Browncoats discussion

Introductions > Introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (summer_girl) | 2 comments Hi all~

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a Whedon fanatic for almost a year now, starting with Buffy and Angel. I've only recently started Firefly and, once again, I find myself hooked. This man's creativity is incredible. :) Anyways, I must declare myself a Firefly fan! I've watched the first three eps and am waiting for the next Netflix.

~Sara

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne G. Rihm | 17 comments Glad to have you onboard, Miss Sara!

You can view episodes of Firefly for free online at imdb.com & hulu.

Enjoy!
~Joanne

Jack the annoying freak (idkw) | 9 comments I bought all the episodes and watch them all at least once a month

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 216 comments Mod
Hi, Sara! Welcome! Have you also been watching Joss' current show Dollhouse? It's on Fox and you can also watch it online on Fox's website.

Jack the annoying freak (idkw) | 9 comments and hulu.com

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara (summer_girl) | 2 comments Thank you for the welcome! And no, I haven't been able to get my schedule clear for when Dollhouse is on. *cries* But I plan on visiting the online showings. :) Thanks for the tip!

Christina Stind | 4 comments I've been a Whedon fan since I first started watching Buffy. I have all seasons of Buffy on DVD and ditto Firefly and Serenity - although I'm only about halfway through Firefly.
I haven't gotten around to checking out Dollhouse yet.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 76 comments Did anyone see "Castle" on Monday 10/26?
Well in case you didn't, I wanted to mention this weeks episode was the Halloween episode, and in the first five minutes, "Mal" made a small appearance :)

Castle is trying on costumes and comes out in his browncoat and everything, claiming to be a "space cowboy." His daughter smiles and tells him there's no such thing as space cowboys, and then says "And didn't you wear that, like, five years ago?" or something along those lines.

I thought it was pretty cool so I wanted to share :)
If you'd like to see it, you might be able to find it here later.
He wears the costume for about ten minutes in the show :)

message 9: by Luann (last edited Oct 28, 2009 11:01PM) (new)

I'm just watching it now on Hulu, Cindy! Couldn't wait to come post about it. How fun! :) Very cool shout out to all the Browncoats.

Edit: Oh, and also a mention of Buffy when the victim is staked in a cemetery and has fangs.

message 10: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Hello! I'm new here, Love Firefly! Have been a Joss Whedon fan for quite some time now. Unfortunately wasn't able to catch any of his shows back when they aired, but that's okay, because I have the DVDs and was able to have Angel and Buffy marathons for a few weeks. :-D

Hooked on Castle because of Nathan Fillion, hooked on Chuck because of Adam Baldwin.

message 11: by Luann (new)

Welcome to the group, Anastasia! Have you watched any of Dollhouse?

message 12: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Thank You Luann!

Yep! I watched the first season, and a few of the second season episodes, but I have to sit down and catch up with the rest of Dollhouse.

message 13: by Luann (last edited Feb 09, 2010 12:31AM) (new)

We have a Dollhouse thread going here, too, so feel free to comment there if you would like.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 76 comments Oh new members! How fun :) Hi Anastasia :D

message 15: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Hello Cindy! :)

message 16: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hildesr) | 5 comments Hey y'all! I just discovered the wonderful show that is Firefly a couple of months ago, and I'm already on my second viewing (watched Jaynestown last night). Love, love, love it. Haven't seen anything else by Whedon yet, but I might have to do something about that. ;)

message 17: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments Hi, Hilde, welcome to the world of Whedon!! Although I became a Whedon fan through Firefly, I love all his other shows as well. I've just finished a rewatch of Buffy, S1 to 7, and will now continue Buffy in the comics. I'm also about to start S5 of my rewatch of Angel, as soon a I finish rewatching Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Dollhouse is next. :D

message 18: by Luann (new)

Hi, Hilde! Welcome! Jaynestown is one of my top favorites! I love it when they are all standing around staring at the statue. :) And then in the bar when they suddenly start singing Jayne's song! :D

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina I absolutely LOVE Firefly! A friend recommended it to me and it took me forever to watch it because it seemed so far outside of my genre, but I fell in love. I don't think I was even halfway through the first disc before I had ordered it (and Serenity) off of Amazon. That was back in December 2005 and it still reigns as my favorite TV series of all times. Funny thing is that my sister has tried and tried to get me onto Buffy and I can't get into to it. I never tried Angel, loved Castle season 1 (but don't want to spend the money to buy season 2--live in Taiwan and have to buy it off itunes and it is expensive!!!) I watched parts of Dollhouse season 1--it was just okay for me, didn't bother with season 2. There was just something magical that clicked together just right for Firefly. Sigh, love, love, love it. That's it, I'm going to have to have a marathon watch again. :)

message 20: by Luann (new)

Hi, Tina. Welcome!

message 21: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Hi Tina. And Hilde! Welcome to the wonderful world of Firefly! :-)

message 22: by Luann (new)

Hi, Melas! Welcome! We have a folder here called "Following Firefly" which can give you ideas for other shows to watch - most which have either a Joss Whedon connection or one of the actors from Firefly. Also, there are some great Firefly-related podcasts to listen to, and tons of fan fiction online, if you like that kind of thing. You could also check out the Firefly-related books that we have on our group bookshelf.

Does anyone else have other ideas?

message 23: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Hi Melas!

Have you watched the Firefly episodes with commentaries? Read the episode guides? Extra info on the episodes, the show, and the characters as well as actors in there. good stuff (MO anyway).

message 24: by Darbus (new)

Darbus | 42 comments Hey, everyone. Is this group still going to be active? It seems pretty awesome. I borrowed the DVD set, and I've watched all of the episodes, but haven't seen the movie yet. Firefly is absolutely amazing. The concept is brilliant, the dialogue is witty, the characters are believable and their interactions are interesting, etc.

message 25: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Hi! welcome to the group. :-)

message 26: by Luann (new)

Welcome to the group, Darbus! Which episode was your favorite?

message 27: by Darbus (new)

Darbus | 42 comments Probably Out of Gas, but maybe Objects in Space. I like how Out of Gas shows the background of the characters who were already associated with Serenity at the beginning of the pilot episode. I found Objects in Space interesting, because River brilliantly gets them out of a bad situation, but they never would have encountered that situation if it hadn't been for her.

message 28: by Luann (new)

Out of Gas is probably my favorite. I love the flashbacks and getting to see how they all first came together as a group.

message 29: by Darbus (new)

Darbus | 42 comments I also like how it runs in three different times at once, and it still works. Zoe's initial reaction to Wash is also really funny.

message 30: by Darbus (new)

Darbus | 42 comments Welcome! I completely second that motion. Since I got asked this, what's your favourite episode?

message 31: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments Poema (Elizabeth) wrote: "I haven't seen every episode yet, but I have to say Out of Gas. I just love all the flashbacks especially the one with Jayne."

yeah I agree it was cool seeing how they all came about being on Serenity..

message 32: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments yeah that was funny:D i'm so disappointed they never continued with a series 2:(

message 33: by Luann (new)

Welcome, Poema (Elizabeth)! And thanks for starting up some conversations!

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 76 comments yay, more members :) hi everyone!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 7 comments Hello, everybody! I'm Rachel, and, as I'm sure you've all guessed from my joining this group, I LOVE FIREFLY!

*Does a Japanese style bow and exits room*

*Yes, this thread is indeed a room*

*DON'T JUDGE ME!*

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 7 comments Oh, and I'm only on the episode "Trash", so I would appreciate it is people wouldn't direct any spoilers at me for the moment. As in, please no "Hi Rachel! Didn't you love when the magic unicorns saved Simon from being thrown into an enchanted batch of Evil Flesh-Eating Chocolate?!" Thanks. ;D

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 76 comments It wasn't magic unicorns that saved him, it was magical flying pigs with horns!

hehe, welcome :) and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, it only gets better ;)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 7 comments Gorram spoilers! Curse your sudden and inevitable betrayal! ;D

Yay! And I find that almost difficult to believe.

message 39: by Luann (new)

Welcome to the group, Rachel! I envy you having brand new (to you) episodes of Firefly in your future!

message 40: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments I wish I could go and watch them all again for the first time...

message 41: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments Welcome to all the new faces!

Jeannie - LOVE your user pic. Tenth Doctor rocks!

message 42: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 70 comments Thanks!! I know right.. He is amazing! but one one DW group there are a heap of people that don't like him..?? I mean what? he is amazing!!

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth (crazytarantelle) Hello all! My name is Beth and I have been a die hard Browncoat ever since the first episode aired on Fox many moons ago. I've seen every episode umpteen times and frequently insert random quotes into conversation totally confusing the Non-Browncoat that I'm talking to. I'm a total geek for this show and bow to the awesome Mr Whedon. *hugs show*

message 44: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 123 comments hi Beth! welcome to the group. I know the feeling of totally confusing non Browncoats with quotes from the show. I usually try to work a reference or two into my media degree university assignments/presentations/essays/reports. and I've actually used "Can't stop the signal" several times to refer to the power of the audience.

and , I'm really proud of myself for working in a Firefly reference during my speech on the importance of research during last year's Middle East Vegetarian Congress. that one just sorta happened, but it worked very well.

message 45: by Luann (new)

Welcome, Beth!!

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth (crazytarantelle) Thanks for the welcome Anastasia and Luann!

I've referenced Firefly in quite a few assignments myself. I once even had a professor who knew exactly what I was quoting and what episode I was quoting it from. For the rest of the semester we would talk Firefly before class. T'was amusing.

message 47: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Coletti (aubreytheauthor) | 6 comments Hi all! I adore everything about Firefly: the characters, the science-fiction in it, the actors, the storylines, the music, and of course, the power of the audience. I began by watching Serenity, and then found the show. Heck, I had only JUST started watching Firefly and was JUST finishing my novel, but I STILL see so many parallels (my novel is "Altered" available on here) and influences.

I dream of a day of having fans for myself like us Browncoats, but in the meantime just plain love being one!

message 48: by Luann (new)

Welcome, Aubrey!

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra (learob08) | 10 comments Hey y'all. My husband can't stop with the quotes. Everyday at least 10 to 20 times a day. People at his work just have to get by not understanding the brillance that is him and Firefly. Csutomers at my work look at me funny cause they don't know what shiny means. But then once in a while someone comes back with it and they get perks and freebies from me. Keep the quotes and dialog coming. Can't stop the signal.

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Coletti (aubreytheauthor) | 6 comments Debra wrote: "Hey y'all. My husband can't stop with the quotes. Everyday at least 10 to 20 times a day. People at his work just have to get by not understanding the brillance that is him and Firefly. Csutomers a..."

What? How could he shame you in front of all those people? How funny: but then, some people juggle geese, and if wishes were horses we would all be eating steak.

« previous 1