The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Harry Potter by J.K Rowling

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Martina Vidret | 13 comments I am a huge HP fan, so I wanted to know which one is your favourite movie, character, book and what you thought of it
For me, the best movie is the chamber of secrets. I didnt love the book, but the movie was excellently done! I loved the part in the chamber.
I adore Luna. I think she is a great girl, and even if they call her Lunatic, i think she is just original and creative.
And my favourite book is the seventh one. The story of the hallows, voldemort talking with harry at the end and all the couples that ended up together.

Pilar (pilard) | 11 comments I thought the third book was the best one and it had the most clever plot of all (except for the 7th book). My favorite movie adaptations were the 3rd and the 2nd books. I felt like all the information necessary was there. I do not prefer any particular character; I prefer to see how they relate to each other.

Nelly I am also a huge Harry Potter fan! My favourite books are the 4th and the 6th - the 4th because I thought it was a really interesting plot, the 6th because of all the sexual tension between Ron and Hermione! The 6th is also my favourite movie for the same reason!
My favourite character is Ron, I just think he's so funny and I love his relationship with Hermione! I also love Fred and George for the same reason, and I love Hermione because she is clever and independent!

message 4: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia | 49 comments my favourite harry potter book is the first, its so original and childish. although its hard to choose from my favourite characters I love the depth behind Snape and how much he changes in the last 3 novels! my favourite movie is the last both part 1 and part 2. and my favourite movie character is mad eye or the twins:)

safia ☼ (deadpegasus) My favorite movie has to be Goblet of Fire. I love the plot with the wizardry "games" and I think the director did a good job portraying the scenes. :)
Favorite characters? DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE D: I love Fred and George, of course! And Severus Snape is such an emotional character. I love him. Of the trio, Hermione is probably my favorite. And I think Draco makes a great antagonist, although he wasn't really an antagonist, in my opinion. He was just a teenage boy trying to fit in his family and be what his father wants him to be: evil. A Death Eater. Kinda reminds me of Loki, actually.
My favorite book is the seventh, Deathly Hallows. I really loved this book. The story of the three brothers was excellently written (and can I say how great it was in the movies?), and Snape's memories were heartbreaking. This book was emotional and really well-written, and an awesome conclusion to the series.
Harry Potter is such a great series! It's been a part of my life for so long. :)

Laura | 62 comments I love all 7 books absolutely, but my favorites are 2, 6 and 7. I love the horror/creepy vibe to 2 and I loved how the series wrapped up in 6 and 7. I loved the whole horcrux storyline and how 2 and 6 and 1 and 7 were designed to complimented each other so well.

I honesty didn't love the movies, but thought the 5th was the best adaptation. For such a long book, I thought they condensed it well and did a great job with Umbridge.

My favorite character is Hermione, though I love Ron, Luna, Fred and George, and so many others. One of the reasons I love the Harry Potter series so much is because I was so invested in the characters and cared so much about what happened to them.

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments I love HP too! Ill never forget randomly picking it up in line at the grocery before it became insanely famous, thinking it would be a quick boring read, lol. Couldn't have been more wrong, huh?! lol.

My favorite books are the 3rd & the 7th because I love the story behind Snape & Harry's father, just as I loved the fact that everything Snape did was to protect his true love's child, I just thought that was amazing.

My favorite character is probably Luna (Loony) Lovegood. She was highly underestimated (much like me) & so much smarter & perceptive then anyone would have thought.

As for movies... well I loved the 3rd film but mostly because H. finally knocked Malfoy's lights out.
But I loved pt2 of TDH because of Snapes death scene. I admit to shedding a tear when I watched it. :)

Lauren (originally_elle) | 250 comments also, in the Goblet of Fire movie, didn't Cedric's dad just rip your heart out when he was crying over Ced's body?!? oh that was so sad too!

Joanne I love Harry Potter as well. My favourite book is the first one its where it all started. My favourite character is Ron, I love him.

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments I love Harry Potter !!! My favorite book and movie even if a lot of people don't agree with me is the 5th one. A close second is the 7th. My favorite character is Hermione and i love her with Ron.

Cathal Reynolds (khakipantsofsex) Harry Potter just wins. Snape always was and always will be my favourite character.

Cathal Reynolds (khakipantsofsex) My favourite movie is probably part 2. Favourite book is probably 3.

message 13: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 459 comments The Harry Potter series are some of my favourite books of all time. I was the lucky generation in that I was basically the same age as Harry when each book was released so it really felt like I was growing up with him.
My favourite book used to be number 3 as it was very different from the others and gave us a break from Voldemort. However the more times I've read them, the goblet of fire has pushed its way to the front as it's so exciting and there's so much going on and then of course it finishes with Voldemorts big comeback!
For the film I'd say number 5 was great as it turned what is really a long and at times difficult book into a very exciting film.
My favourite character is Ron as he is just like any typical teenage boy who feels jealousy, struggles to fit in, too shy to tell hermione how he feels and puts up with Harry's mood swings.
The last book is fantastic but I really didn't like the last chapter with them as grown ups. For me it wasn't necessary and was just cheesy. What did anyone else think?

Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments All the books, the third movie (Gary Oldman rocks!) and I love Professor Lupin.

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments Rachael wrote: "The Harry Potter series are some of my favourite books of all time. I was the lucky generation in that I was basically the same age as Harry when each book was released so it really felt like I wa..."

I think the opposite, I would have hated if she hadn't told us what happened to them. I wanted to know that they went on to live a happy life.

message 16: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Pavkovich | 22 comments My wife got me into Harry Potter when we met 13 years ago, and, now I've read more than she has had time to. Unfortunately, haven't seen the movies since Order of the Phoenix, but, definitely want to

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5200 comments I loved the Harry Potter series. I loved the books and the movies. I'm actually still kind of sad that they're over. I can't choose a favorite book or movie or even a favorite character really. I have a long list of favorites. I love Hermione, Luna is so adorable, Snape of course, Draco Malfoy - I feel so sad for him trying to live up to his family's expectations (yes, Safia, he does remind me a little of Loki!), and so many others. I thought many of the other smaller characters were wonderful as well. Yes, Elle, super sad when Cedric died...his poor dad! I think my least favorite movie is the fifth because I can't stand Umbridge, which means that she did an amazing acting job, because you're not supposed to like her. Even then, I still loved the movie, just not the character. I could go on forever. What an amazing series!

Laura | 62 comments Laura wrote: "I think the opposite, I would have hated if she hadn't told us what happened to them. I wanted to know that they went on to live a happy life. "

Agreed, Laura. I know the epilogue has its detractors but I love it. I needed to know what happened to them! And I was so glad Harry finally got the happy, stable family he always wanted. After everything he had been through, he deserved a happy, peaceful ending.

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments Laura wrote: "Laura wrote: "I think the opposite, I would have hated if she hadn't told us what happened to them. I wanted to know that they went on to live a happy life. "

Agreed, Laura. I know the epilogue h..."

Exactly :)

message 20: by Abril (new)

Abril Galván (abrilgalfer92) What could i say about Harry Potter that hasn't already been said.
I grew up with HP and discovered a magical world where friendshiip and love triumph over all evil. It wasn't just a story about a boy wizard, it was a sotry about all of us.
My favorite character, apart from the three main ones, was Sirius. i thought he was so brave and real. You could feel the love he had for Harry in every page that he was in. i also really loved Lupin.

Territadlock06 | 4 comments Laura wrote: "Laura wrote: "Laura wrote: "I think the opposite, I would have hated if she hadn't told us what happened to them. I wanted to know that they went on to live a happy life. "

Agreed, Laura. I know ..."

I wanted more than the one chapter. I would have loved a follow up book of their adult lives. I think it would have helped me say goodbye. For me , I needed closure. But maybe I just wanted her to keep writing the series. lol

message 22: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 459 comments Territadlock06 wrote: "I wanted more than the one chapter. I would have loved a follow up book of their adult lives. I think it would have helped me say goodbye. For me , I needed closure. But maybe I just wanted her to keep writing the series. lol "

Would you have wanted it from Harry's perspective or someone like Luna or Neville?

Territadlock06 | 4 comments Rachael wrote: "Territadlock06 wrote: "I wanted more than the one chapter. I would have loved a follow up book of their adult lives. I think it would have helped me say goodbye. For me , I needed closure. But mayb..."

Those are some hard choices, So now you have a layout for another book. The author could write it from all their point of view. I'd buy it.

message 24: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine (christinekinsella) | 63 comments Rida wrote: "Rachael wrote: "The last book is fantastic but I really didn't like the last chapter with them as grown ups. For me it wasn't necessary and was just cheesy. What did anyone else think?"

Aw, no I l..."

I think the author really wanted to impress on HP fans that there would be no sequel's. The series was at an end :( James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing by G. Norman Lippert is a continuation. I haven't gotten very far in it at the moment (I think I belong to too many groups! HA! HA!). But what I've read so far is pretty interesting. I think he has written 4 books so far on Harry's son, James.

Nadine | 3 comments I loved the books still reread them. - loved movie 1 and 2 with the old Dumbledore,he was the best he protrayed the Dumbledore I came to love!

Nadine | 3 comments I loved the books still reread them. - loved movie 1 and 2 with the old Dumbledore,he was the best he protrayed the Dumbledore I came to love!

Meagan | 65 comments My favorite book and movie is the Prisoner of Azkaban. I love Sirius' character. He is so love able and brave.

Meagan | 65 comments Here is my thing about Dumbledore. I liked the look if the first one and the voice of the second one.

Nadine | 3 comments The second one seems to angry for me they had it all I wrong in my opinion. Dumbledore wasn't portrayed like that in the book.

Payal | 46 comments HARRY POTTER .... il never get over this series <3
my favorite is fred and then there's obviously sirius black and snape , and i know its crazy but i cried when all of them died. i also really like luna and malfoy (or atleast tom felton :P) and for some weird reason i think bellatrix lestrange is awesome. long live the JK Rowling *_*

Megan | 29 comments Love, love, love Harry Potter! One of my absolute favorite series. JK Rowling created such a great story with so many wonderful characters. The last book made me cry, and no, I'm not generally prone to tearing up while reading. I've read them all multiple times, and will probably never get tired of them. I recommend these books to everyone I know! :)

message 32: by Sami (last edited Mar 17, 2013 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sami | 13 comments Megan wrote: "Love, love, love Harry Potter! One of my absolute favorite series. JK Rowling created such a great story with so many wonderful characters. The last book made me cry, and no, I'm not generally pron..."

Same here, I rarely cry but wept freely during the last two Harry Potter books. I read them repeatedly whenever I have time.

My favourite is the fourth, but I've read the Chamber of Secrets the most

Because I'd read the books so much, every little detail the films got wrong irked me and I ended up skipping, I don't know, the last six films :P For me the HP series ended when the seventh was released

My favourites are Harry (I'm sooo original) and Luna Lovegood.

Bianca (chaoslovesorder) I don't like the movies. I just, don't. They got hit with the Hollywood stick and I don't feel they do the books justice. That's not to say I don't actually LOVE the series. Because I do.

My favorite book is probably Prisoner of Azkaban mainly because of Sirius and Remus being in it and the series starts to get a whole lot darker here. Least favorite book? Order of the Phoenix. This is where she starts killing people off and of course I don't like the book that Sirius Black dies in.

My favorite characters are Sirius Black (as if you couldn't tell!), James Potter, Remus Lupin and Narcissa Malfoy nee Black.

My least favorite is by far Peter Pettigrew. He is disgusting and didn't deserve friendship- ever. Opportunist rat. (Literally!)

I love the series, absolutely love it and if you haven't read it you're missing out and need to get your hands on the books ASAP.

Savannah (skyswriting) It's super hard to pick just one favrotie, but 3-6 were def my most favorite. The last one was just too sad lol.

Brittany Perry | 229 comments My favorite is also POA I loved Sirius. Actually my least favorite character is Bellatrix Lestrange, because she was just a step from being Voldemort herself.

Savannah (skyswriting) I think Sirius was the first character I ever cried over losing lol, ever. Not to mention, scarred me! I am always cautious now when beginning to feel attached to a fictional character as I am reading, poor wolfie!

Laura | 62 comments I was saddened by a lot of the deaths, of course, but I absolutely wept over Dumbledore. I don't think I've ever been that upset while reading a book! I felt like I had lost a grandfather or something...

Isabel | 10 comments I'm a huge HP fan, my favourite book is the deadly hallows, i think Luna is an amazing caracter, and i can't stop seeing the Order of the phenix movie, every time is't a new first time.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Even i'm a HUGE Harry potter fan. My favorite book is Deathly Hallows (its fascinating) and all the movies are awesome....HP is a different world in itself..

Lanie Jordan (lanie_jordan) | 27 comments I loved them all, so it's hard to pick just one.

In a way, I want to say the last book/movie, because I'd been waiting years to find out how everything was going to end. But in another way, they were my least favorite books because I knew everything was going to end. LOL.

They were truly amazing books, and even though I do wish they were still going, I'm glad to have read them and will probably keep rereading them.

But I wouldn't complain at all if she wrote about them as adults! ;)

message 41: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Chris Kinsella wrote: "Rida wrote: "Rachael wrote: "The last book is fantastic but I really didn't like the last chapter with them as grown ups. For me it wasn't necessary and was just cheesy. What did anyone else think?..."

i am also a big fan of HP and i wanted so much a continuation that i decided to give James Potter a try. I am still at the first book and i like it, it 'sounds' like Harry Potter:) what makes me unhappy is that i won't have the books and see the movies or will i? what do you think?is there any hope that james potter will be turned into movies?

message 42: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawnanibert) I too was disappointed by the last chapter of Book 7, at first. I was desperate to know more about what happened to everyone. I have read the books several times now and each time I do, I appreciate the ending more.
As for favorite characters... How can anyone pick? However, I wish there would have been more about Neville. I did enjoy the comparisons between Harry and Neville about how either of them could have been the chosen one. Remember book 1 when Neville was awards points for standing up to his friends? I loved it that Neville was the one to kill the snake and make it possible for Voldemort to die. Ahh, I could go on all day.

Alyza Marie | 7 comments I am a very big fan of HP. I had my first book since I was 9 but I just ignore it. Until I am 12 and have a chance to take a look at it. I didn't know that the little boy with a messy hair, round glasses, and an oddly scar would affect my life so much. I have read all the books before I had a chance to watch it in movies.
I love all the books and the movies, the 7th almost makes me cry.
This is all about the true meaning of FRIENDSHIP, LOVE, and BRAVERY.
Words are not enough to describe how much I like this book.
I am a Certified Potterhead for almost 8 years and counting -- ALWAYS.

message 44: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Favorite books: 4th and 7th
Favorite movie: 1st and 4th
Favorite character: im not sure, probably dumbledore, or sirius black, abd hermione

I think this i a great series, hp has been a part of my life for 10 years. I remember when i was 4 years old and i wanted to watch it with my dad and older brother. Since that day i have been a huge hp fanatic. I love the books, the movies are great ( and true to the books) i have grown up with these stories and tey will be with me for the rest of my life.

message 45: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Oh wait scratch that, favorite character(s) definetly have to be fred and george they are hilarious and i love them!

Laura | 62 comments Gina wrote: "Oh wait scratch that, favorite character(s) definetly have to be fred and george they are hilarious and i love them!"

I adore Gred and Forge too!

Joanne I am a fan as well. A friend of mine told me to read them that I would love them and she was right I did. It is always a little sad when a series ends and you realize you won't be hearing from your favorite characters anymore. I love all of the characters but my favorite is Ron.

Kateryna Byednenko My favorite book is definitely The Deathly Hallows, it was so addictive. Absolutely LOVE this series!

message 49: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) Kateryna wrote: "My favorite book is definitely The Deathly Hallows, it was so addictive. Absolutely LOVE this series!"

I loved the entire series, but was disappointed in The Deathly Hallows. With all those books leading up to a final life-and-death confrontation between Harry and Voldemort, I thought the actual showdown was anti-climactic. It was over in a second.

Kateryna Byednenko Dan- Sorry to hear, i also loved all the books, i guess i just got really excited about the last one because one of them had to die and all of the action... The ending was mindblowing for me cause i really didn´t except it to turn that way, and the way J.K.R described eveything... ugh loved it :)

« previous 1 3 4