Start by marking “Hop On Pop” as Want to Read:
Hop On Pop

Hop On Pop

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  44,121 ratings  ·  1,220 reviews
This charming book introduces young children to words that rhyme, such as Hop and Pop, Cup and Pup, Mouse and House, Tall and Small. And once they have learned to recognize one word, children soon find to their delight they can read another simply by changing the first letter.
Paperback, Dr. Seuss Blue Back Books, 64 pages
Published May 6th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Hop On Pop, please sign up.

·  44,121 ratings  ·  1,220 reviews

Leftbanker
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Call me old fashioned but I think that there is far too much pop hopping going on in America these days. It's disgusting, revolting, quite possibly illegal, and then they turn around and turn it into a children's book? What's next? Leaving two unsupervised children alone with a giant cat? An elephant wedging an egg in his butt? Non-traditionally colored eggs and pork products? A Christmas-thieving scallywag? A fox wearing human undergarments? Oobleck? That just has to be filthy. Where does it en ...more
Archit Ojha
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks
And then we might be 22 and 21 year olds and yet we sing in a rhythm invented on our own.

" Mr. BROWN Mrs. BROWN
Mr. Brown upside down.
Pup up. Brown down.
Pup is down. Where is Brown?
WHERE IS BROWN? THERE IS BROWN!
Mr. Brown is out of town. "

Dr. Seuss injects the wordplay enthusiasm into the bloodstream. Ageless and timeless.
Mike
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
It just didn't do it for me--no character development, no irony, no existential angst, it was almost like a children's book.
Mike
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
At first I thought it was really sad the way the children showed such a great amount of disrespect for their father. It seems today many children "Hop on Pop" as well as mothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even friends in a desperate attempt to get attention in a world where so many children are ignored. As I read on, it became clear that it was not "teen angst" or "rebellion" that caused them to "Hop on Pop", but an effort to feel loved and spend quality time with dad. I would recommend "Hop o ...more
Patricia
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2 year olds and their parents
I am currently reading this book. And I'll be reading it again in 5 minutes. And 10 minutes after that. It is my daughter's favorite book. A special thanks to Dr. Seuss for making this book tolerable to read over and over.
G.c.
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
Why I hate theis wonderful book.

“HOP ON POP”
by Gerard C. Smith

Come "Hop on Pop," my Lisa said
And hop of course is what she did
Her brother joined in with a jump
On Poppa’s tum he went crash-bump
Lisa hopped and hopped some more
She knocked poor Poppa to the floor
Both kids did bounce, each up and down
Poor Pop was trounced and he did frown
Now he hates that bastard T. Geisel
And hopes the rotter roasts in hell

Rfrancik
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-early-readers, 1-e
Full of three letter words in a unique and visually practical graphical format Hop on Pop takes the reader through several humerous story about creatures whose actions are characterized by simple phonetically repetitious words.

Hop on Pop was different from any of the other phonics readers I looked at. To begin with the story makes sense. We immediately like the characters whose expressions show an astounding range of emotion. Best of all Suess uses vocabulary an emerging reader can sound out in
Will
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Will by: My Mommy
I love this book and I have read it several times. My favorite character is Will Hill, he is the one who goes up the hill. For some reason the author felt compelled to rhyme line after line, but I will not whine because this book is so very fine. There is danger- when the people playing ball fall off of the wall and when they fight all night, and there are some adult themes like when Red, Ned, Ted and Ed are in bed and when Mr. Black leaves his wife for Mr. Brown. Otherwise it is a wholesome rea ...more
Austin Boosinger
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An ambitious exploration of social dexterity, "Hop on Pop" may be the most important book of our time. Rather than viewing Pop-hopping as rude or cruel, Seuss argues that it is a delightful, possibly necessary act.

"Hop on Pop" is the most important, timely book you will ever read. Now excuse me, I've got to find my Pop.
Michael
You really can't go wrong with Dr. Seuss. Well, that is, unless you're trying to read this book full of tongue-twisting phrases to your infant daughter.

Luckily she won't remember that Daddy didn't do well the first time out -- and that was only on the abridged version of the book!

If you want a book to enjoy being utterly silly with your kids with, this is it.
Donovan
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss? This is the first book I ever bought and read to my daughter. And she loved it. This book, and owning a dog, probably taught her the word "pup." And it certainly taught her to hop on pop. I know, the book tells you to not hop on pop. But kids don't understand negatives until later. And it's so much more fun to hop on pop anyway.
Chicklet
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: begining readers
Shelves: picture-books
I have a funny story about a friend and this book.
A friend of mine told me that in 8th grade she was assigned the task of writing a book report. My friend noted that the teacher said nothing about the length or level of the book and took full advantage. She chose Hop on Pop. The best part is that she made her book report about parental abuse....
Maria
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
"The simplest Seuss for youngest use". Indeed. Most illustrations come in pairs with the punch-line in the second one. Gotta love a book that shows a kid aggressively biting a tiger's tail or two kids hitting one another in the head with tennis racquets. The man is a genius.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
If There's A Wocket in My Pocket was full of made-up words for rhyme's sake, Hop On Pop is full of couplings for rhymes sake. The first pages go:

"UP PUP
Pup is up.

CUP PUP
Pup in cup.

PUP CUP
Cup on pup."

It pretty much follows that format all the way through, and I have to say, they aren't the easiest rhymes to say! Some of them are absolute tongue twisters, which I think was deliberate.

What's cool about it is how it's a grammar book in disguise. The kids I read this too are young toddlers, busy con
Emerald Sue
Night
Fight
We fight all night.
Tyler Jones
Sometimes fiction follows a logic of its own. Sometimes this fictional logic explains the world in clearer terms than a purely “realistic” story ever could. Sometimes an author subtly injects metaphor into a narrative to illustrate a point, but occasionally the entire narrative is itself metaphorical. Take, for example, The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka in which the protagonist wakes up one morning to discover he has been turn into a big cockroach. This is not realism. If we reject the story beca ...more
Lissa
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
Hop on Pop is a wonderful way for children to learn about rhyming words. The words are basic and easy, and with lots of repetition this can be a great first book to read. The illustrations coincide with the words which clarifies the meanings of the words. The characters that Dr. Seuss uses are fun and interesting which makes this book entertaining for all.

Learning Experience:
This activity helps children recognize rhyming words and uses gross motor skills. I found this activity from the website w
Cole Wuilleumier
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine read this book to me a about a month ago. From what i remember it was really funny because almost all the words rhymed! I would recommend this book to any aspiring poet or kid.
Soplada
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this is a great way to teach English for children and foreign learners .
Sarah Grace Grzy
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a completely unashamed fan of Dr. Seuss! I just love his books! I used to read them aloud to my little brothers all the time. :)
Margaret
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was one of the first books I ever learned to read.
Neda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH I loved it... GREAT ^-^
Marlon
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The first book i ever read! good times!
Rebecca
Very little of this book had to deal with achieving altitude off of one's father.
Megan
Mar 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: formative_years
The first book I ever read. The perfect first book to read. My whole life has been perfect, all because of this book.
Katie
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute nessecity on any toddler's bookshelf. :-)
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
More fun and delight from the great and brilliant mind of Dr. Seuss.
Jen
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ps-2019, aty-2019
Still clever and cute all these years later. Especially like the pup in a cup.
Kymberly
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute book! Simple and easy for beginning readers!
ELIT 630: Controversial Picture Books 4 6 Jun 04, 2018 04:36PM
Book Talk 1 1 Aug 10, 2017 08:18AM
Seuss Lovers: Hop on Pop 1 1 Dec 06, 2012 06:38PM

• In a People House
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
  • The Nose Book
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes