The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

General > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 403 (403 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments If your looking for something different to read or just want to recommend a book you thought was great then you can do it right here.

message 2: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments All dystopian lovers must read The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness series. Best ever!!

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments I just bought that book David, I can't wait to get started on it.

message 4: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Yes!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as me ;)

message 5: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments I would like to see maybe monthly or quarterly reading challenges that gives more flexibility in what books are being read. :)

Maybe this is already done somewhere and I just haven't got there yet... lol

message 6: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments a book recommendation I have that I don't think a lot of people know about is Exceptional. Jess Petosa is a newer author and I really enjoyed her books. :)

message 7: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
Jack and I are actually working on some group.challenges, but we're both busy at the moment so they won't be posted quite yet.

message 8: by Jamie Lee (new)

Jamie Lee A great dystopian book I read lately that's a little less known is Birthmarked Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien . I read the whole series in like 2 days I was so addicted!

message 9: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Cool, I've been considering that one for a while, might have to try it!

message 10: by kirstin ✿ (new)

kirstin ✿ (shoutohdoroki) For dystopian lovers who want to see a mix of evil angels and an apocalytic world at once, try Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee .

This is epic!

message 11: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments That book is definitely amazing!!!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 26 comments All the birthmarked series was great! Very different than anything I've read before

message 13: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Another rec for Birthmarked, perhaps I need to read those!

message 14: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments I'm obsessed with Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi at the moment :)

message 15: by Lilac , Moderator (last edited Apr 26, 2013 11:24AM) (new)

I loved that book! Have you read Unravel Me or Destroy Me?

message 16: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments LOL, no, I just finished Shatter Me and trying to decide when and whether to read them :) I LOVED the first half of the book but really didn't like the second half or how it ended up. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Ahh, yeah, I see what you mean. Well, Destroy Me is good anyway, though the writing is not unique like it is is Shatter Me. It's still interesting to hear from Warner though.

message 18: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Hmm ok, well that sounds intriguing, I might have to try at least that even if I decide against the sequel. I'm really not sure yet, I was just so let down by the ending that it's hard to think right now!

message 19: by Jamie Lee (new)

Jamie Lee The ending definitely took me off guard but I did love the rest of the books and it really doesn't take as much of an X-Men feel like the ending seems. I'd def read them!

message 20: by Trinesha (last edited Apr 26, 2013 08:25PM) (new)

Trinesha (msjournalist) I really like the Shatter Me series, it gets better as the books come out. Destroy Me was interesting, especially seeing inside Warner's head. Unravel Me was so good to me, I was squealing with delight after I finished.

Also some good books I like that haven't gotten a lot of attention
Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky and Starters by Lissa Price. Both Dystopian and good!

message 21: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Ok cool, thank you for sharing, I guess I have to read them!

message 22: by Lara (new)

Lara (ellesce) | 1 comments Heard of birth marked. you'd recommend?

message 23: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Riccio (julesriccio) | 19 comments Birthmarked is awesome. Very good series.
I also really liked the Chemical Garden Series (Wither, Fever, Sever) and I'm in love with the Selection Series right now.

message 24: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Yep, Birthmarked is really good. I need to read the rest of the series :)

message 25: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle I just read last week and it was good!

message 26: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle Shatter Me, I mean.

message 27: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments I have wanted to read birth marked! I absolutely loved the knife of never letting go! I am currently reading Angelfall an its a great book so far! Has anyone read Blood Red Road?

message 28: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Riccio (julesriccio) | 19 comments I tried. couldn't get past the first chapter. I thought the type of speech was annoying.

message 29: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Yes, that book was great. It was hard to get used to the language and lack of quotation marks at first but once you're used to it the book is really good and unique.

message 30: by Stephani (new)

Stephani (lolitasue) | 4 comments Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer and Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young

are really good reads.

message 31: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments Lilac wrote: "Yes, that book was great. It was hard to get used to the language and lack of quotation marks at first but once you're used to it the book is really good and unique".

I agree! It was a bit hard to get through the language but once you got used to the authors style the book was mesmerizing!

message 32: by Mariann (new)

Mariann (hyperebaaktiivne) Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1) by Philip Reeve SUPER!!

message 33: by Jamie Lee (new)

Jamie Lee Just finished Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and wow! It definitely wasn't what I was expecting... I hope a second book comes out!

Would anyone recommend the Mazerunner series? I keep delaying reading it not being sure about it.

message 34: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments The sequel comes out in October (finally!)

The Maze Runner was just OK for me. The first book was decent, the second not so good and the third pretty good. I wouldn't choose it above many other dystopian series

message 35: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments I just finished the ask and the answer! It was awesome!

message 36: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Omg so good! Wait till the last book, incredible :)

message 37: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

The Maze Runner series is quite good but there are definitely better dystopian books out there. :)

message 38: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments Ok, so I have been hearing a lot about the book, the fault in our stars, what do y'all think about it ?

message 39: by Jamie Lee (new)

Jamie Lee If anyone hasn't read Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre I would definitely recommend it. It's near the top of my list for YA Dystopian books and I can't wait for the 3rd to come out!

Deciding between reading Cinder, The mortal instruments, the infernal devices or gone series next... any suggestions?

message 40: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Awesome, I'm going to read Enclave soon :)

I love all 4 of those series but I'm really into the Gone series right now and the whole thing is available. Cinder you should save for last since it has two more books that'll take another 1.5 years to come out. TMI still has one more book to go which isn't out for a while, but you might want to read the first one before the movie. I found TID to fit in well AFTER reading the first three TMI. Just my opinion :)

message 41: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments Loved enclave!!!!! One if my favs, also on the 4th book of mortal instrument and I really like it. The infernal devices is also one of my fav series, it's soooooo good. I am also in the middle of the gone series, I really liked it also. But got into the infernal devices and the mortal instruments so I wanna finish it first. All good picks to me!!!!

message 42: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Alison wrote: "Ok, so I have been hearing a lot about the book, the fault in our stars, what do y'all think about it ?"

The Fault in Our Stars is really good, you should definitely read it! :)

message 43: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I can't believe no one has mentioned Divergent- that is seriously one of the BEST dystopian books out there!! I definitely need to try the Mortal Instruments though- I'm so behind on those!

message 44: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Divergent is awesome! Not in my top 5 dystopians, but definitely in my top 10!

message 45: by Daniela (last edited Jun 17, 2013 08:55AM) (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Lilac wrote: "Alison wrote: "Ok, so I have been hearing a lot about the book, the fault in our stars, what do y'all think about it ?"

The Fault in Our Stars is really good, you should definitely read it! :)"

Could not agree more. Have tissues at the ready though! :p

message 46: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Riya wrote: "I can't believe no one has mentioned Divergent- that is seriously one of the BEST dystopian books out there!! I definitely need to try the Mortal Instruments though- I'm so behind on those!"

Yea Divergent is definitely up there with my favorite dystopian series/books. Along with The Chaos Walking trilogy of course. Patrick Ness is absolutely brilliant!

message 47: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments David wrote: "Divergent is awesome! Not in my top 5 dystopians, but definitely in my top 10!"

So which are in your top 5? Do share! I defintely wouldn't mind some dystopian recommendations!

message 48: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Hehe here they are! Although these are the first books in each series, I'm judging them based on the entire series or what's been published so far :)

1. Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (best series ever!)
2. Unwind
3. The Hunger Games
4. Partials
5. Delirium

I also really like Under the Never Sky series ( first book is ok but the second is awesome!), Legend (first book better than second in my opinion) and Rot and Ruin (more zombie post apocalyptic but REALLY good!)

You may have read most of these but if not I hope you find some new reads!

message 49: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Daniela wrote: "Riya wrote: "I can't believe no one has mentioned Divergent- that is seriously one of the BEST dystopian books out there!! I definitely need to try the Mortal Instruments though- I'm so behind on t..."

I agree COMPLETELY! Chaos Walking is my all time FAVE!!

message 50: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments David wrote: "Hehe here they are! Although these are the first books in each series, I'm judging them based on the entire series or what's been published so far :)

1. Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (..."

Yes yes yes The Chaos Walking trilogy is just perfect! Have you heard about the film? I have yet to read the second book to Legend which i loved. But i have Delirium so i will definitely read it once i finish Blood Red Road :D

Brilliant! I love a good zombie book, that's going straight on my to-read list too, joining Unwind, thank you! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9