Outread Aubrey! Challenge discussion

How this works...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 30, 2013 03:06PM) (new)

Howdy! I'm glad you've joined my little challenge! Or, if you haven't joined it yet, hopefully you will by the time you finish reading this.

If you read the description of this group, you're probably wondering who in the world I am and why in the world you should join my challenge (besides the fact that I'm offering prizes). Well, to answer your first question, I'm Aubrey Hansen. Short version is that I'm a published author of YA speculative fiction. For a longer explanation of myself, you can visit my website: http://www.aubreyhansen.com/

There's one important thing you should know about me, though: I don't read enough. Check my Goodreads profile and you'll see what I mean. I don't read a lot, especially for an author. And since I'm an author, I really oughta fix that and read more.

Well, new year, fresh start--now's a good time to fix that and challenge myself to read more! But it wouldn't be any fun to do it alone, not to mention I'll probably fail if I don't get a lot of accountability. I need a lot of people to read with me and keep me accountable. But how do I get a bunch of random people who don't even know me to keep me accountable? By offering free books! That always does the trick, right?

So I'm offering you a challenge. Read more books than I do in 2013 and you'll be entered in a giveaway for TBA prize(s). But to keep things more interesting (and satisfy my impatience), I'll also be drawing names for giveaways periodically throughout the year. The more books you read, the more entries you'll earn!

UPDATE: I clarified the rules for reporting and extended the deadline for submitting your final counts. Check this thread to make sure you're eligible for the grand prize giveaways! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Here's how it works...
1. Join this group and add me as a friend on Goodreads. (This is so that I can message you if you'er a winner, and also so I can stalk your shelves!)

2. Create a shelf on your profile titled "Outread Aubrey."

3. Post on this thread letting me know you're in.

4. Whenever you finish reading a book during the year of 2013, add it to the shelf. (Please only add books you've finished. Books you're currently reading don't count for the giveaways.)

That's it! No more work required. Once you've given me the link to your shelf, all you'll need to do is add the books you've finished to the shelf and I'll do the rest. I'll be checking the shelves and tallying the entries for the giveaways. Winners will be selected by random drawing and messaged through Goodreads.

How do you win?
Everyone who reads more books than I do by the end of the year will be entered in a grand prize giveaway. Check out my profile to keep tabs on my progress.

Additionally, throughout the year I will draw other random giveaways. Every book you add to your self earns you one entry, and all entries are recycled from month to month, so there's always a chance to win and it's never too late to join! Prizes for random drawings will be announced as they become available.

What can you win?
Books, of course! I'll offering an assortment of ebooks and print editions. You may also see some other bookish prizes here from time to time, depending on whether or not I can think of anything creative!

Want to earn extra entries?
Of course you do! You can earn extra entries by reading any of my books; each one will earn you three entries. Periodically throughout the year I will also feature other books; you'll earn a bonus entry for those as well. So if you feel like taking the extra effort, check back here on the forums and see what books are featured!

And that's it! Everyone is welcome to join, so invite your friends. Questions? Post away! And remember--the idea here is to make me read, so any pokes and prods are welcome!

Have fun, people, and here's to lots of happy reading in 2013!

FAQ
Answers to some frequently asked questions about the rules...

What if I join late in the year? --Any books you've read in 2013 count for the challenge, no matter when you join. Just sign up and update your shelf; I'll count all the books you've read so far this year next time I do a prize drawing.

What counts as a "book"? --Anything you can add on Goodreads counts as a "book." If it has a listing on Goodreads or you can (legally) make one for it, go ahead and add it! You can also count audiobooks.

message 2: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Victoria (auphidia) I'm in. :D This should be fun!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Brandy wrote: "I'm in. :D This should be fun!"

Awesome. :D Welcome! You get brownie points or something for being the first to post, too. ;)

message 4: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Victoria (auphidia)
Awesome. :D Welcome! You get brownie points or something for being the first to post, too. ;)"

Yay, brownies! :P *silly* I'm liking this challenge already. :D

message 5: by Corey (new)

Corey (corey17) | 149 comments Aubrey wrote: "Brandy wrote: "I'm in. :D This should be fun!"

Awesome. :D Welcome! You get brownie points or something for being the first to post, too. ;)"

Aubrey wrote: "Howdy! I'm glad you've joined my little challenge! Or, if you haven't joined it yet, hopefully you will by the time you finish reading this.

If you read the description of this group, you're pro..."

Okay, so I'm friends with you on GoodReads, and I've set up an "Outread Aubrey! Challenge" shelf. And that's all I need to do? :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm in!! :) I'm hoping this will actually help ME to read more... and to use Goodreads more. ;)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

That's it, Corey! Well, except for reading like there's no tomorrow. Which, you'll have no problem with that. ;) Thanks so much for doing me the honor joining up. :D

Oh, you'll quickly figure out that I'm silly/happy/snarky (or all three) most of the time, Brandy, so silly and sugary confections of all sorts are welcome here. ;)

Fantastic, Laura! Hey, if it gets two of us reading, we'll really be in business. B-)

message 8: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Noordhoek (melodykondrael) | 145 comments I'll need to make a shelf but I'm ready to beat ya... XD Because I know I can. I read far too many comics. XD

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Then prove it to me, bestie. XD And don't forget to make the shelf, or it don't count!

message 10: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Hey, why not? It sounds like fun...and I'm certainly open to adding some extra fun to my reading. :) I'm in—I'll create the challenge shelf as soon as I've got a book to add to it.

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe (yebard) | 34 comments Bring it on :)

message 12: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (malfhok) | 7 comments Do I need to give you a link to my Outread Aubrey shelf? I am definitely in!

Either way, here it is, all empty… http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

So glad to see you here, Elisabeth! Maybe we can read some historical fiction together? Some of your books are already on my Kindle, ready to be read. :D

Hey, Joe! :D

message 14: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Noordhoek (melodykondrael) | 145 comments There, I made it. XD And I do buy about four comics a month so that really does give me a boost... (though one of the miniseries I'm following is ending this month)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not like I'm going to complain if you beat me, so long as my Melsie is playing. XD

message 16: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Noordhoek (melodykondrael) | 145 comments But it's more entertaining if you complain.

message 17: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments I'm in, I suppose, but my reading time has gone down drastically since 2011 where I read almost 200 books in a single year.

message 18: by Leah (new)

Leah Good | 236 comments I signed up. :)

message 19: by Kendra (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 38 comments Hmm ... this might be good incentive to get me to actually keep track of what I read. I'm in! I just need to figure out how to set up that shelf ...

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments I signed up. :)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sawyer (sarah_elisabeth) | 3 comments I'm in. Does each book in the Bible count? ;-) At least I'll be able to add it at the end of the year.

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (stapledmustard) | 7 comments I'm in. :D Woohoo, something to keep me reading!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Meh, I'll find something more fun to complain about, Mel. ;)

Hi, Kaleb! Whoa, 200! But hey, if you read even a few books, you'll be in for some of the giveaways. Glad you're in!

*waves at Leah* Good to see you over here, too! :D

Hey, Kendra! If you need help setting up the shelf, just holler. Always nice to have more self-published buddies around! :D

Rachel! Good to see you! Thanks for joining in. :)

Heehee, no, it only counts if you read the entire Bible, Sarah, sorry. ;) Bible reading is the only reading I personally am not going to count, because I bounce all over the place with my reading and it's impossible to calculate. If you do a study book with your reading, however, you could count that.

All right, Ashley! Welcome aboard. :D

message 25: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments Yeah, I kept a record of them all in a journal too. I stopped counting. That's good then.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay, my little brother is here! Thanks for joining, Jeremiah. ^_^

message 27: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Scrivener (ravenofthewood) | 37 comments *is here too, though she doesn't think she'll manage much*

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie Hawthorne (curiouswren) I'm in, Aubrey! This should be a blast!! :D

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Zoeee! *huggles tight* I'm just glad to have you here, in any capacity. :)

Annie! I was hoping you'd join up. So glad you're here! :D

message 30: by David (new)

David Hartung | 1 comments This is to alert the Aubreyness that I have indeed taken the plunge... and added myself to yet another networking place. If I get addicted or anything... this is your fault!
So... only books that were read in their entirety in 2013 count? And do they have to be fiction?
And do audiobooks that are listened through count?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, you're an author--being active on Goodreads can pay off later. Why do you think I'm doing this challenge on Goodreads? So sure, I'll take the blame, and consider it a favor. See how well I take care of you as your coauthor? ;)

You need to finish the book in 2013 to count it; it's okay if you started it in 2012. Any kind of books count, and yes, audiobooks are fine.

message 32: by J. (new)

J. Pennington (jgracetheauthor) | 74 comments I'm in. :) Here's my shelf so far: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sawyer (sarah_elisabeth) | 3 comments I'm doing a through the Bible in a year program, so I'll get to count the whole Bible at the end of the year ;-)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Gracie! Yay! :D *hugs*

I think I'll be doing the same, Sarah. :)

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie Daniels | 242 comments I'm in! I'm in! I almost forgot to post here. Linkie! http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 37: by Faith (last edited Jan 07, 2013 07:36PM) (new)

Faith (faithblum) | 173 comments I'm in! This sounds great!

And here's the link to my shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 40: by Elisabeth (new)

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sawyer (sarah_elisabeth) | 3 comments Here's a link to my shelf. Have one on it already ;-) (a book I think you'd love, too, Aubrey)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 42: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Smith | 5 comments I'm in! Here's a link to my shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 43: by Shadow (last edited Jan 08, 2013 10:32AM) (new)

Shadow | 41 comments I'm in! http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

What about unpublished books that we read, from friends or whatever? Do those count or no?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful! We have over 20 participants so far, and January's not even half over. :D Thank you, everyone!

I've added that book to my to-read list, Sarah. :D

Hooray, Jemimah! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of my books.

Shadow, unfortunately you can only count books that you can add to Goodreads, because that's the only way I can keep track of entries. So if the book is scheduled to be published soon(ish) and you want to make a Goodreads listing for it, you can do it that way.

message 45: by Shadow (new)

Shadow | 41 comments Very wellll. lol. That's okay. It makes sense. ^.^

message 46: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithblum) | 173 comments Can we count books we listen to?

message 47: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (malfhok) | 7 comments Faith wrote: "Can we count books we listen to?"

I'd like to know this as well. I just finished editing an audiobook, and I hope it counts. :-)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Absolutely! As long as you read the entire book, it doesn't matter what format you consumed it in. :)

message 49: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithblum) | 173 comments Aubrey wrote: "Absolutely! As long as you read the entire book, it doesn't matter what format you consumed it in. :)"

^_^ Yay!

message 50: by Alyssa (last edited Jan 09, 2013 09:38PM) (new)

Alyssa (thewanderlyz) | 27 comments I'm in! Is this only for fiction books? :)

« previous 1 3 4