The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Claire's 2013 challenge

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire Fun (clairefun) Hi! I'm a little late to join but wanted to anyway - I'm sort of keeping track & commenting on the Goodlreads challenge page but here seems a better place to do it...

I've challenged myself to 100 books this year and am so far 25% done (at 25 books, obviously). I've never tracked my books for a full year, despite being a goodreads member since 2007, so I've no idea how many books I usually read in a year. I *am* making a conscious effort this year, though!

Books read so far :
1. The Testimony by James Smythe, 362 pages.
2. The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian, 628 pages.
3. Invocation, Book I by Jo L. Walton, 90 pages. (the previous book had made me get behind so I read some short ones to catch up with my progress!)
4. The City: A Short Story by A.M. Halkyard, ooh no page numbers, but the hint is in the title...
5. The B-Team by John Scalzi, 93 pages - the first episode of 13, released weekly, that will make up his next novel.
6. Reality Check by David Brin, 6 pages!
7. The Hunter by Chris Carter, 80 pages
8. The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell, 225 pages
9. The Fallen by Jack Ziebell, 200 pages.
10. Walk the Plank by John Scalzi, 32 pages (episode 2).

11. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks, 352 pages
12. Gone by Michael Grant, 558 pages.
13. Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden, 293 pages
14. Hunger by Michael Grant, 612 pages (second in series started with book 12).
15. The Eden Project: Humanity's Last Chance by D.P. Fitzsimons, 238 pages.
16. The Passage by Justin Cronin, 914 pages.
17. The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method by Allen Carr, 224 pages (but I read bits of it more than once, and stopped reading anything else for about a week...and am now 32 days smoke free and counting!)
18. Reign: Genesis by Jeffrey Wergin, 365 pages
19 Unwind by Neal Shusterman, 335 pages
20. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, 313 pages (and my first tree-book rather than e-book of the year!)

21. The Whispering Tombs by Gayle Ramage, 51 pages
22. Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson, 372 pages.
23. Divergent by Veronica Roth, 501 pages.
24. The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton, 327 pages.
25. Insurgent by Veronica Roth, 525 pages (second in series to book 23 and also second paperback of 2013).

Book 25 was finished yesterday!

So far favourites have been The Children's Hospital, The Eden Project: Humanity's Last Chance, The Passage, Unwind, The Fault in Our Stars, and Divergent. I've read some great books so far!

Next up? Either The Maze runner, under the dome, or city of bones...

message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Baugher | 2 comments This is pretty awesome! I could never do this with my college workload thought :/ good luck!

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire Fun (clairefun) Thanks! No, my college workload nearly killed my reading habit (apart from dry old psych or programming books) but thankfully that's all far behind me ;)

I'm sllllooooowwwwly reading 'Under The Dome' by Stephen King - 877 pages! Eek!

message 4: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 332 comments Claire wrote: "Thanks! No, my college workload nearly killed my reading habit (apart from dry old psych or programming books) but thankfully that's all far behind me ;)

I'm sllllooooowwwwly reading 'Under The D..."

You can do it!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Great list. What did you think of World War Z? I refuse to see the movie but I thought the book was good. I listened to it on audio and I think that helped with the different voices.
Under the Dome same thing. I can't read books that long, I tend to lose focus. It's read by an actor I like, and he does AN AMAZING JOB of narrating all the characters so it's really enjoyable and actually doesnt' seem like it's 34 hours long. I really liked Before I go to Sleep too. That was a great mystery. I have Fault in our Stars on my TBR list, so I hope this year. I'm nervous because I know I'll cry I already know so I have to psych myself up for that.

message 6: by Jude (new)

Jude (jude911) | 4 comments Oh yes, Fault in our stars WILL make you cry and cry, but it is so beautiful it is so worth it. I normally avoid such books like the plague, but I hadn't really read a preview (luckily) so I plunged in... glad I did!
Jude