Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
This topic is about Firelight
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Callihan, Kristen - Firelight - Start Date: April 12th 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 09, 2013 12:04PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
            descriptiondescription
This topic is open for discussion of Firelight. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:

Once the flames are ignited . . .

Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .

Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 18, 2013 09:13PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown:

Date Chapters Pages DQs by

April 12 Prologue - 4 1-48
April 13 5 - 10 49 - 101
April 14 11 - 15 102 - 159
April 15 16 - 18 160 - 206
April 16 19 - 22 207 - 251
April 17 23 - 27 252 - 295
April 18 28 - 32 296 - 350
April 19 33 - End 351 - 384

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I have this on Kindle. Looking forward to reading it!

message 4: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments The chapter breakdown has been posted above. Reading starts tomorrow. Are we excited? Who's joining in?

A Little About Firelight:
It's first in the Darkest London Series:
Firelight #1
Ember #2
Moonglow #3
Winterblaze #4

Interview with Kirsten Callihan

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I am!

Nancy | 577 comments I got it from the library and am going to try it. Not sure if it's my "thing"!

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'm liking it so far!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments It is so good :o)

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments I've requested it from my library, and I can catch up. If I don't, I'll read it in my own time. Are we able to talk about plot here, seeing as the chapters have been assigned?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Jex's Questions for Prologue-Chapter 4:

1: The fencer that grabbed Archer's attention turns out to be a girl! And a fiery one at that. Were you surprised?

2: Ellis sounds like a horrible father! Do you think he was always that way? Or is he cold because Miranda burned down his warehouse? What do you think of Miranda's ability to make fire with her mind?

3: Miranda is fiery and fierce and Archer is cold and distant, complete opposites. Do you think this is why they are so attracted to each other?

4: Marriage tomorrow? So quick? What a choice! Marry a man you don't know with a reputation of being mean or have no shelter over your head. Do you think Miranda made the right choice?

5: Archer told Miranda that he was marrying her because he needed an heir, but we later find out that was all a lie. Surprised? Do you think he should have been more honest? Were you surprised Miranda stayed?

6: Archer has this huge secret monster like quality that we don't know yet. Any guesses? Are you surprised he's been looking for a cure and may be close to one?

7: The author talked about making this book sound like the old books of Dracula, Frankenstein, or Phantom of the Opera. Do you get that type of vibe from this story?

8:Are you liking the book so far? Any crazy predictions?

Nancy | 577 comments Jex's Questions for Prologue-Chapter 4:

1: The fencer that grabbed Archer's attention turns out to be a girl! And a fiery one at that. Were you surprised?

Yes I wasn't expecting a girl.

2: Ellis sounds like a horrible father! Do you think he was always that way? Or is he cold because Miranda burned down his warehouse? What do you think of Miranda's ability to make fire with her mind?

I think part of it is who he is but more of it may be because he lost everything when the warehouse burned. I'm not sure that he wanted to sell his daughters or if it really wasn't a choice if he wanted to live (not that I'm saying I'd do that!). We don't know much about Miranda's fire making abilities but I am curious about it.

3: Miranda is fiery and fierce and Archer is cold and distant, complete opposites. Do you think this is why they are so attracted to each other?

Does she not realize yet that she's met Archer before? There seemed to be instant attraction when they first met in the prologue. I'm not sure he was always so cold and distant. I think that came because of whatever accident he incurred.

4: Marriage tomorrow? So quick? What a choice! Marry a man you don't know with a reputation of being mean or have no shelter over your head. Do you think Miranda made the right choice?

Yes, it seemed like her only choice. And I would think there had to be a reason it was done so quickly. He obviously knew that he wanted her.

5: Archer told Miranda that he was marrying her because he needed an heir, but we later find out that was all a lie. Surprised? Do you think he should have been more honest? Were you surprised Miranda stayed?

A little. He didn't know what to tell her. I think he's waiting for a better time and maybe to get to know her a little more and earn her trust. I'm not surprised Miranda stayed. She knows she has her fire making ability if she needs it.

6: Archer has this huge secret monster like quality that we don't know yet. Any guesses? Are you surprised he's been looking for a cure and may be close to one?

I have no idea! Could it possibly have to deal with his deformity. I'm trying to picture this guy with this mask on and can't get a good image in my mind! It must be big though since he's so determined to find the cure.

7: The author talked about making this book sound like the old books of Dracula, Frankenstein, or Phantom of the Opera. Do you get that type of vibe from this story?

From the description of the outside of the castle I am a little bit. I don't think I've gotten into the story enough yet to really get that vibe.

I am suprised that I'm liking the book and got so into it right from the beginning!

message 12: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Maddison wrote: "I've requested it from my library, and I can catch up. If I don't, I'll read it in my own time. Are we able to talk about plot here, seeing as the chapters have been assigned?"

Yes you can talk plot. It's kind to still use spoiler tags and such if you're talking about sections we haven't gotten to yet. For example if you've finished the book don't tell us the ending until we've gotten that far. But other then that, this thread specifically states that spoilers will be said.

message 13: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Thanks for posting the questions Sonia! I totally forgot to do it this morning before work. Glad I didn't make everyone wait :-P

message 14: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Nancy

3: I think she briefly felt like she had met him before, but didn't make the connection because his voice had healed.

5: That's a good point about her having her fire. I guess she's never defenseless, if she can control it that is.

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments 1: The fencer that grabbed Archer's attention turns out to be a girl! And a fiery one at that. Were you surprised?

I was surprised...and impresssed!
I wondered about Archer..

I suspect he was always like that. The fire was an accident, after all. Loving fathers can forgive their daughters. I wanted to know more about Miranda's ability. We're not told very much.

Yes, I also think she's attracted to the mystery and bad-boy aspect. We're told Miranda is very beautiful so there's a physical attraction as well.

From a 21st century standpoint it's hard to fathom, but given the time period, I do believe she makes the best choice for herself. (Even though he could be a horrible husband who beats her!)

I think Miranda views this as an adventure and an escape from her difficult life.

I have no clue! I had no idea what this book was about, so I wondered if Archer is some kind of paranormal being. I thought vampire at first, but no signs of that! With the "moon" coin I thought perhaps he's a werewolf, or perhaps becoming one. We shall see!

I love historicals and I think the setting in this book is very well done. It does indeed have a gothic feel to it.

8:Are you liking the book so far? Any crazy predictions? I am liking it very much. I have read a couple of days ahead!

Parvathy | 242 comments 1: The fencer that grabbed Archer's attention turns out to be a girl! And a fiery one at that. Were you surprised?

No, I guessed they would meet in similar circumstances.That is how it usually happens.

I think her ability is cool. Ellis does sound like a horrible father but something about his character is inconsistent. Why did he keep Miranda for so long if she was the cause of his misery. From what I have seen he has no love for his daughter

Maybe. But I am finding their attraction a little unbelievable. This does have a kind of instant love feel to it. They are just attracted to each other just like that. I don't know I could have used a bit more background to it. But the way the story is going I think there is going to be a long wait before the two admit their attraction.

I am just surprised that she didn't opt for running. She definitely has the ability to take care of herself and with her supernatural powers she could have taken on anything. Yet she opted to marry a complete stranger which is kind of inconsistent.

His seemed to be the most logical explanation to give at the time. I think it was prudent of him to make up this lie not knowing what Miranda's feelings were. I am not surprised that Miranda opted to stay. After all she did agree to marry him when she knew next to nothing about him.

I am more interested in knowing what kind of a superpower he has. He did say he was not normal.

I am getting the whole Beauty and the Beast vibe from the story. It does have that feel to it. The father making the daughter marry a beast and the beast falling in love with the beauty. The beauty and the love she has for him his only salvation.

It is engaging. I think Archer's superpower has something to do with ice.

message 17: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Sandy

2: Me too. I hope both her ability and Archer's deformity are explained better going forward.

message 18: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Parvathy

7: Beauty and the Beast. I didn't think of that one but it makes sense.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Sonia's Questions and Comments for Chapter 5 - Chapter 10

9:Sir Percival Andrew was murdered by a masked man with a familiar voice. It seems that someone from Archer's past wants to frame him. Or is he the killer? Thoughts about that?

10:The whole wedding dinner adds to Parvathy's Beauty and the Beast vibe. Don't you agree? And clearly Miranda an Archer seem very attracted to each other. Do you think they'll resist long? Archer's secret accident has me burning me with curiosity!

11:An eye for an eye. Yikes. And Sir Percival's eye was missing. Is it the same eye? Does this mean that we're still going to see his heart? Maybe use it to solidify the case against Archer?

12:Miranda finally knows that it was Archer on that night. Do you think she will confront him?

13:A lot is going on with Rossberry and Archer. I'm dying to know more about this mysterious secret club. Do you think they really are into botanics, or is just a cover up?

14:The nerve of that Victoria woman, trying to pass herself off as a distant relative. Thoughts about her?

15:Another murder. Another West Moon Club coin over one eye. Any suspects? Or is it too soon?

Nancy | 577 comments Sonia's Questions and Comments for Chapter 5 - Chapter 10

9:Sir Percival Andrew was murdered by a masked man with a familiar voice. It seems that someone from Archer's past wants to frame him. Or is he the killer? Thoughts about that?

I think there's too much of his past that we don't know for me to make any guesses at this point. But yes, definitely looking like a set-up.

10:The whole wedding dinner adds to Parvathy's Beauty and the Beast vibe. Don't you agree? And clearly Miranda an Archer seem very attracted to each other. Do you think they'll resist long? Archer's secret accident has me burning me with curiosity!

Yes! The dinner scene did remind me of Beauty and the Beast and with him being deformed/afraid to show his face. And no, I don't think they will resist each other for long!

11:An eye for an eye. Yikes. And Sir Percival's eye was missing. Is it the same eye? Does this mean that we're still going to see his heart? Maybe use it to solidify the case against Archer?

Not sure.

12:Miranda finally knows that it was Archer on that night. Do you think she will confront him?

I hope so. She seemed afraid after she overheard him with her brother-in-law and him with Victoria. She's realizing that she doesn't know very much about this man!

13:A lot is going on with Rossberry and Archer. I'm dying to know more about this mysterious secret club. Do you think they really are into botanics, or is just a cover up?

It sounded like a cover-up because Miranda was there and they didn't want her to hear.

14:The nerve of that Victoria woman, trying to pass herself off as a distant relative. Thoughts about her?

Don't like her! I wonder what kind of past they had....just sleeping together? It sounds like she's seen him without his mask on.

15:Another murder. Another West Moon Club coin over one eye. Any suspects? Or is it too soon?

Too soon for me to take any guesses.

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments 9:Sir Percival Andrew was murdered by a masked man with a familiar voice. It seems that someone from Archer's past wants to frame him. Or is he the killer? Thoughts about that?

I thought it could be Archer when the murder occurred. I didn't know much about Sir Percival, so Archer could have had a very good reason for killing him.

Agree. They were attracted from the beginning.

I'm surprised Archer didn't tell the inspector someone sent the eye to him.

12:Miranda finally knows that it was Archer on that night. Do you think she will confront him? Yes, she's not afraid of conflict.

I think it's more than botanics. The author does a good job at keeping the mystery and keeping us interested.

14:The nerve of that Victoria woman, trying to pass herself off as a distant relative. Thoughts about her? At first, I was hoping that Miranda had found a friend. But when we learn she's a lying wench, I figured we haven't seen the last of her.

At this point I suspected Rossberry.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Questions for Chapter 11 - Chapter 15:

16:Miranda turns to her sister for help. Is that wise? To whom will Poppy's loyalty fall if it comes to a choice? The sister or the husband?

17:West Moon Club sounds more like a bogus name. But a bogus club with coins? Do they sell something there? If not for the 1880 I would immediately think of drugs, could that be the secret? They deal with botanical experiments.

18:Archer goes every Wednesday to the British Museum to find peace like his mother. Awwwww so sweet. And it also had a ring to a truth to cover another truth. Don't you agree?

19:"I sense a predilection for trouble coming from you. I've no desire to encourage it.". What do you think, premonition? or the statement of inevitability?

20:Were you surprised with Miranda's reaction to Archer's admission about his intention to kill her father?

21:Oh my, the moment he took the mask off I stopped breathing. Thoughts?

22:The masked man now is after Miranda. It appears that the main goal is not to kill Archer but destroy him. What can possibly Archer have done to someone be so intended on his eternal suffering?

23:Always the impulsive Miranda. Instead of staying put she dashes after Archer and ends up saving his life. The stitching part was a bit too much for me. Would you be able to do it?

Nancy | 577 comments Questions for Chapter 11 - Chapter 15:

16:Miranda turns to her sister for help. Is that wise? To whom will Poppy's loyalty fall if it comes to a choice? The sister or the husband?

The sisters seem close and hopefully loyal. I'm hoping Poppy will side with Miranda if it ever came down to choosing.

17:West Moon Club sounds more like a bogus name. But a bogus club with coins? Do they sell something there? If not for the 1880 I would immediately think of drugs, could that be the secret? They deal with botanical experiments.

Hmmm, sounds plausible. Haven't given it much thought.

18:Archer goes every Wednesday to the British Museum to find peace like his mother. Awwwww so sweet. And it also had a ring to a truth to cover another truth. Don't you agree?

I thought it was very sweet. And after finding out about his family's history and deaths, even more so.

20:Were you surprised with Miranda's reaction to Archer's admission about his intention to kill her father?

Not really. It was like she was expecting it. At that point, they were already poor and he might have done bad things to try to survive.

I was in total anticipation....and then discover he's wearing another mask?!!! But so far from what is shown of his face, it's not deformed at all. Is he really disfigured or is it just part of a plan to make people fear him

22:The masked man now is after Miranda. It appears that the main goal is not to kill Archer but destroy him. What can possibly Archer have done to someone be so intended on his eternal suffering?

Have no idea but am very curious.

23:Always the impulsive Miranda. Instead of staying put she dashes after Archer and ends up saving his life. The stitching part was a bit too much for me. Would you be able to do it?

If it meant saving someone's life I think I would. But yeah, reading that scene kind of grossed me out.

Parvathy | 242 comments 9:Sir Percival Andrew was murdered by a masked man with a familiar voice. It seems that someone from Archer's past wants to frame him. Or is he the killer? Thoughts about that?

I think it is the killer and has a score to settle with Archer. It is all somehow connected to the membership in West Moon Club. Maybe Archer was not the only one banished.

The way Archer is behaving I think it is going to be a long time before they act on it. Archer is giving me the feel that there is something hideous hidden behind his mask but that would be too predictable.

Don't know but I think the eye was taken out as a warning but the heart is a completely different matter

I think she will confront him. She did say she wanted facts and what better to get them than to revel what you already know.

I think the botanics is a cover up but they are likely to do experiments on plants for whatever it is they are trying to achieve

We will be seeing more of her if I had to guess and she must be someone powerful and evil to incite such a reaction on Archer and others.

I don't know yet. Need to know more about the members

message 25: by Parvathy (last edited Apr 14, 2013 10:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Parvathy | 242 comments 16:Miranda turns to her sister for help. Is that wise? To whom will Poppy's loyalty fall if it comes to a choice? The sister or the husband?

As far as I have read I think she is taking a neutral stand. Divulging nothing about her true feelings. I don't think she will actively help Miranda

The whole moon name is making me think of werewolves but I don't think that is the case. The club has a League of extraordinary gentleman feel to it

Yes I agree with you. Even though he goes to the Museum for getting peace he also has a hidden agenda. At first I though the Museum was where club members met.

19:"I sense a predilection for trouble coming from you. I've no desire to encourage it.". What do you think, premonition? or the statement of inevitability?

More like a statement of inevitability but something which Archer wants to stop at all costs.

I am always surprised by Miranda's reaction whenever Archer is involved. I don't get it. Why is she so attracted to Archer? Whatever he does she has an explanation for it. I think even if he admitted to killing anyone she will still stand by him.

I felt cheated I thought this was going to be the big reveal. Although I didn't expect it to happen just then. He wears another mask inside. When will we get to see the real Archer?

Maybe Archer was responsible for whatever affliction the killer was suffering from. Drawing from the material provided by all the revenge books I have read I am guessing it is a lover scorned or someone who lost a loved one because of Archer

I was thinking the same thing while reading that part. How do you stitch a person without further injuring him? I don't think I could have done it unless it was absolutely necessary.

message 26: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments The mods are a bit behind in reading so we apologize for the lack of questions today. We'll try to catch up and get back on track as soon as we can! (or if there are volunteers that would like to help with questions, they are always welcome!)

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 16, 2013 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 16 - 18

24) So we finally see Miranda in her element. ;) Quite an impressive power. What did you think of it? That's one very dangerous power to possess especially if you can't control it. It reminded me a touch of the 1984 Film Firestarter, featuring Drew Barrymore. Do you remember it?:
 photo firestarterdrewbarrymore_zps83ddbb8b.jpeg

25) Victoria is not Archer's cousin after all, but a former lady friend. Although it doesn't sound quite like she's much of a lady. "Everybody lies." Yeah, and I bet Victoria is one of the worst liars around. Would you believe anything that comes out of the woman's mouth?

26) So it sounds like Archer's ailment, whatever it may be, can spread, but makes him stronger???? What in the world is going on with him?

27) Any idea how a ring could cure Archer? Why did the former captain and his son want to kill Archer for asking about it? Was it because of the ring or because of his knowledge of their shipboard thievery?

28) So Miranda's secret has been outed but not to Archer. What do you think Lord Ian Mckinnon will do with the information? What did he do to make Miranda cry? Did you see the description of him? "Sharp Canines" and "feral grin"?

29) So the ring was stolen by Lord Alasdair Ranulf, Earl of Rossberry and Miranda's father played a roll in it? I think there's a lot Miranda doesn't know about her father.

30) Okay we've got Wolf tattoos, a West Moon Club, Feral smiles and sharp canines....Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

31) So we know Archer's problem appears to be contained to only one side, but exactly how low does it go? I mean he still hasn't made a move on Miranda. Does anyone else wonder? Or do you think he's afraid of somehow spreading it to Miranda or a child they'd make?

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 19 - 22

32) So Lord Alasdair Ranulf, Earl of Rossberry is Ian McKinnon's father.Hmm...I wonder what they think is so awful about Archer?

33) Ian seemed a little too interested in Miranda's powers for my tastes. He also seemed to want to make Archer jealous. Seems like there must be a story there somewhere, don't you think? What are your thoughts on Ian?

34) So the West Moon Club was a group of individuals who wished to find a means for extending human life beyond it's normal threshold. Perhaps seeking immortality. With Archer's background in medicine, I could see that. What do you think could have happened to have disbanded the group in a way as to send the running? An experiment gone wrong? My desire to know Archer's secret is increasing. When will his secret be revealed?

35) Are you surprised Miranda hasn't revealed her secret to Archer?

36) So fire and breaking counter tops? Hmmm....these two sound like a dangerous combination.

37) So now we're dabbling in magic. "He never thought the cure would be his own destruction"? Sounds ominous, don't you think?

38) What do you think of the see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil message? Is it a warning of some sort? Sounds like Archer's friend died for whatever secrets he knew. Who could be the killer? Do you think it's Lord Alasdair or perhaps Victoria? Ian strikes me as being capable of killing, but I don't think he did it.

39) We finally know why Lord Alasdair Ranulf hates Archer. He blames him for the explosion that scarred him. I wonder what happened? He does not strike me as harmless and I can't believe he treated Miranda like that.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 23 - 27

40.The whole experience of Miranda being abducted and the horses running amok was frightening. But now we know that the killer has no intention of killing Archer but is hoping he will change. Change into what?

41. Archer runs as fast as four horses and is strong enough to lift a carriage but he's not as strong or as fast as our killer. Does that mean our killer is no ordinary human.? It seems he's not human at all. What do you think?

42.So Archer didn't complete the ritual all those years ago. Is that what the killer was referring? That he should complete the ritual?

43. I didn't understand the reaction to the ritual knife. I first thought it was necessary to complete the ritual, but it seems that the "changed" part of Archer fears it while the "human" part doesn't. The knife would be crucial in the process that's for sure, but to complete the change? Or to kill?

44. Miranda's mantel was found near the body. At least Winston seems smart enough not to be fooled by the killer's intentions of building a case against Archer. I'm wondering how much is he reading between the lines. And how long he can delay the inevitable pressure of society to accuse Archer.

45."It can be done.
–L"
What can be done? What are they planning? This lack of answers is driving my nuts!

46.Two days left to spend with Miranda. That sounds so final. Does that mean that he's planing to die? Or that he'll be changed forever?

Nancy | 577 comments I ended up finishing this book a couple of days ago, since I needed it for a challenge. So I'm refraining from answering the questions since I already know what's happened! I ended up rating it three stars. I wasn't amazed by the story and probably won't continue with the series but I thought it was a good story. And one that I didn't think that I'd like at all!

message 31: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I'm behind by quite a bit, but here's my question answers:

Sonia's Questions and Comments for Chapter 5 - Chapter 10

I don't think he's the killer since he didn't seem to have anything to do with the 2nd death we saw at the end of this section. I think he's being framed by someone that doesn't like that he's reentering society.

I wondered if he didn't eat just because of the mask or because he doesn't eat at all. I want to know exactly what's wrong with him already! I'm impatient. Definitely got the beauty and the beast vibe though.

I think it is the same eye. Someone is framing Archer and teasing him with it.

I don't think she will confront him. She doesn't seem ready to talk to him about anything. Maybe some day. I was happy to see he had her knife still and that he carried it with him.

Just a cover up. I think they are crossbreeding and studying mutation, but in humans. My guess is their experiment is Archer and that is why they are so worried about him coming back into the public eye.

She must be part of this big secret and obviously a big part of Archer's past.

No suspects but it convinced me that it wasn't Archer.

Parvathy | 242 comments 24) So we finally see Miranda in her element. ;) Quite an impressive power. What did you think of it? That's one very dangerous power to possess especially if you can't control it. It reminded me a touch of the 1984 Film Firestarter, featuring Drew Barrymore. Do you remember it?:

I haven't seen the movie but mow I am curious. I liked her power. If she can control it also then I am absolutely jealous. If I was in her shoes. I would have donned a cape and a mask and set out to save the world.

25) Victoria is not Archer's cousin after all, but a former lady friend. Although it doesn't sound quite like she's much of a lady. "Everybody lies." Yeah, and I bet Victoria is one of the worst liars around. Would you believe anything that comes out of the woman's mouth?

No, she is giving off the jealous ex girlfriend vibe.

26) So it sounds like Archer's ailment, whatever it may be, can spread, but makes him stronger???? What in the world is going on with him?

Since I have gone further into the reading I pretty much have an idea. The truth is Archer is kind of starting to annoy me.

27) Any idea how a ring could cure Archer? Why did the former captain and his son want to kill Archer for asking about it? Was it because of the ring or because of his knowledge of their shipboard thievery?

At first I thought they were paid.

28) So Miranda's secret has been outed but not to Archer. What do you think Lord Ian Mckinnon will do with the information? What did he do to make Miranda cry? Did you see the description of him? "Sharp Canines" and "feral grin"?

Use it to his advantage. Oh and I think he is a were wolf.

29) So the ring was stolen by Lord Alasdair Ranulf, Earl of Rossberry and Miranda's father played a roll in it? I think there's a lot Miranda doesn't know about her father.

I am surprised that Miranda has let her father off her radar considering the way she investigates about Archer.

30) Okay we've got Wolf tattoos, a West Moon Club, Feral smiles and sharp canines....Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen???

31) So we know Archer's problem appears to be contained to only one side, but exactly how low does it go? I mean he still hasn't made a move on Miranda. Does anyone else wonder? Or do you think he's afraid of somehow spreading it to Miranda or a child they'd make?

I think he has a fear of scaring Miranda off comsidering the way everyone he considered close shuned him after the accident

32) So Lord Alasdair Ranulf, Earl of Rossberry is Ian McKinnon's father.Hmm...I wonder what they think is so awful about Archer?

This I have to know seeing that both of them aren't exactly perfect.As I have said since I have gone further into the reading I pretty much have an idea

33) Ian seemed a little too interested in Miranda's powers for my tastes. He also seemed to want to make Archer jealous. Seems like there must be a story there somewhere, don't you think? What are your thoughts on Ian?

Since I am on Archer's side I hate him for his interest in Miranda. But I have the feeling that he will somehow end up as an ally.

34) So the West Moon Club was a group of individuals who wished to find a means for extending human life beyond it's normal threshold. Perhaps seeking immortality. With Archer's background in medicine, I could see that. What do you think could have happened to have disbanded the group in a way as to send the running? An experiment gone wrong? My desire to know Archer's secret is increasing. When will his secret be revealed?

I think they must have found what they are looking for only to realize that they did not want it but not before making a casuality out of Archer.

Yes, I don't know why she is keeping it a secret especially since she knows Archer has tried his hand in defying the normal.

36) So fire and breaking counter tops? Hmmm....these two sound like a dangerous combination.

I think they would make a great husband and wife crime fighting team.

37) So now we're dabbling in magic. "He never thought the cure would be his own destruction"? Sounds ominous, don't you think?

Witchcraft. May be he lost his soul to a demon or something as in the Supernatural series.

38) What do you think of the see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil message? Is it a warning of some sort? Sounds like Archer's friend died for whatever secrets he knew. Who could be the killer? Do you think it's Lord Alasdair or perhaps Victoria? Ian strikes me as being capable of killing, but I don't think he did it.

Since I now pretty much have a good idea who it is I am not going to spoil the fun but I am just dissappointed to see that it was the obvious choice.

39) We finally know why Lord Alasdair Ranulf hates Archer. He blames him for the explosion that scarred him. I wonder what happened? He does not strike me as harmless and I can't believe he treated Miranda like that.

I think Lord Alasdire is hot tempered and impulsive. Since he was a part of the West Moon Club I think Archer was his friend

40.The whole experience of Miranda being abducted and the horses running amok was frightening. But now we know that the killer has no intention of killing Archer but is hoping he will change. Change into what?

My guess would be something like the killer itself.

41. Archer runs as fast as four horses and is strong enough to lift a carriage but he's not as strong or as fast as our killer. Does that mean our killer is no ordinary human.? It seems he's not human at all. What do you think?

I think it is not a human what ever Archer is I think the killer is double.

42.So Archer didn't complete the ritual all those years ago. Is that what the killer was referring? That he should complete the ritual?

Half scarred Archer and Half ritual am I seeing a connection here. Killer the complete form of whatever Archer is

43. I didn't understand the reaction to the ritual knife. I first thought it was necessary to complete the ritual, but it seems that the "changed" part of Archer fears it while the "human" part doesn't. The knife would be crucial in the process that's for sure, but to complete the change? Or to kill?

The way Archer is acting death would be my guess.

44. Miranda's mantel was found near the body. At least Winston seems smart enough not to be fooled by the killer's intentions of building a case against Archer. I'm wondering how much is he reading between the lines. And how long he can delay the inevitable pressure of society to accuse Archer.

Even though Winston is acting the way we want him to act I don't think a normal investigator would have waited to put Archer behind bars.

45."It can be done.
–L"
What can be done? What are they planning? This lack of answers is driving my nuts!

I am really frustrated with this book. I don't even feeli like reading further with all the new items introduced.

46.Two days left to spend with Miranda. That sounds so final. Does that mean that he's planing to die? Or that he'll be changed forever?

Both. I think.

Parvathy | 242 comments Are there still Power Votes???

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I finished this book on Sunday then real life didn't allow me time to follow the questions/discussion.
I'd just like to say I enjoyed the story. I liked the Beauty & the Beast vibe. I thought the concept was original...the mythological elements were new to me. I wish we had more background on Miranda's power...how she got them and discovered them. Unlike others, I did not guess the "bad guy" before the revelation. I liked this enough to read more in the series, but not in a hurry to do so.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and comments for Chapter 28 - end

47) So we finally find out what Archer was turning into--a light demon (aka Soul eater). Thoughts? Did you like how the have of him was like ice sculpture?

48) What did you think of the way Miranda saved the day? Talk about a steamy kiss. Fire and Ice. They were like opposites.

49) So Archer was 90 some years old but didn't look it. Would that bother you?

50) Would you want immortality or an extended life?

51) So there was hinting about Lord Alasdair's family being different, but we didn't find out how. Perhaps in the next book?

52) Overall thought of the book? Did you like the somewhat superhero type vibe combined with Gothic feel?

Parvathy | 242 comments 47) So we finally find out what Archer was turning into--a light demon (aka Soul eater). Thoughts? Did you like how the have of him was like ice sculpture?

I didn't see that coming. That was a suprise

48) What did you think of the way Miranda saved the day? Talk about a steamy kiss. Fire and Ice. They were like opposites.

I was reminded of a scene from the movie Krull the conqueror.

No. After all I am a fan of Vampire fiction.

I would with eternal youth but them I think it will be kind of boring with out my family and friends. But I still like the concept of not ageing and the dying when you reach 100 years or something.

51) So there was hinting about Lord Alasdair's family being different, but we didn't find out how. Perhaps in the next book?

The plot summary for the next book kind of gives it out

52) Overall thought of the book? Did you like the somewhat superhero type vibe combined with Gothic feel?

Honestly I did not like it much but I think I may have been a little harsh on rating it. I think it deserves 3 stars. The part about Archer was good and so was the story but they could have given little less focus on the romance and more on the paranormal then it would have been better.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sandy wrote: "I finished this book on Sunday then real life didn't allow me time to follow the questions/discussion.
I'd just like to say I enjoyed the story. I liked the Beauty & the Beast vibe. I thought the ..."

Not a spoiler or anything, but I just looked at the next two books and they appear to include her sisters, so I can't help but wonder if they also have powers of their own?

Parvathy | 242 comments Hello!!!Are there still Banking points and powers votes??

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Parvathy wrote: "Hello!!!Are there still Banking points and powers votes??"

We're discussing it and an announcement will probably be going out shortly.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Apologies to anyone still signed up for notifications on this thread. I'm coming to this late and wanted to record some thoughts on this one, so I'll be going through and answering these DQs.

Jex's Questions for Prologue-Chapter 4:

Not really. I saw that one coming right away. :)

I think Ellis is not a great person to start with, but his bad traits get magnified because he distrusts Miranda's gift and hates what she did to the warehouse. I think the fire ability is pretty awesome.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe!

This is the part that made me start thinking of Beauty and the Beast. Forced to live with the beast to save herself and her family. I think she made the only choice she could.

I can see why he would hesitate to tell her he loves her and that he was there that night in the alley. I wanted Miranda to stay, so I'm happy she did. I liked Archer immediately!

I thought it was maybe burns or that he was part animal or something weird. :)

I get that vibe - especially Phantom.

I love it so far!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Sonia's Questions and Comments for Chapter 5 - Chapter 10

I never suspected him as the killer.

10:The whole wedding dinner adds to Parvathy's Beauty and the Beast vibe. Don't you agree? And clearly Miranda and Archer seem very attracted to each other. Do you think they'll resist long? Archer's secret accident has me burning me with curiosity!

Me too! I want them to kiss!

Yuck. I do not want that present.

Knowing Miranda, probably. :)

The club name makes me think of werewolves. Is that his secret?

I think the makeup thing will become important later. Is she immortal and trying to age herself?

I'm terrible at figuring out mysteries.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Questions for Chapter 11 - Chapter 15:

16: Miranda turns to her sister for help. Is that wise? To whom will Poppy's loyalty fall if it comes to a choice? The sister or the husband?

I'd like to think she'd back her sister!

17: West Moon Club sounds more like a bogus name. But a bogus club with coins? Do they sell something there? If not for the 1880 I would immediately think of drugs, could that be the secret? They deal with botanical experiments.

Or is the coin a key of some sort? I keep thinking of it as a calling card or membership card to grease some palms.

18: Archer goes every Wednesday to the British Museum to find peace like his mother. Awwwww so sweet. And it also had a ring to a truth to cover another truth. Don't you agree?

Hmmmm.

19: "I sense a predilection for trouble coming from you. I've no desire to encourage it.". What do you think, premonition? or the statement of inevitability?

Inevitable! And spot on!

20: Were you surprised with Miranda's reaction to Archer's admission about his intention to kill her father?

Honestly, I don't remember her reaction!

21: Oh my, the moment he took the mask off I stopped breathing. Thoughts?

Another mask?!?! lol

22: The masked man now is after Miranda. It appears that the main goal is not to kill Archer but destroy him. What can possibly Archer have done to someone be so intended on his eternal suffering?

That's a good question, but I'm guessing the club is involved.

23: Always the impulsive Miranda. Instead of staying put she dashes after Archer and ends up saving his life. The stitching part was a bit too much for me. Would you be able to do it?

Ew, yuck. No way!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 16 - 18

24) So we finally see Miranda in her element. ;) Quite an impressive power. What did you think of it? That's one very dangerous power to possess especially if you can't control it. It reminded me a touch of the 1984 Film Firestarter, featuring Drew Barrymore. Do you remember it?

Yes! That's what I was thinking too!

Heck no! She lies about her appearance and her relationship. She's definitely not to be trusted!

I kept wondering what it had to do with sunlight and the roses, too.

I think it's all Rossberry seeking revenge. They want him dead because Rossberry does. I am curious about the ring.

Werewolf right? He has to be something animalistic because there are way too many hints!

I agree!

YES! :)

I wonder if it's as bad as we think.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 19 - 22

Rossberry blames Archer for his appearance...which is pretty bad!

I like the tension between Ian and Miranda. I hope we see more of him. Such a cad.

Was Archer the experiment? Hmm.

I feel like he would understand, but I get that she's scared after what happened with her fiance.

So hot! Literally!

Definitely. This mystery is killing me!

I had the same thought about Ian. Felt like a red herring.

I agree.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 23 - 27

Please don't be a vampire. I will be so disappointed.

Definitely not human. Another experiment?

42. So Archer didn't complete the ritual all those years ago. Is that what the killer was referring? That he should complete the ritual?

Probably.

Maybe the changed part senses it means his destruction.

It's lucky for Archer he's a peer because otherwise he'd be hanged for sure.

45. "It can be done.
–L"

Me too!

46. Two days left to spend with Miranda. That sounds so final. Does that mean that he's planing to die? Or that he'll be changed forever?

Either way, it will disrupt his path. Sad days.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Questions and comments for Chapter 28 - end

47) So we finally find out what Archer was turning into--a light demon (aka Soul eater). Thoughts? Did you like how the have of him was like ice sculpture?

Kind of anticlimactic, no? A demon? Um, okay. I thought the skin thing was weird.

I liked that she used her gift to save him. Very lovely.

I don't think so. I'd want to hear all about his time though!

Extended life, for sure. Forever is a looooong time.

I think so! (I peeked.) :)

I loved it! Good mystery, likeable characters, and good ole Victorian setting. Just my kind of book!

message 47: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

BUDDY READ REVISIT! BUDDY READ REVISIT! BUDDY READ REVISIT!

descriptiondescription
This topic is open for discussion of Firelight. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:

Once the flames are ignited . . .

Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .

Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments I'm planning to start this one (hopefully) today!

message 49: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I'll start it tomorrow.

message 50: by K~Terror (last edited Nov 11, 2014 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments Vi wrote: "I'll start it tomorrow."

Sounds good! It's taking me longer than I thought to finish The Name of the Wind so it may be tomorrow before I'm able to start also.

« previous 1