Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > When Did You Become a Bookworm?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I think it would be a nice way to get to know everyone in the group when we know what or who made us start reading in the first place.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (simplysarah13) | 315 comments I think I began reading at or around age 5. Even as a toddler, I had always loved books. When I was in kindergarten, I remember reading the books my class was reading in no time at all without any difficulty. it was something I liked to do. I honestly think my parents are the reason that I'm a bookworm. They've always encouraged my love of reading .

message 3: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments You started so young :) Well as for me, my father always read to me and my little brother, so it began then, when I was about 7, I think.

We were not very rich then, but my father always took us to the local bookstore every month :) It was a happy memory.

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jords) | 449 comments I think that my family always read to me and I was always going to the library but reading on my own first started when I was about 4/5 when my mum bought me Harry Potter :)

message 5: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Sounds great :D I guess most of us read because of our families then.

★RavenclawReader★ (stargazer101) | 299 comments My granddad loves reading, and since he's the only bookworm in my family, I would always ask him to tell me stories (this was when I was 5 or 6) and he would tell me about the Ancient Egyptians, and their collection of gods and goddesses. A year after that, he would give me book full of gruesome horror stories, and I wasn't' t scared...I loved them all. But it was in fourth grade, when I discovered the Harry Potter series, that my love for reading really peaked, I think.

message 7: by Sagey (new)

Sagey Pooh | 296 comments I started reading when I was three, all I really read was small, educational books. After a while, I started reading Dr. Suess and Judy Bloom. Once I got to fourth grade, my teacher read the first book to the series of unfortunate events and I just had to keep reading the rest of them. After that, I started getting books nonstop. I love reading. :)

message 8: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31442 comments I remember my mom, always with a Stephen King or "who done it" book, and I remember always wanting to read them

When I turned 10, my birthday present was a Library card and I remember getting lost in books from there!!

I know I was a reader before then, but it hit really hard when I could pick my own books. I remember always getting books for my birthdays and holidays....it must have been since I was little ;)

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Aww... everyone has very sweet memories when it comes to books. I guess at the end of the day, we are all pretty similar :)

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments I started reading pretty late. I never really liked reading, mainly because my mom used that as a way to improve my English. -_- In fifth grade, I started to read a lot, I think. I'd read in the auditorium when we were supposed to watch a movie. But when I went to middle school, I read a lot and I'm pretty sure I was the only one out of my friends who read.

message 11: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Only a few of my friends read too and they don't do it regularly either. I cannot talk books with them :( Thanks God for Goodreads :)

message 12: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Only one of my friends like to read D: All of my other friends say they hatehatehate to read!

message 13: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Only one of my friends like to read D: All of my other friends say they hatehatehate to read!"

Everyone is a reader. They just haven't found the right books yet :)

message 14: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments You know what? That's a great point and I've never though about it that way! My brother only likes to read books with cool facts in them and I was trying to find something he would like. I gave him my ereader and told him to start Dented Cans and he loves it so far! It makes me happy to see him reading!

message 15: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Good for him :) The world needs more bookworms lol... I have successfully turned my brother into a bookworm also. but he is still in college, so I don't think he reads much now.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments My brother reads comics... well, not necessarily comics, but graphic novels. :/ He has no interest in the books I read LOL. As for my sister, I don’t let her read my books.

message 17: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments why not? Is she too young for those books? :)

message 18: by Jasz (new)

Jasz (never_more_enchanted) | 87 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Jacquelyn wrote: "Only one of my friends like to read D: All of my other friends say they hatehatehate to read!"

Everyone is a reader. They just haven't found the right books yet :)"

Amen to that girls and boys (no, I'm not a Christian, but still)

Altought I do think that you also have to be a little bit open-minded, because a lot of people I know, never read and say they hate it before they have even tried to like it you know? They say they hate it because apperently: to like reading is the same as being a geek, and we don't want that now do we?

Just remember: I'm not a geek, I'm just smarter than them =)

I actually really started reading when I was about 13. Before that I still read occasionally but a lot less, now I read at least one book a week, normally a lot more, but back then I read just one book a month and just because I had to. For some reason I knew I liked to read but it just took me a lot of time and books to realize what kind of books I liked to read and to be honest it was twilight (Stephanie Meyer) that opened my eyes, I realize now that the 'saga' is definitely not one of the best, but back then, when I hadn't read many books that were any better, I really liked it =)

message 19: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Some people told me reading makes them sleepy. I, for one, cannot sleep until I finish the book if it is interesting enough :)

message 20: by Ariel (new)

Ariel  (allthebookfeels) | 418 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Some people told me reading makes them sleepy. I, for one, cannot sleep until I finish the book if it is interesting enough :)"

Reading gets me sleepy especially when the heater is on and i'm laying in bed w/ blankets. I just get too comfortable and at times I think I'm still reading the book because the book goes on but it turns out i'm making up the story while starting to nod off..x)

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Gisbelle wrote: "why not? Is she too young for those books? :)"

LOL yeah. Maybe when she's older..

message 22: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments @Ari, that makes sense :) I think I would run off to dream land also X)

@Angela, you are a good sister. Yes, better watch out for her!

@Sarajayne, I wish I had been homeschooled also. And don't give up on encouraging your kids to read (I know you won't).

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments I pretty much have to, because my brother doesn't care what she reads. -_-

message 24: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Aww... I wish I had a sister :)

message 25: by Ruth Noemi (new)

Ruth Noemi Rojas (httpwwwgoodreadscomcollinss66) | 344 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Only a few of my friends read too and they don't do it regularly either. I cannot talk books with them :( Thanks God for Goodreads :)"

Yes!! Thank GOD for Goodreads!! I"m so thankful for this website. I really am. I only have one friend and her sister that like to read. Other than that, I don't really have any friends that like to read.

message 26: by Jasz (new)

Jasz (never_more_enchanted) | 87 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Aww... I wish I had a sister :)"

Pff, I have a sister, she's 13, not that much fun since she thinks of me as her enemy =(

message 27: by Ariel (new)

Ariel  (allthebookfeels) | 418 comments Only my mom in my house reads and I think she is to blame for my addiction hahah. She reads nothing but mysteries though (Sue Grafton, Dean Koontz,I Erica Spindler etc) Which got me into reading as I remember always going through her bookshelves and picking out books to read. my favorite author in mysteries being Erica Spindler.

message 28: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Yes Ruth :) I read more books because of GR also.

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Never_more_enchanted wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Aww... I wish I had a sister :)"

Pff, I have a sister, she's 13, not that much fun since she thinks of me as her enemy =("

LOL. My sister's the complete opposite. "Angela, we're best friends, right?" "No, go away."

message 30: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Angela (: wrote: "Never_more_enchanted wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Aww... I wish I had a sister :)"

Pff, I have a sister, she's 13, not that much fun since she thinks of me as her enemy =("

LOL. My sister's the compl..."

That's so funny :)

message 31: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Potayta (trobes7x) | 1657 comments I always loved reading books, but when i was younger i chose a series to read for summer reading
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel I loved the cover and ended up reading the whole series. I then read Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann for the other book and i loved that as well. I always read books for summer reading, but once i read The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins I started reading a lot faster and getting my kindle from my aunt made me read like crazy, because i didnt have to wait for books

message 32: by Jasz (new)

Jasz (never_more_enchanted) | 87 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Angela (: wrote: "Never_more_enchanted wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Aww... I wish I had a sister :)"

LOL. My ..."

With me it's more like: "Go read a book, it'll improve your Dutch/English"
"Why are you always telling me what to do, you like to make me angry, don't you? I hate you, you're the worst sister ever! I'm sick of you treating me this way!! Always acting as if you are so much better then me, you are sooo fat, why don't you just go die in a hole? ..."
Did someone just say drama queen?
And for some reason I still love her to dead

message 33: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) There's this book I buy from our local bookstore here in my place, it's a compilation of true to life horror stories. It's called "True Philippine Ghost Stories"..

I started reading novels when I borrowed Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling though the first book I've read was . Heidi (Kingfisher Classics) by Johanna Spyri

message 34: by Gisbelle (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:05AM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Never_more_enchanted wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Angela (: wrote: "Never_more_enchanted wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Aww... I wish I had a sister :)"

Pff, I have a sister, she's 13, not that much fun since she thinks of me as her en..."

Funny thing about siblings right? You hate them, but at the same time love them to death :) I am very close with my brother, but sometimes, we also cannot see eye to eye :)

message 35: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Beatrice wrote: "There's this book I buy from our local bookstore here in my place, it's a compilation of true to life horror stories. It's called "True Philippine Ghost Stories"..

I started reading novels when I..."

A great start Beatrice!

message 36: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Sam- That's so nice that you and your brother have such a good relationship! It's important!

message 37: by Gisbelle (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Me too :) A sister would be nice to talk to about girl stuff :D

message 38: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I know! I wish I had a sister! I mean I love my brother but there is some stuff that I can't talk to him about openly!

message 39: by Jasz (new)

Jasz (never_more_enchanted) | 87 comments I know what you mean but don't forget that talking with your brother/sister depends on the agedifference between the two of you, if you have a sister who's only a year younger/older then you are it's easier/possible to talk about (almost) everything, but if she/he is six or more years younger (like my sister) that's not really possible. I have two brothers and one sister, believe me : I know what I'm talking about =)

message 40: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments That makes so much sense lol...

message 41: by Liz (new)

Liz Gruder (lizgruder) | 3 comments The first thing I ever bought with my allowance when I was 6 was a Winnie the Pooh book. Loved it! Thereafter, I used to hide under my covers with a flashlight & book when I was supposed to be asleep. Yes, it was hot & stuffy! ;-)

message 42: by Lauri (new)

Lauri I never realized there was anything worth reading until I was in ninth grade. But it was years later until I got the bug - the one where if you pick the book up all other necessary activities are over looked until the last page. For the last five month, my only form of solitary entertainment has been books. If my television were to die this afternoon I would have no need to replace it. Just think I could use those funds to purchase more books.

message 43: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments I don't really remember when I became a bookworm. According to my mom I always loved books. She took me to the library when I was little and I was all quiet and looking at the books. :) I even have a library pass that my mom got me when I was 3 years old (and used it for many years after that, until I moved and had to get another library pass). And I know I tried to read while I was supposed to sleep. I either used a flashlight or the light of the hallway, or in the summer (I used to arrange my room often, so my bed was sometimes near the window) that I opened the curtains a bit to read. I know I always read lots. And still do. :)

message 44: by Olga (new)

Olga Miret (goodreadscomolganm) Mehsi, I suspect my case was similar. My parents insist that I wanted to know what written signs said before I learned to read and I always wanted books for presents. (I liked dolls too but...). I always carried a book with me. And I would regularly go for walks whilst reading a book (I won't tell you the fun stories about it...). Now I've discovered that I can use the machines in the gym whilst reading on an e-reader...
I find books comforting and never feel complete if I'm not carrying one...

message 45: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Liz wrote: "The first thing I ever bought with my allowance when I was 6 was a Winnie the Pooh book. Loved it! Thereafter, I used to hide under my covers with a flashlight & book when I was supposed to be asle..."

Aww... :)

message 46: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Lauri wrote: "I never realized there was anything worth reading until I was in ninth grade. But it was years later until I got the bug - the one where if you pick the book up all other necessary activities are o..."

Thank God you go that bug :P I haven't watched TV for months now. It is not as interesting as books. :)

message 47: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Mehsi and Olga, we have similar childhood :)

message 48: by Liz (new)

Liz Gruder (lizgruder) | 3 comments Gisbelle wrote: I haven't watched TV for months now. It is not as interesting as books.

Yes! When I watch TV, so often I get aggravated with the mind-numbing plots & plasticity... books are so much more intriguing and all-encompassing. Prob better for the mind cells too! In fact, I'll go so far as to bet that readers have higher IQs than TV addicts... Thank God for the bookworms in this world!

message 49: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Liz, I really believe so as well.

message 50: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Olga wrote: "Mehsi, I suspect my case was similar. My parents insist that I wanted to know what written signs said before I learned to read and I always wanted books for presents. (I liked dolls too but...). I ..."

I mostly wanted books as presents too. :) And I am still carrying a book with me everywhere, so that I can read if I have some free time.

« previous 1 3 4