What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fire Dog
This topic is about Fire Dog
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Laddy (spp?) the Firedog??? [s]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Jan 04, 2008 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Hi. I remember a book from when I was 3 (or possibly 2 or 4) years old called Laddy the Fire Dog. I seem to remember it looking like Lady the Fire Dog, but it was before I could read and I know that is wasn't Lady/a female dog.

From looking for it, it looks as though it might have been a Little Golden book but I can't find this exact title in the LGB lists.

I'm talking about a book that was out by the mid 1950s.

Thanks for any help. I know that this one is a longshot. (I have a photo of myself with this book...somewhere. If I can find that photo, maybe a magnifying glass will do the trick, if the title is visible.)

Edit: What I'd like is the exact title, author, how to find it, etc. Thanks.

message 2: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel Could it be Rags the Firehouse Dog published in 1952?

I was able to find this book on several used book dealer sites, but the only picture of the cover was on Ebay: the dog pictured in a firefighter's helmet, on brown or dark red background.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Cassiel, Thanks for the tip. I don't think so, but I will check it out. Will be back to say "SOLVED" if this is it. I appreciate the info.

message 4: by bup (last edited Jan 05, 2008 07:33AM) (new)

bup | 84 comments How about "Laddie, the Super Dog" (1954)?

http://www.amazon.com/Laddie-superdog...

Maybe not, though - was it a book of photos, instead of drawings? Because I found some of "Laddy the Superdog" in a cache of a blog, and it was words with photos.

message 5: by Kevyn (new)

Kevyn Or one of the "Lad, A Dog" stories by Albert Payson Terhune? They were first published in 1919 but have been through many printings and adaptations. The dog is a collie.

Multiple recent editions can be found on Amazon, but a couple of dealers at ABE have photos of older editions, most notably the 1953 Big Treasure Book edition.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc...

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks for the responses.

This was definitely a “Fire Dog” or “Firedog” and I’m almost sure that the name of the dog was something like Laddy but I’m less positive about that.

I couldn’t find the cover to the Rags book on eBay or anywhere else so, while I don’t think that’s the one, I’m still researching that book.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments going to try to bump this to see if anyone new can remember - it was the first book I remember...thanks...

message 8: by Coralie (new)

Coralie Johnson | 25 comments The dog's name could have been Lassie as there are numerous Lassie books.

message 9: by bup (new)

bup | 84 comments what was the book about? Was there a fire? Or was it just about living in a fire house? Or did something else happen?

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Nope, not a Lassie.

I was 2; maybe I still had the book at 3 at the oldest. the name sounded like Laddy. Laddy was a black & white Dalmatian. He lived in the firehouse with the fireman and I think he rode on the red truck(s). They must have gone out and fought a fire at some point but I don't remember. The work at the firehouse was described.

I've looked everywhere and I'm a reasonably good researcher. The closest I got to this was something in the Little Golden Books collection.

I'm pretty sure it was titled Laddy the Fire Dog.

Would have had this read to me in 1955-1956.

So, I"m not expecting miracles here. But I thought that I'd try one more time just in case anyone knew or could find it.

Thanks everybody.

message 11: by julie (new)

julie (maguire708) | 8 comments How about Sparky: Firehouse Dog... there was a fire prevention gve away of this book (one on ebay right now is dated 1955) and is item # 60094189780 --- GOOD LUCK!!!
julie

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks Julie, I'll check it out.

message 13: by Kevyn (new)

Kevyn Lisa, Have you found this one yet?

Have you already ruled out L. F. (Lily Foster) Wesselhoeft's "Jack, the Fire Dog"? I previously ignored it because of the dog's name, but her "Laddie, Master of the House" or "Laddy, the House Dog" also show up in many turn-of-the-century reading lists for 5th graders. I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine your parents reading their childhood favorite to you as a toddler.

It has been digitized at http://books.google.com/books?id=B8MX...

The illustrations are of horse-drawn engines rather than trucks as you remember, so it is a stretch but since it is online, thought it would be worth a look. Some other review mentioned that the story of Jack's friendship with a blind lad was the most memorable.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Kevyn,

Thanks so much for bumping this up because I still haven't found it. No, it's no Jack the Fire Dog. The illustrations were less like photos and more like the drawings you see in typical books for preschoolers, at least those that were around in the early 50s. And the story doesn't ring a bell either.

I think I've researched everywhere there is to research.

Somewhere in a box I have a photo of myself at age 2 1/2 with a book that might be it. My next job is to find that photo and blow it up if need be.

But I really appreciate your efforts.

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 55 comments I think the dogs name is Dally if that helps...I couldn't find much on the summary of the book, but maybe the picture will look familiar

message 17: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Jul 15, 2008 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Emily,

Bingo!

This might be it.

By the way, I think I'm confusing 2 different dog books.

But that photo sure looks familiar but I'm not sure if it's from my research or from when I had the book.

But, you might have it.

It's the best lead I have.

For now I"ll put this in solved.

I'm considering buying a copy of the book.

I'll put the question back in if I find for sure it isn't it.

Emily and everyone that's tried to help. Thank you so much!

Edit: I just ordered a copy. The $3.99 shipping price was higher than the book price. Emily, thanks again so much. I really appreciate it. I think there's about a 90% chance that this is the book. Then there's the other dog book...I'll have to think about that one.

message 18: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments The $3.99 shipping price was higher than the book price.

That's true of 90% of the books I order online. :D

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I received the book today and remembered it immediately, and it actually holds up, which surprised me a lot. It was my favorite book when I was 2 and I continued to like it when I was 3 and I think 4. I'm now 54 and have been looking for it for nearly 50 years! So, Thank you so much to everyone in this group who helped me find it!

message 20: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel Lisa, is the dog's name Dally? Isn't that interesting that you recalled it as Laddy, or Lady, reversing the spelling.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Cassiel,

Yes, the dog's name is Dally.

And not only did I mix up the name but I was "sure" that the book was titled Laddy the Firedog, not just Fire Dog.

I'm sure when I was 2 I was saying Read me the Dally the Fire Dog book, which is why I was mixed up. I hadn't seen the book since I was around 4 or 5 (when we must have given it away) so it's been about 50 years since I've seen it.

I didn't do too, too badly.

But thanks again all!!!