Start by marking “The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)

(The Selection #0.5)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  65,825 ratings  ·  4,062 reviews
Before thirty-five girls were chosen to compete in the Selection...

Before Aspen broke America's heart...

There was another girl in Prince Maxon's life...

Don't miss this thrilling 64-page original novella set in the world of the New York Times bestselling novel The Selection. Also features a teaser to The Elite, Kiera Cass's hotly anticipated sequel to The Selection.
Published March 5th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Prince, please sign up.
Gizelle You should read it like this I believe this is the correct order
The Favorite
Bu…more
You should read it like this I believe this is the correct order
The Favorite
The Heir
But also here is another order,
The Favorite(less)
Hannah This does take place before The Selection, but I think you're supposed to read it after you read the first book otherwise I don't think it'd really ma…moreThis does take place before The Selection, but I think you're supposed to read it after you read the first book otherwise I don't think it'd really make much sense because you wouldn't know Maxon as a character already. And it's not really written like it's introducing you to him you know? Kinda just giving some backstory to what you learn in The Selection, which is such a quick read you could probably speed right through it.(less)

·  65,825 ratings  ·  4,062 reviews

Start your review of The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)
Ruth
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Does anybody else's heart melt in to warm chocolately happiness whenever they think of Maxon?
Sam
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Maxon lovers:)
I can't wait to read this!!!!! OMG OMG!!!
Jonah Hill photo fangirl.gif

Prince Maxon!!!!
There was another girl in Maxon's life
SHOO photo himym18.gif WHAAAAATTTT???????
============
Update:(Read) 7/29/13
Amy
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reaction 1: A book about Maxon...?

Followed immediately after by:

Reaction 2: Fangirling time...

description

Reaction 3:...WHAT DO YOU MEAN ANOTHER GIRL?!

description

Reaction 4: March. Really? You've got to be kidding me. March.

description

I want this book now........
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
Buddy read with my, girl Desireé :)

3 Knowledge isn’t love ★'s

“There was something about her.. Even the way she didn't like me drew me in, and I couldn't help but smile.”

This novella is fast passed and really easy to read. But for me, it was just alright. I didn't love it but I can't say I hated it either. It's written in Prince Maxon's POV which was initially what drew me to want to read it in the first place. It takes place a couple of weeks before The Selection which just so happens to b
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ninoska Goris

Español - English

La historia El Príncipe está ambientada dos semanas antes de la Selección, a partir del cumpleaños 19 de Maxon y, aunque nos da la oportunidad de saber como se siente con el proceso, esta historia solo me sirvió para saber el porque de la actitud de la reina Amberly con la reina de Francia Daphne en el libro La Heredera.

✨✨✨

The story The Prince is set two weeks before The Selection, starting on the 19th birthday of Maxon and, although it gives us the opportunity to know how he f
Jessi Galloway
So...
My reaction when I realized not only was there going to be a Novella to the Selection series, but one from Prince Maxon's POV-my reaction might have looked a little something like this...

yes.yes.Yes!

My Reaction when I saw that I would have to wait until march...

Yeah, I know the feeling.

Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I'm currently reading THE ROYAL WE with the Unapologetic Romance Readers (or the "Romaniacs", as Karly calls them), and that put me in the mood for more trashy royal drama. Conveniently, I received a notification that I'm next on the waitlist for THE SELECTION, and since the prequel was available, I thought I'd read it & see what I'm getting myself into.

At its heart, THE SELECTION is an interesting and titillating idea - what happens if
Claudia Ramírez
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I just love Maxon so much <3. ...more
Jerlyn
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.10.13
I love that this novella is in Maxon's POV but i'm also disappointed because it was so short. I WAS EXPECTING MORE FROM MAXON'S SIDE OF THE STORY. *sigh*

12.25.12
OH. MY. GOD. It's written in Maxon's POV!!?!?

elena
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
❝I smiled to myself thinking of America, measuring her against the other girls. She was pretty, if a bit rough around the edges. It was an uncommon type of beauty, and I could tell she wasn’t aware of it. There was a certain . . . royal air she didn’t seem to possess, though there was, perhaps, something regal in her pride. And, of course, she didn’t desire me at all. Still, I couldn’t shake the urge to pursue her. And that was how the Selection did its first act in my favor: if I had her her
Andrea
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oookay, unf.
I was worried about the other girl.
But at the end everything was good!

I just love how Maxon thinks, how all his life he had been taught to be someone, of how to be the prince and how he in his own way he rebels against it.

And I loooove his POV the first time he met America in the gardens, he really did fell for her at the begining.

Review before reading:
Gimme, gimme! Gimme NOW.
Ooh, Maxon. I'm not the kind of girl that chooses teams, but baby I'm Team Maxon all the way! And not jus
Stacia
Oct 02, 2012 added it
The Selection by Kiera Cass

10-2-12; 10:45pm : WHAT IS THIS? WHY AM I JUST NOW HEARING ABOUT THIS? GIMME!

I hope they actually PRINT this! All these e-novellas are really getting me down. :c

12-30-12; 12:13pm : NOOOO. ebook only?! :c

3-2-13; 9:14am
Unfortunately, i will not get to read this book. Which is such a bummer. I'm really upset about it and the multiple e-book short stories being released. :c No e-reader = no bueno.
Wart Hill
Feb 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
It was an uncommon type of beauty, and I could tell she wasn't aware of it.

I am sick and fucking tired of this trope. It's okay to be aware of your beauty. It doesn't magically make you less beautiful if you are, if you own it and are confident in it. Unfortunately there's this pervasive bullshit lurking everywhere, assuring girls that they are more beautiful if they aren't aware of their beauty for some stupid reason I can't figure out.

Fuck. That. Shit.

And fuck Maxon for thinking it.

This novell
l
Oct 05, 2012 added it
IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT HAS A COVER. IT H ...more
Jessielou

Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!! If you're gonna tell me there's a novella in Maxon's point of view that doesn't come out til march 2013, then don't tell me until the month, or even the week before! I can't deal with all this waiting!!!!!

Please give me a sneak peak?
Tiffany Noel
A book from Maxon's POV? HECK. YES! Wait... *sees that format is only e-book*

Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
Short and sweet. This little novella features my favorite Prince. Maxon is too sweet and sheltered. I adore him and wish this book was longer. Highly recommended for diehard fans of the series.
• Lindsey Dahling •
Oh, it was fine. It doesn’t add much to Maxon’s character other than seeing he’s a pile of nerves all the time.

It would’ve been fun to see him interact with the other girls on the dates we don’t get to see (and America annoyingly never asks about), but we don’t. We barely get to see his first interactions with a few of them (Celeste, Kriss, America, and one he found boring whose name I’ve already forgotten).

You can read this or skip it. You’re reading fluff either way.

Also, my autocorrect keeps
Yoda
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like getting to know prince before everything starts. And I like that he is so nervous about the whole thing! Its adorable!
Nicola
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, fiction
I often wondered what would be running through Maxon’s mind during the start of the Selection; he seemed so confident and assure of himself, it was nice to see a snapshot into his real thought processes in this short story. It’s so hard not to be drawn in and taken aback by Maxon’s character, his patience, his kindness and his vulnerabilities and insecurities which we get to see a bit more in this story.

I love a backstory and loved the slight overlap between The Selection and this, adding Maxon
Candace
Quick and easy read, providing a glimpse of Maxon's thoughts. If you enjoyed te first book in the series, you'll probably like this little extra as well.

Retelling a few of the pivotal moments from 'The Selection' from Maxon's POV helped answer some of my lingering questions about what he was really thinking and what his motives were. Background information related to the selection of candidates and preparation for the "lottery" was revealed, exposing a few more pieces of the puzzle. Maxon's fat
Maisha
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
My heart…Prince Maxon…
♡ diasreads ♡
I WANT MORE MAXON SHREAVE.
Please.

I don't care if you think I'm shallow for liking this series but Maxon is one of my fictional boyfriends and I love him so much.

Roxanne
Oct 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
I'm not sure what this is about but for some reason I want to read it... well I have some idea what it's about but still... not much...

It says that it's related to The Selection so I guess I'm probably going to read it. Curses now I'm excited!

ambsreads
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella
I would definitely still read The Selection from Maxon's point of view, because damn my heart. My hopeless romantic soul can't help but love him.
Angelica
Not as good as The Queen, but good enough I guess. This is the second novella in the Selection series and, as the title would imply, it is told from the point of view of Prince Maxon.

This shows Maxon as he was before and in the first few days of the Selection. The problem was that I didn’t actually start liking Maxon till The Elite.Up until things started going wrong, and the action started to actually build, I always though Maxon to be pretty bland. The entire first book her was kind of just ‘t
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Now I am thinking, Maybe I am reading in the wrong sequence I should read these by following publishing years.

“Knowledge isn’t love”

This story is from Prince maxon’s perspective, how a prince thinks about the selection, He is young and scared to choose a girl from selection who maybe not right for him and this is the thing I liked from this novella as The Queen is from a commoner’s perspective this one is from a prince, who is so confused but bound to follow the tradition of his country.

Same li
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
"You're an idiot Maxon Schreave. Your parents have completely sabotaged you. You could have a thousand girls set in front of you, and it would matter. You're too stupid to see love when it stands right in front of you."

Maxon is just confused and frustrated because he doesn't want the selection to happen. He does eventually see love when it stands in front of him and man it's adorable!

"Even if the girl you chose is of a very low caste, even if others think she has no value, I will always listen
Jamie
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a quick filler read that gives the reader a bit more perspective on Prince Maxon. We also get to know a bit more about his parents. One thing I will say is I do not like his father. This takes place around the same time as the start of The Selection, before the girls are picked. we meet his childhood friend Daphne (also royalty) and we see his meeting of America, Celeste and the others from his point of view. It was an enlightening read as to what to possibly expect in the next book.
Around the Year i...: The Prince, by Kiera Cass 2 22 Dec 06, 2016 10:21PM
who will maxon choose? 83 512 Aug 04, 2015 06:28PM
The Nooks of Books: The Prince (The Selection, 0.5) 3 10 Feb 06, 2015 10:53PM
The Selection Ser...: The extended ending from The Selection Stories 1 18 Apr 23, 2014 03:28AM

• After The One
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • Heist [Darks #2]
  • Steel Scars (Red Queen, #0.2)
  • Sigue Mi voz
  • Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • Reached (Matched, #3)
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Dulce pecado (Memento Mori nº 3)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • A través de mi ventana (Hidalgos #1)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)