Christian Fiction Fans discussion

Book Recommendations > What is your favorite Christian book and why?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennah (new)

Jennah (strawberryblonde) My favorite Christian book (besides the Bible) would be "Elsie Dinsmore series." Because Elsie wanted to please her Lord no matter what the cost, and she tried her very hardest to do that. She also wanted her father's love so bad. Even though he didn't love her, she realized that she had her Heavenly Father that she could turn too, when her own earthly father wouldn't love her. She had so much faith even at such a young age, and we should all want that faith. We should strive to want to please our Lord and Savior no matter what the cost because He died on the cross for our sins so that one day we can be with Him in heaven if we believe in our Lord and Savior. I can relate to Elsie Dinsmore because I want my own earthly father to love me and I also want to put my trust in my God and let go of my life and put it in His hands.

message 2: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn (authorgirlev) Joseph by Terri L. Fivash by Terri L. Fivash. READ IT and you'll see why it's my most favorite book of ALL TIME!

Okay, fine, I'll tell you right here.

Fivash does an AMAZING job of elaborating the tradintional story of Joseph from the Bible. She did her homework on the Egyptian culture, for sure. I just can't describe it accurately! It's incredible!

I'm gonna say it again: READ IT! I HIGHLY recommend it!

message 3: by Jake (new)

Jake Yaniak My favorite Christian book would have to be the Theologia Germanica; when it comes to fiction, however, Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis comes to mind.

message 4: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Havel (chch) | 43 comments In the nonfiction category, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

message 5: by Niyah (new)

Niyah E3 | 1 comments Hangman's Curse by Frank E. Peretti!! It's absolutely amazing!!!! I have read it four times and recommend it to anyone!!!!!

message 6: by Ms Bridget (new)

Ms Bridget (obridget2) Do I have to pick just one?!?! lol

Well, although the books I have read by Frank Peretti & Ted Dekker were amazing..and I loved the messages in them...I think my #1 Favorite would have to be Monster by Frank Peretti ....It was just amazing how he used the "Monster" to teach each person who they were...by the end of the book I was so taken away by the book. I really don't remember each detail of the book but I just remember LOVING it by the end..but throughout the book, I would get a bit bored..then something would happen right before I would decide to put it down..And I would keep reading...That was nobody but God I think trying to keep me reading to teach me what it was that I needed to learn at that time..I dont remember what it wasnow> but I remember it opening my eyes about something...lol :-)

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Letter Perfect Letter Perfect (California Historical Series #1) by Cathy Marie Hake by Cathy Marie Hake brought me into the world of Christian fiction. The novel has it all! Suspense, mystery, humour (I laughed out loud...awkwardly alone in my room, LOL) and romance not to mention good Christian values!
Hake became my favorite author and this novel made Christian Historical fiction my favorite genre.
It's a wonderful novel; I re-read it often! :)

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brink (bikerbabs) | 6 comments I don't think I can have just one favorite but After Anne After Anne (Coming Home to Brewster, #1) by Roxanne Henke by Roxanne Henke would have to be way up there.
It was just such a terrific story about friendship between two women who probably would never have been friends under any other circumstances, but God brought them together and they ended up being exactly what the other needed. And yes, it was a tear jerker at times, but there was also humor and realistic conversations about faith that didn't sound forced. It's definitely a 5 star novel.

message 9: by Mesu (new)

Mesu | 34 comments Evelynn wrote: "Joseph by Terri L. Fivash by Terri L. Fivash. READ IT and you'll see why it's my most favorite book of ALL TIME!

Fivash does an AMAZING job of elaborating t..."

I'm ordering this RIGHT NOW!! Looks like you and I have the same passion for biblical novels, Evelynn! ;) Can't wait to read Joseph by Terri L. Fivash by Terri L. Fivash!

message 10: by Liam (new)

Liam Perrin (liamperrin) | 5 comments Can I name two if they're both by the same author? :) C.S. Lewis's The Great Divorce and his Space Trilogy because of his descriptions of places untainted by sin. If you're only familiar with Narnia, I highly recommend checking out Lewis's other works of fiction. As good as it is I honestly think Narnia isn't his best.

Liam

Liam Perrin, Author, Sir Thomas the Hesitant

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat | 4 comments Kisses from kaitie by kaitie Davis. The best, can't even compare to any book I've read.

message 12: by Wm. Scott (new)

Wm. Scott Conway (wsconway) | 2 comments The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia #1-7) by C.S. Lewis

No contest. This book has shaped my theology more than any other Christian book outside the Bible.

Honorable mentions go to...

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis The Screwtape Letters  by C.S. Lewis

A thousand more honorable mentions could be bequeathed. But I shall digress.

message 13: by LAWonder10 (new)

LAWonder10 | 3 comments Crossing Values by Carrie Daws is a great novella! It is an uplifting, well-written story of despair, tragedy, Christlike individuals and selfless love and service. There is also romance and forgiveness included.
Short, steady flowing and a truly, inconceivably great story!

message 14: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Evelynn wrote: "Joseph by Terri L. Fivash by Terri L. Fivash. READ IT and you'll see why it's my most favorite book of ALL TIME!

Fivash does an AMAZING job of elaborating t..."

Completely agree with you! Loved loved loved this book so mcch that I read it every year once! I know silly but just love the way the characters come to life!

message 15: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Hmm something went wrong here but I STILLLL AGREEEE WITH YOU. Fabulous book: Joseph.

message 16: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments My AL timer is probably From Francine River Amazing Love. Anybody read it?

message 17: by Evelynn (last edited Apr 08, 2013 08:52PM) (new)

Evelynn (authorgirlev) Mesu wrote: "I'm ordering this RIGHT NOW!! Looks like you and I have the same passion for biblical novels, Evelynn! ;) Can't wait to read by Terri L. Fivash!"

Yay! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :D And yes, I do have quite the passion for Biblical novels... ^_^

Luisette wrote: "Completely agree with you! Loved loved loved this book so mcch that I read it every year once! I know silly but just love the way the characters come to life!"

I know right?! I'm rereading it for the third time...and loving it as much as I did the first two times!

message 18: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn (authorgirlev) Luisette wrote: "My AL timer is probably From Francine River Amazing Love. Anybody read it?"

Do you mean Redeeming Love? I haven't read it yet, but I'm hoping I'll get to it soon!

message 19: by Mesu (new)

Mesu | 34 comments Luisette wrote: "Evelynn wrote: "Joseph by Terri L. Fivash by Terri L. Fivash. READ IT and you'll see why it's my most favorite book of ALL TIME!

Fivash does an AMAZING job ..."

I just received it in the mail, and I'll read it right after This Scarlet Cord by Joan Wolf by Joan Wolf. After hearin both you and Evelyn rave over it...I'm REALLY curious!!! ;)

message 20: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Sanford (lauriesanford) | 5 comments My favorite is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, as well. It's the only book I've read three times and still love like the first time. She does such a good job of depicting agony, brokenness, and then completion in accepting Christ's love. It's amazing.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I have so many favorites that it's hard to pick one, but one of my favorite authors is Janette Oke, and I especially love her Love Comes Softly series. :)

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee Wm. Scott wrote: "The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia #1-7) by C.S. Lewis

No contest. This book has shaped my theology more than any other Christian book outside the Bible.

Honorable mentions go to...

[bookcover:The Cost of D..."

CS Lewis is a fantastic author!

message 23: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Evelynn wrote: "Luisette wrote: "My AL timer is probably From Francine River Amazing Love. Anybody read it?"

Do you mean Redeeming Love? I haven't read it yet, but I'm hoping I'll get to it soon!"

Yes! that is the book I meant. Did you get it? I read it for the first time in the ninetees I thing. Just a good book. If I ever can grow to write like that....keep dreaming Luisette.

message 24: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) I would have to agree with Liam and Wm. Scott: my favorite Christian books are by C. S. Lewis. The Narnia series, the Space series and The Great Divorce are all favorites of mine.

message 25: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 3 comments Well, I'm a little partial, but I just published my debut novel, Shattered Rose. Shattered Rose

I'd love for you to check out the details including a free sample download at www.shatteredrose.com

I am a huge fan of Francine Rivers and Karen Kingsbury. The Mark of the Lion series is my absolute favorite.

message 26: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn (authorgirlev) @Luisette: I have Redeeming Love, it's on my shelf, waiting. ^_^

@Mesu: Yes, I love Joseph! I'm so excited you're going to read it! Let me know what you think when you've finished!

@Tammy: I agree, the Mark of the Lion trilogy is incredible too!

message 27: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 3 comments Sorry everyone, just realized the website was incorrect.

Its www.shatteredrosebook.com

There is a free sample download as well as a book trailer. Shattered Rose (Winsor #1) by T.L. Gray

message 28: by Austin (new)

Austin (premo316) | 4 comments Hello, I'm new to this group. My favorite Christian author is Joel C. Rosenberg, author of The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, The Copper Scroll, Dead Heat, The Twelfth Imam, The Tehran Initiative, and The Damascus Countdown.

I really can't select one book of his that I like.

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane Estrella (dianeestrella) Days Like These: Even In The Darkest Moments, Light Can Shine Through By Kristian & Rachel Anderson
http://dianeestrella.com/days-like-th...

I have to say, the last two chapters undid me. Totally, wrecked me! I COULDN’T stop crying. Anyone that has been touched by cancer can relate.

message 30: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Laurie wrote: "My favorite is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, as well. It's the only book I've read three times and still love like the first time. She does such a good job of depicting agony, brokenness, and ..."

This is so completely true! I think I might have read it 5 times though...:)

message 31: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Austin wrote: "Hello, I'm new to this group. My favorite Christian author is Joel C. Rosenberg, author of The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, The Copper Scroll, Dead Heat, The Twelfth Imam, The Teh..."

I heard only amazing stories about him and his books. One of our bookclubs did the Last Jihad but I could not be there during that time! Missed it. Should put it on my list to read. (When I figure out how to do it on Goodreads....God bless. luisette

message 32: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Austin wrote: "Hello, I'm new to this group. My favorite Christian author is Joel C. Rosenberg, author of The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, The Copper Scroll, Dead Heat, The Twelfth Imam, The Teh..."

Hey you are knew? me too. Friends?

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Wells | 2 comments My favorite Christian book by far has to be the Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. At the end of the first book I literally threw the book across the room hahahaha. It was seriously amazing. I long to have Hadassah's faith. I definitely recommend it!

message 34: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Havel (chch) | 43 comments Luisette wrote: "Laurie wrote: "My favorite is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, as well. It's the only book I've read three times and still love like the first time. She does such a good job of depicting agony, b..."

Definitely a classic that will stand the test of time.

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Wells | 2 comments Carlene wrote: "Luisette wrote: "Laurie wrote: "My favorite is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, as well. It's the only book I've read three times and still love like the first time. She does such a good job of d..."

"Redeeming Love was the first book I read of Francine Rivers- I loved it so much I looked for others which led me to the Mark of the Lion- she has a great way of telling a story and keeping you vested in the characters! When I started writing she was the first person I contacted for help!"

message 36: by Luisette (new)

Luisette Kraal (luisettekraal) | 11 comments Anyone read Sophia's Marriage by Luisette Kraal? THis book changed my life. Trying to find words to shape a book about long suffering in a difficult marriage and have an prayerful hear...that was difficult. Try it and let me know!

message 37: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn (authorgirlev) Kristen wrote: "My favorite Christian book by far has to be the Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. At the end of the first book I literally threw the book across the room hahahaha. It was seriously amazin..."

I was ready to do that to A Voice in the Wind too! And I didn't have the next book handy, and I wasn't at home! As soon as I got home I grabbed An Echo in the Darkness and started reading. Love that trilogy.

message 38: by Mesu (new)

Mesu | 34 comments Evelynn wrote: "Kristen wrote: "My favorite Christian book by far has to be the Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. At the end of the first book I literally threw the book across the room hahahaha. It was ..."

Y'all are speaking my language for sure!!!! I read Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion Series OUT LOUD to my Jr. High daughters in 2000, and because it was soooo good, they were spell-bound. Amazing books, all of them.

message 39: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Havel (chch) | 43 comments Mesu wrote: "Evelynn wrote: "Kristen wrote: "My favorite Christian book by far has to be the Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. At the end of the first book I literally threw the book across the room h..."

You have an unusual name - Mesu - which makes me wonder if you are the author of "Love in a Broken Vessel"? I started reading it last night and I'm already in love with it.

message 40: by Mesu (new)

Mesu | 34 comments Carlene wrote: "Mesu wrote: "Evelynn wrote: "Kristen wrote: "My favorite Christian book by far has to be the Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. At the end of the first book I literally threw the book acro..."

Haha! Yep, that's me. ;) I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have questions along the way! ;)

message 41: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Barenfanger | 3 comments My favorite book is by a little known author named Patty Metzer. Lights of the Veil It's a beauifully written book which I have read about seven times. I have read so many books that they all began to sound alike.But this one took my breath away with the beatific descriptions, and the oh-so-real spiritual depression which encompasses where the plot is set--India. But the hope in the story is tangibly woven throughout every page. This book was different than many others I have read. Herman Melville once said to "Have a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme". This book has a mighty theme.

message 42: by Lena (new)

Lena I love too many to say! But if I had to pick, I would say The Eagle and the Lamb The Eagle And The Lamb because it is historical Christian fiction talking about God's faithfulness, and about bringing non-believers home to Jesus.

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Hewitt (khnovels) | 1 comments Snow by Kathryn Hewitt by Kathryn Hewitt

Today's headlines in a fiction novel.
Based on a true story, "Snow" is a novel filled with the controversial topics of abortion, God, teen pregnancy, and even rape.
4.38 rating on Goodreads and 4.5 rating on Amazon, this novel has been acclaimed as a "must read" and "truly inspiring."
For a limited time, it's available on amazon.com for only $0.99 in eBook form.
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Snow-ebook/dp/B...