A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1) A Child Called "It" discussion


312 views
A hard book to get through

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Michelle Jenkins I read this book about eight years ago because the author was on a talk show speaking about forgiveness. So, because I believe everyone has a story, and I find those stories interesting, I decided to get the book. But I have to say it was a hard read from beginning to end. If you plan to read this book be prepared and forewarned.


message 2: by Brisa (last edited Jan 30, 2008 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brisa it is a hard book to get through but i love stories of triumph, good book but very intense for sure.


message 3: by Jessica (last edited Jan 30, 2008 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica I agree with both of the comments above. I read this series years ago. It was difficult to read many of the passages in this book. The abuse described is brutal and sickening. I felt ill many times throughout all the books to the point where I had to put it down and walk away. Excellent, Excellent books.


Lara kessler I could not agree more with the posted comments. I am a mom myself and self scrutinize my parenting often. I felt like mother of the century after this book! But seriously, prepare yourself. It is gut wrenching what this boy went through, I got physically sick at times, because reading it is so vivid. I sat and cried many times, and had to put the book down. Prepare yourself to be disturbed, but also encouraged by this young boy's enduring will to triumph through adversity.


April When I read this a few years ago, I had a daughter who was the same age as David when his mother started the abuse, I will never ever understand how some people can and do hurt their children. My heart yearned to comfort this little boy!! It's the most disturbing book I've ever read, but I'm glad I read it. Dave Pelzer is an amazing person, and I loved reading about his courage. I recomend that if you do read this book, your read the rest of the story in the books that follow. It has a very happy ending!


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

ditto to those above
i just read the three
i believe he now has one more out
the importance i think was that this was a true story and he is very specific about how he survived and changed from a victim to having a wonderful life
it's a great life lesson for everyone
and yes, i also found myself disturbed, putting down the book and outraged as my grandchildren played around in the house as i sat on the couch reading
how could anyone do these things to a child or anyone
hooray for dave pelzer
thanks for giving us part of your strength


Mehreen I loved all 3 of his books as well. I read this book in a night the summer I was reading psychologically traumatic books (Sybil, She's Come Undone, etc.) It only took me that long because I had a hard time reading through my tears. I woke up early that morning to see my parents before work and tell them I loved them. This was heartbreaking to read.


trista It's definitely a terribly sad story, when I read the book about 3 years ago, I cried so many times.


message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick the amazing thing about this book for me was i how i couldn't wrap my head around the duality of the mothers love/hate. it was hard for me to see how she could love her other children and pile all her hate on this child. and the father. wow! how could he leave him there.

this book had to take so much courage to write!

i was grateful for the other two books so i could see the child called it turn into a child turn into dave.


Cynthia This book was so sad, the worst I think was when she stabbed him :(


Emily this book was so sad that i actually broke down in class when i read it! :(


Tracy This is a very emotional book and to think someone had to really live through it. I don't believe I have ever read anything as terrifying as A Child Called It. The saddest part to me was that he still loved his mother and wanted so badly for her to accept him.


message 13: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Bensley It's very hard to get through for almost anyone I'd say. What was so sad for me, was the way Dave kept remembering his Mother in the good days, when she was sweet and loving. It must have been so confusing and painful to see what she'd become, and continuously hope she might turn back one day.


Hylian Princess I don't know how someone could treat another person, their own child even, in such a way! It's sickening to read about what happened, but it's thought provoking and it's something you'll never forget. I read it sometime ago and I can still remember most of the stories in the book.


Atarah Poling I read this books because let's just say I didn't have all that great of a childhood either. It helped me a lot though because he's such a strong person. I hope that someday I will be able to be as strong as he.


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember the first thing I did after reading this book was apologise to my mum and dad for all the times I was little brat and for the times I must have claimed I hated them and they were horrible. I had a lot of emotional problems growing up wiv my mum mainly due to her depression but this book really made me see just how lucky I was. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect parent and I still think I'd make an awful mother myself.


Carrie Hackney I had to read this book in school. It was a very very hard one to read but such a great book. After finishing this one I was quick to read the next ones in the series. Amazing man and a great writer.


Amanda Lopez Read it twice, it doesnt get easy the next time around. God Bless David.


Misty Babb Very sad book! It was very emotional!!! As a mom I just can't understand how a mother could do this to her child! David is a strong person to be able to make it through all he went through and still be alive! He's an amazing man!


Jason Layton This book pissed me off! As i was reading i couldn't decide if i was sad or mad. The parents pissed me off, the brothers pissed me off, the whole damn book put me in a bad mood. Don't get me wrong it was a good book but it's horrible that people really get treated that way.


message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I agree with Jason. It was altogether very sad and depressing book but it tells a great story of child abuse and it should be heard in a form of a movie but I don't I could allow myself to watch it.


Katelyn vitale Me and my mom cried my eyes out it was a very depressing book but it is ture to because it dose happen. It may happen in your neigborhood and i just wish that those kids could have a great life. Im only 13 and reading that book has made me really apperciat what my mom dose for me and my family


Katelyn vitale Hylian Princess wrote: "I don't know how someone could treat another person, their own child even, in such a way! It's sickening to read about what happened, but it's thought provoking and it's something you'll never forg..."

People like that dont really deserve the kids that they do that to i was soo mad at the mom >.<


Jason Lilly It is through trials we grow. As tragic as this was, Pelzer is the man he is because of it. Not that this fact justifies the abuse or lessens the impact, but if I don't think about it like that I become filled with hate and that rarely leads anywhere good.


Jason Lilly Jason wrote: "This book pissed me off! As i was reading i couldn't decide if i was sad or mad. The parents pissed me off, the brothers pissed me off, the whole damn book put me in a bad mood. Don't get me wrong ..."

Well said, sir. That's why I had to approach it as I did. Bad things happen. We learn from them and we grow or we die.


message 26: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Very hard like Please Stop Laughing at Me... One Woman's Inspirational Story for instance...hard nonethless.


Aycal Herondale this is one messed up book. although it was 'good'it was quite disturbing and just really hard to get through. it was a page turner, but gruesome at the same time.


Lana Bradstream Many of my friends have told me this is heart-wrenching book. I am still on the fence as to whether or not to read it.


Eulalio Arcia It was a hard book to read. I recall driving home and wondering why that happened to that child. Couldn't help crying while reading it. I started hating his mom as well as his dad, but at the end I forgave them. Because it's all what this book is about, forgiveness.


message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield I thought it was very hard to get through the book but it was worth it because it was very good and very depressing


Karen Jason wrote: "This book pissed me off! As i was reading i couldn't decide if i was sad or mad. The parents pissed me off, the brothers pissed me off, the whole damn book put me in a bad mood. Don't get me wrong ..."

I agree with this also. they were all evil and ridiculous.


message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield I was very upset that dave's father didn't step in when his wife kept beating dave up


message 33: by Zach (new) - added it

Zach i wanted to slap dave's mother
it was so sad


Lana Bradstream I keep hearing this book has had a huge impact on a lot of people. I just don't know if I have the stones to get through it, yet.


message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield I really wanted to slap dave's mother too


Nicole Yes everyone should be warned that it is not for the feignt of heart. It includes very serious and hard to handle issues. It is hard to deal with the details especially the serious child abuse involved. However, saying that, it is a wonderful book because of his triumph over everything....the continuation of the story line of his life in the other two books makes you wish you were as strong a person as he has become.


Tracy This book, actually his whole series, were very difficult to get through, but in my opinion a must read. It is truly AMAZING to me that he became such an upstanding human being after his brutal childhood. Definitely not for the faint of heart as stated above but a good read.


message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield I think it was very hard to get through that book because you just wanted to slap dave's mother right in the face for what she was doing to him and i can't believe she took it out on his brother


Amber I read this book last year with one of my best friends and I think it was a great book but it was really horrible what that mother did to her son and i just wish i could jump through the book and like strangle her sometimes...ugh!!!!


message 40: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield I thought it was a very good book but it was very hard


Angel Christine wrote: "I was very upset that dave's father didn't step in when his wife kept beating dave up"

My god, me to. I was more angry with his dad then with his mother at times. His mother clearly has some type of psychological illness while his father just walks away because he can't stand watching it anymore.


Marylar i have read all david piltzers books . the things people do to thier children grerta books very emotional readding


message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield I think that mother should've been put to jail for what she did to her two sons


Amber i think that mother should have been put in some pysco house because of what she did to her sons


Amber i think that mother should have been put in some pysco house because of what she did to her sons


message 46: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield Yeah i agree with your idea amber


Rahma Ahmad Christine wrote: "I thought it was a very good book but it was very hard"

It was amazing book but it wasn't very hard as you say Christine, i really feel what the mother did to her sons.


Madelynn Hoover it was hard to read through it but it was such agreat book. the mother is so mean and should go in some therapy classes.


Denise Turney The book is hard to get through. Sadly, he's one of many abused children. I'm glad he told his story to shed light on what goes on in some homes. He also wrote a follow-up book. It's easier to read as you can see him finding his way.

Denise Turney
Author - Love Pour Over Me


Madelynn Hoover Denise wrote: "The book is hard to get through. Sadly, he's one of many abused children. I'm glad he told his story to shed light on what goes on in some homes. He also wrote a follow-up book. It's easier to r..."

ya i kinda put a mental image in my head so that it was easier. poor child,he seems like a child that everyone would love:/


« previous 1
back to top