

message 24: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

Perdido street station is an interesting one to add to this list. Not one I would have thought to add, but actually as I think about it, a pretty good recommendation.
World building wise it is awesome, I think Mielville takes you to a level way above Erikson does, but that comes at a price. A massive descriptive prose that can bog you down at times. But he really paints a picture.

The west-facing front of Perdido Street Station opened onto BilSantum Plaza. The plaza was thronging and beautiful, with carts and pedestrians circulating constantly around the parkland at its centre. In this lush green, jugglers and magicians and stall-holders kept up raucous chants and sales pitches. The citizenry were blithely careless of the monumental structure that dominated the sky. They only noticed its façade with offhand pleasure when the low sun’s rays struck it full on, and its patchwork of architecture glowed like a kaleidoscope: the stucco and painted wood were rose; the bricks went bloody; the iron girders were glossy with rich light. BilSantum Street swept under the huge raised arch that connected the main body of the station to the Spike. Perdido Street Station was not discrete. Its edges were permeable. Spines of low turrets swept off its back and into the city, becoming the roofs of rude and everyday houses. The concrete slabs that scaled it grew squat as they spread out, and were suddenly ugly canal walls. Where the five railway lines unrolled through great arches and passed along the roofs, the station’s bricks supported and surrounded them, cutting a path over the streets. The architecture oozed out of its bounds.

message 25: by Chaz (last edited Mar 14, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Chaz | 297 comments I made a half-hearted attempt at PSS last year and it was this kind of over-description that meant I wasn't gripped after 50 pages so when I inevitably gpt busy it got put down. Personal recommendations for it mean I will definitely make a more concerted effort when I have some more time. Still a Mieville noob here.

message 26: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Never heard of this book, but I just checked out your review on it Lee - it really reminded you of Neverwhere? I loved Neverwhere.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Mielville can definitely write 20 pages instead of a paragraph! And usually I tire fast from so much description, but this put me in a spell, the city was sensually alive, I was really there in my senses, and the characters who are wandering thru it are interesting. Just when I was getting itchy, boy the shit hit the fan. Definitely need to be in the right head space.

I just thought of 2 books more in the military vein - space opera -

the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
Compact Space by C.J. Cherryh

Both are space opera, light and easy but very smart. Loved them!

message 28: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new)

I agree Lori. Those freaking giant moths are awesomely described.

Chaz, the world is in the future where we have lost a lot of technology so life is basic. However, the medical world has advance massively and cloning and changing your body to suit your needs is the standard thing. This makes for an incredibly weird and wonderful cast of characters, people and creatures.

It is like Neverwhere on crack!

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 106 comments lol at neverwherre on crack but it is accurate!
I had a hard time wwith the middle of PSS but in the end it paid off and I was glad I read it, I loved the Scar even more

message 30: by Juniper (new)

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Sounds awesome. I have to check it out.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori The problem with The Scar is that I felt ambivalent about the leading lady, but it was also a great book. The City and The City is wonderful and I still think about it. No lengthy descriptions. Yep I'm a Mielville fangirl!

Lee, the thought of those moths still give me shivers! And what's extremely weird is that right after I finished the book, these little moths infiltrated my house, this was almost 2 years ago, and they are still here! I get great pleasure out of killing them, tracking them as they flitter in the air and then WACK I got it!

message 32: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (last edited Mar 15, 2013 05:04PM) (new)

LOL @ Lori.

There are a few things that I didn't like about PSS, the female character, Lin, I was expecting so much more of that character, I thought it a weak role. The sometimes too much info, like Maggie, I got bogged down, but speed reading can help. I wouldn't audio this, gods you'd fall asleep.
There are some great characters, Yagherek is awesome and adds a great dynamic to the story, brilliantly written and forcing you to face your own emotions. Enough said otherwise its spoiler time. The Weaver is also interesting, kind of like Kruppe on Prozak.

I have city in the city lined up in the next few months, I let y'all know if anyone is keen for a buddy up read.

I don't have The Scar, should check it out.

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori I know many get bogged down by PSS but that didn't happen to me. At the heart I think of it's a love story. Yes more could have been with Lin, ultimately she falls into the victim category.

Another fantasy I was totally enraptured with was A Winters Tale. My god can that man write exquisitely. They are making a movie of it, I don't think it can ever approach the book.

message 34: by Rob, Quick Ben (last edited Mar 27, 2013 11:35AM) (new)

@Chaz (and any others interested)

I created a group for random side group reads to use for reading the first blade trilogy (and probably some others like Words of Radiance when it comes out).

Feel free to join and post your preference on the reading schedule. Right now I'm tentatively thinking June 15th-31st for book 1, since Kat said May would be bad for her.

Group Link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/9...

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori Well damn you got me all excited, I thought WoR was about to be released! But Nov isn't bad.

message 36: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Haha. Sorry. It's just on my brain since I finished The Way of Kings this week.

I've read 2013, but haven't seen an official release date for it. I'd be happy if it came out in November.

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori I might be interested in First Law, I have wanted to read it but not sure I want another fantasy kind of similar to Malazan.

message 38: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Lori wrote: "I might be interested in First Law, I have wanted to read it but not sure I want another fantasy kind of similar to Malazan."

Well you have plenty of time to decide.

message 39: by David (last edited Mar 28, 2013 07:53PM) (new)

David (drl2) | 41 comments I'd say First Law isn't that much like Malazan - sure its fantasy and deals with war and gritty stuff. But its much different - not nearly as complex or challenging (in a good way) to read. At least imho. All that said, I really enjoyed it and read it very quickly - definitely a page turner series in my experience, and some great characters.

message 40: by David (new)

David (drl2) | 41 comments And I want to start reading The Way of Kings soon - heard nothing but good things about it. How did you like it, Rob?

message 41: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
First Law is not like Malazan. First Law world building is light and the characters are emotionally more accessible. Actually it would make a good discussion to compare Abercrombie's characterisation with Erikson. Which is better? On the one hand Erikson develops complex histories for his characters over the series and goes deep into their philosophies and motivations. But on the first read it took me a long time to feel any affinity with any of the characters. Now rereading I can really appreciate most of them and I am actually rediscovering them.
While Abercrombie's characters grabbed me straight up - but if I reread the books I don't know if I would learn much new about them other than yeah, they are badass.

Both authors are very cynical - both explore the dark depths of human nature - probably more so Erikson, but Erikson finds glimmers of hope in human nature. The good guys may eventually win but at too high a price.

While Abercrombie is more like - Human beings are basically bad but do the occasional good thing. A lot of Abercrombie's humour is based on being cynical of good deeds done with impure/selfish motives. He scoffs at the idea that the good must eventually win over evil. It's funny because it reflects real life - I think. It makes for some very unpredictable, yet very ironic, plausible and satisfying endings.

message 42: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

David wrote: "And I want to start reading The Way of Kings soon - heard nothing but good things about it. How did you like it, Rob?"

Really enjoyed it.

Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 43: by Maikel (new)

Maikel David wrote: "And I want to start reading The Way of Kings soon - heard nothing but good things about it. How did you like it, Rob?"

Agree with Rob, so please do read it ;-)
Also, compared to Sanderson's other works (Mistborn and Elantris), which I enjoyed very much, Way of Kings is on yet another level.

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori I agree!

message 45: by David (new)

David (drl2) | 41 comments ive not read the mistborn series yet either - woukd you all recommend that first, or no matter?

thanks rob I will check out your review when I'm home.

message 46: by Maikel (last edited Mar 29, 2013 03:11PM) (new)

Maikel Hm I read Way of Kings first and then the Mistborn trilogy and I think I might have been spoiled by reading WoK first. So I'd suggest to read Mistborn before WoK. Also, depending on how fast a reader you are, Stormlight Archive is so much closer to being published when you finished the trilogy ;)

message 47: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

I read Mistborn first. The final book ties everything together so well.

I don't think the order matters, but mistborn is complete, while stormlight is just getting started.

message 48: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 13 comments Mistborn first definitely. It's complete thus there is 4th book, Alloy of Law. After that, till you finish The Way of Kings you'll be at least closer to release date of 2nd book of Stormlight.

message 49: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1 comments Ladies and gents I think we need to take a step back and recognize R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series for a moment... If you like the large cast of characters, various religions, and "darker" themes then look no further than R. Scott Bakker. Plus he is also a Canadian like Steven!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Ross you're on the money mate!!!
SE threw open the doors (endorsed) R. Scott Bakker and with good reason.

The Prince of Nothing trilogy is the very best fantasy I have ever read.

Im not saying its better than Malazan,
but Im certainly not saying its worse...

« previous 1