Start by marking “The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda #1)” as Want to Read:
The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda #1)

The Andromeda Strain

(Andromeda #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  199,424 ratings  ·  3,149 reviews
The United States government is given a warning by the pre-eminent biophysicists in the country: current sterilization procedures applied to returning space probes may be inadequate to guarantee uncontaminated re-entry to the atmosphere. Two years later, seventeen satellites are sent into the outer fringes of space to collect organisms and dust for study. One of them falls ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Avon Books (first published September 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Andromeda Strain, please sign up.
Seaby Brown None what so ever... and no reason to recommend it to anyone. I read it as a 13 year old and even then recognized it as hack writing on a schedule.…moreNone what so ever... and no reason to recommend it to anyone. I read it as a 13 year old and even then recognized it as hack writing on a schedule. Poor man must have been given a deadline by his publisher... cause this book is terrible.

The biological "science" is totally dead wrong. Micro organisms simply can't behave in this manner, period.(less)
Alexander Vineyard I would say it's mildly thrilling. If you want a thriller, go with Jurrassic Park, or read nearly anything Steven King. If you can get through an…moreI would say it's mildly thrilling. If you want a thriller, go with Jurrassic Park, or read nearly anything Steven King. If you can get through an epic, I highly recommend The Stand. Also Fear or Final Blackout by Hubbard are great thrillers.(less)

·  199,424 ratings  ·  3,149 reviews

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
The writing was drier than a cracker in the desert...

But I loved the book anyway!

It definitely reads like a scientific/army report but this was such an interesting twist on the classic sci-fi (first contact?). I only recommend it if you already love sci-fi and diseases apocalyptic books.

Left me wanting more... I'll definitely read more from the author!
Lyn
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nine years before Stephen King’s heavy, genre defining smackdown novel The Stand, intelligent tall guy Michael Crichton quietly blew people away with his own hard science Big Bang Theory epidemic story.

Similar to Andy Weir’s brilliant 2011 mega success The Martian, this is hard science fiction told by an actual scientist. But whereas Weir stepped it down for the rest of us with some laugh out loud humor, the good Dr. Crichton put his best bedside manner forward and patiently explained his biolog
Annette
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it
liked the beginning, thought the end was unbelievably anticlimatic.
Nayra.Hassan
الأزمة هى الموقف الذي تتحول فيه♨
مجموعة من الظروف المقبولة إلى ظروف غير مقبولة بتاتا ؛ذلك بعد اضافة عامل معين
وسلالة اندروميدا هي الازمة البيولوجية الاولى..هكذا يجذبنا كريشتون الطبيب-الاديب لراءعته في الخيال العلمي
Screenshot-2018-10-24-14-41-35-1
هي السيناريو الذي يتوقعه علماء عصرنا لأوبئة الالفية الجديدة

الخلية اندروميدا هبطت من الفضاء لتنشر الوباء في الأرض ..
هنا سنغرق في البذلات العازلة و صناديق القفازات ✒
و الجدران الزجاجية و الايد الميكانيكية
و كل ما هو مذهل في عام 1969 مغلف بطابع علمي ثقيل احيانا

وهنا التنبوء الذي اتضح انه
Alejandro
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is a good example that sometimes the rating that one gives to one book isn't fault itself of the book but due the timing of when you read it in relation with having read other books of the same author.

All that long introduction is to explain that my very reason to give only 3 stars to this very good book is because I happened to read it after of reading Sphere (see review of that book: HERE), that I find quite similar in the general premise.

Both books have the calling of a expert scien
Paul O'Neill
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's a good story in here, somewhere. If Crichton tackled this idea later in his career it would have undoubtedly been a great book. There's just far too much science and not enough thriller.
Joe Valdez
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sixth novel by Michael Crichton but the first published (in 1969) under his own name and the first in which he bent science fiction and suspense together in ways that would propel Crichton to the top of the bestseller lists and into cinemas for the next thirty years, The Andromeda Strain didn't retain many surprises for me, but in its own delightful way, reminded me of a science and technology museum exhibit and the docent giving me a tour: "And here we have a pioneering thriller of technolo ...more
Dennis
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last night Trish and I watched the 1971 Robert Wise movie. And while I did like it better than the first time round, I still prefer Crichton's book.

This might be due for a re-read and a proper review in 2019.

In short, a returning space probe brings something with it that instantly kills almost all the people in the small town nearest to the landing site. But what is it? And why are there two survivors?

A team of scientists is put into the Wildfire installation, a zero contaminant facility that's
Russ
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientists
Shelves: 2007, thriller, novel
This book is all about the tension, not the payoff.

As with most entertainment, this book pulls you in by asking some questions. "What is it?" "How does it work?" "What happened?" While those questions are still being asked, this book is a fairly thrilling read.

If you don't like books that get too technical about things, though, this isn't the book for you. It's full of pages from government documents, computer readouts, and the like. That only helps the book go by quicker, because I just skippe
Apatt
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-80s-sf
“Recent theoretical considerations suggest that sterilization procedures of returning space probes may be inadequate to guarantee sterile reentry to this planet's atmosphere. The consequence of this is the potential introduction of virulent organisms into the present terrestrial ecologic framework.”

That quote represents the basic concept of The Andromeda Strain quite well. A more sensational - and rather crude - short description may be “Bacteria from outer space”, but this makes it seems like a
Toby
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Andromeda Strain, Michael Crichton's contagion procedural, has more in common with Sjowall & Wahloo's Roseanna than anything created by anybody widely associated with the science fiction genre but the biological investigation by Stone, Leavitt et al is most assuredly science fiction and most importantly a fascinating account of how an extraterrestrial bacteria might react to human beings and how human beings might react in return.

It's a methodical, slow burn thriller that's heavy on the
Jason Parent
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if this book is a 4 or 5, but I think I liked it more on second reading. It is really engaging, heavy on the science, which for the most part, great added to the authenticity of the novel. On rare occasions, (view spoiler), the science is burdensome.

The story is a slow burn, building tension over the co
Terry
Perhaps I'm influenced too much by my nostalgic love of the feel of '70's and '80's sci-fi and horror, but I did enjoy this. I'd watched the old movie many years ago, so there were no surprises, but I enjoyed it anyway. It helps that I read this as a real possible event as well, as I think it's highly possible that it will happen (or has already). Great classic sci-fi, in my opinion.
Joe
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Scientists! Making things happen! Getting called out of their homes in the middle of the night! Rigorously sanitizing every inch of their bodies! Looking over ascii-image printouts! Performing exhaustive tests! Debating theories of exobiology! And it's a total blast!

Michael Crichton made microorganisms scary and cool for the masses with science that isn't laughable 40 years later. Is it any wonder that when he got his hands on dinosaurs he set the entertainment industry on fire?

Worth noting tha
Michael Jandrok
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it’s nostalgia time again as I once more take a trip down memory lane to rediscover one of the books that I read in my formative years. This installment of “Books That Mike Read As A Kid That Made Him Into the Nerdy Adult He Is Today” is brought to you by Tang, the official drink of the astronauts!

I probably first read “The Andromeda Strain” when I was about 12 years old. I had seen the 1971 movie version of the story several times by then, but I had never tackled the book. But both the mo
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
3 stars. I’m sure in 1969 this was cutting edge, but it doesn’t quite stack up in 2018, either in terms of suspense, science, or inclusivity. This book fails the Bechdel test so hard, it reminds me of why the Bechdel test was invented. The only women I can remember are a switchboard operator, a nurse, and a (literally, I can't make this up) recorded voice that is described as sensual, almost sexy, UNTIL the male hearer realizes it belongs to a woman in her sixties, at which point he presumably l ...more
Tom Quinn
I've shared this before and am never hesitant to cop to it: I grew up with an outsized fear of germ warfare. By my youth, the nuclear scare was winding down and just about over so I never feared death by atomic fire from above. But I did fear death from biological agent. Anthrax. Weaponized smallpox. Germ warfare. And I read The Andromeda Strain when I was young, possibly too young. I was in third grade when Jurassic Park hit theaters which led me to Crichton by way of my parents, who checked ou ...more
Richard
This was probably one of the first science fiction books I ever read, and so far the only book by Crichton. My rating is based on my reaction over three decades ago -- I seem to recall there were some parts that felt awkward, like they were written by someone trying to leap across the so-called "generation gap". But my teen self loved the book, so it gets the five stars. I have no idea whether I'd still feel as generous if I were to re-read it, but then I seldom re-read books anyway.

The movie wa
AH
This is a review of the audiobook.
I first read The Andromeda Strain way back when I was about 12 years old or so. Back then the YA genre wasn't available for us precocious readers so we graduated from Nancy Drew straight to Stephen King, Micheal Crichton and the like.
There is nothing scarier than something we cannot see. Add in some alien elements and it becomes even scarier. Alien virus from outer space - freaky.
The audio version was not as good as the book, nor was it as good as the movie f
MightyA
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At least 4.25 stars, IMO. Great story format, superb writing, lots of character developments, yet still interesting enough to keep me on the book the whole time, even the background info of each scientist. To top it off. an excellent audio performance just make the whole experience the more exciting.
scrillla
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Such an expertly written book. You can tell Crichton has a background in medicine from some of the terminology he uses, the knowledge of biology is uncanny! Definitely makes the book unique in context to any others I have read. The cover and use of the galaxy name Andromeda in the book draws Sci-fi readers towards it definitely. I know this for a fact because I wouldn't of even gotten the book if it didn't have the cool cover of the earth and numbers matrix style and the space title.

The plot of
Tommy Carlson
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read The Andromeda Strain back in my youth and had fond memories of it. So, I recently grabbed an eBook version to revisit it. I'm not exactly sure from where the fond memories came. It's not that great a book. On the positive side, there are few female characters so Crichton's misogynistic streak is mostly absent, but that's about it.

Dialogue is sparse and flat. Characters aren't much better. Crichton seems more intent on showing off his research than about telling a compelling story. The who
Peter Monn
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not as good as his others but since it was one of his first it’s a must read. A full review will be upnon my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Melissa McShane
Having recently read a very disappointing Michael Crichton book, I decided to go back to one of my all-time favorites. I think Crichton is at his best here; the conceit that this book is a report on a real scientific and biological crisis is fantastic, and he sticks to it so completely I remember wondering, as a teen when I first read if, if any of it were true.

Crichton was not a master of characterization, but here, it doesn't matter. There are enough character details to keep the men at the ce
Asghar Abbas
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
An unassuming start to an illustrious career of an author who was an innovator at core.
Not the first book he published but the first novel where he didn't use a pseudonym. He previously published novels under the name John Lange and Odds On was MC's first novel and he would continue to write as Lange even after the success of Andromeda Strain; his SIXTH novel. Wow
You know, as a med student he started his writing career to supplement his income. Nowadays it's the opposite, doctors publish books
Roz
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2019
I didn’t expect to like this so much considering the last Crichton novel I read I hated with a passion. It’s nowhere near as amazing as Jurassic Park, but still a good read I finished in an afternoon.

If you’re looking for a fast read filled with science talk and the blandest characters ever, then this book is for you.
Ali (the bandar blog)
Note to self: Next time, remember that you don't like books that involve medicine. That took a whole 2 stars off for me.

Definitely fun infectious disease story, though I wish there had been more about the outbreak and less about the science behind it.
Kaph
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
So I decided to give Crichton another go. I was optimistic. There is no movie of this one (as far as I’m aware) and I do enjoy a good space epidemiology premise. What can I say? I was right, solid 3. Also, look up ‘page-turner’ in a reputable dictionary and you will be directed to this book. Bloody impossible to put down, almost irritatingly so. I read the last chapters in a kind of frustrated mania, aware I had things to do but also accepting of the fact that they were not getting done until I ...more
Efka
Moksline fantastika čia, priešingai nei teigia anotacijoje, nelabai net kvepia. Nepaisant to, knyga visai nebloga. Taip, ji iš tiesų labiau primena mikrobiologijos vadovėlį, bet kažkaip šiuo atveju man tai panašiau į pliusą, o ne į minusą. Neturiu jokių priekaištų, gal nebent išskyrus tai, kad galėjo būti daugiau dramos ir/ar veiksmo. Nes dqabar realiai gavosi "atėjau, pamačiau, pasislėpiau laboratorijoj, nugalėjau". Knyga trumpa ir smagi, turėtų patikt daug kam.
Georgia
Το blog μου: https://cherrybookreviews.wordpress.com/2018/06/27/review-%CF%83%CF%84%CE%AD%CE%BB%CE%B5%CF%87%CE%BF%CF%82-%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%B4%CF%81%CE%BF%CE%BC%CE%AD%CE%B4%CE%B1-%CE%B1%CF%80%CF%8C-%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%BD-michael-crichton/

Ένας κατασκοπευτικός δορυφόρος των ΗΠΑ φέρνει στην γη έναν άκρως επικίνδυνο και θανατηφόρο εξωγήινο ιό. Μια ομάδα επιστημόνων διαφόρων ειδικοτήτων συγκεντρώνεται στο μυστικό κυβερνητικό εργαστήριο που βρίσκεται θαμμένο κάπου στην έρημο της Νεβάδα με σκοπό να αναλύσει το
Which was Cricton's best book? apart from the andromeda strain 141 521 Oct 28, 2018 09:01PM
Book Review 1 4 Apr 30, 2018 09:58AM
Play Book Tag: The Andromeda Strain - Michael Crichton 2/5 4 13 Jul 30, 2017 08:11PM
Around the Year i...: The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Cricton 1 12 Jul 02, 2017 11:31AM
Shepherd Center B...: May 18 - The Andromeda Strain 2 1 May 18, 2017 02:20PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Fantastic Voyage
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)
  • The Cobra Event
  • Job: A Comedy of Justice
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 4: The Minority Report
  • Protector (Known Space)
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon (Wyman Ford #1)
  • The Abyss
  • Who Goes There? and Other Stories
  • When Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1)
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Dougla ...more

Andromeda (2 books)
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
“The rock, for its part, is not even aware of our existence because we are alive for only a brief instant of its lifespan. To it, we are like flashes in the dark.” 32 likes
“Human intelligence was more trouble than it was worth. It was more destructive than creative, more confusing than revealing, more discouraging than satisfying, more spiteful than charitable.” 25 likes