75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4111 comments Mod
Several times a year we participate in group readathons. This thread will be used to share information on upcoming readathon events.

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7646 comments Mod
That sounds fun! And I still haven't read Ethan Frome but it's one of the Kindle freebies so I have it. Sounds good!

message 3: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Sounds great Karen! I don't think I will be around and I've already read this book. If people want to do it together I can post a thread for you guys so you can chat during the weekend.

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I totally forgot about it until your post popped up. :( I was getting my hair done whilst you were reading! Lol.

message 5: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Sorry for the radio silence. I know that Andrea's been super busy, and I've been having intermittent computer issues for the past several weeks, and I didn't want to set up a readathon until I was confident one of us could be around to lead it.

Our first group readathon for the year will be the first weekend in May. These are completely optional, so if you don't want to participate, don't sweat it. If you DO want to but can't this time, don't worry, there's always next time!

More details to come.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 500 comments Just in case anyone in this group is interested, Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is happening this Saturday! This is THE read-a-thon, at least in the book blogging world. It's a great time; I highly recommend it! :)

message 7: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Details for our first group Readathon:

Event will be held Saturday and Sunday, May 4-5. This isn't a 48-hour read-till-you-drop kind of thing, but it IS a way to take a couple days to push ahead on your yearly goal, knowing that others are doing the same thing.

If you plan to participate, post here with your goals for the weekend -- a certain amount of time spent reading, or a page count you're aiming for, or the book(s) you want to get through by the time the weekend is over.

Happy reading!

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie | 391 comments I would love to join in. I'm currently working my way through Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series while I care for my dad (easy, fun reads to help get through a very stressful time). I just started A Rule Against Murder. My goal for the Readathon will be to finish it by the end of the weekend.

message 9: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 9 comments i have been stalled on two books for months: Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan and Skagboys by Irvine Welsh. the saddest thing about it is that these are two of my favorite authors. this challenge would be a good time to power through the rest of the two books and finally finish them.

message 10: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Karen wrote: "After reading the Dewey's link (above) I was under the impression one had to have a blog to participate. Is this necessary to participate?"

The Dewey read-a-thon is completely separate event. Our group read-a-thons happen right here on the group discussion board, so there's no requirements to participate... other than to read, of course!

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Looking to finish the 2 books I'm reading, one of which is a struggle because it's so bad but I'm no quitter, and start and finish a third book.

message 12: by Tuğçe (last edited May 03, 2013 11:45AM) (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Thank you for letting me know about this event Charleen, that's great and I want to read, A Terrible Love, Where'd You Go, Bernadette and Rule, guess that'll take me at least 20 hours to read them all ;), but all are easy reads and I needed to read them all ages ago. So someone has to push me! thx

message 13: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Looks like we've got several people on board!

I was hoping to finish re-reading The Last Oracle tonight, but I don't think it's going to happen. So, I've got that, plus The Hit that I'd like to read by Sunday night.

Check in periodically throughout the weekend to let us all know how you're doing!

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

The 'start and finish' third book of mine will be The Vow which is only $3.79 on Amazon right now! The book the movie was based on. I'm hoping the loose ends will be tied a little more in the book. The movie was really good though.

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hi guys,

I'm planning on joining in tonight! I'm hoping this gets me into reading again, I've been in a major slump and I've not been reading anything for months!!

message 16: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I just got home from work and ate dinner, I have to workout and shower before I can start reading. No wonder why I can't get any reading done...hahahah

message 17: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments My daughter has a soccer tournament this weekend but this is a incentive to pull Pope Joan out of the night stand and finally finish it.

message 18: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments My daughter has a soccer tournament this weekend but this is a incentive to pull Pope Joan out of the night stand and finally finish it.

message 19: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 04, 2013 05:54AM) (new)

Starting off the Readathon on a beautiful Saturday morning:

78% through After Eden - Katherine Pine (348 total pages)
28% through The Awakening & Selected Short Stories - Kate Chopin (re-read from college) (225 total pages)
0% through The Vow - Kim & Krickitt Carpenter (180 total pages)
0% through Across the Universe - Beth Revis (e-library book due back on Monday) (448 total pages)

Happy Reading everyone!

message 20: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Woke up way late, and we're heading off to see Iron Man 3 in a short while. Hmm, not the best start...

pg 159/434 - The Last Oracle

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie | 391 comments Starting off on page 92 of 303 - A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny.

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 04, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Late midday progress:

50% through The Awakening & Selected Short Stories - Kate Chopin (225 total pages. Was on page 63 this morning. On 109 now)
25% through The Vow - Kim & Krickitt Carpenter (on page 45 of 180)
0% through Across the Universe - Beth Revis (448 total pages)

Finished After Eden - Katherine Pine (had 77 pages left of 348)

message 23: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments pg 313/434 - The Last Oracle
pages read: 154

It's not been a great day...

message 24: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Between games yesterday I got through 3 chapters of Pope Joan. Just read 2 more chapters before breakfast. On page 174/420

message 25: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Finished The Last Oracle
pages read: 275

Well, now that I'm to where I'd hoped to be before the readathon even started... there's pretty much no way I'll read another entire book by tonight, but I hope to get a good chunk of the way into it.

Starting The Hit - 392 pages

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Sunday midday progress:

65% through The Awakening & Selected Short Stories - Kate Chopin (225 total pages. On 141 now)
10% through Across the Universe - Beth Revis (448 total pages)

Finished The Vow - Kim & Krickitt Carpenter (180 total pages)

message 27: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

So far I got about 80 pages in this weekend, I'm hoping to use the next hour or so to hit at least 100. This stinks for me for a readathon, but is great considering how little I've been reading.

message 28: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments 215/420 not much progress :(.

message 29: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Ok I didn't have time to write during the weekend here much, had a sleepless saturday night and a very bad headache as a result on sunday, but I manage to read some and finish one book -not the one on my list, started something else- Dare You To spent around 10 hours reading this one, so yes sleepless saturday night ;) and a bit of sunday night. And I have read 148 mins of Where'd You Go, Bernadette which is almost the half of the book for me. Didn't have a chance to start the third one. ;)

message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Final Readathon tally:

78% through The Awakening & Selected Short Stories - Kate Chopin (225 total pages. On 174 now)
24% through Across the Universe - Beth Revis (448 total pages)

Finished The Vow - Kim & Krickitt Carpenter (180 total pages)

Total pages read: 476

Gotta keep my wifi turned off on my Kindle because Across the Universe is due back today and I'm not done! Lol. Best way to cheat at returning e-books. I finished The Awakening but didn't read the other stories. i plan to. My weekend consisted of sleeping, eating, and reading! Not that I'm complaining! :)

message 31: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments I ended up doing better this weekend that I thought I would. Last night I stopped at page 206/392 of The Hit. So, not only am I just over halfway through, and should definitely finish it today, but that means my total for the weekend was 481 pages... not bad at all! Had I realized I was so close I probably would have pushed for 500, but oh well. Still lots of reading done... and the reason I didn't make my goal has more to do with a lack of reading during the later part of last week than a lack of reading during the readathon... though I do still wish I could have fit more in on Saturday.

message 32: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Karen, The Awakening is all I've read so far by Kate Chopin but it's a good story. It's very eye-opening about how women were forced to live and how some just cracked. I definitely recommend it. I still have to read the other stories in the book!

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie | 391 comments I'm disappointed to report that I only made to page 116 in A Rule Against Murder. However, lately any reading I get in is a bonus! Thanks for the Readathon, it was fun joining in!

message 34: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 9 comments unfortunately, i didn't finish either of the books that i committed to finish. i only read a couple chapters of one of them. i'm starting to think that i'm going to have to move those books to the 'did not finish' column. bummer.

message 35: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments I'd like to organize another group readathon sometime in the next couple months, but in the meantime, here are a couple outside events for anyone interested.

Bout of Books is a week-long read-along running from August 19th to 25th. It's primarily a book blogger event, but you don't have to have a blog to participate. There's a tutorial on how you can link up using Goodreads updates on the Help page.

More information, including a sign-up page, can be found here: http://boutofbooks.blogspot.com/

Also, I'm co-hosting a read-along of The Shining in September, to get ready for the sequel coming out, Doctor Sleep. If you're interested in reading (or re-reading) along with us, the sign-up post is here: http://www.tiftalksbooks.com/2013/08/...

message 36: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments We'll definitely be doing another "Last Chance Readathon" to close out the year... that was a really popular one last year. But is anyone interested in doing one more before then? I've set up a poll with a few options:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/90171

message 37: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hi Charleen, I would love to do another or even more before the end of the year. I'm going to check the poll and see what dates you picked. I have some mandatory weekends at work coming up and one trip to my in laws that I will have to work around. I have done so little reading this year it would be great to get back into the swing!

message 38: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Andrea, I just picked some random dates that would be good for me, but we can certainly do more. I do think we should plan for the last weekend in December for sure, though... it's just a great way to close out the year.

message 39: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Looks like the dates you picked will work good for several of us. We could try to do one for each remaining month this year? I would love to get reading again and at least hit 25 books for the year.

message 40: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments The most popular weekend on the poll is October 25-27... but that seems so far away! We'll definitely do one that weekend as well, but I think I'll be doing my own push this weekend, and anyone who wants to should feel free to join me.

So...

September 20-22
October 25-27
December 27-31

My November is up in the air so I don't know when/if I'll have a good weekend for it. But Andrea, if you want to schedule one, we'd have your one-a-month.

I'll pop in on Friday with my goals for the weekend.

message 41: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Sounds good. i'm in for this weekend, so long as I remember! :) And it'll get me to 75 and then some!

message 42: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Im in for this weekend too! I may have to go to my in laws on Saturday but that gives me 3 hours reading in the car in addittion to Friday night and all day Sunday.

as for November, I have no problem leading another one if people are interested.

message 43: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Looks like no in-laws this weekend! As much as I love them I am thrilled that I have a weekend of reading and resting ahead. it has been extremely busy at work and this is just what I need.

I'm starting to put together a list of what I want to read. I'm already over 1000 pages...hahah

message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Yeah, I've got a few books to finish this weekend and a few to start and finish. Lol. 3 library e-books due next week, only 1 of which I've started, barely. A few galleys and ARCs I won that I want to get to. Gonna be a SERIOUS reading weekend.

message 45: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Woohooo, it will be nice to have several of us reading together!

message 46: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Welcome to the September 2013 Readathon!

Please feel free to post below. Everyone is welcome just jump in if you want to tell us about what you are reading this weekend and hope to accomplish.

message 47: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

My goal for this weekend is 1000 pages! I have lots of books piled up and as soon as we clear the dinner table I'm diving into my first book!

This time I picked a variety of books that I hope to read a couple hundred pages in each one. I have two classics, a non-fiction, one suspense, a chick lit, and some other odds and ends.

I will see you all around 8 pm tomorrow. HAPPY READING :)

message 48: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1448 comments Reading goals:

- finish re-read of The Shining (158 pages)
- finish current book: Contaminated, Em Garner (190 pages)
- read at least one more complete book (??? pages)
- maybe start another???

message 49: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Readathon Goals:

* Finish The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) - Maggie Stiefvater (Previous e-book purchase on sale) 468 pages. 62% through (on page 319).
* Finish Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty #1) - AN Roquelaure aka Anne Rice (Library e-book due Sunday) 253 pages. 10% through (on page 27).
* Read Beauty's Punishment (Sleeping Beauty #2) - AN Roquelaure aka Anne Rice (Library e-book also due Sunday) 256 pages.
* Read Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies #4) - Pittacus Lore (Library e-book due next week) 416 pages.
(Tentative) * Read Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle #2) - Maggie Stiefvater (NetGalley e-book) 416 pages.
(Tentative) * Read Shards of Time (The Mountain Gate Chronicles #1) - Seth Scharon (Goodreads ARC I won a few months ago) 306 pages.

Total Pages for Goal: 1769 pages. YIKES!
Minus 'Tentatives': 1047 pages.

The only things I've got going on this weekend are splitting/stacking wood Saturday afternoon and babysitting my 2-year-old nephew for 3-ish hours on Sunday.

Both Sleeping Beauty books are re-reads. I read them when I was about 13 or 14, my mom owned them (scandalous! lol). Way pre-Fifty Shades of Grey. And way better from what I remember, though again I was a young teen when I read them first and I probably shouldn't have. lol.

message 50: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Wow, we aim high!..hahaha I'm sitting at work itching to get home so I can start reading. Thanks for getting this going Charleen, I'm feeling inspired to get some serious reading done!

« previous 1 3