Start by marking “James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing (James Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing (James Potter, #1)

James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing

(James Potter #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  21,802 Ratings  ·  2,519 Reviews
What’s it like to be the son of the most famous wizard of all time?

James Potter thinks he knows, but as he begins his own adventure at Hogwarts, he discovers just how much of a challenge it really is to live up to the legend of the great Harry Potter. As if it wasn’t enough dealing with the delegates from the American wizarding school and figuring out the mysteriously poli
Published 2007 by G. Norman Lippert

Nikki
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is probably the most impressive piece of fan-fiction I have ever read. Writers of Jane Austen fan-fiction (of which I've read a fair amount) should take notes from G. Norman Lippert. He remains respectful of both the world and characters J.K. Rowling created while adding his own elements.

In my opinion, J.K. Rowling is an absolutely exquisite writer. While Lippert's writing style is not quite as flawless as J.K. Rowling's, he is definitely a good writer in his own right. I'm sure there are
Dyuti
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter addicts
Recommended to Dyuti by: Goodreads
Shelves: ebook, children, fantasy
I stumbled upon this book while surfing Goodreads, and trust me, I'm glad that I discovered Lippert. An American by birth, he started writing the series in 2007, after his wife and children said how much they would miss the Harry Potter series when it would soon be over. In this book, he chronicles Harry's first born James' adventures in his first year at Hogwarts.

potter

Here are a few random things which I liked/disliked about the book.

What i liked:

1. Harry Potter is back. Though as an adult, and with
Lara
So, I stumbled across this when looking at the Goodreads ebooks page and figured, why not give it a try, since it seems to have so many good reviews? And at first, it was really pretty fun. I liked the dynamic of the James/Zane/Ralph trio, and the way a couple of the mysteries were set up early on. And the writing wasn't magical, but it wasn't bad either.

Only then I felt like things kind of started to fall apart for me a little. Certain things felt...off. There seemed to be very little regard f
Elaine White
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: die hard Harry Potter fans!
Reanne
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Despite how the author and his mega-fans might want to delude themselves otherwise, this is a fanfic. One of hundreds of thousands (if not far more). He did not invent fanfic. It's been around as long as storytelling. He got a lot of press when this came out because he happened to be ignorant of the existence of fanfic, the fanfic community, and fanfic tropes, and because he wanted to toot his own horn enough to make a whole website devoted to his fanfic (as opposed to simply posting it on one o ...more
Caro
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Oh my god.

There was just no way this was going to happen. I think it started off very strongly, James living under the shadow of his father, expectations of Hogwarts, new friends. But then it just sort of lost momentum about a fourth into the book. James, quite frankly, is an idiot. I feel Mr. Lippert tried to make it not seem so because he tried to make James' motives stem from wanting to stand outside his father's shadow, but in the end, it only made James make very dumb decisions.

The thing I
Michelle
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Playing Jokers Blog: all suits of genres and bookish news

Let's judge it for what it is. It is fan fiction. It is not J.K. Rowling nor is it Harry Potter.

In some ways, it's like watching (in my opinion) the first few Harry Potter movies, where many of the details from the books were changed or omitted and you're still grappling with how Hogwarts in the movies wasn't exactly the way you had imagined it when reading the books.

James Potter is Harry's son. So it's strange to read that Harry is some y
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not a big fan of fan fiction (authors work so hard on their books not to have them copied by people who can't come up with their own ideas!) and I'm certainly not a fan of ebooks, either. So, I really didn't enjoy this book, which I had started reading in early December and took forever to finish because I found it an awkward format. But I didn't give it a low rating purely on the grounds of its format, it was more a matter of content. This novel was full of whiny drama and I would maybe rec ...more
Neil Trigger
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
I love the artwork and potential for this book and it starts professionally and promisingly, but it ends up with somewhat immature writing and ripping off Reservoir Dogs. Mr Grey, Mr Pink... I don't get it. I was lost after a few pages and couldn't be bothered to wade through the rest.

I don't normally give negative reviews because the effort of writing is such a hugely enviable one, I like to encourage it, but here are some points for improvement which I hope the author takes on board.

I get th
Mounica
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fan fiction series I have just encountered. It's about Harry Potter's oldest son, James, and takes a year before the epilogue of the Deathly Hallows and during James's first year at Hogwarts.

And, don't get the fact that it is fan fic discourage you. The book is a remarkable achievement. It's worth reading if you are done with the Harry Potter series.

I was really happy to read more about the Harry Potter world. I'm sure I will read the next book.
Adam Wilson
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am very impressed by this novel. Honestly, I can say that it is different from, but just as good as, the Harry Potter novels written by J. K. Rowling. It was well-written with new and likable characters and the format of the book was the same. It covers Harry’s son James’ first year at Hogwarts and his adventures with his friends Zane and Ralph. The adventure in this book is a little similar to the Deathly Hallows with the gathering of three relics, but it is totally unique as well. This book ...more
Rad Ryan
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book-read
Wow! I have to say I'm impressed about this book! Never would I thought I'm gonna read something HP'y again. I'm afraid that reading this book is a waste of time? Got me wrong, eh. I recommend this I think to all HP readers who want some more read of Hogwarts!
Amy Nielsen
This was very fun to read and I totally enjoyed jumping back into the world of Harry Potter. This author has to be commended...he didn't make a dime on writing this or his other Harry Potter fan-fiction sequels. He did, IMHO an excellent job and while there were times when you could tell this wasn't Rowling's work, it didn't detract at all from the story. I also don't believe in criticizing work that is created purely without financial gain so I'll refrain from delving into details that could wo ...more
Siobhan
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
I read this when it was still available as a free PDF. I wouldn't have paid for it (I know there's another pay copy of a spin off of this fan fiction).

I have nothing against fan fiction. My own has taught me so much about writing in general that I will always have a soft spot for the concept. But I would never dream of making money off my fan fics, and that's probably the first problem that I have with this fan fic. Especially as it has led to court cases on copyright infringement.

But also, too
Aimee
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
While this book isn't a Rowling, there is definitely a Potterverse feel to it. Don't go in there expecting a replica of the previous 7, but do expect to enjoy the story and some of the new characters (and a few old) that have been introduced.

Once you get through the first few chapters which are mostly inundated with Mugglisms/Americanisms, the book is quite a good read and up to the test of following Harry Potter.

Once the story got rolling I found myself downloading the next chapter immeadiately
snowgray
Gergana
Jan 20, 2016 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
DNF: 20% Read in January 27 till 28, 2016

This book is absolutely amazing!
1. The style - very similar to miss Rowling's,
2. the magical world and Hogwarts - wonderfully described, yet enough of new elements are introduced to satisfy your needs,
3. the three main characters - feel like part of Miss Rowling's world, yet, they are different from the original cast. Love that James doesn't like living in his father's shadow and that he wants to be different.
4. new twists, the story takes on a complet
Lakshmi C
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Wands

(After some serious contemplation...)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child may be the book that HAUNTS me this year. While The Deathly Hallows gave me closure, the Cursed Child ripped it apart. I read James Potter to replace these horrifying memories with something promising.

What I liked :

1 James Potter
From the start he tries to assert himself as an individual. He comes up with different ways to achieve this goal, which lets you connect with him. He was not a miniature version of The Boy Who
Leonor (Ner)
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans and those who are ardently wishing a good continuation of the saga,
Recommended to Leonor (Ner) by: Eduardo Serra
Trina (Between Chapters)
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I'm torn between 3 or 4 stars for this book (again!). It was definitely well written, and had a very similar tone and voice as the original Harry Potter series. The characters and the happenings all felt genuine. But there were a few scenes I just didn't take to - some new creatures and magical practices didn't quite feel at home in Rowling's universe, and some scenes were very talky and harder to get through so that I felt like reading was a chore at times. I was able to predict a lot of things ...more
Pam Marin
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was almost as good as the original series. The essence of the Harry Potter books was captured in this story, but with the son. The use of historical figures as well as mythological figures helps the reader connect. The story has all the intrigue build in. I got to a point that could not put it down. Great read for young adults, as well as adults. Would recommend highly
Kitty Red-Eye
This book was both an easy and a difficult read: at times I wanted to stop reading and at times I found it good. I was as big a Harry Potter fan as anyone, but I never read fanfic before, because I just didn't think it felt right, I didn't want to get my "journey" messed up with many different fictional universes - many with dubious quality, to put it nicely.

So this was my first fanfic experience. I'm in a very foreign country, learning a very foreign language and reading about complicated and
David
Most fan fiction is unreadable crap, but there are a few authors who can actually write at a professional level, or nearly so. If you like Harry Potter and the very idea of fan fiction doesn't make you turn up your nose, then this next generation story is worth reading. While I didn't like all of the elements Lippert added into the "canon" universe (the Americans and the "quantum" explanation of magic, for instance), it's otherwise very much in the same spirit as the original books.
Gillian Morag
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
The prologue was good, and so I had high hopes for a nostalgic walk through my childhood memories of reading the real Harry Potter. But unfortunately, as soon as I got into chapter one, it fell completely flat.
The writing itself was fine, the characters were fine, the continuation of the last scene front he real books was fine. But... Something wasn't right. I wondered to myself what, exactly, felt wrong with the book.
And then I realized: it was so AMERICAN. The Harry Potter books are essenti
Sarah Stevens
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I saw this book in eReads for my iPhone, I was really pleased. I thought it would be great to indulge in my love for the wizarding world with a fresh set of stories, especially since the ratings weren't half bad.

But just a few pages in and I couldn't believe how awful it was. I couldn't even make it through until the end of the second chapter, and I almost always finish a book once I've started.

First off are just the blatant incongruencies. I mean, if you are going to do a Potter continuat
Gabbo Parra
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Víctor Arturo Mercado Fernández
Comencé este libro con una idea muy clara en la mente: no estaba leyendo a J. K. Rowling. Así que supongo que esto influyo en el confuso inicio de este fan-fic (fan’s fiction). Al principio me costó trabajo iniciarlo, pero en la medida que iba avanzando en la lectura me empecé a sumergir en la absorbente trama y me costaba trabajo dejar de leerlo.

Es un libro que respeta puntualmente el estilo de J. K. Rowling, pero que le da su propio toque. Si bien pueden criticarse algunas pequeñas libertades,

Tori
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
So I ran into this online. (I think I actually saw it mentioned on GoodReads) and I am a HUGE Harry Potter dork.
I started reading this and literally felt dirty for the first 20 pages, so I stopped. I felt as if I was betraying Rowling. However, I looked this book up on wiki and apparently Rowling tried to stop the production of this and then talked with the author and gave her blessing as long as it is promoted as fan fic. But that's wiki..who knows if that is true.
So I picked up where I left
Danny Phanton
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Leído para el 2015 Reading Challenge. #44. Escrito en otro idioma.

Reseña completa en mi blog: La cueva de Danny.

Un poco lento al principio pero conforme va avanzando se pone cada vez mejor, para ser un fanfic esta bien escrito y bien desarrollado. Se los recomiendo.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I didn't get very far in this book. I don't really read fan-fiction, in general, but heard so much hype about this, and it was a free download, so I thought I'd give it a chance. But I couldn't get into it.

One thing I liked is that Muggle-borns actually talk about growing up in the Muggle world, and things like video games and computers existing.

But there were a lot of weird little incongruities that kept bugging me. In relation to the thing I just mentioned, yes, it's all well and good to talk
The Free Readers: Thoughts, reviews and discussion: James Potter 3 18 Jan 15, 2015 06:43AM
Describe Your Magic School 3 19 Jan 02, 2015 10:37AM
Help to Find a Book 1 18 Aug 17, 2014 08:55PM
Where do I find it? 13 175 Jun 08, 2014 03:31PM
I CAN'T FIND THESE BOOKS ANYWHERE! 24 157 Jan 09, 2014 05:54PM
Anybody else not like this part of the series 2 45 Nov 22, 2013 10:54AM
  • James Potter and The Bolt of Ages
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-By-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Beasts of New York
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
  • The Naked Quidditch Match
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

James Potter (5 books)
  • James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper (James Potter, #2)
  • James Potter and the Vault of Destinies (James Potter, #3)
  • James Potter and the Morrigan Web (James Potter, #4)
  • James Potter and the Crimson Thread (James Potter, #5)
“Cedric smiled and sat back again. 'You only think that because you think heroes always win. Trust me on this one, James. A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.” 69 likes
“Enjoy your ignorance while you can.” 50 likes