Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Been Buying, Been Reading? > The state of your TBR after 2012?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments Uuuh I've been a little naughty this year.
I had planned to have less unread books on my shelves by now, than when the year started - but I didn't *quite* succeed...
I've read 116 titles this year, but quite a few of them were ebooks, audiobooks and library books. In total I've read 59 of the physical books I own.
And how many new, physical books did I buy? 168....
:-)

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Dec 27, 2012 05:55AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Louise, if it makes you feel any better, of the 500 books I added to my collection this year, I've only read about 200 of those. Being a chronic rereader of what I've owned for years as well as checking out about another 100 books to read from the public library, to be honest, I'm surprised I did read as much of what I bought as I did.

message 3: by Louise (last edited Dec 27, 2012 05:56AM) (new)

Louise | 280 comments Wow :-) (I'd be a lot worse if my husband wasn't trying desperately too keep my from filling the entire house with books!)
How many books do you own in total Joseph?

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
At last count, the total number of books in my library is a mere 5117. :-)

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Oh, Joseph! Someone with a TBR shelf like my own. :D

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments The answer to the subject of this thread is... longer/higher than before 2012. ;-)

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 70 comments Laura wrote: "The answer to the subject of this thread is... longer/higher than before 2012. ;-)"

ditto

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (philathans) | 35 comments I had a very bad year in terms of reading for pleasure. Only finished 17 books, gave up on 8 ... pathetic. My TBR library is probably about 800 strong still, and at that rate I still have a 32-year inventory of unread books, which brings me to age 80.

Two options: READ MORE or open a used bookshop. I'll try the former first!

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments Still HUGE! Ebooks and library books dominated the last 3 months of the year for me. But I didn't buy that many in the last 3 months either (we won't talk about the 28 book binge in late summer) I am really going to try to set my sights on more of my owned-unread books this year. I think 2 a month is a good start, though it won't put a dent in the 900+ I have.

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller my TBR is still huge. I try to be good, but everyone recommends stuff and then we have these challenges in the groups where everyone is listing and sorting... ugh!!

i see titles and authors everywhere... "I see good reads" *says with cold ghost-breath*

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) No kidding, I really added to my TBR list this year:

Stats

New Books Acquired - 489
To Be Read Shelf Grew By (And still hasn't been read, including borrowed and E-books) - 408

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) There's currently 86 books on my TBR shelf and 40 of those are on my owned to read shelf. And I know of at least another 10 books that I want to read that haven't been added to any shelf. @Erin - That will keep you busy this year :)

message 13: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments I am reading from my tbr shelf ,3right now

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Rebecca wrote: "There's currently 86 books on my TBR shelf and 40 of those are on my owned to read shelf. And I know of at least another 10 books that I want to read that haven't been added to any shelf. @Erin - T..."

Yeah but what about all the books bought years before I still haven't read? :( This addiction, I tell ya!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) I know how you feel, I've got loads of books that I haven't read, and I've had them for years. But I still keep buying new ones. I keep going into shops and seeing cheap books and buying them, knowing I have loads on my shelf to read. And I have to force myself not to go to the library haha

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments Rebecca wrote: "I know how you feel, I've got loads of books that I haven't read, and I've had them for years. But I still keep buying new ones. I keep going into shops and seeing cheap books and buying them, know..."

I have exactly the same problem. Just recently finished reading a book (for the first time) which I bought about 16 years ago. Ooops!

message 17: by Joy (new)

Joy TBR is still huge! I did do alot better, int he buying department, though,this year I think I kept it under 30! (If you exclude all the freebies for the Kindle! LOL) In 2011 I bought over 50! So, that is an improvement. I think what helped me was making a "Predetermined reading list" for 2012. I figured "Well, I can't read any new ones until 2013, so why bother buying them now?" But This year I'm just gonna read whatever I feel like! So, my buying may increase!

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I actually culled out some of my books at the beginning of 2012 and found them some very good homes at the library and with friends who enjoy some of the books I had that weren't really ones I liked. I was so proud, all my books fit on 3 bookshelves. Now it's the start of 2013 and I have 4 bookshelves and 5 stacks of books waste high in my bedroom waiting for me to purchase another bookshelf for them.

That doesn't count the 85 books I've downloaded onto the kindle.

or the 1000 books I marked that I'd like to read on this site that I haven't bought yet.

I don't think I'll ever get them all read but I'll have fun trying.

message 19: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments Shannon wrote: "Still HUGE! Ebooks and library books dominated the last 3 months of the year for me. But I didn't buy that many in the last 3 months either (we won't talk about the 28 book binge in late summer) I ..."

2013 brings my tbr to barely manageble. i want most of my books on my kindle.

message 20: by Paulfozz (last edited Dec 29, 2013 10:57PM) (new)

Paulfozz Sonya wrote: "2013 brings my tbr to barely manageble. i want most of my books on my kindle. ."

The end of 2013 brings my to read pile to new heights! Even though I read more books than I ever have, buying 240 books this year didn't help much, leaving me with 292 of my own books to read. Still it's been an amazing year for finding really interesting books, I bought loads of really interesting nature and history books this year, even if most of them are still waiting on the shelf to be read. ;-)

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments I'd be quite happy if my to-read pile was less than 300 books. ;-)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I acquired 500 new books and my TBR pile grew by 546. I read 107. TBR was 974 in 2012, now 1,520 in 2013

message 23: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 36 comments I don't wanna know the size of my tbr pile tbh they will eventually get read in the future, when I feel like reading them really so I will continue buying a mixture of new and used books that I will read at some point in the future.

message 24: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments My pile after new year's is still 100 +. 2014

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments Hmmm my status:
34 ebooks tbr
11 audiobooks tbr
1000+ regular books tbr

message 26: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments Naughty and bit off more than i can chew. Borrowed more bks than i read.

message 27: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments I have no TBR pile. Am I deprived?

message 28: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments Do any of us feeled soothed by just having books around. I do

message 29: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments Your are an extremely deprived person, lol. On average, how many books do you read per month?

message 30: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments I read a book a month i think

message 31: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments I have 823 books listed on my TBR shelf here at Goodreads the majority if those I own, but not all. I read 200 books last year and upped my goal to 212 for current year. I read 15-20 books per month. So far this year, I am reading more each month than buying, but that dies not count the ones I get from library, lol.

message 32: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments I probably read about 2 books a month, Linda. That is I manage to complete about 2, but I try many samples on the e-reader before rejecting them or just occasionally ploughing on through them. I have over 3000 in my library and often read bits and pieces.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments Sonya wrote: "Do any of us feeled soothed by just having books around. I do"

Oh definitely.

David, no, you're not deprived. You're lucky. :)

message 34: by K (new)

K | 286 comments I feel soothed with books around me, too. I also feel this way about dogs.

message 35: by K (new)

K | 286 comments When I feel sad, cuddling my dogs (or any dog) makes me feel much, much better.

message 36: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) | 99 comments I also feel soothed with books around me Kiera. A comfort zone away from this hectic world, where I can slow down and read at my own pace.

message 37: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments Yes, I'm lucky, Laura, in that I have no Mount TBR. But I now find a little pile of books that I will definitely have a look at sometime soon ... that is I find on my Kindle a book I'd half-read last year, found interesting enough not to delete, returned to in an odd moment and began to like. So that's one. Then I found another that I picked up in a charity shop last year - The Rebel Angels, by Robertson Davies. That's two! And yesterday was father's day and lo and behold my daughter appears with card and wrapped present. Another book! This one, Stories of Fatherhood, is an anthology of short stories , some by my favourite authors - Carver,Doctorow, Frank O'connor et al. That's three! Am I starting the dreaded TBR?

message 38: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments Do you cuddle books as well as dogs, Kiera?

message 39: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Lol, sometimes!

message 40: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Speaking of hugging books, I just realised I have been watching tellie with a book sitting on my lap for the last 1/2 hour. Lol

message 41: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments At least you don't have to take the book for a walk 3 times a day and clean up after it!

message 42: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Dogs are worth that. They are the best things on this earth. They have helped me through mild depression and given me a reason to be. They are everything to me. Books come in second to them for me.

message 43: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 29 comments Really, and I thought they were just for Christmas!

message 44: by K (last edited Jun 16, 2014 04:33PM) (new)

K | 286 comments I have 383 on my TBR shelves. I currently have 4 others that I am reading.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments My TBR is still over 400 books. I can't stop myself from buying more. Or borrowing from the library.

message 46: by K (new)

K | 286 comments I don't go to the library, but definately can't stop buying! Lol

message 47: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 72 comments I was so very very good for about 6 weeks. Then I had to buy a text book for my Italian class and I thought - oh why not just buy one more while I'm at amazon anyway. 17 books later.....

message 48: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Omg 17 books from Amazon? Maaan, those were the days!

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 72 comments Its just so cheap - I can't help myself. I need a new bookcase which is not cheap so I should not allow myself to buy any more books until I have a bookcase to put them on!

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments Even if I did manage to get a new set of bookshelves, I am not entirely sure that I could fit all my books onto those shelves. They would definitely help, no doubt about that, but how much, that's the question.

« previous 1