Start by marking “Monster” as Want to Read:
Monster

Monster

Something's out there...

Reed Shelton organized this survival weekend. Hired the best guide in the region. Meticulously trained, studied, and packed while encouraging his wife, Beck, to do the same. But little did they know that surviving the elements would become the least of their worries. During their first night of camping, an unearthly wail pierces the calm of the for

Mass Market Paperback, 452 pages
Published October 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published April 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Monster, please sign up.
J Allestad Frank Peretti is a Christian author, and in this book the main character is a Christian. And the premise of the book involves the fact that beneficial…moreFrank Peretti is a Christian author, and in this book the main character is a Christian. And the premise of the book involves the fact that beneficial mutations just don't exist.(less)
Emma I don't think that fact that the child has social issues would want you to keep them from reading the book, but they may still be a bit young for the …moreI don't think that fact that the child has social issues would want you to keep them from reading the book, but they may still be a bit young for the material. Maybe when they're a few years older?(less)

Start your review of Monster
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I remember reading this many moons ago and I still enjoy it

This is no Harry and the Hendersons story. Reed and Beck are out for camping. Of course, they ended up in Sasquatch land. Beck ends up taken by a Bigfoot and she lives with the Bigfoot, Bigfeet? family. Becks husband Reed is on a search for her with some peeps. Do they find her? And what's her life like with the Bigfoot gang? Read it and see 😄

Oh and I forgot to mention the mean jerks in the book! There are always those. Some crazy scien
Braxton
Apr 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
I picked this book up at the library without knowing anything about it other than the title and the plot as described on the jacket. They should really mention that it is christian fiction somewhere on the jacket. I got roughly half way through the book when it occurred to me that the Christianity was being poured on a little thick. I looked into who the author was and it turns out he is a writer of christian fiction. I wasted my time reading half of a book I never would have touched, because it ...more
Joanna
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I usually enjoy Frank Peretti's books, but found this one a bit different... took me awhile to "get into" it. But, towards the middle, and especially the end of the book, it is very hard to put down! The writing can be a bit gruesome at times, but is not too "over the top". Without wanting to spoil the plot, I appreciate the premise of the book: "Left to his own devices, man will always create a monster!" I tend to agree with that... except I would add: especially when man leaves God out of the ...more
Conrad
May 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
I mercifully forgot I read this book until I looked at Elizabeth's book list, or maybe I was just ashamed to admit to my Goodreads friends that I actually completed it. If Peretti wants to cram his version of Christianity down our throats (evolution does not exist, etc.) using non-existent animals as a plot device, he should publish a disclaimer to that effect, in very large type, on the front cover. What a waste of time.
Mel Campbell
What did I just read?!? I picked this up in an op-shop about a year ago and have only just got around to reading it, so until recently I was innocent of the fact it is a CHRISTIAN BIGFOOT NOVEL.

Nowhere on the front or back cover is Peretti's God-bothering mentioned. Only when I read the review quotes on the first page did it begin to dawn on me that he is "the king of the faith-based fiction genre" and "the world's hottest writer of spiritual thrillers". (I had to LOL that they included the NYT
Rebekah Duncan
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adam Nelson
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like Peretti. A lot. Especially when he's dealing with spiritual warfare. He quite literally wrote the book on how the supernatural Christian thriller is done with his Darkness books. This one doesn't fall in the same vein. Not every book can be a writer's magnum opus. Sometimes he just writes an entertaining diversion. Nothing wrong with that. Peretti's frenetic pacing (I use that word as a compliment) is on display here, and the pages turn by themselves. The only problem is that the hook isn ...more
Christy
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Chris Perry
Wow, wow and double WOW's!!!! In retrospect this book was not that scary, but when reading it you will say otherwise. What I thoroughly enjoyed was the build-up; this book was made to be read in either one sitting (cause you can't put it down), or you spend several nights reading it. The plot, the ideas, just the imagination and the research that had to go into making this book draw you into it at a much deeper level than I have in any other Peretti fictional piece.

I was amazed and I think that
Eric Shaffer
Up against the library wall, with no other viable audiobook choices, I selected this book. The writing is melodramatic and silly, but what made me like it was the reading by the author, who comes across as the narrator from the movie A Christmas Story on speed and tequila. When the poor stuttering heroine speaks, our reader makes it obvious that you are glad to not have been in the recording studio with him because the spit was certainly flying. When the Sasquatch groans, cries, sings, or scream ...more
Chy
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Beck is not thrilled to be taking this survival weekend with her husband Reed. She isn’t a big fan of the outdoors, but Reed thinks a wild camping adventure is just the thing to cure her of her nervous stutter. During their first night of camping, a horrifying wail pierced the night. Then something emerges in the darkness and chases them through the forest. The last thing Reed sees is a huge, hairy creature carrying his wife away into the night.

The next morning, a rescue party sets out to track
Catfantastic
Jun 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
In some ways, knowing what kind of book it is, I can forgive him getting the science really, really, egregiously, catastrophically wrong. He at least consulted an "expert" who had a vested interest in steering him badly. But he also gets universities wrong, hilariously so, and there's no reason not to have cleared that up with a little research.
Beata
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christian thriller about MONSTERS! Another one of my favorites by F. Peretti! Reading this author is like watching a good movie! It's so easy to visulize every scene! And what a captivating page-turner this book is! Enough of mystery and suspense to keep me up half of a night!
Kalin Lowery
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book I am reviewing is Monster by Frank Peretti. The book has 451 pages and is published by WestBow Press. I chose this book because it is a fiction novel that has a lot of fictional characters and a suspenseful synopsis on the cover.
The main character of this book is Rebecca Shelton aka Beck, twenty eight. Beck and her husband Reed where on a hiking trip to meet with some friends. When she was taken by an unknown monster and now it is up to her husband, their friends, and a group a voluntee
Tamara Rose Blodgett
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Peretti, one of the most famous Christian novelists, sure knows how to write a brilliantly-paced, roller coaster ride of a book! Having heard great things about this author along with reading an earlier work, The Present Darkness, I gave Monster a try. The earlier novel, which was steeped in Christian theology and genre, is a contrary work to Monster that explores the popular myth of Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch.

Reed and Beck Shelton, a happily married couple where the extroverted husband,
CluckingBell
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I saw this browsing my library’s new ebook offerings and thought it sounded good and scary. After downloading the book, I learned it fell into the "Christian fiction" genre. Not being too sure what that meant in practical terms, but nonetheless pretty sure I was not the target audience, I figured it ultimately didn’t matter as long as the book delivered. And it did prove a pretty decent, fast-paced read, though not the thrill-ride I’d hoped given a title like Monster and the rousing reviews.

To r
Andrea
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-book-list
I was tryimg to wed through my books to donate some. I came across this book. I never read it so I figured I wpuld read it before donating. It was missimg the dust jacket so I started reading with no idea what the book was about. After the first few chapters, I was hooked. I never thought I would read a book that contained the mysterious Saskawach. I suggest you give the book a try if you are lookimg for clean, page turning adventure/mystery.
Sharon
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book shortly after 'House' which Peretti co-wrote with Ted Dekker (and I wound up hating with a burning passion...especially the ending). And I can still vividly recall how relieved I felt when I finished 'Monster,' thinking "OH. THANK. GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!! 'House' was not Frank's fault!!!!!! HERE is the Frank Peretti that I know and like!!" This remains my favorite book by him.
Nike Chillemi
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Peretti writes so simply, it takes you by surprise.

Of course, I read the book for it's mystery. However, I'm a huge animal lover and the author got into the emotions of the great beasts in this book in a way that touched me.

JT Weatherford
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I’ve read this before when it first came out and just read it again. It’s amazing how much I forgot and it was just like reading it for the first came. I loved it!
Alexandria
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book rather disappointed me. I expected it to be scary, but unfortunately, the monster was more like a pet. However, I will read more of this authors work to capture his writing style.
Michael
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give 5 stars to a book, but this so deserves it. All I can say is, "Wow!" Highly recommended.

Ever since I was a kid, I had a thing for cryptids, so imagine my surprise when I saw that Frank Peretti had written a book dealing with Bigfoot.

I had my first exposure to Peretti years ago when I read The Oath, which, if memory serves me correctly, I enjoyed. At the time, I made it a point to check out more of the author's work but just never got around to it. Between life and other books, he j
Courtney
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lou
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my least favorite book by Peretti. Though I still hope to read more books by him.
Carter L.
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just think about going on a camping trip to learn more about survival and your significant other gets captured by some unknown creature. The main characters in this book are Beck and Reed Shelton along with Sing and Cap. The book takes place in a decent size Forest in Idaho where the main struggle is trying to find what took Reed's wife. He has to have a whole lot of hope throughout because they don't know if she is still alive or not. The only ones that really know that is the reader for a whil ...more
Dennis Sharpe
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I first read Peretti’s work (This Present Darkness & Piercing the Darkness) when I was in school. I think it was 1989. I really liked the way he told a story. It really gave you a sense of watching events unfold in more than one location concurrently. I admired that ability in his storytelling, and picked up this book expecting no less.

Well, that was about all that I was happy to find present in this book. To say that this isn’t a good example of Peretti’s work is being generous.

This book was bi
Kathrynn
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is a stand alone book and not really a horror, but I can't think of another category. Christian-Horror because it deals with Bigfoot or sasquatch--an entire family of them.

Reed, who is handsome and loves his shy and prone to stuttering wife, Beck, decides they need to get out in the wilderness for fresh air. While camping, they are attacked by a "pack" of sasquatch. Beck, learns how to communicate with the creatures. I enjoyed the toilet paper scene. :-)

There is some horror here in that th
Justin Nichols
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.8/5: That's its average rating here on Goodreads, which I think is right on the money. Totally fair for this novel. There were some brilliantly tense and thrilling moments, but also some flat ones. Only some of the characters had somewhat of an arc, but this was definitely more of a push-the-plot and solve-the-mysteries type of book, so I understand where the focus had to be. A couple good twists thrown in, as well as a surprise bond formed. The heroism wasn't forced in that it was balanced wi ...more
Ernest Solar
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bigfoot
I really enjoyed Monster by Frank Peretti. The plot of the story was engaging and his portrayal of the Bigfoot creatures was well researched and believable. Overall, any Bigfoot enthusiast will enjoy and appreciate the tribe and actions of Bigfoots. I enjoyed the intricate web of mystery that was woven throughout the plot. However, towards the end, some elements were too convenient for the characters to move forward, but I don’t believe it took away from the overall feel of the story. Even thoug ...more
East Polk SRP 202...: Monster 1 1 Jun 05, 2020 09:55AM
HIGH ON HORROR: WHICH MONSTER ARE YOU? 50 37 Aug 01, 2014 07:54AM

• Thr3e
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2)
  • White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3)
  • Showdown (Paradise, #1)
  • Boneman's Daughters
  • Blink
  • Saint (Paradise, #2)
  • Adam
  • Skin
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1)
  • Obsessed
  • Kiss
  • The Priest's Graveyard
  • The Bride Collector
  • Burn
  • Immanuel's Veins
  • The Last Sin Eater
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg

News & Interviews

“Comfort can be a dangerous thing. You stick around home all the time where it’s safe and nothing ever changes, and before you know it, you get set in your ways and you quit learning, you quit changing, you don’t grow anymore.” 171 likes
“Staying alive is nice, but you can’t do that forever. It’s how you live the life you have while you have it.” 67 likes