The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Poll Open - Jan/Feb 2013 Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2013 07:45PM) (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Poll Open for Jan/Feb Group Read
Voting will take place until Jan 11th.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be the discussion moderator.

2) One (1) nomination only per person. Neither self-nominations by authors nor nominations by their respective publishers or publicist will be accepted.

3) Do not cheat or manipulate results. It is not acceptable to create fake accounts to nominate books or vote in polls and it is not acceptable to invite people to the site for the sole purpose of nominating a book or voting for a book in a poll. It is not acceptable to ask for votes or influence the poll in any way. If the moderators feel that a group read poll has been manipulated, the book in question will be disqualified. If the moderators feel that the user(s) are fake accounts, these will be reported to Goodreads for further review.

4) Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year. http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

5) For your nomination please include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available in more than one format. the last thing we want is to nominate a book that no one can get.

Finally, a word about series - the joy or bane of a mystery reader's life! Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series or can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill I'd like to nominate Missing: Presumed Dead by Hawkins James. This is the first Inspector David Bliss mystery. Here is a plot summary for your consideration.

"Detective Inspector David Bliss has been transferred from London, England, to Hampshire in what appears to his new subordinates and superiors as a move down the career ladder. His first day on the job begins with a murder: Jonathan Dauntsey, son of the Major, willingly confesses to murdering his father. It's an open-and-shut case, until the investigation stalls when the police can't find the body.

D.I. Bliss follows a trail of clues that lead him back in time to the point where the central presumption of the case - a murdered father - comes into question. Who did Jonathan Dauntsey murder, if anyone at all? As the mystery of the murder begins to resolve itself, so does the mystery of Bliss's transfer from the big city to a small town"

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I'll nominate The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller.

I've heard very good things about this one.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 233 comments Happy New Year everyone!

I'll nominate Case Histories, the first of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie detective series, which was filmed by the BBC a couple of years ago.

message 5: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 33 comments Can I second Case Histories as I enjoyed the series a lot (and look forward to series 2 coming soon) and i have this in my TBR pile.

message 6: by Gary (new)

Gary (authorponzo) | 17 comments I'd like to nominate Denis Lehane's Live by Night Great read.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (glamourass1) | 20 comments I'll nominate Creep by Jennifer Hillier

message 8: by Russell (new)

Russell Atkinson | 98 comments I nominate The Barbed-Wire Kiss by Wallace Stroby (Harry Rane #1).

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (spg-) I nominate Candlemoth by RJ Ellory

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 15 comments I'd like to nominate Brass Knuckles by Larry Matthews

message 11: by Alfred (new)

Alfred Nobile (htpsgoodreadscomalfrednobile) | 24 comments Stephen wrote: "I nominate Candlemoth by RJ Ellory"

2nd this

message 12: by David (new)

David (davidfromky) | 9 comments Two Graves by Preston and Childs.

message 13: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments I would like to read Defending Jacob by William Landay.

message 14: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) I would like to nominate Hard Way by Lee Child.
The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10) by Lee Child

Peace, Seeley

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Esterel | 2 comments I would like to nominate The Oligarch: A Thriller by G.W. Eccles

message 16: by Gail (last edited Dec 31, 2012 11:04AM) (new)

Gail  Gentry (gailgentry) | 17 comments I would like to nominate Jet by Russell Blake. He has just released #4 in the series, but I would recommend starting off with the first one. I've read the first two and have the others cued in my Kindle. It's a fast-paced, action series with a strong female lead, Jet, a former Mossad operative. It's a really compelling read I found hard to put down until finished.

message 17: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 537 comments How about the The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (trainedtocare) | 24 comments How about, Fear Collector by Gregg Olsen

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I would like to nominate Death at Bishop's Keep (A Victorian Mystery, #1) by Robin Paige by Robin Paige

message 20: by Guy (new)

Guy I'm not nominating, but I wanted to comment that there are some great choices here...

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments Gary wrote: "I'd like to nominate Denis Lehane's Live by Night Great read."

I think the group has already read something by Denis Lehane in the last year.

Also, the nomination for Lee Child - that's number 10 in the Jack Reacher Series (not being OCD or anything).

message 22: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 10 comments Yes I would like to join in on a Lee Child read... The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10) by Lee Child

and this looks a good read...especially topical in the UK at the moment as "Jack Reacher" has just been released amidst a great amount of conversation re TC's suitability or not as the lead role..

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to nominate Green Power by Charles Vrooman.
On Kindle

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam (trainedtocare) | 24 comments I got a kindle for Christmas!

message 26: by Diana (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

Diana Hockley (cadfael) | 6 comments I would like to nominate Coming Home by Roy Stolworthy

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarajov) | 2 comments I'd like to nominate In Her Shadow by August McLaughlin. In Her Shadow by August McLaughlin

message 28: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Georgia wrote: "How about the The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian"

Hi Georgia. While I've heard great things about The Sandcastle Girls it's listed as historical fiction and literary fiction. It does not seem to be a mystery.

Would you like to nominate a different book?

message 29: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

David wrote: "Two Graves by Preston and Childs."

Hi David, We read a Preston and Child book in August and we try not to repeat an author for a year.

Would you like to nominate another book?

message 30: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Gary wrote: "I'd like to nominate Denis Lehane's Live by Night Great read."

Hi Gary, We read another Lehane book in May. Would you like to nominate another book?

message 31: by Cyn (RaeWhit) (new)

Cyn (RaeWhit) Mike wrote: "The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French I nominate The Likeness by Tana French"

I second this nomination. I think it's the best of her four books. And they can all stand on their own, though they 'share' characters.

message 32: by Mago (new)

Mago (Mark) | 8 comments I'd like to suggest the beginning of an absolutely classic series.

Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1) by Ed McBain

message 33: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 51 comments Happy New Year. I nominate "The Racketeer" by John Grisham.

message 34: by Mago (new)

Mago (Mark) | 8 comments Paul 'Pezski' wrote: "Happy New Year everyone!

I'll nominate Case Histories, the first of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie detective series, which was filmed by the BBC a couple of years ago."

Seconded.
Happy New Year!

message 35: by Keith (new)

Keith Nixon | 2 comments I'd nominate this debut novel by Ryan Bracha Strangers Are Just Friends You Haven't Killed Yet

I'm reading it now and enjoying it, quite different to others I've read.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2013 04:47AM) (new)

Happy New Year everyone!

I'd like to nominate Memoria. A Corporation of Lies by Alex Bobl It's a good book and refreshingly optimistic.

I second Guy in saying that the choice in this thread is absolutely mind-boggling.

message 37: by Peri (new)

Peri (perikola) I'd like to nominate "A child is Torn, Innocence lost by Dawn Kopman Whidden. She is a first time author and I could't believe I couldn't put this book down once I started it. I really thing it deserves 6 or 7 *s

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-chi...

message 38: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 47 comments I'll second Defending Jacob. I've been meaning to get to that for a while it seems like a book with good discussion potential.

message 39: by Matt (new)

Matt (k9mayut) | 1 comments Defending Jacob is an excellent book. I read it a while back and it hooked me.

message 40: by Brenda (last edited Jan 04, 2013 04:47PM) (new)

Brenda Peri wrote: "I'd like to nominate "A child is Torn, Innocence lost by Dawn Kopman Whidden. She is a first time author and I could't believe I couldn't put this book down once I started it. I really thing it d..."

Not a nomination just showing the GR cover...

A Child Is Torn Innocence Lost by Dawn Kopman Whidden

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliegreenart) | 6 comments Hunter: Intrepid 2 That's my nomination! Fantastic read.

message 42: by Karly (new)

Karly Inabox I second the nomination for Hunter: Intrepid 2

Hunter: Intrepid 2

Read it. :)

message 43: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Phelan | 1 comments I third the nomination for Hunter: Intrepid 2

message 44: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan | 44 comments I would like to nominate Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre. This book is the first in the awesome Jack Parlabane series.

message 45: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1 comments Jeffrey wrote: "Happy New Year. I nominate "The Racketeer" by John Grisham."

Ill second this nomination.

message 46: by Frances (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:26AM) (new)

Frances Plino (francesdiplino) | 48 comments I would like to nominate The Charter by Gillian Hamer. I read and reviewed it earlier this year. You can read the review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... It's a great read and very different to the usual crime thriller.

message 47: by David (new)

David Gooch | 36 comments I'd like to nominate
Fallout (The Nick Sullivan Series, #1) by Karla Forbes Fallout by Karla Forbes.

"The British Government is being blackmailed by criminals who have got their hands on a quantity of plutonium left over from the cold war. Only one man knows their identity and can prevent a catastrophe but he is on the run for a murder he didn’t commit and has no intention of being found.
As the authorities attempt to hunt him down, the clock is ticking and they are running out of time. They pin their hopes on the fact that a bunch of amateurs won’t have nuclear technology and the worst they’ll come up with is a dirty bomb. With luck, the carnage can be limited. A few people might die in the explosion but the majority will run away at the first sign of danger and the radiation will drift harmlessly into the atmosphere.
But what if the terrorists have found a way of keeping the radiation near to the ground, encouraging people to hang around breathing in death and when they invite them to their own slaughter they come willingly?
They would be dangerous then...wouldn’t they?"

message 48: by Norene (new)

Norene Moskalski (norene_moskalski) | 5 comments I'd like to nominate Viral by James Lilliefors.

message 49: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 483 comments For something a little different, I would like to nominate The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill. It is the first book in the Dr. Siri Paiboum mystery series and is set in Laos.

message 50: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Bracha (ryanbracha) | 5 comments The Fix by Keith Nixon, a cracking story of murder and money, characters you can't help but like or hate, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. A top read.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.