Browncoats discussion

Following Firefly... > Dollhouse

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 4 comments This may not be quite as topical as it should be, but is anybody else as excited as I am for Dollhouse to finally start? Here's hoping it lasts longer than half a season.

It's already started to get some good reviews:
http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/iltw/2009...

message 2: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 216 comments Mod
Thanks for posting that link, Logan! It does sound interesting. I'm looking forward for something worth watching to be on TV again! There just hasn't been much lately. I'm also looking forward to Lost starting again on Jan. 21.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 75 comments It actually does sound pretty interesting, I might check it out :)

message 4: by Luann (new)

They have a few cool videos on Fox's Dollhouse site. I especially liked the sexy, confident walk Joss does for Eliza Dushku.

http://www.fox.com/dollhouse/

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (myke56) I read a synopsis for it a while ago. It sounds interesting. I just might return to watching television for this show. Been a long time since now that I just buy DVD sets of my favorite shows.

message 6: by Luann (new)

Welcome to the group, Michael! I've thought about doing that, but there are certain shows (although fewer all the time) that I don't want to wait for. So far I only buy shows on DVD that I'm sure I want to watch more than once. Has a show ever been spoiled for you before it was out on DVD?

I have been watching a lot of shows online lately, though. It's very nice to fit shows into my schedule instead of the other way around. I also recently signed up for Netflix and caught up on all back episodes of The Office - which are all available to watch on their website and without commercials. I had heard good things about The Office, but didn't decide to start watching it until Joss directed an episode. :)

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice We have all the seasons of The Office on DVD. Which episode was directed by Joss?

message 8: by Luann (new)

Turns out he has directed two so far! I watched the second one, but didn't notice it was directed by Joss. The first one was "Business School" in season 3 - the one with the bat in the office - although apparently that was a coincidence. Read about it here: http://ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article...

The second one is "Branch Wars" in season 4. :)

message 9: by Luann (new)

Did anyone watch Dollhouse yesterday? I missed it on TV, but watched it online today. I didn't immediately love it, but I did like it a lot. I'll definitely watch future episodes. And it was fun seeing Amy Acker again, too!

message 10: by Lioness (new)

Lioness | 6 comments Watching online is a great way to show the network that people are watching it - that will help when they decide whether to pick it up for more episodes or not.

message 11: by Luann (new)

I hope it helps! It's certainly a nice option for catching up on shows you've missed or for keeping up on shows that don't fit into your schedule. (I don't have a DVR or TiVo.)

message 12: by Luann (new)

Did anyone watch the second episode? I enjoyed it even more than the first. Very intense. And we got to see the actor who played Badger on Firefly!

Jack the annoying freak (idkw) | 9 comments ya! and i put up a Dollhouse group! it's public so anyone can join.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4 comments I wasn't really sure about Dollhouse at first. I knew not to expect Firefly, but it seemed to lack some of the wit and fun that's laced throughout Firefly. However, there have been some interesting plot twists lately and I'm beginning to see a bit more of that Joss Whedon humor . . .

message 15: by Saira (new)

Saira (herumouni) I haven't seen it yet, but apparently Amy Acker (sp?) is in it somewhere. I love Fred. XD

Jack the annoying freak (idkw) | 9 comments look on hulu.com

message 17: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 4 comments It's definitely worth watching. Catch up with this season if you can. Every show has the beginning jitters, but the past 5 episodes or so have just been amazing, a perfect mix of that Whedon sense of humor and some really trenchant observations on what makes us human. A smart show, to be sure. Here's hoping it doesn't suffer Firefly's fate.

message 18: by Luann (new)

Is everyone keeping up with Dollhouse? The most recent episode "Briar Rose" was great! And guess who made an appearance? Alan Tudyk! So Joss had actors from Buffy, Angel, AND Firefly in this episode! :)

message 19: by Luann (new)

Did you watch the season finale of Dollhouse? If you haven't yet, I highly recommend it! Pure Joss with its twists and turns. You can still watch it online. Watch it so we can discuss!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4 comments I thought the last two episodes were great--especially with the appearance of Alan Tudyk (in a very non-Wash role). I hope FOX gives this show another chance; I was very hesitant about it in the beginning, but it has been steadily improving as the series goes on.

message 21: by Ian (new)

Ian Coomber | 14 comments Dollhouse is finally airing in the UK tomorrow (on SciFi), I can't wait!!!!!!!!

message 22: by Luann (new)

Ian wrote: "Dollhouse is finally airing in the UK tomorrow (on SciFi), I can't wait!!!!!!!!"

That's great! When you get a chance to watch it, come back and tell us what you think.

Amanda wrote: "I was very hesitant about it in the beginning, but it has been steadily improving as the series goes on."

I completely agree, Amanda. In the beginning, it was a show I enjoyed watching, but I wouldn't rearrange my schedule for it. I liked it more and more with every episode. I started wondering about the mysteries and caring about the characters.

message 23: by Ian (new)

Ian Coomber | 14 comments Finally got the season 1 DVD (I didn't watch it on TV, missed the first few episodes and so waited to watch it from the beginning). I agree that it definately gets better as it goes on, and Epitaph One was pure genius. A great episode that could have been the perfect epilgue if the series wasn't picked up for another season, but also a great teaser now that it has.

It gave me man reactions!

message 24: by Luann (new)

Ian, I hear the season 1 DVDs have two unaired episodes! I need to check it out!

Dollhouse season 2 starts on September 25! Click here to watch a very nice video of Joss talking about the second season. (Although those who like to stay completely spoiler-free might not want to watch it. He gives a few details of the first episode.)

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian Coomber | 14 comments Yeah, the season 1 DVD has Epitaph 1, which is the thirteenth episode of the season (but is really a stand alone episode) and the original unaired pilot. At least the region 2 does anyway, I'm assuming region 1 is the same.

message 26: by Luann (new)

Have any of you been watching Dollhouse season 2? I never seem to catch it on TV, but I've been watching them online. I really like season 2 so far. And guess who plays a new character, Senator Daniel Perrin? Alexis Denisof! His character is very different from Wesley (from Buffy & Angel). It's such fun getting to see all these Whedon alums again.

message 27: by Luann (new)

Just watched the most recent two episodes of Dollhouse - and guess who is a guest star?? Summer Glau! It's well worth watching if you haven't yet.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) | 75 comments I've never watched this show...

message 29: by Luann (new)

I enjoyed it a lot! I just caught up with the last few episodes - which are the final episodes of the show. :( Those final episodes show how far Joss Whedon can take a seemingly simple idea. I just wish that he would have been given at least one more season to get where he wanted to go. At least this time he was able to wrap things up, but it was all VERY quick.

message 30: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (samatwitch) | 29 comments I loved Dollhouse and still miss it. I'm about to start a rewatch as I have S1 on DVD and all of S2 on iTunes - will get it on DVD as soon as it comes out - it's available for preorder now from amazon.

message 31: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) ***Semi-Spoiler Alert, sorry***

I loved Dollhouse until the very end when they made the abrupt transition int the post-apocalyptic future. I thought that turn was too dismal for the show, which – though it hadn't exactly been pink and fluffy up until then – was generally light and humorous in its approach to the big moral qualms. (I actually liked the Dollhouse and was sad to see its downfall.) It seemed like they had to rush into the big finale because they were only going to get 2 seasons. Dollhouse was another very good show of Whedon's that didn't get the run time or appreciation it deserved.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth | 16 comments Joss needs to go all Oprah and have his own network so he can tell whatever stories he wants for as long as he wants to tell them.

message 33: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) Agreed!

message 34: by Luann (new)

Cool idea, Beth! How awesome would that be!!

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Hutchinson (thursamaday) | 4 comments I really liked this show. I just saw Felicia Day (she was in the epitaph episodes) at the Emerald City Comic Con. Which was really awesome. Also, 'Wash' was really great when he made a few appearances as 'Alpha'. If you liked firefly, you should give this a chance. Why Fox? Why?